• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lollll

odd_morsel is losing it.

As an aside, if Daglish does go in the summer...Benitez aside, who else would you guys like to see in charge?

Rafa would be my number 1 choice
Villas-Boas as long as he was given free reign in transfers in, and more importantly, out
Conte maybe?
Enquire after Klopp under the assumption that he'd decline
I'd say Rodgers if we had more players to fit his philosophy

RIP, sad news.

What's the situation with the NY Cosmos? Are they still on track to reform as a team in the MLS? NYC shirt is my favourite out of the ones I own (that or Peru!). It's lovely.

Easy to say that in hindsight, but at the time they looked like fairly solid signings, and it was clear to see the intention behind them all.
Not sure about that. I don't think many people expected the signings to be as poor as they have been, but at the same time I think everybody (at least everybody outside of LFC) was underwhelmed by the summer recruits. The policy was clear but it had it's doubters.

I really don't think Liverpool can attract the likes of Hazard or Soldado to the club this summer. Soldado...maybe...but even him I'm not sure about, Valencia will have CL football and if he is for sale then you'd expect other clubs to be in for him too. I guess it's possible if FSG are prepared to spend big big money, not just on transfer fees but on wages.

Henderson was the only British signing I was slightly excited by. You could tell that DOwning, Carroll and Adam weren;t going to be world-beaters, don't thik anyone expected them to be as poor as they have been though. Well, I expected Adam to be poor, but the other 3 I expected more of. Especially Downing, who I at least rated before he joined

To Liverpool fans maybe. I seem to recall much mockery. It's been 'I told you so' ever since.

Not all Liverpool fans were impressed with the signings in the summer. They never impressed me when I watched them play especially Adam, so I was really bummed out when we signed him. Could have spent that 9 million on a better midfielder.

Vucinic is just spending too much time on the ball. Other than that, he's doing well.

As for Borriello, this ref, and fair play to him, is letting the game run. Borriello has obviously been told to try and draw fouls in and around the box.

Edit: again, vucinic, way too much time on the ball. Needs to dump it off faster. It slows down our attack and we have people like Maggio sneaking from behind and stripping him from the ball.

rodvik

Easy to say that in hindsight, but at the time they looked like fairly solid signings, and it was clear to see the intention behind them all.

Generally agree. Its worth remembering Carroll was on fire when he was bought. We all laughed at the price tag but there was an assumption he was a good player albeit overpriced. Downing had had a particularly good year with Villa and Adam had impressed at Blackpool.

Suarez & Bellamy are self evidently good signings imho.

Its amazing though how the Liverpool team is less than the sum of its parts and the form some of the the signings has just nosed dived in form. I find it genuinely baffling.

I do hope however they give up on the league and focus on the cups. We could use the points :)

Carbonox

Newcastle v Chelsea will be the decider for 5th spot I think. Newcastle are gonna be fired up beyond belief now that we're 7 games away from finalising whether or not we're in Europe. Finishing 5th would be that extra special icing.

Not sure when the game is though. :lol It's been pushed back to whenever.

We have Swansea, Bolton, Wigan, Stoke, Man City and Everton left to play along with Chelsea.

So what do most people in here who watch EPL watch when those games aren't on? Serie A or La Liga?
La Liga or occasionally Serie A.

Since I watch at least 3 PL games every weekend...I find it tough to find time to watch other leagues. I'll be too busy with the fallout from the PL games...or just other stuff in life :lol

Rumours that United are very interested in Strootman. Apparently been watched by our scouts 12 times this season. God let that be true. Please.

Clegg

Mame Diouf scored for Hannover again....

He's going to turn into another Giuseppe Rossi isn't he?

Why did we sell him and keep Macheda?

confuziz

Banned
La Liga or occasionally Serie A.

Since I watch at least 3 PL games every weekend...I find it tough to find time to watch other leagues. I'll be too busy with the fallout from the PL games...or just other stuff in life :lol

Rumours that United are very interested in Strootman. Apparently been watched by our scouts 12 times this season. God let that be true. Please.

NO YOU STAY AWAY FROM OUR GOD

Fuck, our midfield trio are amazing players. De Ceglie is having a wonderful game as well.

We definitely need some shaking up of our front. I think we should just put on Del Piero and watch the magic. :p

Zabojnik

Dear Conte,

please stop. You tried, but now it's time to end this fucking bullshit. BORRIELLO IS USELESS and Vucinic isn't far behind. I don't care who you pick, just pick someone else. Thank you.

sneaky77

Dear Conte,

please stop. You tried, but now it's time to end this fucking bullshit. BORRIELLO IS USELESS and Vucinic isn't far behind. I don't care who you pick, just pick someone else. Thank you.

It cannot be that bad if you guys are disputing the title lol

Mastadon

Banned
Not sure about that. I don't think many people expected the signings to be as poor as they have been, but at the same time I think everybody (at least everybody outside of LFC) was underwhelmed by the summer recruits. The policy was clear but it had it's doubters.

To Liverpool fans maybe. I seem to recall much mockery. It's been 'I told you so' ever since.

At the time though, we hadn't got rid of Meireles and Aquilani, so it was felt that Adam would be a squad player, with Henderson as understudy to Gerrard and given time to develop. That's what I mean by solid. No-one was particularly excited about the signings, apart from Henderson, but it looked like they'd add to what was already a good midfield.

We all knew we overpaid for Downing, but he had a decent season at Villa the year before, and he was the most prolific crosser of the ball in the league, with one of the highest accuracies. On paper it made perfect sense, with Carroll being so good in the air.

Plus our options were limited by no European football.

At the time though, we hadn't got rid of Meireles and Aquilani, so it was felt that Adam would be a squad player, with Henderson as understudy to Gerrard and given time to develop. That's what I mean by solid. No-one was particularly excited about the signings, apart from Henderson, but it looked like they'd add to what was already a good midfield.

We all knew we overpaid for Downing, but he had a decent season at Villa the year before, and he was the most prolific crosser of the ball in the league, with one of the highest accuracies. On paper it made perfect sense, with Carroll being so good in the air.

Plus our options were limited by no European football.

Ah good point, forgot about the timing of those. If at the time you'd known those two were going, would you have been more apprehensive about the signings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom