• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

My Newcastle player of the year is a tough one because of varying reasons.

Like I said, Krul, Coloccini, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse have been the stand-out performers. Tiote, Simpson and recently Ben Arfa have also showed real talent and efficiency.

Honestly can't call it. Maybe Ba.

ShogunX

Lescott has made some big plays and they're great together but he isn't at Kompany's level. I think it's pretty safe to say that Vidic is the only CB at a comparable level to Kompany in the Premier League.

Might just be my Liverpool bias but Daniel Agger us up there with Kompany and Vidic. He's an outstanding defender with the rare trait of being quality with the ball at his feet.

485296_10150694358798370_508568369_9617837_1199828496_n.jpg

ShogunX

My Newcastle player of the year is a tough one because of varying reasons.

Like I said, Krul, Coloccini, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse have been the stand-out performers. Tiote, Simpson and recently Ben Arfa have also showed real talent and efficiency.

Honestly can't call it. Maybe Ba.

From an outside view I would say Coloccini and it's not a particularly hard choice. He's been superb all season and the fact that he holds that back line together so well with the quality of the players around him is something to admire.

At the start of the season I remember reading a couple of articles previewing the season and a lot was made of Newcastle's ''Championship'' level back four so for me Coloccini deserves a lot of praise.

MPW

Everything fitted so well together that one could become a believer in Intelligent Design: Dortmund have a young, talented team who follow their young, talented manager with cult-like fervour. They have fanatical, patient fans, a supportive local press and they're a club that have learned from their excesses in the past to invest smartly in up-and-coming players rather than in the finished superstar articles.

"They had to do it that way because they don't have the money," Hoeness said sourly in a Sky interview, before changing tack and accusing the Dortmund general manager Hans-Joachim Watzke of hypocrisy. "He should stop talking about them being poor and us being rich, otherwise he will be the new [former Werder Bremen chief] Willi Lemke. He shouldn't tell fairytales about their whole team costing only €45m in wages."

Watzke coolly pointed to officially audited numbers that backed up the claim, then pleaded for less aggro. "We should get away from the idea that you need to hammer someone in order to show him your respect," he said.

Hoeness also said Dortmund didn't have any world-class players. That's surely debatable but even if it was true, it would only reflect superbly on the work Klopp and his side have done. Where it gets interesting is next season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/16/borussia-dortmund-bundesliga-title

dat classless bayern!

Splatt

Might just be my Liverpool bias but Daniel Agger us up there with Kompany and Vidic. He's an outstanding defender with the rare trait of being quality with the ball at his feet.

Agger could be one of the greats if it were not for his injuries. He's equally good as a fullback and CB. I don't remember seeing him make a Carragher-like mistake.

Arnie

I still don't understand what people see in Scott Parker.

He is decent but overrated to extreme levels.
I get the feeling that he'd jump in front of a train if there was a football on the track. It's a trait that's all too overvalued in England.

Clegg

There are so many more talented footballers that have had better seasons than Parker and they haven't gotten a nomination.

I probably shouldn't even be surprised by this. There is always 1 or 2 selections that don't seem like they belong.

Salvadora

There are so many more talented footballers that have had better seasons than Parker and they haven't gotten a nomination.

I probably shouldn't even be surprised by this. There is always 1 or 2 selections that don't seem like they belong.

The media have been creaming over Parker all season.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still don't understand what people see in Scott Parker.

He is decent but overrated to extreme levels.

His pass for the goal yesterday was sublime, but he's done about 3 of those all season. As a footballer he is ordinary, but he puts maximum effort in every game and he cleans up after everybody else.

Oxx

Does Parker rank highly in tackles, interceptions, passing, distance covered etc? Any quantifiable amazing contribution?

Don't really begrudge anybody from the list but how Clint Dempsey isn't on it I don't know. Again though, vote take in Feb, all about who was in form for the few weeks previous to that.

Also, Chelsea fans should really get an "You're all Juan Mata's" to me chant going for the little man. "Chelsea! Chelsea! Chelsea!" hasn't aged well.

Don't really begrudge anybody from the list but how Clint Dempsey isn't on it I don't know. Again though, vote take in Feb, all about who was in form for the few weeks previous to that.

Also, Chelsea fans should really get an "You're all Juan Mata's" to me chant going for the little man. "Chelsea! Chelsea! Chelsea!" hasn't aged well.

When we played Chelsea last season the Chelsea fans were singing

"Oh Jesper Grønkjær you're the love of my life
Oh Jesper Grønkjær I'd let ya shag my wife"

Through most of the match against Copenhagen, was pretty fantastic, especially with the subtle nod to Terry too!

I think nearly every teams chants/anthems are terrible to other fans. Spurs take on, when the saints, gets on my wick. But the worst of the worst is never walk alone... ugh, oh god.

When we played Chelsea last season the Chelsea fans were singing

"Oh Jesper Grønkjær you're the love of my life
Oh Jesper Grønkjær I'd let ya shag my wife"

Through most of the match against Copenhagen, was fantastic lol
Beautiful sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom