• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice from Bojan to dedicate his goal to Abidal and also pretty funny he gets a yellow for it.

I know Busquets is hated/not liked around here but this is a pretty cool 14minute video on him. Doubt anyone will watch it though, a bit too long lol. Messi, Fady, Sunhi, error etc you guys watch it.
Nice video. Allas does some cool Barca stuff. Busquets is fantastic. I don't know if he is the best DM in the world out right (probably is) but for Barcelona he certainly is. So smart and his passing is as consistent as anybody's. Great player.

FootballFan

yeah the Madrid - APOEL game is basically a waste of time this week lol.

Barca and Chelsea matches will be the interesting ones, the are the only ones I am taping to watch after work anyway

Yeah I know, as I predicted right when the draw happened, these quarterfinals will be boring, and they have been. Milan-Barca is the only game I thought would be exciting and even that game had a pretty tame first leg. Although Semis will be amazing. Madrid-Baaayyernnn and Chelsea-Barca/Milan

edit
Nice video. Allas does some cool Barca stuff. Busquets is fantastic. I don't know if he is the best DM in the world out right (probably is) but for Barcelona he certainly is. So smart and his passing is as consistent as anybody's. Great player.

Yeah allas is cool.
It is the same thing as Valdes, Busquets probably isn't the best DM, but he certainly is the best DM for Barca.
Just like Valdes probably isn't the best GK, but he definitely is the best GK Barca can get.

This may not mean much to all of you, but it is big news for me and I wanted to share it with FootyGAF:

My girlfriend got into Northwestern University Graduate School!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the hardest school in the country to get into and it means I'm moving to Chicago!!

sneaky77

This may not mean much to all of you, but it is big news for me and I wanted to share it with FootyGAF:

My girlfriend got into Northwestern University Graduate School!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the hardest school in the country to get into and it means I'm moving to Chicago!!

Congratulations on finally leaving Ohio, is a good move for you.. lol.

Also I just watched the Man Utd highlights, and that Valencia goal is very awesome

sneaky77

Looks like Barcelona are mathematically in CL next season, which means we are mathematically on Europe League as well. Woo.

GorillaJu

Grats to your special lady friend, Animals. Chicago is gonna be a lot of fun. I could spend a week in the Art Institute museum alone, but god, the winter is just too fucking cold there for me.

Enrique is a pretty fucking big guy, but he looked like a kid wearing his dad's shirt in Pepe's jersey.

Great result for United yesterday. Title is absolutely their's to lose now, hoping they do, but not really that invested. Should be an entertaining battle till the end, though.

elsk

Banned
Good match, for the first time in the whole tournament Honduras played as a team! Even ironic: 90% of the team were bench guys.

I think it should've ended in penalties, the teams played equally good before the red card of Garrido.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Good match, for the first time in the whole tournament Honduras played as a team! Even ironic: 90% of the team were bench guys.

I think it should've ended in penalties, the teams played equally good before the red card of Garrido.
You cannot just commit stupid fouls like that. You are basically gimping yourselves for the first game at the Olympics.
Um ok. Just calm down you're scaring the children.
Campeones de un torneo molero pero campeones. /shrugs

elsk

Banned
You cannot just commit stupid fouls like that. You are basically gimping yourselves for the first game at the Olympics.

The second yellow card of Garrido was a yellow no doubt! but at the start of the match the referee was giving yellow cards to Honduran players because of any type of fault.

And later the expulsion of Crisanto was just stupid. That second yellow card was not necessary at all.

I think Honduras played on the same level of México, before the red card.

GorillaJu

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op...-manchester-city-roberto-mancini&cat=football

Am I the only one who's irked by the fact that every single article that bemoans a manager has to include an obligatory "WHAT WOULD ALEX FURGESON DO?" paragraph?

I find myself disagreeing with a lot of this article about Mancini. I think City's recent woes have less to do with his management than the team itself. He put together an incredibly talented team of young foreign players, and brought them in on the promises of riches and future success.

This, to me, is a disaster waiting to happen. It's like building an army out of mercenaries. I can't think of but two or three players who actually care about the badge on their shirt. You can blaim Mancini for this, but anyone in his position will have difficulty getting the players on his side and fighting. In the end they all know just like we do that Mancini isn't the biggest guy at the club, just like all the players know the Chelsea manager is always doomed to the same fate.

sneaky77

At some point you have to blame Mancini for some stuff, I mean crashed out of CL, crashed out of EL, lost the lead in the EPL and they spent a whole lot of money in that squad to go out with a whimper like that.

GorillaJu

At some point you have to blame Mancini for some stuff, I mean crashed out of CL, crashed out of EL, lost the lead in the EPL and they spent a whole lot of money in that squad to go out with a whimper like that.

United dropping out of both European comps in even worse fashion works somewhat in his defense, but I'm with you there – he definitely does deserve some blame.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The second yellow card of Garrido was a yellow no doubt! but at the start of the match the referee was giving yellow cards to Honduran players because of any type of fault.

And later the expulsion of Crisanto was just stupid. That second yellow card was not necessary at all.

I think Honduras played on the same level of México, before the red card.

I kinda give Mexico the edge because Hondurans were fouling almost non-stop which killed futbol between the 2 for some time and Mexico were attacking more than Honduras.

Next, them 2 Honduran deserved the reds for their constant fouling and it was extremely silly get themselves expelled. I expected both teams to play clean so they could go to the London without any problems but look what happened....sadly it turned out to be a mess. I couldn't enjoy the win for what transpired thru the whole game.

Finally, if this is how Honduras is gonna play futbol by being physical, fouling, faking injuries, etc I dont see them advancing out of their group. So hopefully they start playing smarter as well as not losing their cool and advance from their group to the next round. Good luck to both teams!
:D

elsk

Banned
I kinda give Mexico the edge because Hondurans were fouling almost non-stop which killed futbol between the 2 for some time and Mexico were attacking more than Honduras.

Next, them 2 Honduran deserved the reds for their constant fouling and it was extremely silly get themselves expelled. I expected both teams to play clean so they could go to the London without any problems but look what happened....sadly it turned out to be a mess. I couldn't enjoy the win for what transpired thru the whole game.

Finally, if this is how Honduras is gonna play futbol by being physical, fouling, faking injuries, etc I dont see them advancing out of their group. So hopefully they start playing smarter as well as not losing their cool and advance from their group to the next round. Good luck to both teams!
:D

It's a true shame the mexicans fans are so blind, really. Faking injuries? Fabián did that to make Garrido get a red card... and México was making fouls all over the place, but obviously they're better in making it less obvious. The only honduran player that faked an injury was the goalkeeper, and that was when they were 11 vs. 10... still I don't support that behavior.

Maybe you get the feeling of Honduras "fouling almost non-stop" beacuse everyone of our fouls was a yellow card. One of your full backs made like 4 fouls against our left winger before he got a yellow card.

And Honduras attacked just as much as México before the red card. I don't know what match were you watching. If México made more than 1 shoot on target before their first goal I would be surprised.

If you're going to be so fanboy about your team, there really isn't a point in answering me.
edit: oh, you're the same guy who said the mexican goalie was better than the canadian goalkeeper. nvm then!

Lightning

Banned
United dropping out of both European comps in even worse fashion works somewhat in his defense, but I'm with you there – he definitely does deserve some blame.
United are rebuilding and have basically won the league while rebuilding. Mancini does not have the same defence and his flaws as a manager are quite clearly showing up. Has Nasri been utilized correctly for example? Why has David Silva not been allowed a break? Ballotelli's attitude is disgraceful yet Mancini let him go too far, Tevez's behaviour is disgraceful and was disgraceful long before the Munich incident yet Mancini let it go.... He brings all of this shit on himself.

Ask yourself this, do you think Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger would tolerate the BS from Tevez or Ballotelli? Not a chance imo. Mancini's decision making and to a certain extent his tactics are working against City at the moment and that squad are clearly distrupted and no surprise with Ballotelli and Tevez there.

Remember the treatment Gallas got from Arsenal when he started being lippy? Yeah, Mancini needs to adopt a similar approach.

Good news fellow gooners, supposedly Chamakh was snapped with Adel Taarabt right after the loss this weekend smoking shisha and Arsene is pissed. Hopefully this cements his sale come summer.

It's not like Arsene had any intention of ever playing him in the first place, so what's he upset by

kX83q.jpg
LLShC.gif

I didn't tell the fucker to go in and break the first leg he saw. At least didn't complain about the two weeks fine, to make it all worse I hit the cross bar in stoppage time and Siena ran up and scored on a counter attack to make it 1-1.
LLShC.gif

Got a good replacement for Silvestre in the defense who is now injured. 36 years old and in his best Serie A age. Despite him the teams average age is still 22.

tOK7r.jpg

A few of you might find this amusing.

Game of Thrones–to–English Premier League Converter

Some of my favorites

MANCHESTER UNITED: HOUSE BOLTON OF THE DREADFORT
The most powerful house in the North. Sinister, ruthless, and brutal, their motto is “Our Blades Are Sharp,” and they will do whatever it takes to win. Sir Alex Ferguson is the cold, calculating Roose Bolton, a leech lover, known to flay those who dare confront him. Wayne Rooney is the ugly Ramsay Bolton, his legitimated bastard son, a creature who delights in violently torturing those around him.

MANCHESTER CITY: THE GOLDEN COMPANY
A legendary force of sellswords, feared as the largest and most expensive mercenary army in the Free Cities. Consisting of infantry, horses, and a number of elephants, their words are their war cry: "Beneath the gold, the bitter steel."

ARSENAL: HOUSE BARATHEON
Not so long ago, they were the Royal House, before being undone by a combination of personnel departures (Renly/Fábregas), long-term injuries, and being gored to death by boars (Jack Wilshere/Robert). The stubborn Arsene Wenger is Stannis — a humorless, brooding man of principle who might dabble in the dark arts to regain the Iron Throne.

TOTTENHAM: HOUSE TYRELL OF HIGHGARDEN
The self-styled Warden of the South committed to chivalry and style. Its motto is “Growing Strong.” Tottenham's leader, Harry Redknapp, is Mace Tyrell, an ungainly man who lacks the wits to succeed at the Game of Thrones. Scottie Parker is Loras Tyrell, the boyishly handsome Knight of the Flowers, who is gifted with a mix of battlefield technique and courteous charisma. Gareth Bale is cunning Margaery Tyrell.

CHELSEA: HOUSE LANNISTER
A team whose grip on power is fueled by riches. The de facto ruler, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, is Tywin Lannister, a controlling man who always pays his debts but rarely appears happier than when skinning recently slaughtered deer.
Fat Frank Lampard is Varys, the eunuch Master of Whisperers. John Terry is Jaime Lannister, a warrior with an unusual sense of what passes for an appropriate sexual partner. Juan Mata is Tyrion, the lovable dwarf. I would like to believe Lady Physio is Sansa — a hostage only there at pain of death.

NEWCASTLE: HOUSE ARRYN
A regional power located around the impregnable St. James Park, akin to The Eerie, that unassailable castle high in the mountains. The tradition-soaked club runs on its lore. Their infatuated fans love their team even more than they love their horns of ale. Most long to dispatch impolitic owner Mike Ashley via the Moon Door. Make the bad man fly!

LIVERPOOL: HOUSE STARK
An ancient and glorious Northern house led by a proud and stubborn king. Kenny Dalglish is 100 percent Ned Stark — a leader comfortable as a warrior, but not a politician. He may well lose his head because of it. Luis Suarez is Theon Greyjoy, a simmering hostage with a cocky smile and arrogant attitude. Andy Carroll is Hodor, a large simpleton, slow of wits, but good at carrying stuff. Anfield is Winterfell, a crumbling seat of power home to legions of loyal denizens and legendary symbols.

BLACKBURN: CRASTER’S KEEP
A fortified homestead North of the Wall populated by the sordid Craster and his 19 wives/daughters/mothers of his children. Few understand exactly what is going on there. It is, honestly, better not to know.

QUEENS PARK RANGERS: HOUSE MARTELL
Angry and mysterious, this ill-disciplined southern people have a tendency to strike first and think later. Their hot-blooded temperament (see: Cissé, Djibril, Barton, Joey and Diakité, Samba) has caused them to become isolated and could possibly lead to self-destruction.

LEEDS UNITED: HOUSE TARGARYEN
Once feared and imperious. Now suffering the agony of wandering exile, fueled by visions of return, revenge, and the reclamation of their throne.

The Liverpool and Chelsea ones are pretty spot on.

Don't agree with all the conversions, but it's so hilarious that doesn't matter.

Wayne Rooney is the ugly Ramsay Bolton, his legitimated bastard son, a creature who delights in violently torturing those around him.

The stubborn Arsene Wenger is Stannis — a humorless, brooding man of principle who might dabble in the dark arts to regain the Iron Throne.

Fat Frank Lampard is Varys, the eunuch Master of Whisperers. John Terry is Jaime Lannister, a warrior with an unusual sense of what passes for an appropriate sexual partner. Juan Mata is Tyrion, the lovable dwarf. I would like to believe Lady Physio is Sansa — a hostage only there at pain of death.

Andy Carroll is Hodor, a large simpleton, slow of wits, but good at carrying stuff.

Ice cold.

Do you reckon M'Vila would be a good buy for Arsenal?

I would rather an attacking midfielder personally but was wondering what you thought.

He'd be a good buy for most any team. 21 and already a regular French international. He's not as defensive as some make him out to be either. Great composure on the ball and anticipation off it. He'd be my first buy in the summer for United, since I doubt Martinez will leave the Athletic side Bielsa is creating.

Salvadora

His comments seem to suggest he wouldn't be against a move to Arsenal, Its just shame we probably won't pay the price to get him.

Wilbur

Banned
I dunno, whichever one she wants to fuck the most. Hopefully not the Disney one.

On topic of hot cartoons, I watched Hunchback of Notre Dame the other day and I love Esmerelda

dc89

Did you guys read/hear about how Preston North End players leaked the line up and tactics to Sheffield Wednesday before they played. The manager and chairman have said so but haven't called the leak malicious?

Wtf, how can it be anything but?

neoanarch

Did you guys read/hear about how Preston North End players leaked the line up and tactics to Sheffield Wednesday before they played. The manager and chairman have said so but haven't called the leak malicious?

Wtf, how can it be anything but?

Wasn't PNE in administration and having trouble paying its players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom