• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly hit in fairness. He had a massive task in clearing out our squad when he first came. He spent a lot of money, but he spent that over a lot of players. Some obviously flopped, but in general he sold those on for a profit. I can't really think of any shit players he bought who we lost a lot of money on. Some of the players he signed were and still are fantastic though.

He's more than capable to building a title-challenging squad given enough time and resource.

I'm not sure that's fair. Torres and Mascherano were both quite significant gambles in different ways. He's also more than adept at picking out relatively unknown gems like Agger.

More oh dear.

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

madmackem

I haven't seen your Scholes description yet but let me offer you my interpretations of what is brutal and excessive and what isn't.

Red card

Red card

2522852782.gif

Red card

zidane_headbutt2.gif

Red card

headbutt_baroni.gif

Not red

1045103_o.gif

There is a huge difference

Only because that is the unwritten law refs have made for themselves. But according to FIFA, there is a a clear distinction in what constitutes an act as 'brutal' and 'excessive' and only those type of acts warrant a dismissal of violent conduct. But of course nowdays even putting your head forward to another opponent and you're risking a red card. That isn't right though. Nor is the handball issue we have; it is completely separate to what FIFA say.

it could fall under alot of things though. unsporting conduct?, whatever way you see it there has been many many reds like this in the past and they normally dont get taken back.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah, for nothing no prayers. I just hope I won't burst out with some bad song about Naples' mountain because I'll see the match at a simil-restaurant.
I know I'm a bad person.

Careful now! They still need you in the FIFA thread! :p

To be honest I think this Kenny side is far more dangerous going forward than Rafa's. I think they play better football

You usually make really good sense but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. They only seem to be dangerous once they get to the box and then they break down. The only player who seems to be a constant threat is Suarez. The other players are too lazy or not skillful enough to play on his level.

I've been willing to give Carroll a chance but I think at the moment my patience is running thin with him. How many clear chances is a player going to keep missing? I just shook my head at the dive today and turned off the game, I couldn't be bothered to watch it after seeing that.

Well that was fun, as for the talking points:

- Carroll should be ashamed tonight he had an open net and tried to cheat

- looked like a handball to me which would have been a red but it was borderline IMO

- second goal clearly took a touch and cisse was inactive in the first phase - not offside

- Carroll didn't look happy did he throw his shirt away

- no doubt about the red reina was an utter tit to get involved, very soft but always a red, perch should be punished as well and Dalglish should have been sent off as well he had no right being on the pitch

Great fun for a neutral to watch over a pub lunch

Salty excuses from Liverpool fans make it worth it though.

For once I get to be the one that isn't salty :p

Let them be and enjoy what was a really intense/exciting day of football. Such a great build up to this game, so its really satisfying to see the result. Everything else that happened within the game was almost icing on the cake.

One of the match day officials said Carroll threw the Liverpool shirt down and walked out of St. James' within 10 minutes of being subbed.

Truth with Benitez as usual lies somewhere in the middle, not sure he's great transfers but he wasn't terrible either. I think he was average-good whilst at Liverpool.

Don't think Torres or Masch were gambles though. It's always a gamble when you spend money but both were tipped as players who would be world class from their teenage days. Torres was hot hot property, United submitted big bids for him 2 summers in a row I think.

He did pick out some great buys though; Agger, Skrtel, Reina, Alonso and Lucas were brilliant business.

IMO his strength in the transfer market is that he can buy a player who fits a role which needs doing. Not necessarily a great player but somebody who fits into his system just right.

Kyoufu

Let them be and enjoy what was a really intense/exciting day of football. Such a great build up to this game, so its really satisfying to see the result. Everything else that happened within the game was almost icing on the cake.

One of the match day officials said Carroll threw the Liverpool shirt down and walked out of St. James' within 10 minutes of being subbed.

Damn. Did King Kenny give an interview after? I didn't see it.

Absolutely. Especially Lucas.

Come to think of it, is it any coincidence that the loss of Lucas, an excellent Benitez signing, was pretty much the turning point for Liverpool this season. Prior to that we were so solid in midfield that our wastefulness in front of goal was somewhat compensated for...

To be fair we played quite decent enough to either draw or win games, it wasn't until we lost Agger and Johnson when we started to lose games period.

Half the players that have since been sold aren't even on that list, like Torres, Babel, Masch. If you add those then he's well out ahead.

A point about Rafa that a lot of people don't appreciate is how he transformed our youth setup from a mediocre one, into one of the best in Europe.

How Liverpool fans continue to maintain this fiction with a straight face is a point of genuine mystery to me. Who are these players I'm missing that are secretly so good? When was the last time a Liverpool youth or reserve team did anything of note? When was the last time a Liverpool player came through their system and turned out to be anything more than mediocre? I can honestly only think of Kelly, maybe.

Harry probably telling Sandro again to keep his ass in front of the back four. Every game he screams at him to stop pushing so far forward.

How Liverpool fans continue to maintain this fiction with a straight face is a point of genuine mystery to me. Who are these players I'm missing that are secretly so good? When was the last time a Liverpool youth or reserve team did anything of note? When was the last time a Liverpool player came through their system and turned out to be anything more than mediocre? I can honestly only think of Kelly, maybe.
actually I think they're right about that. He made a lot of long term changes and Liverpool have quite a few talented young players coming through now.

actually I think they're right about that. He made a lot of long term changes and Liverpool have quite a few talented young players coming through now.

So I keep hearing, and Sterling looks like he might be good, if he can prevent himself going down the Ravel path. But they weren't any great shakes in the Next Gen competition.

And the obvious additional point is - we've been hearing about these top young players for a while now (Pacheco lol) but why do the people inside Liverpool FC have no faith in playing them? Quite telling imo.

Half the players that have since been sold aren't even on that list, like Torres, Babel, Masch. If you add those then he's well out ahead.

A point about Rafa that a lot of people don't appreciate is how he transformed our youth setup from a mediocre one, into one of the best in Europe.

I can tell you now that Blackburn's Development and Youth setup is rated better than Liverpool's in the Elite Player Performance Plan rankings.

On sky you could see him throw his shirt to the side on his way up the tunnel

Edit - Chris our acadamy has long been one of the best in the world since jack and kenny built it up, for years the facilities were a benchmark, only recently we have started to get behind

So I keep hearing, and Sterling looks like he might be good, if he can prevent himself going down the Ravel path. But they weren't any great shakes in the Next Gen competition.
That's true, we beat them in the youth cup too. But there have been improvements there for them, maybe not as big as is made out. Guess that remains to be seen...

Mastadon

Banned

You're an intelligent guy. I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that it takes more than three or four years for the effect of significant investment in a youth structure to bear fruit. The crops of players coming through are obviously aided by the development, but the true beneficiaries of it will be the young young kids who will go through the whole system.

You're an intelligent guy. I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that it takes more than three or four years for the effect of significant investment in a youth structure to bear fruit. The crops of players coming through are obviously aided by the development, but the true beneficiaries of it will be the young young kids who will go through the whole system.

I take that and it will be interesting to see. It just seems odd to me that Liverpool fans consistently give Benitez so much credit for this youth system when there's no proof it's working.

Other than Ferguson, what manager has completely turn things around after having a bad season?

I take that and it will be interesting to see. It just seems odd to me that Liverpool fans consistently give Benitez so much credit for this youth system when there's no proof it's working.

That's because Daglish doesn't seem to want to give the youngsters a chance.

There are one or two players I've seen that I've been impressed with at a very raw talent level. When I think back there really wasn't that many before this year and last that I would have rated at all in the 2-3 games I see of Liverpool youth sides. So you can tell some changes have been made outside somewhere.

Other than Ferguson, what manager has completely turn things around after having a bad season?

That's because Daglish doesn't seem to want to give the youngsters a chance.

Ya, it seems like perhaps a philosophy change is in order. It used to rile me that Chelsea have had so much youth talent squandered because they weren't willing to blood them. They're doing slightly better on that front these days.

There are one or two players I've seen that I've been impressed with at a very raw talent level. When I think back there really wasn't that many before this year and last that I would have rated at all in the 2-3 games I see of Liverpool youth sides. So you can tell some changes have been made outside somewhere.

Interesting. I've heard Suso, Coady and Sterling are the ones to watch. Were they the ones you saw?

elsk

Banned

van Gaal was going to get sacked. The team was very poor on the league, and we were virtually eliminated from the CL... the next match was against Juventus. We killed Juve 4-1 and got the second place in the group.

After that, the team won the Bundesliga, Cup and played the CL final.

elseanio

Proof? How about not having a decent player come through the ranks since Gerrard and Carragher? Thats what, 10-15 years? Mellor, Warnock and Pongolle are the only three that immediately come to mind

Since Benitez overhauled the youth structure, Flanagan, Robinson, Spearing, Kelly and Raheem have all made their debut for the 1st team and showed promise. It's a definite improvement.

Ya, it seems like perhaps a philosophy change is in order. It used to rile me that Chelsea have had so much youth talent squandered because they weren't willing to blood them. They're doing slightly better on that front these days.

Interesting. I've heard Suso, Coady and Sterling are the ones to watch. Were they the ones you saw?

Take Coady off the list, put Wisdom on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom