• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, it seems like perhaps a philosophy change is in order. It used to rile me that Chelsea have had so much youth talent squandered because they weren't willing to blood them. They're doing slightly better on that front these days.

I don't understand that train of thought with Daglish either. Players like Pacheco never given a chance, instead loaned out. Silva on loan, few others are just sitting on the bench. Why is Coates on the bench when Carra is starting? I like Carra but he just can't handle the pace anymore.

Interesting. I've heard Suso, Coady and Sterling are the ones to watch. Were they the ones you saw?

I think there are quite a few that look promising:

Suso
Coady
Morgan
Sterling
Wisdom
Nacho
Silva
Sterling
Teixeira

Interesting. I've heard Suso, Coady and Sterling are the ones to watch. Were they the ones you saw?

Pretty much the same. Suso on the ball/your team is attacking is fantastic. Off the ball and you may as well play with 10 men. Not sure I've seen him perform a full 90minutes to the same level when he's attacking as well, fades in and out of the game a lot.

Sterling has some talent, and clearly the potential, but I really want to see if he can perform as he does against more experienced defenders. He was tearing kids apart with his skills and acceleration, but I saw the same with Kezenga LuaLua. Easy to do when the opposition give you all that time and space and fear you. Will senior teams do the same?

The other one was Toni Silva, who has apparently went out on loan somewhere. He's like a mixture of Suso and Sterling.

Wilbur

Banned
It was in the thread earlier, I'm assuming Liverpool fans missed it but Sami Hyypia is caretaker manager at Leverkusen

I think Southampton, Chelsea and City are the only category 1 teams in the new EPPP system, but I'm not sure exactly what that measures?

Investment.
Coaches to Player ratio (and qualifications coaches hold)
Number of hours coaching youth players receive
Facilities offered.
Various other little details too.

Kyoufu

It's worth mentioning both Arsenal and Newcastle's Academy teams are leading their groups.

Man United haven't done so well this season.

Pretty much the same. Suso on the ball/your team is attacking is fantastic. Off the ball and you may as well play with 10 men. Not sure I've seen him perform a full 90minutes to the same level when he's attacking as well, fades in and out of the game a lot.

Sterling has some talent, and clearly the potential, but I really want to see if he can perform as he does against more experienced defenders. He was tearing kids apart with his skills and acceleration, but I saw the same with Kezenga LuaLua. Easy to do when the opposition give you all that time and space and fear you. Will senior teams do the same?

The other one was Toni Silva, who has apparently went out on loan somewhere. He's like a mixture of Suso and Sterling.

Sterling played really well against an Everton and Arsenal reserve side which had a lot of experienced players on it.

Mastadon

Banned
Why is Coates on the bench when Carra is starting?

I'd imagine it's because Coates is a young player who doesn't have much experience at this level. Throw a player into the mix too early, especially a young foreign player, and you risk damaging their confidence massively.

That's exactly what happened when we signed Paletta. He was a very highly rated young defender who was thrown in too early and it broke him.

It's worth mentioning both Arsenal and Newcastle's Academy teams are leading their groups.

Man United haven't done so well this season.
Our academy won it's first game for something like 4 months just the other day. I think it was against Newcastle actually.

The team isn't very good this year, although it has reached the Youth Cup Semi's. Last year's team was very good, expect 2/3 PL players to come from it.

Sterling played really well against an Everton and Arsenal reserve side which had a lot of experienced players on it.

Players rarely give a damn or perform to 100%, certainly first teamers playing to regain fitness or are just plain out of favour. One of the reasons they're scrapping the reserve league and turning it into an U21/Development competition.

Our academy won it's first game for something like 4 months just the other day. I think it was against Newcastle actually.

The team isn't very good this year, although it has reached the Youth Cup Semi's. Last year's team was very good, expect 2/3 PL players to come from it.

Yup 2-1. Our Keeper played well, so you probably should have won by a bit more. Carrington is a bit of a boogie ground for us.

elseanio

It was in the thread earlier, I'm assuming Liverpool fans missed it but Sami Hyypia is caretaker manager at Leverkusen

Yeah, read that during the game. Happy for him, hope he does well. Such a legend at Liverpool. I've wanted him as some sort of defensive coach here.

GorillaJu

I think the players and coaches both know that results mean very little in terms of youth teams. Developing the talent is really all its there for, and you can have talented players and still lose a lot of games.

Which side has the best youth set up in England, Arsenal? It could be United as well.

Bloody hard to measure. My (unqualified) thought was that City, Arsenal, Chelsea and to a lesser extent United were producing the most talented young players in England.

However, the most successful clubs at these levels seem to be:

Academy League - Arsenal are the most common winners.

FA Youth Cup - United, Liverpool and Arsenal are pretty common winners.

Premier Reserve League - United, Liverpool and Villa seem common winners.

Man U tend to put their more talented players into the Reserve/Development set up straight away, only playing them in Youth Cup games at Youth Level.

Which side has the best youth set up in England, Arsenal? It could be United as well.

In terms of players produced that are playing in the Premiership I don't think anyone has produced more than Man U.

Thing is, the "top" clubs have a lot of lads who have been developed elsewhere playing for their academy sides. In terms of playings rising up through an academy from a very young age to pro level...I don't think United/City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal actually fare that well, or particularly better than other clubs.

Take Pogba for example, or even Fabio and Rafael. Both played for our academy but the bulk of their development took place elsewhere.

In terms of players produced that are playing in the Premiership I don't think anyone has produced more than Man U.
There was a statistic I came across which suggested something like x% of players had spent time at our academy. Can't remember what the figure was but I remember it being surprisingly high, gonna look for it now.

elseanio

Man U tend to put their more talented players into the Reserve/Development set up straight away, only playing them in Youth Cup games at Youth Level.

Yeah, Liverpool do the same. Our reserve team is filled with mostly u18s

That's what I do in FM! :D

ElyrionX

I just read this quote by Mancini:

A player like Mario or (Edin) Dzeko should score two or three goals in a game like this. In this moment we need Carlos (Tevez), a striker who can do different. I want this.

From "Carlos Tevez will never play for Manchester City again" to this shit. LOL. What a muppet.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Game of Thrones S2 is going to air tonight right?

To keep it on topic: Predictions for Juve - Napoli? Or better, A Cavani hat-trick or a brace?

Mastadon

Banned
Game of Thrones S2 is going to air tonight right?

To keep it on topic: Predictions for Juve - Napoli? Or better, A Cavani hat-trick or a brace?
Yup! Hype.

I have faith in Juve, so much so I've just bet a sizeable amount on you winning. Don't let me down Yurt!

Wilbur

Banned
You pathetic weaklings. I've been drunk two days in a row and I never get hangovers. I've never had one.

Maklershed, support Manchester United, we are impervious to alcohol
dont tell Rooney

Kyoufu

Holy shit Swanselona.

Awesomesauce. If Tottenham draw or lose I'll be happy.

tbh I'm afraid of facing Swanselona on their turf. They're a solid team.

elsk

Banned
Hoffenheim winning.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom