• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Choc

Banned
Referee: Cuneyt Cakir

So one teams fans will be calling him cunt by the end of the night. Lets hope its the uefalona fans

edit: he's never refereed a quarter final let alone a semi in the UCL. Nor the Europa

Oh dear UEFA, what the fuck.

Bayern vs Real : Viktor Kassai

WOW

UEFALONA could be in effect here :p That guy refereed multiple Euro qualifiers (and the other bloke, zero), the FIFA world cup including a semi (the other bloke not yet),

seriously. What UEFA. I'd say out of the two, the stronger referee should be on the Barca game, but nope.

Liverpool-GAF!

Meh. He was kinda good the first three months, then he got injured and never came back. I wonder (if he gets back to Liverpool) who will be his substitute.

Apparently, Berlusconi wants to bring back Capello, but he shouldn't be our next manager. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Choc

Banned
anyone think Di Matteo should be given the job full time?

i'm not sure. I think he has done very very well but i wonder if he can change the team the way it needs, what AVB was supposed to do. He has a very close attachment to the current squad, and i think thats why they are playing so well

but long term, i don't think so. Then again Frank and Didier being tapped by a good mate that its time rather than some 33 year old guy they have never heard of, could actually work and they might accept it more.

confuziz

Banned
You guys act like 4th place is guaranteed CL either way (if Chelsea doesn't win the CL that is). There is still a tough game to be played, especially for Newcastle because they are positioned quite low on the UEFA rankings. This means they will face a tough opponent (the likes of Lille, Malaga, Braga, Gladbach etc.)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Meh. He was kinda good the first three months, then he got injured and never came back. I wonder (if he gets back to Liverpool) who will be his substitute.

Apparently, Berlusconi wants to bring back Capello, but he shouldn't be our next manager. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Montolivo!

Giving Capello a director role is not a bad idea :p

Lightning

Banned
I do because he is a defensive twat and Chelsea will progress nothing under him. So yes, he can have the job.

What has Di Matteo done to deserve this chance seriously? What proof that he has a remote clue which players need brought in? Which ones moved on? Nothing.... Chelsea are riding a massive luck wagon where the referee helped them beat Wigan, they faced a Spurs side who have lost their heads, they lucked out completely against Barcelona who could have scored at least 4 goals. Only the Napoli game gives Di Matteo any credit otherwise watching Chelsea under Di Matteo is about as exciting as watching grass grow...

Choc

Banned
Chelsea would be in a much bigger hole than they are now with AVB still there

i'd wager they would be out of the FA and UCL and would be languishing like Liverpool is

edit: I was also a big fan of Di Matteo at West Brom and was disappointed he got sacked

Lightning

Banned
Chelsea would be in a much bigger hole than they are now with AVB still there

i'd wager they would be out of the FA and UCL and would be languishing like Liverpool is

edit: I was also a big fan of Di Matteo at West Brom and was disappointed he got sacked
Perhaps but only because the old guard at Chelsea knew their days were nunbered under AVB and decided to fuck around on the pitch. This is so blatantly obvious and only at Chelsea would this crap go unpunished. AVB's biggest mistake was he tried to take too many of them on too fast. He needed to get to the summer to ship them out and as a result made selection mistakes that ultimately cost him but I am in no doubt that had he been afforded the time Chelsea would be a premiership contender with a much better squad before long. They are stuck in limbo again now....

Just in case anyone wanted to know the FIFA DLC is up on UK XBL store and people on the EA forums are saying the same about the PS3 version :) downloading now!

Joe

Palermo have confirmed that new director Christian Panucci has left the club after resigning from his post.

The former defender was only brought to the outfit last month and was unveiled to the media on March 20.

Following a disagreement with President Maurizio Zamparini, the ex-Italian international has decided to step down as technical director.

==========

This shit is annoying. I don't know why but this seriously aggravates me.

dc89

i'm not sure. I think he has done very very well but i wonder if he can change the team the way it needs, what AVB was supposed to do. He has a very close attachment to the current squad, and i think thats why they are playing so well

but long term, i don't think so. Then again Frank and Didier being tapped by a good mate that its time rather than some 33 year old guy they have never heard of, could actually work and they might accept it more.

Yup, I'd love him to get the job. His Chelsea side have been good and are quite watchable too. I did like AVB though.

I know, what a joke. I'm not even gonna go there, it's just absurd.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why the fuck did I stay up to watch an Olympic football draw? I should have gone to bed. They are not even doing the men's tournament yet.

Wilbur

Banned
AVB took the job too early. If he had stayed another year at Porto, managed a strong CL campaign and maybe another year unbeaten then he should have moved. I think he'll be a great manager though.

On the subject of Scholes, it does seem pretty ridiculous I guess. But hey, he's had half a great season. So did Silva, so they're equally worth it I'd say.

For what it's worth, I'd probably go:

1. RvP
2. Rooney
3. Coloccini
4. Aguero
5. Dempsey
6. Cabaye
7. Yaya
8. Ba
9. Allen
10. Lescott

Maybe Bale, Krul, Silva, Scholes, Valencia, Sigurdsson, Vorm, Song... They could all be swapped for the bottom 4 or so

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I soured on him a bit after he went in for

a) Dalglish conspiracy garbage
b) The "top teams having B sides" drivel

Not as much of a mug as Rafa, tho.

I couldn't stand him from the start. His manner of speaking was so rambling. Instead of saying 'we were shit' he would say 'our system of attacking intent and defensive solidarity was not of sufficient quality to instigate any chance creation protocols or establish efficient screening in front of our rearguard'. Di Mateo is much more succint.

Wilbur

Banned
I couldn't stand him from the start. His manner of speaking was so rambling. Instead of saying 'we were shit' he would say 'our system of attacking intent and defensive solidarity was not of sufficient quality to instigate any chance creation protocols or establish efficient screening in front of our rearguard'. Di Mateo is much more succint.

Hardly any manager's going to admit they were shit though were they? Wenger and Dalglish play angry old man, Fergie generally gives false praise, Redknapp is astonished Spurs didn't win every game because they played well...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hardly any manager's going to admit they were shit though were they? Wenger and Dalglish play angry old man, Fergie generally gives false praise, Redknapp is astonished Spurs didn't win every game because they played well...

It's the way he said it though. He was a windbag.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Great Britain
Senegal
United Arab Emirates
Uruguay

Mexico
South Korea
Gabon
Switzerland

Brazil
Egypt
Belarus
New Zealand

Spain
Japan
Honduras
Morocco

Son of a bitch, we got the hardest group and we are looking to face Uruguay or the UK in the QFs. :(

Palermo have confirmed that new director Christian Panucci has left the club after resigning from his post.

The former defender was only brought to the outfit last month and was unveiled to the media on March 20.

Following a disagreement with President Maurizio Zamparini, the ex-Italian international has decided to step down as technical director.

==========

This shit is annoying. I don't know why but this seriously aggravates me.

It's amazing that Zamparini can't learn to shut up and stop arguing with everybody. Surely he must realize that he's the crazy one when person after person leaves because of him.

Carbonox

Bollocks haha. Oh well, hope he's good. At this point I'm not going to doubt Pardew's transfer policy!

He's supposed to be a decent attacking midfielder. Plus he's young so there's something to work with. Cabaye will most likely be his teacher.

Hopefully now we can ditch Gosling. Smith will go too so I want a new DM also.

AVB took the job too early. If he had stayed another year at Porto, managed a strong CL campaign and maybe another year unbeaten then he should have moved. I think he'll be a great manager though.

On the subject of Scholes, it does seem pretty ridiculous I guess. But hey, he's had half a great season. So did Silva, so they're equally worth it I'd say.

For what it's worth, I'd probably go:

1. RvP
2. Rooney
3. Coloccini
4. Aguero
5. Dempsey
6. Cabaye
7. Yaya
8. Ba
9. Allen
10. Lescott

Maybe Bale, Krul, Silva, Scholes, Valencia, Sigurdsson, Vorm, Song... They could all be swapped for the bottom 4 or so

Fuck you Yakubu did a two footed overhead kick

Stimpy

You guys act like 4th place is guaranteed CL either way (if Chelsea doesn't win the CL that is). There is still a tough game to be played, especially for Newcastle because they are positioned quite low on the UEFA rankings. This means they will face a tough opponent (the likes of Lille, Malaga, Braga, Gladbach etc.)

It would be pretty funny if they did an Everton and got knocked out before the group stages even started.

Top Bottom