• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

elseanio

Well I certainly hope the proper Chelsea fans aren't judged by the actions of the idiotic few...oh who am I kidding.

In any case, didn't see the game, but very pleased nonetheless. On to the CL!

I won't be holding any grudges towards Chelsea fans. It was definitely a minority of idiots.

Added a little more desire to beat them in the final thought.

Hixx

didn't watch the most of game, so maybe i'm missing something, but why are people complaining about atkinson when it's the assistant who makes the cross/didn't cross decision?

Atkinson gave it. Spurs players were trying to get him to go over and speak to the lino iirc.

Nero3000

didn't watch the most of game, so maybe i'm missing something, but why are people complaining about atkinson when it's the assistant who makes the cross/didn't cross decision?

Can't blame the assistant, too many bodies in the way (massive bundle in the goal). He couldn't and didn't make the call.

Messi

I am not saying ANYTHING about chelsea vs barca in this thread. As I am terrifed anything I say will blow up in my face. :/ Also getting no time on gaf the past few days means I am much quieter than usual.

TrueBlue

I won't be holding any grudges towards Chelsea fans. It was definitely a minority of idiots.

Added a little more desire to beat them in the final thought.

I have no doubt. Just annoys me when people generalise others on actions like that. Already been called a ¨load of bastards¨ on Facebook. Pisses me off.

Aye. this will fire up Liverpool if nothing else. And we always fail against Dalglish it seems. Gonna be very tight.

Rooney lashed out too?
Haha no, just alluding to the good old "WAYNE ROONEY" mantra.

I didn't it, not watched MoTD.

Was it similar to this?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/31/article-1306843155740-0C587A4600000578-603147_466x399.jpg[/IMG

Or no where near as bad. How bad a challenge on the Paul Scholes tackling scale of 1 to 10?[/QUOTE]It wasn't anywhere near as bad as that one. That one Scholes intentionally went for Zabaleta. This one he genuinely played the ball, he was a bit late but he had eyes on the ball the whole way and it wasn't a massively aggressive challenge.

It was probably his first foul of the game actually, a deserved yellow.

Arnie

Should be a cracking day! Looking forward to the match already - just the formality of Barcelona before then.

Same.

In a way I feel having a derby in the Semi will have really gone a long way to prepare the players. The intensity of that game, and what it means for everyone at the club was unbelievable. I know I'll feel a hell of a lot calmer come the Final than I was the Semi, and I've got to imagine some of that will transfer to the players. That and the fact we've already played a final at Wembley this season.

We've got West Brom next, last league game I'm going to before I return to Uni. Will feel good driving to the ground with my mates instead of getting a fuck off train journey on my own.

Either Steven Gerrad or John Terry will be lifting that trophy.

What a horrible realisation.
I wonder which one will make the world smile more?

Retire the one you don't need. It's under your name tag somewhere.

That did work cheers!

jbaWnEWRv50kUp.png

jvekgpVldr3Ci.png

I am trying to keep Blackburn up but am not sure if I can do it :/ Hoilett has 6 months on his contract and is leaving now its January :/

Wilbur

Banned
I'm gonna start a new save in a minute with a manager in each main league. HSV in Germany, dunno who in the other leagues. Will take snapshots as I go along.

FootballFan

Wow just reading through the posts that I missed, up to page 347 now, 10 pages of just Ashley Young dive discussions... get over it. Every team has a diver. So boring reading the same shit.
edit
page 349, still same shit..

Wilbur

Banned
But seriously Football Manager don't really fit this thread.

Penis Manager doesn't fit this thread. If any game fits this thread, it's probably football Manager

edit: but rest assured I didn't mean screenshot overload, just one of me buying Joe Cole for Man City

WJD

Penis Manager doesn't fit this thread. If any game fits this thread, it's probably football Manager

edit: but rest assured I didn't mean screenshot overload, just one of me buying Joe Cole for Man City

If Penis Manager was a thing, you'd definitely be Sutton.

I'd be Barca

Wilbur

Banned
If Penis Manager was a thing, you'd definitely be Sutton.

I'd be Barca

I'd be Everton; start off rather poorly leading you to believe that it's really not all it's cracked up to be before finishing strong and people realising the values of a powerful ginger head
disclaimer: i have dark hair

Kermit would be Liverpool; spending lots of money on a pretty young thing only to fail miserably to get up and instead blowing your load in a cup

Down at the slightest contact?

LOL

Wilbur

Banned
Garth Crooks on Rafael:

I have struggled with this player for some time. I don't think he is good enough to be a Manchester United player nor do I think his performances suggest he has worked out what is required to acquire that status. I do, however, have to accept that Sir Alex Ferguson sees something that I don't and therefore I am happy to concede. Against Villa, who were not in United's class, Rafael looked like a full-back that might, just might, in time replace Gary Neville.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17723923

Also when I see the name at the top of his column it fucking irritates me every time; why does it say Garth Crooks's? Surely it's Crooks'?

Garth Crooks is a terrible pundit IMO.

Rafael was quite good today, he's been better this year, getting more consistent, still makes some silly mistakes but he's getting the right mix between attacking and defending. Filling out has helped him alot.

Does anyone else feel that they post entirely too much in this thread?
Yes lol. Since we've moved to Community I hardly even look elsewhere actually.

Wilbur

Banned
Does anyone else feel that they post entirely too much in this thread?

Yes. I hardly post in other threads. The Batman one and will post a few times in the Tarantino one, and if there's a Bob Dylan thread lying around there will be semen residue everywhere from me, but apart from that...

I only joined GAF because I was looking for a good football thread and this was one where a bunch of fans would come. I used to be on the Empire Magazine forums before I was banned and that was shite. You'd get about 5 people in the sports section.

Wilbur

Banned
As far as I know the rule is you do the "s'" if it's plural as in the boys' car (car belonging to the boys) but the "s's" if it is someone's name like Charles's wife.

I always say Jesus' disciples. I've been doing it wrong :(

To clarify, I don't walk around saying Jesus' disciples. I mean if it came up in conversation

Garth Crooks on Rafael:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17723923

Also when I see the name at the top of his column it fucking irritates me every time; why does it say Garth Crooks's? Surely it's Crooks'?

What's the point in being a pundit if you're just going to say 'I don't rate him but somebody better qualified than me does rate him, so he must be good.' Not that he's much of a pundit anyway, the tit. He's better at discussing gang-warfare than he is football

Fintan

I always say Jesus' disciples. I've been doing it wrong :(

To clarify, I don't walk around saying Jesus' disciples. I mean if it came up in conversation
:lol
OK. I just googled it and according to the first result older classical names are often done with the "s'". The example actually uses Jesus. You're in the clear!

Clegg

I think I'll try to keep my GAF browsing to a minimum for the next 2 weeks. I have exams and I'm way behind on my preparation.

Also Wayne Rooney had his worst game for United in a while. I thought he was shockingly poor. His first touch was awful and he misplaced too many passes. He nad an awful game today. He hasn't been in great form for a while either.

We need him playing at his best if we want to guarantee the title.

Arnie

Rafael was pretty good against us twice this season, and he pulled off a fairly tasty back heel today, so I'll jump on the 'Garth Crooks is a hopeless tit' bandwagon.

Waiting for the inevitable, "That was Fabio."

Wilbur

Banned
I think I'll try to keep my GAF browsing to a minimum for the next 2 weeks. I have exams and I'm way behind on my preparation.

Also Wayne Rooney had his worst game for United in a while. I thought he was shockingly poor. His first touch was awful and he misplaced too many passes. He nad an awful game today. He hasn't been in great form for a while either.

We need him playing at his best if we want to guarantee the title.

Yeah I have exams at the end of the month. After the semi finals this week I'll try and restrict my browsing. Got an exam on the day of the Manchester Derby, hopefully I ace it.

Which reminds me, I should read something

Rooney was bad in the half hour I caught, but scored a goal. Go figure. He did seem lazy, but Fergie had it spot on. Hopefully it's a wake up call. 31 goals is a great return though, 3 off his best.

Rafael-da-Silva-v-Carlos-0061.jpg

Rafael is a hero forever and a day just for this. Still remember his game against Aalborg, was like his 2nd appearance for us, looked good that day and I was excited from then. Coming good now.

Rooney was good in the first half hour. Was linking up with Carrick very nicely. I don't know what's up with Rooney, I think Chriswok summarised it best. He just seems so within himself. I want him to score a 30 yard volley or something.

K1LLER7

Don't know what you guys think but, I really prefer Rooney to play as midfielder or a No.10 role rather than a striker. When he drops deep, he holds the ball well and his passing is similar to carricks and scholes. Not a big fan of him playing as the leading striker, don't think he's consistant enough to get 30+ goals a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom