• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

TrueBlue

It'd be a godamn travesty if Newcastle don't reach the CL if we actually win the competition. I mean, I won't lose any sleep over it, but they deserve it more than us or Spurs considering their recent league form.

FootballFan

I am really excited for tomorrow. I know we will more than likely lose

I disagree.

Small chance we will get past Chelsea. I can even see Chelsea winning.

I know we are missing players, still Pep shouldn't go to a 3-4-3 against the big teams either way, they will punish you with just 1 chance(as Madrid and Chelsea have). Go back to 4-3-3 and we might stand a chance. So I personally am not that excited. Hope it's entertaining either way. Good luck.

At this rate I am not sure if we will get even the Copa Del Rey vs Bilbao in the final.

edit
And criticizing Chelseas defensive play is stupid, any team and every team that plays attacking football against Barca will have a 1/100 chance of winning.

Chelsea playing defensive is the only way to win, so why shouldn't they do it, as boring as it is. It worked for Madrid, Chelsea and Inter, but how many times has playing attacking football worked against us?

Even Arsenal were playing counter-attack football when they beat us. Fact is, if Xavi, Iniesta and Messi get space they will exploit it. So why give them that space.

Dibbz

Huh. In around 24 hours time I'll either be on top of the world or in the foetal position in the corner of the room. Should I really be that nervous for Chelsea considering there's no pressure on us?

Sure if you don't mind no CL football for a while there is no pressure.

Pretty much the same attitude I'm taking with the game: Happy if we win, but meh if we don't.
Will be thrust into the deepest, darkest despair if we lose

Just hope we don't further sully the fine institution of football with our overly negative play. ;)

I don't care how we win if we do win :D

Also can't wait for the UEFA DLC tomorrow! Have my points ready and is going to be my only way of seeing England win a major tournament :)

GorillaJu

Sigurdsson to Liverpool makes far too much sense to actually happen. Young, adapts quickly, talented shot, great movement, and available at a good price. Exactly what we need.

No way in hell this actually happens.

RaGe_pt

Our president just did an awesome interview where he was talking about his last 30 years in the club. Told a lot of funny and curious facts that we didn't know about. One of those was that Arsene Wenger had a deal with us but Monaco asked for money we couldn't pay in that time so he ended up going to Arsenal. One fun fact that I didn't know about.

IceCold

Our president just did an awesome interview where he was talking about his last 30 years in the club. Told a lot of funny and curious facts that we didn't know about. One of those was that Arsene Wenger had a deal with us but Monaco asked for money we couldn't pay in that time so he ended up going to Arsenal. One fun fact that I didn't know about.

I hope he talked about all the prostitutes he gave to the refs too. I bet he has some pretty funny stories about that.

Clegg

Remember when SAF went to that Lille match a while ago?

Well he was interviewed by a French radio station and he confirmed that he went to the game to watch Eden Hazard and a few other players.

RaGe_pt

I hope he talked about all the prostitutes he gave to the refs too. I bet he has some pretty funny stories about that.

Cry me another river ;). Someone is mad that we have so much success. Another thing he said, and it's clearly true, is that we are studied and recognized outside of our country. Here, in this shithole of a country we are, the success of the others only generates hate... So keep crying and watch us win another league =)
PS: Oh and about the prostitutes, there's one scottish referee that talked about that when he came to Lisbon two times. He was offered prostitutes from Sporting and Benfica ;)

I love this, even Van Der Sar joining in on the whole "true football" debate. I hope Chelsea wins tomorrow without ever being over the middle and I hope all the true football shit talkers will cry salty tears. If Chelsea won't go through I hope Bayern or Real does the exact same as Chelsea did at home and wins by being defensive Inter-Mourinhoesque.

GorillaJu

Remember when SAF went to that Lille match a while ago?

Well he was interviewed by a French radio station and he confirmed that he went to the game to watch Eden Hazard and a few other players.

I saw that. Maybe he wants to play him in a number 10 role. Obviously United isn't really hurting for wingers right now...

FootballFan

I love this, even Van Der Sar joining in on the whole "true football" debate. I hope Chelsea wins tomorrow without ever being over the middle and I hope all the true football shit talkers will cry salty tears. If Chelsea won't go through I hope Bayern or Real does the exact same as Chelsea did at home and wins by being defensive Inter-Mourinhoesque.

You must really hate Barca :lol

Clegg

I saw that. Maybe he wants to play him in a number 10 role. Obviously United isn't really hurting for wingers right now...

Agreed. I can't see Hazard playing on the wing as it would freeze out Nani or Valencia. They are too good to be sat on the bench.

If Hazard were to sign for United then we'd probably see Nani on the left, Valencia on the right, Hazard in the middle and Rooney up front. Pure sex.

Of course it still doesn't address the problems United have in midfield and at full-back. I doubt we actually will sign him though. I think he's Madrid or City bound.

You must really hate Barca :lol

That's correct. But probably transfer a lot of the hate from people circle jerking while watching Barca play it around their midfield for 90 min to the club itself. Everyone loves Barca, it's clean and it's fantastic football, it bores the shit out of me and I dislike half of the people on the team. But yeah, the whole reputation about them playing "real football" is what pisses me off the most, real football is about winning, no matter if it comes from fighting like crazy people for the whole match or playing nice passing football, seeing them win every year by doing that bores me, would be nice to see something as basic as what Chelsea did in the first match beat that and shut up all the people who gets a hard on as soon as they see the Unicef logo. Oh man, how much I would love to see them shut up for once, especially all the ones who actually knows nothing about football but just support Barca as they are the good guys.

It comes with being the best. Why do you think we hate Man United?

Certainly explains your angry posts about Chelsea. ;)

Kyoufu

Certainly explains your angry posts about Chelsea. ;)

Racism, getting your manager fired, Drogba acting and competing against us for a CL spot. Think I got all the reasons to express my hate.

Though I'm sure Chelsea wishes I hated them for being the best. LOL, maybe next season.

FootballFan

It comes with being the best. Why do you think we hate Man United?

But Barca isn't the best, Madrid is. 7 point lead. Beat Barca in Nou Camp and will most likely win the CL. Plus they have the best coach of all time Mourinho. Maybe the hate will come into effect next season though.

Anyways, I wasn't saying anything with that comment to Wooden, twas a joke.

edit
That's correct. But probably transfer a lot of the hate from people circle jerking while watching Barca play it around their midfield for 90 min to the club itself. Everyone loves Barca, it's clean and it's fantastic football, it bores the shit out of me and I dislike half of the people on the team. But yeah, the whole reputation about them playing "real football" is what pisses me off the most, real football is about winning, no matter if it comes from fighting like crazy people for the whole match or playing nice passing football, seeing them win every year by doing that bores me, would be nice to see something as basic as what Chelsea did in the first match beat that and shut up all the people who gets a hard on as soon as they see the Unicef logo. Oh man, how much I would love to see them shut up for once, especially all the ones who actually knows nothing about football but just support Barca as they are the good guys.

Ok I agree with most of what you said, but everyone loves Barca? :lol Read this thread when Ronaldo scored the winner in the last clasico or when Drogba scored. Inter and Man City(maybe) seem to be the only teams hated more.

Also read my post higher up on this page about the "real football" and "defensive play" thing.

edit edit

:lol

wtf and hilarious at the same time.

Kyoufu

But Barca isn't the best, Madrid is. 7 point lead. Beat Barca in Nou Camp and will most likely win the CL. Plus they have the best coach of all time Mourinho. Maybe the hate will come into effect next season though.

Anyways, I wasn't saying anything with that comment to Wooden, twas a joke.

I think it'll take more than just a La Liga win to claim you're the best...

If they win CL though then I won't argue against it. :)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Rangers have just been hit with a 12-month transfer embargo by the SFA. The majority of their players have clauses stating that transfer fees of a certain (pretty low) level will automatically be accepted in the summer as a result of the administration wage cuts.

Real chance they'll be playing with effectively their youth squad next season. It's all getting a bit farcical.

Moobabe

Racism, getting your manager fired, Drogba acting and competing against us for a CL spot. Think I got all the reasons to express my hate.

Though I'm sure Chelsea wishes I hated them for being the best. LOL, maybe next season.

You're a Newcastle fan and your criticising US for our treatment of managers? I'm not defending our record but that's pretty rich.

Drogba and Terry being cunts I understand, especially Terrry.

Manager fired I however don't, maybe it comes from supporting Palermo who likes to change manager once every 60 day, but firing AVB seemed like the only good decision that could be made. Of course some of the players probably were the core of the problem, but something had to be done to try and save the season and AVB quite clearly didn't know what to do with all these super stars (or at least people thinking they are superstars).

So there's nothing to yet again try and clean up for the next season, get the prima donnas out and get a long term solution in place as a manager, sad to see it couldn't be AVB but it wasn't meant to be.

Ok I agree with most of what you said, but everyone loves Barca? :lol Read this thread when Ronaldo scored the winner in the last clasico or when Drogba scored. Inter and Man City(maybe) seem to be the only teams hated more.

Yeah probably isn't true for this thread. But talking to people who don't spend as much time on a football thread as we do, like casual football viewers... Oh man, 95% loves Barca.

Lightning

Banned
So if reports are correct then Podolski has been signed and will be a Arsenal player next season. Not a bad signing to compliment the greatness of RVP. Can't wait for the official announcement.

Kyoufu

You're a Newcastle fan and your criticising US for our treatment of managers? I'm not defending our record but that's pretty rich.

Yes we all know Mike Ashley is a cunt. Can't hate Newcastle though because we have likeable players, not prima donna cunts.

Yeah what now? WHAT NOW?!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
If AVB couldn't remove the 'real managers of Chelsea' then what's to say any new manager can? Old pal Di Matteo certainly won't be the one to do it.

Yes we all know Mike Ashley is a cunt. Can't hate Newcastle though because we have likeable players, not prima donna cunts.

Well it certainly was easier when you had Barton. Now I nothing Newcastle, I just like watching you suffer so I laugh when you lose. ;)

If AVB couldn't remove the 'real managers of Chelsea' then what's to say any new manager can? Old pal Di Matteo certainly won't be the one to do it.

Oh I don't believe Di Matteo can do that, at all, appreciate what he has done now though. Someone like Mourinho definitely could, it's a dream that I doubt will come true but... Damn, if anyone could sort out this team...

elsk

Banned
I just watched the 2009 match Chelsea-Barcelona. Man, the referee was obviously biased but Chelsea wasted so many chances... Barcelona was awfully bad.

Wilbur

Banned

Me too. Fuck true football. People that think the Barca way is the only way fuck me off. Sorry Edwin but shut up, you were part of the team that did it to Barca a few years ago

Moobabe

Danny 'leg breaker' Guthrie? You've got a couple - but on the whole your side is pretty likeable though. Cabaye to Chelsea in the summer?

rvy

Banned
there's one scottish referee that talked about that when he came to Lisbon two times. He was offered prostitutes from Sporting and Benfica ;)

lol, please. If you're talking about Howard King, who is actually Welsh (just goes to show how much you know about what you're writing), the least you can do is know what you're writing about before posting bullshit.
Both FIFA and UEFA investigated the allegations that he made to a tabloid (NOTW), which earned him a bunch of money from the tabloid and got him banned after retiring from refereeing, and both concluded that he made the story up to earn money.

So, please, stop with the bullshit. Amazing how you people love to throw this nonsense out there, hoping it sticks, but never bother to check your facts before. It's hilarious.
You have a long history of bribing referees with prostitutes. Deal with it. It's on YouTube for everyone to see. Don't lie to people and accuse others of doing the same as an excuse.

Wilbur

Banned
And fuck yeah Deadwood! Just watched the fifth episode, started slow but since then cum everywhere. Old West has to be the coolest history of period ever

I laughed

Rangers have just been hit with a 12-month transfer embargo by the SFA. The majority of their players have clauses stating that transfer fees of a certain (pretty low) level will automatically be accepted in the summer as a result of the administration wage cuts.

Real chance they'll be playing with effectively their youth squad next season. It's all getting a bit farcical.

What an embarrassment. Scottish football is in an awful state. Need Fergie to go back there with Aberdeen and shake things up. Do Rangers have any really good players that PL teams will pick up on?

And fuck Barca. Sorry guys, it's more the majority of fan base, media fawning and a lot of the players than the club itself. I love Pep as well, but there's just too much I dislike. I support United though, I know what the hate's like, and so do supporters of Madrid, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Bayern...

ALSO Portuguese hooker beef is making me laugh

Wilbur

Banned
My favorite show. The dialogue is unrivaled.

Swearengen and EB are such great characters.

EB's so weird haha. I like Sol so far as well, but Al is the boss.

I love watching things for the first time. Planning to rewatch the Wire after Deadwood though, so spermworthy it's unreal.

A fairly large part of my family is Scottish and they all support Celtic, it's rather hilarious to see the grin on their faces when I mention Rangers and their current state to them. They don't even care about how bad it will probably be for the league, but well guess the Scottish league is a lost cause at this point anyway.

lol, please. If you're talking about Howard King, who is actually Welsh (just goes to show how much you know about what you're writing), the least you can do is know what you're writing about before posting bullshit.
Both FIFA and UEFA investigated the allegations that he made to a tabloid (NOTW), which earned him a bunch of money from the tabloid and got him banned after retiring from refereeing, and both concluded that he made the story up to earn money.

So, please, stop with the bullshit. Amazing how you people love to throw this nonsense out there, hoping it sticks, but never bother to check your facts before. It's hilarious.
You have a long history of bribing referees with prostitutes. Deal with it. It's on YouTube for everyone to see. Don't lie to people and accuse others of doing the same as an excuse.

You mean just like that ref that is now a host on Benfica TV? Or the hooker that got protection from SLB, wrote a book about lies and went to jail for it? Or that tape we know it exists but somehow it didn't go to youtube like all the others (funny how selective they were).

I want Barca to retain the European Cup this year. No other side in its history has done so but there hasn't been another side like Barcelona. I want them to get that extra bit of recognition.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
What an embarrassment. Scottish football is in an awful state. Need Fergie to go back there with Aberdeen and shake things up. Do Rangers have any really good players that PL teams will pick up on?
Their captain Steven Davis would be a brilliant pick up for anyone, consistently in the running for POTY. Think McLeish tried to sign him for both Birmingham and Villa :lol McGregor is a class keeper too, personally I think he's their best player, but apparently PL managers don't rate him purely because of his height (need to be 6 feet + to be a PL goalkeeper these days).

Other than that the rest of the squad would make good pick ups on the cheap for a top Championship or bottom PL side.

The charge that was brought upon them to cause this has to be the most scathing thing I've ever read:

The Tribunal found Rangers FC guilty in respect of Rule 66 and imposed the maximum fine of £100,000 payable within 12 months. In addition, the Tribunal imposed a prohibition in terms of Article 94.1 and 95 of the Articles of Association, prohibiting Rangers FC for a period of 12 months from the date of determination from seeking registration with the Scottish FA of any player not currently with the club, excluding any player under the age of 18 years.

Rule 66: No recognised football body, club, official, Team Official or other member of Team Staff, player, referee, or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall bring the game into disrepute.

A fairly large part of my family is Scottish and they all support Celtic, it's rather hilarious to see the grin on their faces when I mention Rangers and their current state to them. They don't even care about how bad it will probably be for the league, but well guess the Scottish league is a lost cause at this point anyway.
Honestly, despite the damage it'll probably do to Celtic, I really enjoy watching other sides in Scotland get a chance to challenge. Motherwell or Dundee United's Champions League qualifier next season will be such a spectacle for them, and their fans deserve every minute of it.

Scum

I want Barca to retain the European Cup this year. No other side in its history has done so but there hasn't been another side like Barcelona. I want them to get that extra bit of recognition.

I'd like to see them do it, but I just get this feeling that Chelsea are going through to the Final.

Top Bottom