• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Izktb.jpg

My body is not ready.

We've got no chance and you know it. You can take solace in the fact that we'll lose against what could've easily been one of the CL semi-finalists, if the suicide against Chelsea hadn't taken place. Napuleeee mille coloriiiii!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Let's hope we get "second-leg poor version of Napoli".
GZ to Newcastle. I am fearful of City going there now, they can turn anyone over on their day.

LiverpoolGAF - Is it time for Kenny to hold his hands up and go?

Kenny can get away with it blaming injuries/few key players not performing.

What's Mancini's excuse for losing the league title and crashing out in Europe twice?

Just won a Thornton's white chocolate easter egg off of my brother by beating him with HB Koge. Whoever they are, it turns out they've got a ridiculously big striker up front. I think he might play for Brondby now though. It great fun playing random teams and discovering players you never knew existed. Runsewe is great in Fifa 12 as well.

GorillaJu

GZ to Newcastle. I am fearful of City going there now, they can turn anyone over on their day.

LiverpoolGAF - Is it time for Kenny to hold his hands up and go?

No. When will you stop asking this inane idiotic question? What would the point of leaving before the season ends be? How many fucking times are you going to be answered before your fingers stop feeling compelled to repeat this again?

dc89

No. When will you stop asking this inane idiotic question? What would the point of leaving before the season ends be? How many fucking times are you going to be answered before your fingers stop feeling compelled to repeat this again?

Ok, can I ask in summer? Sorry to beat the same drum but Liverpool don't look anything like a top 4 side on this showing. And no Yurt, Kenny can get away with it because he's a living Liverpool legend. Imagine if Roy had lost 5 out of the last 6 league games? Doesn't bear thinking about.

TeegsD

That cross from Arias was perfect. The kid has really impressed me every time he plays.

When I first tried out FM12 last year, he was always the one that would fuck up and then get injured for an ungodly amount of time. Nice to see he hasn't been following in his virtual footsteps

Lollll

odd_morsel is losing it.

As an aside, if Daglish does go in the summer...Benitez aside, who else would you guys like to see in charge?

Let's hope we get "second-leg poor version of Napoli".

Kenny can get away with it blaming injuries/few key players not performing.

What's Mancini's excuse for losing the league title and crashing out in Europe twice?

The difference is Mancini has shown improvement compared to last season and we are still in contention for the title. If we don't win the league this season it will be with a points tally that would be good enough to win in many previous seasons.

Liverpool aren't even in the running for 4th place. Infact they are closer points wise to Wigan than they are Arsenal/Spurs.

Feorax

Lollll

odd_morsel is losing it.

As an aside, if Daglish does go in the summer...Benitez aside, who else would you guys like to see in charge?

Id actually give AVB a go. He didnt do great at Cheslea, but he bought good players and likes to use a style of play that our better players could easily adapt to.

TeegsD

Its really sad that leiria isn't using their stadium. Its like one of my favorite places to go to since its close to where my family resides.

GorillaJu

Nah not at all. I can't remember getting a decent answer though with thought behind it. Maybe I missed it.

Not but 2-ish days ago there was a multi-page discussion on this exact topic. If you can't find it I'll give you the rundown:

- most Liverpool fans are very obviously unhappy

- Kenny may or may not be to blame, but we'd like to give someone else a shot

- consensus seems to be that Rafa Benitez is the best choice, but will still be unlikely

- there is no point in changing managers now. We're in Europe because of the league cup, and there's no chance of a CL spot. Nothing to play for except the FA cup and Kenny hasn't shown weakness in the cups

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The difference is Mancini has shown improvement compared to last season and we are still in contention for the title. If we don't win the league this season it will be with a points tally that would be good enough to win in many previous seasons.

Liverpool aren't even in the running for 4th place. Infact they are closer points wise to Wigan than they are Arsenal/Spurs.

I'm just saying, if City end this season with no titles (VERY likely), they should consider hiring a better manager. Not excuse whatsoever for crashing out twice in Europe with that squad. He screwed up many games in the league as well with his tactics :/

GorillaJu

Lollll

odd_morsel is losing it.

Hah, I lost it a long time ago, nowhere to sink to now.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if I thought it was a legitimate question to spur discussion, but it's dc89, and he only does two things:

- talk about City
- bait Liverpool fans

There really isn't any money to be made at all - in fact clubs usually end up with a loss, not to mention slumping in the league when your squad is tired from midweek games. It doesn't really do anyone any good.

If we were to win the Uefa cup, then I'd love it, but I'd rather we just concentrate entirely on the league. That said, now that we're in, I expect the team to take it 100% seriously.

TeegsD

We need to be more consistent when getting to the final third. If we come out a bit more aggressively, then we should have no problem. But this is Leiria and they love to beat us.

Salvadora

Hah, I lost it a long time ago, nowhere to sink to now.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if I thought it was a legitimate question to spur discussion, but it's dc89, and he only does two things:

- talk about City
- bait Liverpool fans

Add in talk about RVP going to City.

Feorax

I was going to say something smart to him but realise he does have a point.

1: We don't have a strong squad to handle league cups, league games and European football.
2: It would be better to concentrate on just the league.

There are also some very good players playing Europa League football. The fact that we can offer it is something we have to use to our advantage in the summer transfer market to improve our squad.

GorillaJu

1: We don't have a strong squad to handle league cups, league games and European football.

If it were the CL, I wouldn't be swayed by issue #1, despite agreeing with you. I know I'm going to get laughed at for saying this, but we have a better team than Napoli, Benfica, APOEL, Olympique Merseille, and a few others who had very respectable CL runs. We also won the CL with a somewhat ragtag squad, through sheer determination and some great tactics by Rafa.

The CL is always worth going for, no matter how confident you are in your team. It's an important competition to be in. The Uefa cup doesn't have the upsides that the CL does (prestige for attracting new talent, a very significant amount of revenue, morale boost for players), so I wouldn't mind if we just weren't involved with it. As it is, I believe Liverpool is tied for most Uefa cup trophies :p

elseanio

What would be the point on getting top 4 if our squad isn't strong enough for European football?

If our squad isn't good enough for the Uefa cup, then it needs improving.

GorillaJu

What would be the point on getting top 4 if our squad isn't strong enough for European football?

Well, I personally expect us to spend this Summer, and getting top 4 may be the difference between Hoilett and Hazard, or Sinclair and Soldado...

There are also some very good players playing Europa League football. The fact that we can offer it is something we have to use to our advantage in the summer transfer market to improve our squad.

The question is thou are they going to improve the squad properly or end up buying a bunch of deadwood again (i.e. Adam, Downing, Carroll)?

The problem is that with Europa League is you play on a Thursday only to be playing again on a Saturday or Sunday which isn't enough time for players to recover. With CL you get that extra day which helps a lot. Our bench doesn't have quality players on it let alone our first team.

If it were the CL, I wouldn't be swayed by issue #1, despite agreeing with you. I know I'm going to get laughed at for saying this, but we have a better team than Napoli, Benfica, APOEL, Olympique Merseille, and a few others who had very respectable CL runs. We also won the CL with a somewhat ragtag squad, through sheer determination and some great tactics by Rafa.

The CL is always worth going for, no matter how confident you are in your team. It's an important competition to be in. The Uefa cup doesn't have the upsides that the CL does (prestige for attracting new talent, a very significant amount of revenue, morale boost for players), so I wouldn't mind if we just weren't involved with it. As it is, I believe Liverpool is tied for most Uefa cup trophies :p

Forgot about that but not many teams have done that thou.

Feorax

Fenway wont allow the club to bring in any more deadwood. As I understand it, Commoli has already had a bollocking from the owners over recent form.

We've almost certainly met the required quota now, buy British will almost certainly not be an acceptable policy again unless we're talking a real high profile addition.

Salvadora

Nothing wrong with buying British players, Although they do have an inflated price. The problem is the players Liverpool have bought.

xbhaskarx

New York Cosmos Legend Giorgio Chinaglia Passes Away

9_Giorgio_Chinaglia_New_York_Minute_Cosmos_0.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that the New York Cosmos report that former Italy and Lazio Striker and New York Cosmos Legend, Giorgio Chinaglia has passed away this morning.

Giorgio Chinaglia was one of the most exceptional soccer players to ever play in the United States and the New York Cosmos' greatest player ever. During his remarkable career with the Cosmos, Chinaglia won 4 NASL titles and scored 242 goals in 254 matches, making him the NASL's all-time leading scorer. Chinaglia was elected into the US National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2000.

in 2010, with the revival of the New York Cosmos, Chinaglia became an ambassador of the club and was an integral part of ensuring the New York Cosmos past was never forgotten.

Our condolences and thoughts are with Giorgio’s family at this time and we ask that you respect their privacy.

Mastadon

Banned
Nothing wrong with buying British players, Although they do have an inflated price. The problem is the players Liverpool have bought.

Easy to say that in hindsight, but at the time they looked like fairly solid signings, and it was clear to see the intention behind them all.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juventus 3-5-2: Buffon; Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie; Borriello, Vucinic

LOL

TeegsD

Have completely spaced out from this game for the last 20 minutes. Just saw that Matias came on. also why has the game been stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom