• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ilicic or own goal? I don't care. 1-3.
3AQmK.gif

FuturusX

Reality sets in. If we are honest, the results have been poor for Liverpool and it falls with the manager. We sit we're we sit and it's largely due to Kenny. Too many mistakes, transfers, man management and poor tactics, have been all to common.

The Reina incident wasn't a red card. From the Good Book, page 121, paragraph 1:

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball​

Liverpool have a good case to get the card overturned on the basis of this clarification. There is no debate, it was not a red card. What Reina did was no different than players shoving each other (which refs often don't give yellows for let alone reds)

Dempsey did worse to Bellamy early in the season and got a yellow. It was 100% the Newcastle players reaction that got Reina the red

Either way, Reina should know better
I know we agree on the situation, but I don't know that Reina should know any better, he didn't actually do anything. Players square up all the time and so long as there's no handbags the players go on unpunished.

But like I said, I don't care because I don't support them.

Heppell

Banned
WTF was Kenny doing subbing Carroll off infront of his old team? Kenny being selfish, Carroll should of been the last person to go off, no wonder he cracked it at him.

Keio

For a Finer World
The Reina incident wasn't a red card. From the Good Book, page 121, paragraph 1:

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball​

Liverpool have a good case to get the card overturned on the basis of this clarification. There is no debate, it was not a red card.

Headbutting not brutality? Really?

Kyoufu

WTF was Kenny doing subbing Carroll off infront of his old team? Kenny being selfish, Carroll should of been the last person to go off, no wonder he cracked it at him.

I would have subbed Carroll after he dived instead of just tapping the ball in the goal...

To be honest, Carroll has been a joke all season.

Carbonox

Liverpool have a good case to get the card overturned on the basis of this clarification. There is no debate, it was not a red card.

But isn't a headbutt "excessive force". It wasn't a push, it was beyond that which would fall under excessive IMO. Players push eachother in confrontations all the time. Shit's standard. Headbutting is definitely crossing the line, irrelevant if you broke his nose or made light contact. The intent to headbutt was there.

Mastadon

Banned
Fellow Liverpool fans, do not worry. This is all part of King Kenny's elaborate grand scheme for premier league domination. He's quite clearly instructed Carroll, Downing and the rest of the team to play far below their potential for this season, predicting that our rivals will get complacent, and that they will be lulled in to a false sense of security.

Next season, the full force of our team will be unleashed, lead by future PotS, Andrew Carroll.

Can see the argument for Reina's red being harsh now actually. Perch's reaction certainly played its part but I still think Reina has to share a portion of the blame. I don't think it'll get rescinded simply because Reina's movement was "aggressive" and the FA will focus on that.

At the start of the year Liverpool were 2 points clear of Arsenal. Now 16 behind. Crazy.

Fintan

What type of force is not excessive when challenging off the ball? Is going for a headbutt/leading with head or whatever not excessive?

sohois

BBC suggests the Possession was 52-48, shots were 11-9 and on target was 7-6. So really quite equal. Liverpool of course did not do enough to win the game as they did not score, but in the end they were denied a clear penalty and sending off, Newcastle scored a goal that was miles offside & Reina was sent off for an outrageous dive by Perch. There is no debate that the officiating was the major factor in this result for me.

Moobabe

Liverpool have a good case to get the card overturned on the basis of this clarification. There is no debate, it was not a red card. What Reina did was no different than players shoving each other (which refs often don't give yellows for let alone reds)

I know you're better than that son - you watch a lot of football right? He has no hope - you cannot lean your head forward into another player like that. Perch's reaction was a joke - but it's a 100% red card.

Wilbur

Banned
I love you Mastadon. I wouldn't mind Benitez going there, I like him. I just hate Dalglish.

Sohois, it wasn't offside, not by the letter of the law anyway.

Does Enrique get any bonus FF points for keeping a clean sheet?
I wanted to know what happens with him too. I have him in my team.

Edit: Folks, lets take our respective supporters blinkers off. Reina did not headbutt. He squared up and Perch took a dive. 100% convinced there was zero contact.

Kyoufu

BBC suggests the Possession was 52-48, shots were 11-9 and on target was 7-6. So really quite equal. Liverpool of course did not do enough to win the game as they did not score, but in the end they were denied a clear penalty and sending off, Newcastle scored a goal that was miles offside & Reina was sent off for an outrageous dive by Perch. There is no debate that the officiating was the major factor in this result for me.

Excuses. Keep em coming.

There is a debate. How do you define brutality on a football pitch? Also, how would you personally apply that rule to the Scholes example I gave earlier?

Heppell

Banned
I would have subbed Carroll after he dived instead of just tapping the ball in the goal...

To be honest, Carroll has been a joke all season.
Yes made a mistake but he shouldn't have subbed off, he actually did quite after that incident, shelvey or flanagan should have gone. And most importanly you dont embarres him like that getting jeered off.

Arnie

That was one of the strangest games I've seen in a long time. Don't think we really deserved to be humiliated to that extent, but our ability to squander chances and mentally collapse is frightening.

Need to get out of the way my disgust at certain events. Firstly, Carroll flopping to the floor when he had a clear chance at goal. That, combined with his limp performance and stropping down the tunnel has put him beyond repair with me. Hope we just ship him out in the summer, he's a bad footballer, end of. Secondly Cabaye dropping to the floor when Suarez didn't even touch him, clearly just trying to get Suarez in the ref's book. And finally Perch. I was actually planning to come on here and praise the guy because he had a really good game, but that was embarrassing, and just as bad as anything Suarez has done to earn mass vitriol in this thread.

As for the game itself, Newcastle's first goal was stunning. Can't defend that, perfect cross and an equally exquisite header. Their second perhaps should've been cleared, perhaps it could've been offside, but it was another nice move.

The only positive from our point of view was Shelvey. He was our best midfielder, and I can't fathom how he hasn't played more this season, especially with the likes of Henderson and Adam doing fuck all in the midfield.

Really think the club needs to re-evaluate in the Summer. This isn't just a blip, it's an indication that we aren't at a level anywhere near fourth place, and I can't realistically see us at such a level for a few years, and that's with a change in approach to transfers. At this point I feel Dalglish has to resign at the end of the season. He was the man we needed to stop the rot last season, and he deserves credit for that, and for uniting the club, but I just don't feel he has the managerial nouse to turn this around and take the club in the right direction going forwards.

On the plus side my nan gave me £100, so I'm going to chomp away my sorrows in Nandos in a couple of hours.

Don't think the offside call is as clear cut as you think. It definitely touched somebody on the way through. Question is was Cisse in a seperate phase of play.

I'm inclined to think its still offside but it's certainly not entirely obvious.

But isn't a headbutt "excessive force". It wasn't a push, it was beyond that which would fall under excessive IMO. Players push eachother in confrontations all the time. Shit's standard. Headbutting is definitely crossing the line, irrelevant if you broke his nose or made light contact. The intent to headbutt was there.
There's no point arguing, the refs will always give that as a red though, and rightly so.

Liverpool really can't have any complaints about that.

Dame N'Doye goal muthafuckers.

they said that there will be a press conference at 16:30 which usually means that the coach is sacked... but cologne decided to troll the press and just said that he still gets a chance

With the way things seems to happen in Cologne I bet the intention was to sack him but they changed their mind in the last minute.

Headbutting not brutality? Really?

What type of force is not excessive when challenging off the ball? Is going for a headbutt/leading with head or whatever not excessive?

It depends on the force you headbutt. Sometimes in situations like that people push their head (it was described earlier as "lean") towards the opponent - we've seen players put their foreheads together in the past by staring at each other but one of them drops like a brick to give the impression of a forceful headbutt, which was what Reina was complaining about and what Perch was trying to manufacture with his fall.

An example of a brutal/excessive act is when a player kicks out an opponent, similar to what Rooney did for England a few months ago.

Arnie

I would love Rafa back.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. World class manager, capable of building a team that can consistently challenge in the Champions League. Tactically well ahead of the game and I think he'll learn from his past mistakes as far as man management goes. Don't care if others in this thread or in the footballing world can't appreciate him, he's a top manager, and loves the club.

Salvadora

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish on his side's 2-0 defeat by Newcastle, which continues their dismal league form: "The boys have shown frustration and that's probably why Pepe Reina was sent off. It was the frustration of being behind. When Andy Carroll comes off and runs up tunnel it purely disappointment and frustration. It all very well having that but we have to manage that and channel it in proper way. If we don't stick together and have trust in each other it is going to be a lot more difficult."

lol inturd, now everyone will start pretending that they are "back" because they squeaked by a shitty genoa side at home

that was a really fun game to watch though, to be fair. that is far more than can be said for inter under ranieri, which was one of the most boring and uninspired teams i've ever seen.

Kyoufu

That's not an argument, that is just you writing a sentence.

Unable to dispute my points. Keep em coming.

See, i can do it too

When I read your offside excuse I didn't feel like disputing, because I'd have to call the FA or whoever makes the rules and tell them to change it.

FuturusX

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. World class manager, capable of building a team that can consistently challenge in the Champions League. Tactically well ahead of the game and I think he'll learn from his past mistakes as far as man management goes. Don't care if others in this thread or in the footballing world can't appreciate him, he's a top manager, and loves the club.
QFT

The contrast between Liverpool and Newcastle's intelligence in the transfer market lately is pretty telling, with the former largely funding the latter. I especially can't believe Liverpool didn't make retaining the services of Raul Meireles a priority, if anything of what he's said about the gentleman's agreement to raise his wages after a good first season are true. Some of Daglish's tactical choices have been downright confusing, too.

sneaky77

It depends on the force you headbutt. Sometimes in situations like that people push their head (it was described earlier as "lean") towards the opponent - we've seen players put their foreheads together in the past by staring at each other but one of them drops like a brick to give the impression of a forceful headbutt, which was what Reina was complaining about and what Perch was trying to manufacture with his fall.

An example of a brutal/excessive act is when a player kicks out an opponent, similar to what Rooney did for England a few months ago.

an attempt to headbutt is a red card... there was contact and it was stupid by Reina. Yes the newcastle player shouldn't drop to the ground like that but it happens all the damn time.

Anyone trying to say the ref had any other choice is wrong. Is not like the clashed foreheads, Reina lowered his and hit Perch on the nose.

Also Kenny has shown that he does not have the tactics to coach at this level.. imo anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom