• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

So what players are on people's ideal shopping lists for their clubs this summer? Especially for positions you need to strengthen?

If Newcastle get in to Europe then we'd probably need like 7 or 8 decent to quality players to give us some good depth. Our team now has no way of being able to handle Europe as well as everything else, due to its size. Our youngsters aren't good enough either just yet, though Abeid, Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi are already fairly decent options.

Around 3 or 4 defenders, primarily CB's and an LB. 2 midfielders, primarily a CM and a winger, maybe a third midfielder (CM) if we can get rid of Gosling as we'll also get rid of Smith. Another striker who's actually decent and can help the burden in the other competitions, while we use Cisse and Ba for the league, etc.

Probably easily take 30m or 40m to get all of that, which I doubt Mike Ashley would sanction unless he's deadly serious about giving the Europa League a go.

Off topic:

I've just watched Ep.9 of Game of Thrones. FUUUUUUUUU
I think my jaw actually dropped at the end of that episode.

Watching Homeland again, so good.

Might miss the game tonight, mums birthday. Feeling very nervous. Lawro thinks we'll win cos the pitch is big and we're good at utilising that. I feel better now :)

Salazar

So what players are on people's ideal shopping lists for their clubs this summer? Especially for positions you need to strengthen?

A LB. A dynamic CM - not a tackler per se, but he has to get properly stuck in. Someone with a godlike passing game is probably more vital. Much as I dislike teams going through us in the middle of the park, our capacity to hurt them in return will always be more important. I will be annoyed if this is not the absolute minimum of our window spend.

If Newcastle get in to Europe then we'd probably need like 7 or 8 decent to quality players to give us some good depth. Our team now has no way of being able to handle Europe as well as everything else, due to its size. Our youngsters aren't good enough either just yet, though Abeid, Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi are already fairly decent options.

Around 3 or 4 defenders, primarily CB's and an LB. 2 midfielders, primarily a CM and a winger, maybe a third midfielder (CM) if we can get rid of Gosling as we'll also get rid of Smith. Another striker who's actually decent and can help the burden in the other competitions, while we use Cisse and Ba for the league, etc.

Probably easily take 30m or 40m to get all of that, which I doubt Mike Ashley would sanction unless he's deadly serious about giving the Europa League a go.
Neccesary;
LB - Not really sure what the options are in this position. I think Aly Cissokho is quite good as is Mamadou Sakho. Sakho can play CB too which will help because I feel we could do with an extra option there since Rio is ageing.
CM - M'Vila and Strootman are the two players who I'd really like to see us go for. Young and very talented but not quite superstars. Should be able to mould them and get the best out of them and wouldn't be crazy expensive; I think both are possible but I don't see it happening, we never ever sign players that I want us to sign.

Could do with;
ST - With Berbatov leaving I think we may need another striker. Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez is a good strike force but you should have 4 IMO. However as all 3 can play up top perhaps a midfielder who can also double up as a very effective CAM who can play in behind should the need arise. Rasmus Elm was a rumoured name and he looks a good player, wouldn't cost the world and young too so maybe wouldn't be desperate for football right away.
CM - Another CM. I think one will do because there are young players coming through and because I'd rather we spread the spending but a second , maybe cheaper option would help cos our CM is quite weak. Fletcher may not come back, Scholes will be gone, Anderson has to be close to the end...

What will happen;
Winger, a winger and oh yeah another winger.

Dream transfer;
KAGAWA - Freakin love this guy. He could be that CAM I mentioned but really I don't see it happening at all.

The LB and CM are a must though. Will be happy if we sign a player in those areas. I actually think our squad is quite good and very close to being great so I don't think we need a lot of players as some people seem to think.

Arnie

Off topic:

I've just watched Ep.9 of Game of Thrones. FUUUUUUUUU

At the time that stunned me, I read that particular scene on the way back from London on a coach and I was gobsmacked. Think I put the book back into my bag and opted for my iPod in disgust.

Then I read the rest of the series and realised that was but a mere starter.

I started to believe in the Devil after Storm of Swords.
sooooo good

I'm actually enjoying AFFC, about half way through and the change of pace and intensity is somewhat satisfying. Can't wait for ADWD, just ordered it off Amazon, should arrive on Wednesday.

dc89

I stopped believing in god after that episode.

Might miss the game tonight, mums birthday. Feeling very nervous. Lawro thinks we'll win cos the pitch is big and we're good at utilising that. I feel better now :)

It really is incredible stuff.

At the time that stunned me, I read that particular scene on the way back from London on a coach and I was gobsmacked. Think I put the book back into my bag and opted for my iPod in disgust.

Then I read the rest of the series and realised that was but a mere starter.

sooooo good

I'm actually enjoying AFFC, about half way through and the change of pace and intensity is somewhat satisfying. Can't wait for ADWD, just ordered it off Amazon, should arrive on Wednesday.

Impossible!

Clegg

sooooo good

I don't get the people who hate AFFC.

Some of the POVs are a bit boring but you get some great insight into the minds of certain characters. Won't mention who due to spoilers.

first day of class. a friend asked me if bayern is gonna win the league. i said yes!

So you finally stopped crying about not winning the league? Cool, it was rather strange, we'll see next Wednesday!

Dream transfer;
KAGAWA - Freakin love this guy. He could be that CAM I mentioned but really I don't see it happening at all.

I could see it happening if Ferguson wanted him. But I'm really not sure about that to be honest. There were rumors about him wanting to join United after his first few matches at Dortmund. The strange thing is that there are absolutely no rumors right now which is kinda strange considering Kagawa signing his new contract is taking way too long if you ask me.

Arnie

It really is incredible stuff.

Impossible!

It's a testament to the writing and the series as a whole that *series 1 spoiler
Ned Stark can mean so much at one moment, then so little the next. Think of season 1 as a primer for everything to come, like an undercoat of paint on a wall.

I don't get the people who hate AFFC.

Some of the POVs are a bit boring but you get some great insight into the minds of certain characters. Won't mention who due to spoilers.
Exactly. Love how they're all revealed through pseudonyms rather than actual names.

elsk

Banned
I could see it happening if Ferguson wanted him. But I'm really not sure about that to be honest. There were rumors about him wanting to join United after his first few matches at Dortmund. The strange thing is that there are absolutely no rumors right now which is kinda strange considering Kagawa signing his new contract is taking way too long if you ask me.

Is Kuba staying in Dortmund? He's a very good player.

Kyoufu

This is so, so sweet.

Jose-Enrique-goalkeeper.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
*unpopular opinion incoming*
I know the books are superior, but I almost always prefer a motion picture.

On topic:

100 million bid for Mats Hummels. I want this gangsta in my team <3

tumblr_ldj78iJ6iU1qd9zauo1_500.png

Won't happen for many reasons :(

Messi

I could not believe it.

Arnie

Holy shit theres a guy doing some slow motion tai chi shit on the park across from my house. I'll try and take some stealth iPhone footage. What a creep.

Carbonox

This is so, so sweet.

Jose-Enrique-goalkeeper.jpg

There couldn't be anything more humiliating for him if I tried to come up with something. It was perfect. Such a chump. Carroll getting a second yellow would have been some icing on the cake as well I think. Maybe Dalglish sent to the stands also. :p

Holy shit theres a guy doing some slow motion tai chi shit on the park across from my house. I'll try and take some stealth iPhone footage. What a creep.

wat? No, join in.

Striker - Barrios is very likely to leave. Ginczek is coming back from his loan spell and would be a great third striker. But we need a second one. I'd prefer a young German one like Mlapa or Schieber (Fuck you Schieber lol) but I would take someone like Guidetti, too.

CB - Santana is about to leave too :(. It's a shame that Sobiech (young CB, on loan at St. Pauli) got injured, he was great in the matches he played for Pauli but it would be too risky to make him CB number 3 behind Hummels and Subotic next season. Who? No idea, really. Maybe someone like Kirchhoff from Mainz but it would be a bit of a gamble, too. I hope for a good surprise player from Poland or something :D

Other than that, we're pretty full already. One midfielder will probably leave too because it's too full. All points to either Kuba or Kagawa if he doesn't sign the new contract.

Edit: And I got my dream signing already:
reus_800-1320749484.jpg

There couldn't be anything more humiliating for him if I tried to come up with something. It was perfect. Such a chump. Carroll getting a second yellow would have been some icing on the cake as well I think. Maybe Dalglish sent to the stands also. :p

wat? No, join in.

What's humiliating about being put in goal when we've made all our subs? The humiliation for him is being behind you, and losing the match.

I don't get what makes him a chump and how is it humiliating for him to take over goal duties. Please enlighten me.

Carbonox

I don't get what makes him a chump and how it is embarrassing for him to take over goal duties. Please enlighten me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/24/jose-enrique-newcastle

It was the perfect day. Returning to SJP for the first time. Watching his old team beat his new team, going 11 points clear. Having to go in goal in front of the Toon army like some weird metaphor for not 'being a defender anymore' after being made to look silly by Ben Arfa.

It was a glorious two fingers up at him.

Feorax

In

Striker - Either Balotelli or Llorente. Whether Carroll stays or not is irrelevant, we need a proper number 9 to compliment Suarez, and both of those could quite easily fill that role.

LW - Gaston Ramirez

RW - David Hoilett

DM - Yann M'Vila

Out

Kuyt and Maxi - Both great players, but they would only end up seeing out their careers rotting on the bench if they stayed with us, and they deserve better.

Carragher - Too old, too slow, and brings down the quality of the defence. Great servant to the club but not good enough anymore. Coates should be third choice.

Carbonox

That still doesn't explain how its humiliating being at goal?

To take over from your goalkeeper is admirable. Let's make that clear.

For Enrique to do this in front of the Toon Army, seeing his team lose to his old one who he pissed off so much, whilst standing in between the sticks - it would feel humiliating for anyone. Again, this isn't about his choice to be in goal - it's commendable, it's just that this had to happen in front of a sea of Newcastle fans who dislike him very very much.

The event wasn't a favourable one for him, that's for sure. If you fail to see why the Newcastle fans find it a comical event and a bit of the old paidback for him being a dick, that's your problem.

For Enrique to do this in front of the Toon Army, seeing his team lose to his old one who he pissed off so much, whilst standing in between the sticks - it would feel humiliating for anyone. Again, this isn't about his choice to be in goal - it's commendable, it's just that this had to happen in front of a sea of Newcastle fans who dislike him very very much.

The event wasn't a favourable one for him, that's for sure. If you fail to see why the Newcastle fans find it a comical event and a bit of the old paidback for him being a dick, that's your problem.

I can see why you'd find it comical, can't see why he'd be humiliated by it though

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GUYS! Stop fighting, there's a guy doing some slow motion tai chi shit on the park across from Arnie's house!

edit: ..and I just realized shit wasn't actually part of tai chi shit.

d-oh_101773.jpg

Clegg

I don't think Enrique will want to dwell on the game for too long anyway. He didn't have a good game at leftback, never mind in goal.

Ben Arfa was causing him problems all day long.

Just buy Emilio Izaguirre ffs! :D
Oh! Forgot about him! I remember there were stories linking us to him a while back actually. That would be perfect, he would be quite cheap coming from the SPL and language/culture shouldn't be a problem as he's been in freakin Glasgow for a while, Manchester would actually be an upgrade (sorry Glasgow-GAF). Could be a goer that one!

In

Striker - Either Balotelli or Llorente. Whether Carroll stays or not is irrelevant, we need a proper number 9 to compliment Suarez, and both of those could quite easily fill that role.

LW - Gaston Ramirez

RW - David Hoilett

DM - Yann M'Vila
Balotelli? Really? Hmm he's a good player but I'm not sure i'd want him at my club. I don't think he'd move to Liverpool either, or anywhere in England for that matter. Personally think its only a matter of time before he ends up at AC.

Also I have to say I've got my doubts about whether either of those strikers would move to Liverpool at the moment.

Edit - Just seen Bilbao are quite down the table in Spain so Llorente could be a possibility.

For those of us who haven't watched the HBO series, but have read all the books, what happens in episode 9, I'm going to guess that
Ned is killed?

LegoArmo

Oh! Forgot about him! I remember there were stories linking us to him a while back actually. That would be perfect, he would be quite cheap coming from the SPL and language/culture shouldn't be a problem as he's been in freakin Glasgow for a while, Manchester would actually be an upgrade (sorry Glasgow-GAF). Could be a goer that one!

Probably wouldn't sell for anything less than £8m, I think. He's rated very highly up there. I guess that's cheap in the grand scheme of things though.

I don't know if he'd be that much better than Evra for United anyway.

@Carbonox_Ratchet 8pm, I think.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a shit and he won't let it bother him. Also it didn't seem like he had a bad game at left back to me. Also him and Skrtel have been pulling weight for Carragher lately.

Clegg

De Gea

Rafael
Evans
Rio
Evra

Carrick
Scholes
Jones

Valencia
Rooney
Hernandez

I'm slightly uneasy about this formation.
Would have preferred Welbeck in for Hernandez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom