• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently 'simulation' is punishable by a yellow card but I think it should warrant a straight red if done in the box. If a defender can get the same red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, then an attacking player should get the same treatment for trying to engineer a clear scoring opportunity.

But what about retrospectively? QPR had both a man sent off and a penalty given against them wrongly but the FA wouldn't even rescind the red card retrospectively because of this rule in regards to what the ref sees. It is a stupid rule and just as offensive as the initial dive. Let's hypothetically assume a miracle happened and they allowed retrospective punishment in those situations. What is an appropriate punishment for a player who wins a penalty by diving? Three match ban?

ShogunX

Strange. Joe Hart up for player of the year yet Tim Krul who has been a large part of Newcastle's unexpected brilliant league campaign is left out?

How surprising.

Kyoufu

Currently 'simulation' is punishable by a yellow card but I think it should warrant a straight red if done in the box. If a defender can get the same red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, then an attacking player should get the same treatment for trying to engineer a clear scoring opportunity.

But what about retrospectively? QPR had both a man sent off and a penalty given against them wrongly but the FA wouldn't even rescind the red card retrospectively because of this rule in regards to what the ref sees. It is a stupid rule and just as offensive as the initial dive. Let's hypothetically assume a miracle happened and they allowed retrospective punishment in those situations. What is an appropriate punishment for a player who wins a penalty by diving? Three match ban?

I'm not sure bans will prevent someone from doing it in an important game like a semi-final or final of a tournament.

I think the solution is if a referee thinks there is a case for a penalty then he should have the option to ask for a 2nd opinion with replay technology.

sneaky77

you cannot show a red card for simulation... I have seen yellow cards given when the ref thought it was a dive when it clearly wasnt.. that would just wreck the game further.

the game stops for a pk or a goal, so I dont see how reviewing that on the booth upstairs by another official with the replays slow down things any more

Carbonox

Krul, Coloccini, Cabaye and Ba (though questionable now as he hasn't scored in a while) have been the stand-out performers for Newcastle this season (Cisse came in January and Ben Arfa only really started performing from then onwards). Bit disappointed not to see even one Newcastle player mentioned but whatever.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
PFA Young Player;

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham),
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
Kyle Walker(Tottenham)
Danny Welbeck (Man United)

PFA Player:

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Joe Hart (Man City)
Scott Parker (Tottenham)
Wayne Rooney (Man United)
David Silva (Man City)
Robin Van Persie (Arsenal)

Where's Cleverley? Political list!

Krul, Coloccini, Cabaye and Ba (though questionable now as he hasn't scored in a while) have been the stand-out performers for Newcastle this season (Cisse came in January and Ben Arfa only really started performing from then onwards). Bit disappointed not to see even one Newcastle player mentioned but whatever.

who would win Newcastle player of the year?

Ba was on fire before he left for African nations cup, it might go to Cisse if he manages to secure 4th with a few more goals

tough choice for sure

Meier

Unpopular opinion: I think Lescott's been better than Kompany this season

Lescott has made some big plays and they're great together but he isn't at Kompany's level. I think it's pretty safe to say that Vidic is the only CB at a comparable level to Kompany in the Premier League.

doicare

PFA Young Player;

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham),
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
Kyle Walker(Tottenham)
Danny Welbeck (Man United)

PFA Player:

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Joe Hart (Man City)
Scott Parker (Tottenham)
Wayne Rooney (Man United)
David Silva (Man City)
Robin Van Persie (Arsenal)
I think there's been some kind of mistake with that list..............

Where's CLEVERLEY ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you cannot show a red card for simulation... I have seen yellow cards given when the ref thought it was a dive when it clearly wasnt.. that would just wreck the game further.

the game stops for a pk or a goal, so I dont see how reviewing that on the booth upstairs by another official with the replays slow down things any more

Why? And how would it ruin the game? Consider for the moment the status quo and how it would compare if we did warrant red cards for dives in the box

Wilbur

Banned
Lescott has made some big plays and they're great together but he isn't at Kompany's level. I think it's pretty safe to say that Vidic is the only CB at a comparable level to Kompany in the Premier League.

Oh on talent yeah, but I think Lescott's been better this season. I think on top of his game Reina's the best keeper in the league but he's been sloppy at times this season, and I'd have gone for Krul or Friedel over him

sneaky77

Why? And how would it ruin the game? Consider for the moment the status quo and how it would compare if we did warrant red cards for dives in the box

So if the player doesn't dive but the ref thought he did.. you get a red card. Uhmm.. I wonder which teams would be the most penalized... it certainly won't be the top teams.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So if the player doesn't dive but the ref thought he did.. you get a red card. Uhmm.. I wonder which teams would be the most penalized... it certainly won't be the top teams.

How's that any different than a player getting a red card after the other player dived?

Kyoufu

who would win Newcastle player of the year?

Ba was on fire before he left for African nations cup, it might go to Cisse if he manages to secure 4th with a few more goals

tough choice for sure

We'll see how they do in the next 5 games. If Cisse scores another 4 or 5 then he gets it.

sneaky77

How's that any different than a player getting a red card after the other player dived?

I only said that it will just further penalize smaller teams, while the top teams would still get all the calls.. so now you would get a wigan defender with a red card and their forward with a red card for an attempt to dive after he got clearly fouled.

Arnie

In line with what I said yesterday about why people often slate United, despite it being Young specifically who acted like a cunt, The Times have gone with the headline 'United Diving For The Finishing Line' in The Game today. Gave me a chuckle when I read it.

Kyoufu

In line with what I said yesterday about why people often slate United, despite it being Young specifically who acted like a cunt, The Times have gone with the headline 'United Diving For The Finishing Line' in The Game today. Gave me a chuckle when I read it.

Hopefully SAF gives him a good bollocking because that sort of stuff gives the whole team a bad image.

DominoKid

Lebron and Liverpool...a fitting association

nike-lebron-9-low-liverpool.jpg
nike-lebron-9-low-liverpool-2.jpg

nice shoe though. not as good as the Barca Kobes from last year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom