• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Wilbur

Banned
I want Barca to retain the European Cup this year. No other side in its history has done so but there hasn't been another side like Barcelona. I want them to get that extra bit of recognition.

Only Arsenal fans like Barca haha

EDIT: And Spurs fans hating on Chelsea obviously!! For what it's worth I would hate to see Chelsea win the CL and would rather Barca, but I've always thought Chelsea have the goods to stop Barca and will come up short against the other two

RaGe_pt

lol, please. If you're talking about Howard King, who is actually Welsh (just goes to show how much you know about what you're writing), the least you can do is know what you're writing about before posting bullshit.
Both FIFA and UEFA investigated the allegations that he made to a tabloid (NOTW), which earned him a bunch of money from the tabloid and got him banned after retiring from refereeing, and both concluded that he made the story up to earn money.

So, please, stop with the bullshit. Amazing how you people love to throw this nonsense out there, hoping it sticks, but never bother to check your facts before. It's hilarious.
You have a long history of bribing referees with prostitutes. Deal with it. It's on YouTube for everyone to see. Don't lie to people and accuse others of doing the same as an excuse.

I read the newspaper, didn't know about the investigations fifa or uefa made. If what you're saying is true, than be it. Oh and I deal with it, we were investigated and declared innocent three times in the same processes so "stop with the bullshit. Amazing how you people love to throw this nonsense out there, hoping it sticks...". But of course our sucess happens to be because we buy the refs and we only win because the refs want us to win and all that crap [/sarcasm].
Oh and if you're talking about that, you surely remember Calabote, that great ref that was the only one banned in the portuguese history because of favors to one club dressed in red shirts...

Moobabe

I'll hang myself.

Though I think you'll go for Tiote.

I'm not sure - we have Mikel and Romeu who can play there (and can hopefully learn and become more consistent.) What we need is an attacking midfielder! OK - we'll leave both - can we have Ben Arfa?

rvy

Banned
I read the newspaper, didn't know about the investigations fifa or uefa made. If what you're saying is true, than be it. Oh and I deal with it, we were investigated and declared innocent three times in the same processes so "stop with the bullshit. Amazing how you people love to throw this nonsense out there, hoping it sticks...". But of course our sucess happens to be because we buy the refs and we only win because the refs want us to win and all that crap [/sarcasm].

No, you succeed because you're competent and have the best football structure in the country. Porto is engineered to win. It's not a coincidence that Porto has won so many titles in Europe.
The fact that you used to bribe refs just made it easier to win much more, but you would have won regardless.

No, you succeed because you're competent and have the best football structure in the country. Porto is engineered to win. It's not a coincidence that Porto has won so many titles in Europe.
The fact that you used to bribe refs just made it easier to win much more, but you would have won regardless.

Are you really that delusional (or in denial, since you even removed part of that quote) that you believe Porto was the only one bribing refs in this shit hole that is the PT league?

RaGe_pt

No, you succeed because you're competent and have the best football structure in the country. Porto is engineered to win. It's not a coincidence that Porto has won so much titles in Europe.

You were going so well before you made everything wrong with that last sentence. But I hope benfica fans keep giving the excuse that we buy refs, because that will only mean that we keep winning like we have been winning for the last 30 years. At least you are one of the few benfica fans that can actually recognize that we have the best structure and win because we are better than everyone else in Portugal.

I like some of Barca's players and Guardiola is a respectable man, but this whole 'mes que un club' thing annoys me :lol

Their football is mesmerising though, I'll give them that.

Wilbur

Banned
We got Kevin De Bruyne coming in. HE WILL FIX EVERYTHING. Dzagoev or Hazard could be very interesting too for a creative central midfielder role though, Dzagoev being not only Russian but also a Chelsea fans... Seems like something that just needs to happen, been rumored more than a few times too.

Chelsea need to swap Torres for Falcao + 15m

elsk

Banned
Man, I watched the LvG Barcelona vs. Chelsea match it ended 5-1... what a team! It surprised me the good defense line they showed, LvG knows how to defend!?!?

Sloosha

De Bruyne is a Liverpool fan though :(

Torres for Carroll. +30m

We have Piazon too, as far as attacking midfielders/forwards go... And we all now how much we like to promote from our youth teams.

rvy

Banned
Are you really that delusional/in denial that you believe Porto was the only one bribing refs?

Until someone shows me otherwise, I have no reason not to believe that. And that one phonecall of our incompetent, dipshit president picking a referee doesn't mean anything.
AFAIK, Valentim called him asking what ref would be better for the match and he kept arguing that the possible referees where all under Porto's influence. Thats it.

But I could say the same to you, are you that delusional/in denial that you believe that everyone else was also bribing referees?

In any case, until he steps down, hopefully this year, we won't know anything for sure.

Until someone shows me otherwise, I have no reason not to believe that. And that one phonecall of our incompetent, dipshit president picking a referee doesn't mean anything. AFAIK, Valentim called him asking what ref would be better for the match and he kept arguing that the possible referees where all under Porto's influence. That«s it.

But I could say the same to you, are you that delusional/in denial that you believe that everyone else was also bribing referees?

In any case, until he steps down, hopefully this year, we won't know anything for sure.

Which is exactly what also happened with PC phone calls that ended up on youtube. But I guess say "no no no no no no yes" is sooooo much better then just pointing out a name lol.

Not everyone, but most. Just look at what's happening now with Sporting. Just look at what happened with the time travelling/Benfica TV host ref. Portuguese league,... hell I'll just say Portugal as a whole, is a corrupt mess.

Anyway the only thing I care about are how the games are played on the field, and I have no trouble saying that Benfica have been playing the better football this season, had they continuously played like they did for the CL games they wouldn't be behind, but somehow Jesus always manages to fuck up in the ending games of the league. Just like I have no trouble saying we deserved 90% of our conquests in the past 25 years.

Moobabe

De Bruyne is a Liverpool fan though :(

Torres for Carroll. +30m

We have Piazon too, as far as attacking midfielders/forwards go... And we all now how much we like to promote from our youth teams.

Bertrand has been a fantastic asset to the team; but I see your point - I wish we'd promote a few more.

Kyoufu

I would become a Chelsea supporter if they got Cavani next season.

I just hope he doesn't turn to shit like Torres did.

Sloosha

Bertrand has been a fantastic asset to the team; but I see your point - I wish we'd promote a few more.

Yep, Betrand and been a pleasant surprise. Wonder what the future holds for McEachran though, since he hasn't exactly had the best loan spell at Swansea.

Also Kakuta has been playing good at Dijon. Might be a decent back-up for Mata.

MPW

pepguardiolapresser20120423_576x324.jpg

he looks old :O

Lightning

Banned
I want Barca to retain the European Cup this year. No other side in its history has done so but there hasn't been another side like Barcelona. I want them to get that extra bit of recognition.
I agree. I want this as well as we get more money if Barcelona win the CL because of the sale of Cesc Fabregas so it's in Arsenal's best interests that Barcelona clean Chelsea up at the Nou Camp.

Besides, Barcelona will score I am certain of it. The question is can the stop chelsea from scoring because they will need to. Barca's defence looks suspect and makes me nervous.

FootballFan

I agree. I want this as well as we get more money if Barcelona win the CL because of the sale of Cesc Fabregas so it's in Arsenal's best interests that Barcelona clean Chelsea up at the Nou Camp.

Besides, Barcelona will score I am certain of it. The question is can the stop chelsea from scoring because they will need to. Barca's defence looks suspect and makes me nervous.

Good to see you Gooners supporting us :D (for whatever reason)

I can't see us scoring 2 in 90minutes. The best thing that I can see happening is 1-0 at full-time then 2-0 after extra-time. Losing 2 matches in a row(really important ones too) will not have a good effect on the players.

Messi hasn't scored in 2 games, he is off-form. Xavi has looked really casual and ordinary. Same with most the others. At least play well for Abidal guys. :(
People can say what they like about Xavi and Iniesta but fact is Messi is the main man in the squad. He has to have a good game against Chelsea or it is over.

Woah just read that G. Rossi could be out for another 10months.. wtf. From being a target of so many big teams to this. How unfortunate. :(

MPW

lol @ u guys thinking chelsea has a shot of advancing to the finals

i expect barca to win by at least 3 goal margin, prediction 4-1, one chelsea player sent off early

messi ain't gonna have 3 bad games in a row

FootballFan

What an epic match that would be lol

:(

Wow that will a great race for 4th in the premier league.

Newcastle have 4 games left and I am guessing they will lose against Chelsea and City, but win against Everton and Blackburn. 6 points. (68 ovr)

Spurs have 4 games left against Blackburn, Bolton, Villa and Fulham predicting 7 points from those. (66 ovr)

Chelsea have 4 games left too, wins against Newcastle, QPR and Blackburn, draw vs Liverpool, 10 points. (68ovr)

No use predicting, wont turn out like that but interesting to guess. :p

That Manchester Derby is going to be great too. Very good finish to the Premier League this season(even though the teams haven't done that well in Europe)

edit
MPW you really think Barca will beat Chelsea 4-1...?

Fry

Is he more of a winger or a central player in the midfield?

He sounds like the ideal long term replacement for Gerrard from what I've read. Gerrard has always been our best "number 10" player, but gets played so rarely in that position these days. It would be fantastic to have a young player filling in that role so we don't have to rely on him so much anymore.

EDIT: This is how I think we should be looking in the Summer. We have plenty of squad players, it's the first XI that needs improving.

NylHE.jpg

Could well be a decent team.

Looks good, except Henderon as starter. He's not good enough for that yet, I'd rather Shelvey. But a better one than both is needed (Cabaye would be nice)

Salazar

That Manchester Derby is going to be great too.

Same team as against Everton, but withdraw Scholes for Clev when he tires.

Clev, Welbz, Rooney, Nani will link up to threatening effect.

I know Young will feature, though - unfortunately. By "feature", I mean get the ball and hold it up while their midfield drops to fill the space we might have been able to use if he wasn't bitchmade.

Same team as against Everton, but withdraw Scholes for Clev when he tires.

Clev, Welbz, Rooney, Nani will link up to threatening effect.

I know Young will feature, though - unfortunately. By "feature", I mean get the ball and hold it up while their midfield drops to fill the space we might have been able to use if he wasn't bitchmade.
I don't know why you bitch about young. He gets you goals however he can.

Top Bottom