• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Respect for SAF for requesting a minute silence for Piermario Morosini. Really classy. Hopefully the Arsenal game tonight does the same.

spidye

I have this dream every day

i-know-that-feel.jpg

ShogunX

Is Eto'o still world class? I know he plays for Anzhi now but I saw the goal he scored against Real in Barca's 2-6 win and was floored.

I also share a birthday with him.

He's only just turned 31 and is still a top drawer player. Problem is he's already won the Champions League 3 times, La Liga 3 times and Serie A to boot so he has nothing to prove and is obviously happy playing for mega wages rather than at the top level.

Noirulus

A tie won't be a bad result for Real since it is an away game. I think both teams have almost equal chances to progress although I clearly want Real to win. The wait is unbearable.

New Madrid fan? :D Welcome!

Hope tommorow's match will be an exciting one. If Mou plays Coentrao (I've got a bad feeling he will) he better show up at his best.

Neymar's changed his haircut to something potentially worse. Anyway, here's him with a nice bit of skill and then one of the softest red cards I have ever seen.

Wat?

Is that usually a red in Brazil or something? Apparently Neymar gets ridiculous protection in the Brazilian league, won't be the same when he comes to Europe.

Neymar's changed his haircut to something potentially worse. Anyway, here's him with a nice bit of skill and then one of the softest red cards I have ever seen.

Wat?

Is that usually a red in Brazil or something? Apparently Neymar gets ridiculous protection in the Brazilian league, won't be the same when he comes to Europe.

Pffffft.

Ashley Young would've spontaneously combusted if he'd been tackled like that.

I've always wondered, how do ref's communicate with players in European competition. For example, how many players in the Bayern-Real game will know English? I guess they'll know enough for the basic communication but still. Do refs learn other languages or are they requested/required to?

Wat?

What in the hell was that nonsense? If that was a red, I'd hate to see what they do if a player is properly fouled. Banned for 6 months?

This is interesting.

Opta Jose said:
133 – Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season: ENG 14, GER 15, FRA 24, ITA 30, SPA 133. Regulatory.

Think somebody said the other day that in Spain yellows for any handball is the rule this season. Crazy that there is such a difference between the Spanish league and the others. I wonder if the Spanish teams will be asking for free kicks on soft handballs midweek.

Rad-

Pepe's a better defender than he's given credit for just because he's a massive twat. When he plays with his brain switched on he's great. Ramos is complacent but talented; again he just needs to focus more and not go steaming up the pitch like Vermaelen on crack

Pepe is one of those players that looks very good against crap opponents but when against good players, his weaknesses really show. Mainly bad positioning.

The only exception to that was when he played as a DM against Barca. He was amazing until Alves acted him that red.

SolidPain

Neo Member
New Madrid fan? :D Welcome!

Hope tommorow's match will be an exciting one. If Mou plays Coentrao (I've got a bad feeling he will) he better show up at his best.

Lol yeah I have been a fan since 2000 (before them winning the CL). I think Coentrao would play well. It is Arbeloa who I think will cause problems especially with the quality of wingers Bayern has.

Wilbur

Banned
Pepe is one of those players that looks very good against crap opponents but when against good players, his weaknesses really show. Mainly bad positioning.

The only exception to that was when he played as a DM against Barca. He was amazing until Alves acted him that red.

I thought he was phenomenal in that game, Messi was as quiet as I'd ever seen him. I'd risk going with that again and playing Albiol-Ramos at the back. If he keeps his temper he could do well.

Kyoufu

He's only just turned 31 and is still a top drawer player. Problem is he's already won the Champions League 3 times, La Liga 3 times and Serie A to boot so he has nothing to prove and is obviously happy playing for mega wages rather than at the top level.

I'd love to see Eto'o in the Premier League but it's most likely never going to happen now.

Imagine the damage he'd do in the PL with Man United, Arsenal or City. It's a shame he's on a 3 year deal with Anzhi. :(

Why do you think it's stupid?
What's wrong with the 3pm kick off time?

If Liverpool win the fans might still be in the ground as late as 8pm. Getting home will be a nightmare, tubes will be packed and how many late night trains will be running between Euston and Lime Street?

TV dictating everything once more.

Edit - Just realised Liverpool were due to play Chelsea that weekend in the PL. Will probably moved to the Wednesday after the final now. Get friendly LFC/CFC-GAF!

Hixx

If Liverpool win the fans might still be in the ground as late as 8pm. Getting home will be a nightmare, tubes will be packed and how many late night trains will be running between Euston and Lime Street?

Gotta ensure that global audience can see it.

Who gives a shit about 30,000 Liverpool fans who will be shelling out hundreds to see it?

elseanio

Edit - Just realised Liverpool were due to play Chelsea that weekend in the PL. Will probably moved to the Wednesday after the final now. Get friendly LFC/CFC-GAF!

The trains are already a nightmare

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17729770

Scheduled engineering work has prompted Virgin Trains to cancel all of its Lime Street to Euston services on the day - bar three before 0800 BST.

Also cancelled for all of Sunday.

Kyoufu

You guys hate on English commentators too much. Some fantastic commentators that are English. Martin Tyler, Ray Hudson and a bunch of others.

Meier

You guys hate on English commentators too much. Some fantastic commentators that are English. Martin Tyler, Ray Hudson and a bunch of others.

Ian Darke is tops for me. Love it when ESPN broadcasts matches here so I can listen to him... he and "Macca" (seems wrong to call anyone but Sir Paul that to me!) have a great rapport.

Kyoufu

PFA Player of the Year nominees are rigged. Too sad to even list the nominees but it's City dominated. Here's me thinking Silva had a shit half season.

Pachimari

Pepe is world class and one of the best defenders in football today. Nuff' said.

He has rejected world class offensive players single handily.

Kyoufu

Whats the list?

PFA Young Player;

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham),
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
Kyle Walker(Tottenham)
Danny Welbeck (Man United)

PFA Player:

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Joe Hart (Man City)
Scott Parker (Tottenham)
Wayne Rooney (Man United)
David Silva (Man City)
Robin Van Persie (Arsenal)

dschalter

PFA Young Player;

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham),
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
Kyle Walker(Tottenham)
Danny Welbeck (Man United)

PFA Player:

Sergio Aguero (Man City)
Joe Hart (Man City)
Scott Parker (Tottenham)
Wayne Rooney (Man United)
David Silva (Man City)
Robin Van Persie (Arsenal)

that's a very reasonable list.

Pepe is world class and one of the best defenders in football today. Nuff' said.

He has rejected world class offensive players single handily.

lol, like who? give me one credible example

a world-class player would walk into any team in the world, pepe isnt that talented but his not terrible either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom