• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

If Rafa came back, I think Liverpool would have to get rid of a few players, Gerrard and Carragher, perhaps.

I think he lost the dressing room last time around, tactically, he's a great manager. Transfer wise, he's hit and miss, and his man management is poor, I think.

Salvadora

More from Kenny Dalglish, this time on Andy Carroll's booking for diving in the first half: "I don't think it was penalty and I don't think he went down deliberately to get a penalty. He said he never went down, he stumbled over. It wasn't a penalty. We don't have any disagreement with Andy going down and with the Pepe Reina decision either."

Wilbur

Banned
Never begrudged Benitez when Liverpool were challenging us. Great manager, class act. Can't think of anyone better to manage Liverpool.

The thing is I know people that still think Mourinho and Cavani will be tempted because 'we've won 5 European Cups'.

Arnie

I hate when we play at this time on a Sunday. All of you are watching, and all of you want us to lose.

Only because I really appreciate Swansea, not because I particularly despise Spurs.

Can't argue with the Reina red, even if Perch's reaction was beyond embarrassing. Was a silly thing to do and he knew instantly he shouldn't have done it.

There is a debate. How do you define brutality on a football pitch? Also, how would you personally apply that rule to the Scholes example I gave earlier?

I haven't seen your Scholes description yet but let me offer you my interpretations of what is brutal and excessive and what isn't.

Red card

Red card

2522852782.gif

Red card

zidane_headbutt2.gif

Red card

headbutt_baroni.gif

Not red

1045103_o.gif

There is a huge difference

an attempt to headbutt is a red card... there was contact and it was stupid by Reina. Yes the newcastle player shouldn't drop to the ground like that but it happens all the damn time.

Anyone trying to say the ref had any other choice is wrong. Is not like the clashed foreheads, Reina lowered his and hit Perch on the nose.

Also Kenny has shown that he does not have the tactics to coach at this level.. imo anyway

Only because that is the unwritten law refs have made for themselves. But according to FIFA, there is a a clear distinction in what constitutes an act as 'brutal' and 'excessive' and only those type of acts warrant a dismissal of violent conduct. But of course nowdays even putting your head forward to another opponent and you're risking a red card. That isn't right though. Nor is the handball issue we have; it is completely separate to what FIFA say.

FuturusX

If Rafa came back, I think Liverpool would have to get rid of a few players, Gerrard and Carragher, perhaps.

I think he lost the dressing room last time around, tactically, he's a great manager. Transfer wise, he's hit and miss, and his man management is poor, I think.

His hits are spectacular though, Reina, Torres, Mascherano and Alonso were excellent signings....

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Inter vs Liverpool, who is the most lolish at the moment?
There's no light at the end of the tunnel for Inter. There's nothing positive they can build on for next season, nothing.

Liverpool can build on their defense, Lucas and Suarez.

Arnie

I think Carragher's off at the end of the season, but Gerrard's still got more to give. I think we need to ship out some of the limp signings we made in the summer, Downing and Carroll particularly.

I think that's a fairish assumption of Rafa, although I'd say the comments about his ability in the transfer market are quite ridiculous. He built a team with Alonso, Mascherano, Reina and Torres. Even signings like Arbeloa, Agger and Skrtle were pretty fantastic.

As for his man management situation, he's been very humble this last year about the mistakes he made, especially as far as Alonso is concerned, and I think that reflection will only improve him in that area.
The fuck? lol

I want a nan like yours.

I love my nan. She saves up every £2 coin she gets until she has a nice round figure to give to one of her grandchildren.

scarybore

Didn't get to see the game, but judging from sunhi's gifs it looks almost comical.

Equal on points with Chelsea, keeping the possibility of European football alive and 10 points ahead of Everton. Even if we finish as we currently are in 6th, it'll have been an amazing season for Newcastle.

Wilbur

Banned
I hate EPL matchdays... like 20 pages of nothing.

Uch, I hate this attitude. I swear it's only the fans of other leagues that slate the Premier League so much, it's never the other way round.

Apart from Serie A. It's shit compared to Australian football.

Fry

Never begrudged Benitez when Liverpool were challenging us. Great manager, class act. Can't think of anyone better to manage Liverpool.

The thing is I know people that still think Mourinho and Cavani will be tempted because 'we've won 5 European Cups'.

I just hope Kenny goes soon. It's not the same as having another manager like Rafa or Roy. He gets different treatment and it's fucking annoying, any other would have been sacked already.

Arnie

The only thing I need to say to myself to convince me that I'd rather have Rafa as manager is if he were given £50 million pounds we'd have Llorente, rather than Carroll.

