• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Such is life. One goes away, another one comes back. On wednesday. You know who, right?

http://www.ecodellosport.it/img/vincenzo-iaquinta.jpg[IMG]

Don't even think about it, Vincenzo.[/QUOTE]

You know what this means right?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CoqRD.jpg

iAYfQjwBg6aEH.jpg

And then we'll allow him to milk his contract till the end :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know, Olympic football lol but:
Brazil, Spain, Britain and Mexico have been chosen as the seeded teams for the men's Olympic football tournament and will be kept apart when the draw for the group stage is made on Tuesday.

The draw will separate the European teams and the countries from Latin America. Britain, which will have a men's team at the Olympics for the first time since 1960, will head up Group A. World champion Spain will headline Group D, while Brazil — the all-time top Olympic performers in men's football — will be the seeded team in Group C.
I'm pleasantly surprised. Now it's imperative for us to win the group so that we don't face the UK.
He might not have been the player he is now without leaving.
Ultimately what-ifs, but at least we can agree he would have had much more success staying at Barça.

Az

Weird how Newcastle has been off my radar all season and slowly has snuck up on 4th spot. Don't think I've watched a single game of theirs all season, need to pay more attention.

Clegg

So how will United approach the City game? Its fairly obvious that 4-4-2 won't work as we'll be overrun in midfield. But 4-3-3 isn't a formation that works particularly well for us either. We retain possession better but lose a lot of cutting edge up front.

We need a formation that will allow us to at least compete in midfield. A 4-5-1 maybe?

That might not necessarily work either.

Wilbur

Banned
So how will United approach the City game? Its fairly obvious that 4-4-2 won't work as we'll be overrun in midfield. But 4-3-3 isn't a formation that works particularly well for us either. We retain possession better but lose a lot of cutting edge up front.

We need a formation that will allow us to at least compete in midfield. A 4-5-1 maybe?

That might not necessarily work either.

3-1-6, beat them 14-1. Sorted.

Salvadora

City will bottle it I'm thinking, Although if United have a defensive display like yesterday who knows what the scoreline could be.

Ugh, Leicester deservedly ahead - nice cross for Beckford to head it past Green, bad defending on our part and disappointing, considering that we've had the majority of the possession and chances so far. Come on you Irons, sort it out.

pappe

i wanna see

-----------DDG------------
Smalling - Ferdi - Evans - Evra
----------Carrick--Scholes---------
Valencia -- Cleverley --------Nani
---------------Rooney--------

That's not necessarily true, He had great opportunities at Arsenal.

He did develop significantly while at Arsenal, the 16 year old that arrived at Highbury is far different from the current player, and I think playing in England from a young age gave him an edge in terms of endurance and physical play which helps him now he's at Barca; most Barca players never have had to play against Stoke on a rainy afternoon in mid-February.

I don't begrudge I'm leaving for a second. For all the reasons to leave a club, to simply return home is one there is little for fans to moan about, and I think he left at the latest he could feasibly do without pulling the club into disrepute; having a captain who wants to play for another club isn't a desirable scenario.

WJD

Fucking hell, the Holland away kit is £55. That's extortionate even with a fresh student loan sitting in my bank.

Salvadora

He did develop significantly while at Arsenal, the 16 year old that arrived at Highbury is far different from the current player, and I think playing in England from a young age gave him an edge in terms of endurance and physical play which helps him now he's at Barca; most Barca players never have had to play against Stoke on a rainy afternoon in mid-February.

I don't begrudge I'm leaving for a second. For all the reasons to leave a club, to simply return home is one there is little for fans to moan about, and I think he left at the latest he could feasibly do without pulling the club into disrepute; having a captain who wants to play for another club isn't a desirable scenario.

I think the way Barcelona acted over the transfer was disgraceful but I have nothing but respect for Cesc.

dc89

What happens when he gets bored of having a football team?

Well considering all the sponsorship deals we're signing are long term he's not going anywhere in the near future.

Pretty sure Etihad shirt deal is a long one and the stadium naming rights are 10 years if I recall correctly. The shirt deal may equally be as long.

Salvadora

A fun, and good, business opportunity?
At least Chelsea is doing decently, but all the Man City sponsors are companies related to the mancity Sheikh.

Why wouldn't they be? It's one big family. Manchester City is nowhere near any of the other big teams in England yet and won't be for some time.

*ugh* soccer triads *ugh*

I'm still waiting for my kits and I ordered them in |OT|8. My only problem is I have no way to track them. The tracking number is bunk.

EDIT: lol, it isn't a tracking number, just a Google Order number. Here is Soccer Triads' shipping policy:

Socer Triads said:
SoccerTriads Delivery:
Please note shipping takes around 10 days from dispatch date. On rare occasions delivery can take up to 28 days. If you require a tracking number they are available 15 days after date of dispatch.

My order shipped 9 days ago, which means I should be expecting it tomorrow, and if not I should be able to request a tracking number in six days.

I think Thiago Alcántara is going to be better than Cesc. I'm not doubting Cesc quality but it was a stupid buy... Barcelona needed a new CB and a new full back.

The problem with Cesc, IMO, is that he dosn't really fits the actual playstyle of Barça, Thiago is way more closer to Xavi in terms of ball conducting and passing than cesc and even so he's still far away..

Cesc was brought as Xavi replacement but there's no replacement for Xavi, he's quite an unique player.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm still waiting for my kits and I ordered them in |OT|8. My only problem is I have no way to track them. The tracking number is bunk.

EDIT: lol, it isn't a tracking number, just a Google Order number. Here is Soccer Triads' shipping policy:

My order shipped 9 days ago, which means I should be expecting it tomorrow, and if not I should be able to request a tracking number in six days.

I ordered mine on the 12th, so hopefully it comes soonish

Clegg

Aren't half of Citys long term sponsors coming from companies owned by Mansour?

Hes basically covering their massive losses by pouring more of his own money in.

FuturusX

Just finishing watching the UTD game.

it has to be said, Rooney and Wellbeck looked absolutely devastating as a striker pairing. That should have been the focus of the after match discussion...but then again when you lose a 4-2 lead in the space of 7 mins...

What does UTD GAF think of Wellbeck and Rooney, are they the preferred pairing?

elsk

Banned

Good luck: http://blog.leonardchallis.com/web-sites/dont-buy-from-soccertriads-com/

dc89

Aren't half of Citys long term sponsors coming from companies owned by Mansour?

Hes basically covering their massive losses by pouring more of his own money in.

...yes. I'm pretty sure the Sheikh can pay someone at UEFA to forget to look at City's accounts for FFP. Well, I hope he can.

Just finishing watching the UTD game.

it has to be said, Rooney and Wellbeck looked absolutely devastating as a striker pairing. That should have been the focus of the after match discussion...but then again when you lose a 4-2 lead in the space of 7 mins...

What does UTD GAF think of Wellbeck and Rooney, are they the preferred pairing?

Absolutely. Welbeck's not going to be in consistent goalscoring form for a while. He's just too young but he has the potential and we should give him the game time to develop. He links in a way none of our other striking options can and he can hold the ball up.

Top Bottom