• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Meier

Because they have massive loss of money?

The club value has gone up considerably since he bought it -- mostly due to the fact that the players themselves are worth more, but the brand has definitely increased in value significantly beyond that. Another big moneymaker is that the team is paying a flat rate to the City of Manchester now to use the stadium rather than a percentage of ticket sales. They're also looking at expanding the stadium to seat another 12,000+ people. This is definitely a slow burn in terms of making his money back... but even if he doesn't, it's not like he's hurting for cash.

Thanks! I'm not worried! It's only been nine days and if it does take too long I may get a free kit out of it!

Also, this comment is full of funny:

Steve said:
Hey,
I live in USA and my friends have gotten jerseys from soccertriads.com and said it takes 3 weeks to a month to get them. I thinking about getting a jersey from them. I’m a pretty casual soccer fan (I watch the world cup, watch a few games, and play fifa11) but in america im considered an “expert”. Lame, I know. I was wondering what other sites I could use to buy a jersey, and who I should get. I dont want a mainstream guy like Drogba, Torres, etc. because my friends have them. I like guys more like Eto’o and Robinho.
Thanks!

Particularly him saying he wants to avoid mainstream and go for Eto'o!

Was watching tv and a commercial came up for some galaxy phone (tab?) and it said "You will get the acceleration of Bendtner". Well thanks for being honest, Samsung. Now I know what phone never to get.

Carbonox

Fuck you West Ham. Then again, if they get promoted, Sam will just get them relegated again so that might be a glorious thing to witness.

D4Danger said:
you couldn't just lose, could you, west ham?

Of course not - it's the West Ham way to raise the fans hopes in the face of seemingly impossible odds, only to fall short at the final obstacle. Fortune's always hiding, etc.

Clegg

So what do we think of Gylfi Sigurosson?

I can't believe that Hoffenheim were willing to let him go to Swansea on loan. Hes a very good attacking midfielder and could easily do well at a bigger club.

Hixx

I want us to sign him. Him and Cattermole in midfield would be super. Steel and craft.

Also to be honest I would quite happily bring Jeff Whitley out of retirement to replace Craig Gardner if the obviously factual deal for Sigurdsson falls through.

Wilbur

Banned

I can't believe that Hoffenheim were willing to let him go to Swansea on loan. Hes a very good attacking midfielder and could easily do well at a bigger club.

Liverpool would benefit from signing him most out of the bigger clubs I think.

Kyoufu

Whoever gets him will be lucky to have him.

He tore up everything at every club he has been in and I think he's only 20 years old or something like that...

Would love to have him at Newcastle. We need to improve the squad because it's a pile of shit right now.

Though I agree with Wilbury, Liverpool would benefit more.

elsk

Banned

He went on loan because the former Hoffenheim coach was a disgrace. All the players wanted to leave.

I doubt they're selling their players right now, their new coach Babbel is pretty good and they already signed Tim Wiese (Bremen GK), Delpierre, and gave Salihovic a new contract for next season. I'm guessing they're aiming for a EL spot next season.

I believe Babbel "welcomed him" (Gylfi) back.

TrueBlue

Huh. In around 24 hours time I'll either be on top of the world or in the foetal position in the corner of the room. Should I really be that nervous for Chelsea considering there's no pressure on us?

He went on loan because the former Hoffenheim coach was a disgrace. All the players wanted to leave.

I doubt they're selling their players right now, their new coach Babbel is pretty good and they already signed Tom Weise (Bremen GK), Delpierre, and gave Salihovic a new contract for next season. I'm guessing they're aiming for a EL spot next season.

Is Tom Weise the brother of Ramon Wiedenfeller?

elsk

Banned
Is Tom Weise the brother of Ramon Wiedenfeller?

Haha, I can't believe I wrote that. Sorry.
Tim Wiese. He's an asshole anyway.

Bremen is really going down. Wiese, Merte, Pizarro out, and I'm guessing Marin is going to leave too. That could be the scenario for Dortmund in a few years too :p

Feorax

Liverpool would benefit from signing him most out of the bigger clubs I think.

Is he more of a winger or a central player in the midfield?

He sounds like the ideal long term replacement for Gerrard from what I've read. Gerrard has always been our best "number 10" player, but gets played so rarely in that position these days. It would be fantastic to have a young player filling in that role so we don't have to rely on him so much anymore.

EDIT: This is how I think we should be looking in the Summer. We have plenty of squad players, it's the first XI that needs improving.

NylHE.jpg

Could well be a decent team.

defel

Huh. In around 24 hours time I'll either be on top of the world or in the foetal position in the corner of the room. Should I really be that nervous for Chelsea considering there's no pressure on us?

Ye I was going to say, its Win-win for Chelsea. ALL the pressure and expectations are on Barca. You may as well just enjoy it

Meier

£10m has been thrown around which would be a steal.

That number is being tossed around in the press but it seems far too cheap given how well he's played and the fact that he apparently sold for somewhere over £6.5 million to Hoffenheim originally. It seems like it's safe to say that his value has increased at least £3.5 since then.

Messi

New avatar for the biggest 90 mins of the season. Come on Barca you can do this.

Not sure if this was posted:

“For the sake of the game and for football in general, I hope Barcelona win in the Nou Camp. I love teams who attack. Chelsea did nothing but defend with nine players and kept lots of players in the middle of the park. But this tie could have been over by now. I expected Chelsea to lose by a big figure. And it could still have been 5-1 to Barca at the end. Chelsea had just one shot at goal – and they scored.”

– Retired United keeper Edwin Van der Sar, quoted in the Daily Mail

<3 Van Der Sar, legend.

Omikron

Of course not - it's the West Ham way to raise the fans hopes in the face of seemingly impossible odds, only to fall short at the final obstacle. Fortune's always hiding, etc.
Only have to hope the already relegated coventry beat Southampton...

Coyi etc etc

rodvik

Nervous for the Bolton game. I hate to say it but it could the the game that keeps us up or down. Hold me Awesome Animals. I am scared.

lol Wiese. Why he didn't go to Spurs (or Schalke for that matter) is beyond me..

It's funny beacuse Sevilla's (those fans are from Sevilla F.C) president was comdemned because of fraud and the team itself recieved more than &#8364;100M of players transfers to Real Madrid and Barça in the last years. They should ask were the fuck is all that money.

Also Real Madrid is the club with some of the most healthy economics in Spain and they along with Barça acorded to left any increment from TV payments to smaller teams, that is, Madrid and Barça would not receive more money than this year.

Most smaller teams fucked up their management, part of the problem itself comes from those teams presidents, you know how abysmal are ratings from teams other than Real Madrid and Barça? Is not those teams fault that smaller teams dosn't attract the attention.

So the situation is far from being right, but the problem itself is not as easy as point to Barça and Madrid and say they are the bad guys here.

I also heard that about Real, but I'm not sure it's true. They made net profits for a while (compared to Barca), but it seems like they're still heavily leveraged:
Big debts lie behind Spanish football glory

Real Madrid lead Barcelona by four points at the top of La Liga, but the two global superstars also rival each other in the depth of their debts -- Real have accumulated 589 million euros ($772 million) to Barcelona's 578 million euros.
The archrivals' debts eclipse their revenues, which for 2010-2011 amounted to 479 million euros for Real Madrid and 450 million euros for Barcelona.
Europa League semi-finals Valencia and Atletico Madrid are also both awash with red ink, to the tune of 382 and 514 million euros respectively.
But the latest figure to hit the headlines in Spain is the 752 million euros that Spain's elite clubs owe to the tax man at a time when more than five million are unemployed and the government is asking citizens for more sacrifices.
I gladly believe the management fuck-ups at smaller teams, but the lack of a reasonable, steady stream of TV money (like in every other league out there!) is not helping either. Yes, small teams' rating in Germany also pale in comparison to Bayern and I'm sure it's not much different in the EPL and Italy, but a large proportion of the tv marketing pool is still being split among all teams. And those 40 goal records are almost as laughable as that 1000 goals Pele record..

It's not much better in Italy either: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29032012/58/serie-italian-club-debt-23-cent.html

I am really excited for tomorrow. I know we will more than likely lose so I won't be that disappointed if we do but knowing we have a chance at another Champions League final gets me really excited!

Keio

For a Finer World
<3 Van Der Sar, legend.
He nailed it. In 23 hrs I will have joined you in the pits of despair or I'm celebrating a season where Barcelona can still add 2 more trophies to the 2 already in the case.

My Nightmare: Chelsea win CL, while Newcastle finish 4th and only get Europa League. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Messi

He nailed it. In 23 hrs I will have joined you in the pits of despair or I'm celebrating a season where Barcelona can still add 2 more trophies to the 2 already in the case.

I will already be drunk off my ass, due to alcohol/massive nerves. See you all on the other side.

Nervous for the Bolton game. I hate to say it but it could the the game that keeps us up or down. Hold me Awesome Animals. I am scared.
I can't. Not without being held myself. I'm so confused on what to think. I don't think we will be relegated but I do NOT want McLeish back for a second season. Hold me :(

On the positive, I'm really enjoying seeing our youngster play together. A good seasoned vet in midfield, a pair of fullbacks and a center back coming in over the summer and I think we could be in a good situation next season with a manager who doesn't play negative football. It's all big conjecture which is the problem.

rodvik

I can't. Not without being held myself. I'm so confused on what to think. I don't think we will be relegated but I do NOT want McLeish back for a second season. Hold me :(

On the positive, I'm really enjoying seeing our youngster play together. A good seasoned vet in midfield, a pair of fullbacks and a center back coming in over the summer and I think we could be in a good situation next season with a manager who doesn't play negative football. It's all big conjecture which is the problem.

I think we will get relegated if we lose tomorrow. I dont understand why McLeish is still here. I am confused. Sob.

Agreed on the positives. IF we can hold on this season, a clearing out would be good. I love Weimann. I think he can do very well for us. Still not sure we will hold on....

Sloosha

I am really excited for tomorrow. I know we will more than likely lose so I won't be that disappointed if we do but knowing we have a chance at another Champions League final gets me really excited!

Pretty much the same attitude I'm taking with the game: Happy if we win, but meh if we don't.
Will be thrust into the deepest, darkest despair if we lose

Just hope we don't further sully the fine institution of football with our overly negative play. ;)

Top Bottom