Feorax

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. World class manager, capable of building a team that can consistently challenge in the Champions League. Tactically well ahead of the game and I think he'll learn from his past mistakes as far as man management goes. Don't care if others in this thread or in the footballing world can't appreciate him, he's a top manager, and loves the club.

Absolutely. I suppose we will see soon whether the owner feel the same. It wouldn't surprise me if their patience is wearing as thin as ours about now.

ShogunX

I hate when we play at this time on a Sunday. All of you are watching, and all of you want us to lose.

Fuck that! We have the might of Swansea breathing down our necks and need a Spurs win to stop them from going level with us. Have to laugh really.

Anyway about the game, Same shit different weekend. Arnie pretty much said everything that needs to be said but some of our players look genuinely lost on the pitch. Not sure what we do in training because we are complete strangers at times.

Few game changing decisions from Atkinson and Carroll but you cant put that level of performance in and expect something out of it. Far too many players and fans only thinking about the cup (myself included).

elseanio

I would have no problems with Carra and Gerrard throwing a hissy fit if Rafa comes in. It would actually show great strength from the owners that no player is more important than the manager.

I'd even say Rafa has a bigger draw to attract players than Dalglish right now, especially continental players.

I really hope Dalglish remains part of the club somehow, but he has to take responsibility for our form this season.

Absolutely. I suppose we will see soon whether the owner feel the same. It wouldn't surprise me if their patience is wearing as thin as ours about now.

I'm sure they'd be a lot happier giving a transfer kitty to somebody who hadn't spent £75million on Carroll, Downing and Henderson as well.

Henderson will be a good player eventually, his fee was ridiculous though

So where are the King Kenny/Awesome Pardew reactions?

Just been on Sky Sports News. What a class day. Nice weather. Good banter. Intense match. Not going to read back over GAF, but I have an idea of where it went/going.

Think we can add Andy Carroll to the Michael Chopra wall of fame of former Newcastle players that bottled a clear goal scoring chance.

His hits are spectacular though, Reina, Torres, Mascherano and Alonso were excellent signings....

Yeah but also really obvious that they were talented though. It was a surprise to no one that they were good, it was only a question of how good. You don't have the prestige to sign players of that obvious calibre these days. You'd get either edged out of such moves because other clubs with greater reputations would represent a better option to the player or you'd be asked to pay over the odds because you're not offering Champions League football anymore.

Mastadon

Banned

Mostly hit in fairness. He had a massive task in clearing out our squad when he first came. He spent a lot of money, but he spent that over a lot of players. Some obviously flopped, but in general he sold those on for a profit. I can't really think of any shit players he bought who we lost a lot of money on. Some of the players he signed were and still are fantastic though.

He's more than capable to building a title-challenging squad given enough time and resource.

Yeah but also really obvious that they were talented though. It was a surprise to no one that they were good, it was only a question of how good. You don't have the prestige to sign players of that obvious calibre these days. You'd get either edged out of such moves because other clubs with greater reputations would represent a better option to the player or you'd be asked to pay over the odds because you're not offering Champions League football anymore.

I'm not sure that's fair. Torres and Mascherano were both quite significant gambles in different ways. He's also more than adept at picking out relatively unknown gems like Agger.

I hate EPL matchdays... like 20 pages of nothing.
There's no such thing as the EPL :)

What do you expect though...most of the members watch the PL and they're bound to comment on the games...guess they don't interest you but it's relevant for most people..

Not much we can do about it really.

FuturusX

Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Crouch and Garcia as well. Johnson has played very well since last January as well

Absolutely. Especially Lucas.

Come to think of it, is it any coincidence that the loss of Lucas, an excellent Benitez signing, was pretty much the turning point for Liverpool this season. Prior to that we were so solid in midfield that our wastefulness in front of goal was somewhat compensated for...

LegoArmo

There's probably not one manager without a few bad signings, anyway.

One thing I liked about that Liverpool team was how well Benayoun played with Torres, he's not been the same since, and obviously, Gerrard was amazing back then.

To be honest I think this Kenny side is far more dangerous going forward than Rafa's. I think they play better football

That was true between last January and May.

Just realised it April 1st. Perhaps tomorrow I'll wake up and it'll turn out that the entire game was CGI, all of your posts are part of the joke, and we in fact won 2-0 with Carroll and Enrique scoring

Arnie

To be honest I think this Kenny side is far more dangerous going forward than Rafa's. I think they play better football

You've got to be fucking trolling with that one Meus.

I've not seen a more impotent Liverpool side in my lifetime. Even the post Owen/pre Torres days of Baros and Cisse were more fruitful than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom