• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
This article suggests the FA has the power to break away from FIFA's rules. True/False?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...FA-use-goal-line-technology--Dave-Whelan.html

False. FIFA can disassociate themselves from a competition easily, which means that UEFA as a member of FIFA would have to remove teams from that comp in European tournaments.

I've been through this in Australia. The referees board in Australia wanted to change the hand that the offside rule decision is given because it is easier and makes more sense for the referee in their opinion to use the left hand (defensive free kick, and it allows the AR to still look at the goal area easily if they are up the field).

For 18 months there was a shitfight over it and FIFA threatened to disassociate from FFA, A-League and ban Australian referees from international appointments. In fact it got so close that basically FIFA gave an ultimatum. It led to most of the top tier referee staff and managers being rolled by FFA to ensure they didn't lose FIFA status.

So yes, FIFA has power, and they do use it.

Blablurn

It's not often I've had an opportunity to applaud West Ham for brilliant attacking play this season, so here's Vaz Te's hat-trick from Saturday against Brighton;

vazte1.gif
vazte2.gif
vazte3.gif

I don't foresee any problems with our remaining 3 games, but we still need Southampton to slip up if we are to ensure automatic promotion. If not, well, if we can play like we did against Brighton in the play-off's, I'd fancy our chances and would love a day out at Wembley (last time we were promoted the final was at the Millennium Stadium).

iklVjLxQiIqPJ.gif

not bad

Ok, here wo go:

- Casillas = Neuer
(Cas. has proven to be world class, but Neuer, even though volatile, can be up there as well)

- Ramos > Badstuber
(Not much to say here..)

- Pepe > Boateng
(although both could easily be red carded or cause a penalty)

- Arbeloa < Lahm
(Not much to say here either since Lahm plays on the right wing)

- Marcello/Coentrao > Alaba/Rafinha
(Alaba is basically a makeshift left back, though he ain't too bad at it. While Rafinha is just crap...still, Coentrao is the better crap, lol)

- Khedira/Diarra > Gustavo/Tymoschuk
(Gustavo is even worse offensively than Khedira and Tymoschtschuk? He's just stuck in the past, looking all like Kurt Cobain..)

- Alonso/Sahin = Schweine/Kroos (Schweine comes off an injury, while Kroos is no better than Sahin at the DM, imho)

- Robben = Di Maria (Robben is still a one-trick pony & he's probably all effed up in the head from causing his team to lose vs. Dortmund. Di Maria on the other hand is too playful & comes off an injury too, from what I understand)

- Özil/Kaka > Müller/Kroos
(Neither Müller, nor Kroos are really fit for the 10er position..)

- Ronaldo > Ribery
(...)

Benzema/Higuain > Gomez/Olic
(If Gomez can't be fed crosses by the attacking midfielders, he's basically lost. As for participation in the passing game...the most he can do are 1-2s while being a horrid dribbler)

So far 7:1...or 6:4 for Bayern fans..whatever

Then there is Heynckes vs. Mourinho.
In a game without red cards and crap like that Mou's skills should shine through easily.
Heynckes has been basically out-coached by the Bundesliga's best managers (Klopp [Dortmund], Slomka [Hanover], Favre [Gladbach] & Tuchel [Mainz]). He has made some good decisions in regards to the defense and Bayern's defense ain't too bad these days, but he doesn't understand modern football. And more importantly, can't teach his players modern (=variable) formations. To be fair, he's got the wrong players for that too..

Still, Bayern might win the game at home very narrowly (with a goal through some corner or free kick, I bet), while going belly up at Bernabeu.

elseanio

England have been shit since at least the 2002 World Cup Finals when I first began to notice how shit they were. In fact, it was my first experience of watching a truly over-rated shit team and even though it's been a decade, they have remained the most over-rated shitty team.

Is there any context to this? Seems completely random for them to do this

I've read various reports that it was organized on some Chelsea forums in protest to having to play on the 15th (3 days before Barcelona) to accommodate Liverpool's request.

Choc

Banned
The fact he GUESSED makes the entire argument irrelevant. It is drilled into us you should never GUESS

especially a decision that game changing

Really doesn't matter about individual comparisons as the best team on paper is exactly that. It's all about which team performs on the night.

Imagine doing a Wigan v Man Utd comparison? Utd would win every single time.

yeah I know that all too well, but Bayern don't usually perform as a team anyways, lol
Offensively, for the most part they rely on some solo attempts by Robben/Ribery, defensively Robbery & Gomez don't really participate in defending (or only pretend to do so) so ind. comparison might be of some interest for this match-up.

Kyoufu

FIFA says they'll make a decision on July 2.

I have a feeling they'll give it the go-ahead and you'll see it in most leagues, not just here.

It all depends on the testing that FIFA are awaiting results on.

Choc

Banned
FIFA says they'll make a decision on July 2.

I have a feeling they'll give it the go-ahead and you'll see it in most leagues, not just here.

It all depends on the testing that FIFA are awaiting results on.

correct, sort of :)

IFAB will make the decision. FIFA basically just enforce IFABs rulings. and IFAB are notoriously fucking slow at doing anything (except breaking the offside rule for refs over and over again for a period of 4 years in a row a few years back)

Clegg

Well, in all fairness to the lad, that's a devastatingly lukewarm start to our spree.

Exactly. I fail to see what is he good about him.

He played well against United but he was nothing out of this world.

Also this move values Gaitan at a higher price than Silva and Mata.

Salazar

Wow.

Don't know if Benfica is just greedy or United don't know how to make transfers that doesn't benefit the other team so much more..

It's probably garbage, tho. The Da Silva bros and their families all live together. They have said that they would be ok if one of them moved on - that's how football works, and all that - but I really, really don't see Ferg selling Fabio when Raf is really hitting his first team straps. And especially not as a makeweight for some foetus with potential.

The loan thing is surprising but hey. A sale, and to another league, would be fucking weird.

neoanarch

Yeah I don't understand why such a huge deal is made about disallowed/allowed goals like that when they lost 5-1. Yeah attitudes change after a goal like that but 5-1 come on.

dc89

Lord Alan Sugar proposed goal line technology to the FA 15 years ago...

Says it all really, there has never been a desire to actually do it.

Choc

Banned
Yeah I don't understand why such a huge deal is made about disallowed/allowed goals like that when they lost 5-1. Yeah attitudes change after a goal like that but 5-1 come on.

without it the score would have been 1-1 for a period of time

i can tell you as a referee assessor myself (and referee) that every single time you have an impact like that on a match, you lose a LOT of points on the scorebook.

Final score never matters to referees bosses. What matters is did the referee have a direct impact on the game, and if so:

1) was the impact warranted (red card for example)
2) Did the referee have an influence on the game that should not have happened

Any time you make a decision which significantly affects a game you are marked on it.

Generally that is a sending off, goal or offside decision. Every single one you make, at the higher levels you are reviewed at the ground by assesors and then also on video after the match. If it is found your decisions had a gross impact on the game and they were wrong, you lose marks, and if its very bad, dropped divisions for 1-2 weeks to get your head right.

I assume the FA is the same, although the Elite panel is a bit of a protected species. I feel sorry for Atkinson, it was spur of the moment, and he is going to regret it for a long time, but you should never ever guess.

Oh to be a fly on the wall during his assessment this week.

neoanarch

I really don't agree with anyone saying those decisions didn't effect those games.

I'm not saying they don't. I also think what Young did is beyond poor sportsmanship but a total dick move against his old club. But at this level handling pressure is also part of the game.

Kyoufu

Shaking my head here.

This numpty Alan Curbishley just said Ashley Young didn't dive and the defender should "defend better".

Then he says goal-line tech is coming but it'd slow the game down.

offshore

Apparently Pardew jetted out to watch Jan Vertonghen yesterday. Really hope some of these defensive targets we keep getting linked with materialise in the summer.

Alright footyGAF. I'll see you in a week. Going on a vacation with the girlfriend b/c our b-days are within a week of each other and this is our gift to each other. I'll miss you guys though!

¡Hala Madrid!

Go Chelsea!

Chelsea should be fined.

It's retarded to fine the club for a few supporters being tasteless idiots, if the club don't try and make it stop/clearly state that they are very much against such shit? Yeah, sure go ahead and fine, but the clubs shouldn't be held responsible for fans doing such dumb shit. In the end the clubs has nothing to do with it, just like the clubs can't be held responsible for hooligans and what not despite what some stupid FA's think. They can try and prevent a lot of things from happening but not 100% as long as there's fans on the stands.

Kyoufu

It's retarded to fine the club for a few supporters being tasteless idiots, if the club don't try and make it stop/clearly state that they are very much against such shit? Yeah, sure go ahead and fine, but the clubs shouldn't be held responsible for fans doing such dumb shit. In the end the clubs has nothing to do with it, just like the clubs can't be held responsible for hooligans and what not despite what some stupid FA's think. They can try and prevent a lot of things from happening but not 100% as long as there's fans on the stands.

It was a joke. A lot of clubs get fined over a small bunch of "fans" doing stupid shit. Doesn't make much sense.

Tupac hologram is awesome.

It was a joke. A lot of clubs get fined over a small bunch of "fans" doing stupid shit. Doesn't make much sense.

and I disagree with that too. A few asshole Copenhagen fans did the same last year against Chelsea in CL after all the deaths in Japan and I can assure you neither the club or the majority of the fans agreed that it was ok to disrupt the min of silence. But fining the clubs? They have nothing to do with (the very small % of) fans behaving that way. Same goes for racist chants and what not, if the clubs are banning people who are identified and actively trying to do so, there's no reason to punish them.

Kyoufu

and I disagree with that too. A few asshole Copenhagen fans did the same last year against Chelsea in CL after all the deaths in Japan and I can assure you neither the club or the majority of the fans agreed that it was ok to disrupt the min of silence. But fining the clubs? They have nothing to do with (the very small % of) fans behaving that way. Same goes for racist chants and what not, if the clubs are banning people who are identified and actively trying to do so, there's no reason to punish them.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you here. Why not just punish the stupid fans instead?

Jesus christ that is creepy.

you ain't seen nothing yet...

Whatever decision Atkinson made would have to be a guess it's harsh to criticise him too harshly IMO.

Also let's not condemn chelsea fans over the actions of a few eh? If we did that fans of all clubs would all be cunts, some moreso than others eh Liverpool and Leeds fans :p

Choc

Banned
Whatever decision Atkinson made would have to be a guess it's harsh to criticise him too harshly IMO.

Also let's not condemn chelsea fans over the actions of a few eh? If we did that fans of all clubs would all be cunts, some moreso than others eh Liverpool and Leeds fans :p

but this is exactly why as a referee myself i cannot defend him. You are drilled from even the lowest grades NEVER EVER EVER guess a decision like that

you MUST be sure.

If it wasn't clearly a guess, it wouldn't be so bad.

Wilbur

Banned
Alright footyGAF. I'll see you in a week. Going on a vacation with the girlfriend b/c our b-days are within a week of each other and this is our gift to each other. I'll miss you guys though!

¡Hala Madrid!

Go Chelsea!

Have fun! Enjoy the holiday lovemaking. Try not to picture McLeish mid coitus

Wigan tonight yah? They probs won't win at the Emirates, but as long as their heads don't drop they'll be fine for the rest of the season

Also that Dre video is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom