• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

rodvik

Newcastle will finish 3rd this year. It will be a good CL final against them next season.

I can guarantee several Newcastle players will have CL football next year one way or another. Hopefully it will be with Newcastle. Would be nice to see you guys qualify and retain your players.

choodi

Banned
Call me optimistic, but I think that with the team spirit in the Newcastle dressing room, it is going to be difficult for any team to tempt our players to leave, Champions League or not...

Salazar

Call me optimistic, but I think that with the team spirit in the Newcastle dressing room, it is going to be difficult for any team to tempt our players to leave, Champions League or not...

This sounds dangerously like Lightning's RVP chatter.

choodi

Banned

Maybe so, but some of our players could have been playing Champions League already if they had stayed at their old clubs.

Cabaye could have stayed at Lille, instead he chose us, and right now, he us the one I am most concerned about losing.

Cisse has only been with us for a few months and isn't likely to leave and Colo has proven his loyalty. Ben Arfa will be staying too as he is obviously a central figure in Pardew's plans.

Tiote and Ba are the biggest worries for me...

Lightning

Banned
I'm hopeful with RVP. Nothing wrong with that. I really hope we take the steps to keep him but if he goes, unless it's to city, I will wish him all the best. Nothing wrong with being confident that a player can stay at a club.

rodvik

Maybe so, but some of our players could have been playing Champions League already if they had stayed at their old clubs.

Cabaye could have stayed at Lille, instead he chose us, and right now, he us the one I am most concerned about losing.

Cisse has only been with us for a few months and isn't likely to leave and Colo has proven his loyalty. Ben Arfa will be staying too as he is obviously a central figure in Pardew's plans.

Good point,I think Ba is the most likely to leave if you guys dont qualify. He has that 7.5M buy out clause he has refused to change right?

Salazar

I'm hopeful with RVP. Nothing wrong with that. I really hope we take the steps to keep him but if he goes, unless it's to city, I will wish him all the best. Nothing wrong with being confident that a player can stay at a club.

Just poking, no worries.

I hope he sticks around too.

As long as we manage to keep Krul, Colo and Tiote I think we will be fine. These players are the heart and lungs of the team. Sure If many of the other stars will leave we will still be in big trouble. But I can see us loosing one of the strikers and/or one of Cabaye and Ben Arfa. Ofcourse it would be really bad to see any of them leave but they aren't as important as Krul, Colo and Tiote. I don't know what I would do If we miss CL and Tiote signs with Chelsea or something similar.

GorillaJu

Where does everyone think Cabaye is going? I'd think Ben Arfa is more of a risk, since personality wise he's a bit of a cocky twat.

Where does everyone think Cabaye is going? I'd think Ben Arfa is more of a risk, since personality wise he's a bit of a cocky twat.
Yeah Ben Arfa is probably more at risk to leave but I'm more afraid of Cabaye leaving, Ben ARfa isn't a player I'm seeing Nufc be built around in a couple of years, because of the reason you noted.

But with that said, I can mostly imagine Cabaye in a "bigger(more willing to spend)" english club. Chelsea probably being the team I'm most afraid that he would leave for, Man U also possible. Hell after all we seen why not the fools?

choodi

Banned

I don't think Cabaye is going anywhere. You can just see the joy on that guy's face every time he plays alongside Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Tiote.

My point is that I don't think we will lose anyone, regardless of our finishing position, due to the immense team spirit and the potential to achieve great things in the next couple of seasons.

Of course, stupid money will always cause us to sell, and players are going to want to go if they are being offered double the money, but with the scouting network we have, you have to say that we can potentially replace any one

GorillaJu

Yeah Ben Arfa is probably more at risk to leave but I'm more afraid of Cabaye leaving, Ben ARfa isn't a player I'm seeing Nufc be built around in a couple of years, because of the reason you noted.

But with that said, I can mostly imagine Cabaye in a "bigger(more willing to spend)" english club. Chelsea probably being the team I'm most afraid that he would leave for, Man U also possible. Hell after all we seen why not the fools?

I think Cabaye is a really great player for Newcastle but I think it'll require another good season (or at least half of one) in the Prem before the big spenders look to prize him away. He has a lot of quality and he's a starter at Newcastle but I don't think he would be at any clubs bigger than them.

The only issue would be getting the money to those who deserve it. Guys like Cabaye on their first season at Newcastle probably make 20 or 25k a week, when they could double that at a club like Arsenal or Liverpool. That would be the only reason I could see him leaving.

choodi

Banned
Didn't realise this, but Tiote signed a 6 1/2 year deal in February 2011. Gonna cost a lot of money for some one to buy him

He also said he has no intention of leaving this summer. Probably doesn't mean shit, but still nice to hear him say it

Didn't realise this, but Tiote signed a 6 1/2 year deal in February 2011. Gonna cost a lot of money for some one to buy him

He also said he has no intention of leaving this summer. Probably doesn't mean shit, but still nice to hear him say it
But it probably pays peanuts compared to what he could get elsewhere and the biggest problem is probably not that our stars will ask for being sold, but rather that the clubs will approach a fifth place Nufc with cash that mr Ashley can't say no to.

dc89

pepguardiolapresser20120423_576x324.jpg

he looks old :O

Wait, thats not Pep.

rodvik

Chelsea to win it. Pep to resign. Messi moves to the club he supported as a boy where he reunites with Guardiola. McLeish out and takes over at Barcelona.

This could all happen and it is NOT the drink talking.

ciz2a.jpg

Kyoufu

Messi is an Aston Villa fan?

The fuck?

But it probably pays peanuts compared to what he could get elsewhere and the biggest problem is probably not that our stars will ask for being sold, but rather that the clubs will approach a fifth place Nufc with cash that mr Ashley can't say no to.

We'll be renewing contracts with the players we want to keep. Higher wages will be offered as incentives to stay, but ultimately it's up to the players so we'll see what happens. Pardew did say to the team that the grass is not always greener on the other side and that they should be careful they don't pull another Carroll/Enrique.

We'll be renewing contracts with the players we want to keep. Higher wages will be offered as incentives to stay, but ultimately it's up to the players so we'll see what happens. Pardew did say to the team that the grass is not always greener on the other side and that they should be careful they don't pull another Carroll/Enrique.
We wanted to keep Enrique right? Wages weren't pushed up enough. And it is making it too easy to say that it is up to the players. If we get a bid it will be up to Ashley to take a stance and I don't doubt for a second that he would take a chance to make an extra buck(especially if we miss CL) and if he accepts, how easy is it then for a player to say no to a higher salary at a club who wants to buy him instead of a lower salary at a club who wants to sell him.

But you are really right on the Carrol situation, players should be vary to not change to much when they careers are moving very fast in the right direction. Enrique on the other hand isn't as one sided as one might think, sure we are in top 4 and they aren't close too top 6 but they won a title(a shitty one, but how much I wouldn't we want it) and he certainly got a nice payraise as well as the chance too prove himself in another uniform.

Carbonox

FUCK YOU WHY IS NOT THE WEEKEND

Edit: I very much doubt any of our main players will be leaving. Ba is rumoured to be offered a new contract, Tiote already signed one during the summer, plus the pair of them have said recently that they have no intentions of leaving. Those are the only two with question marks over the head. Ben Arfa, Cabaye etc. will most certainly not leave.

The ONLY way they will be leaving is if Mike Ashley is a dick head and decides to sell to pocket some hard cash. Any reports suggesting these players requested to leave will be bullshit, pure and simple. I still maintain that Andy Carroll was forced out when Mike got that £35m offer. It was well played in hindsight but during that period, there was no way the decision was down to Andy when that fee was thrown around.

Let's hope with what we've accomplished now, Mike will tighten the outgoing transfers, especially as the club is in an amazing financial position compared to last season.

Kyoufu

We wanted to keep Enrique right? Wages weren't pushed up enough. And it is making it too easy to say that it is up to the players. If we get a bid it will be up to Ashley to take a stance and I don't doubt for a second that he would take a chance to make an extra buck(especially if we miss CL) and if he accepts, how easy is it then for a player to say no to a higher salary at a club who wants to buy him instead of a lower salary at a club who wants to sell him.

But you are really right on the Carrol situation, players should be vary to not change to much when they careers are moving very fast in the right direction. Enrique on the other hand isn't as one sided as one might think, sure we are in top 4 and they aren't close too top 6 but they won a title(a shitty one, but how much I wouldn't we want it) and he certainly got a nice payraise as well as the chance too prove himself in another uniform.

Well we're in a better position now than we were when Enrique left. We have more money and if we get a CL spot we'll have even more.

Enrique though, he was glory hunting and fell flat on his face (though he's still a good player).

FUCK YOU WHY IS NOT THE WEEKEND

Edit: I very much doubt any of our main players will be leaving. Ba is rumoured to be offered a new contract, Tiote already signed one during the summer, plus the pair of them have said recently that they have no intentions of leaving. Those are the only two with question marks over the head. Ben Arfa, Cabaye etc. will most certainly not leave.

The ONLY way they will be leaving is if Mike Ashley is a dick head and decides to sell to pocket some hard cash. Any reports suggesting these players requested to leave will be bullshit, pure and simple. I still maintain that Andy Carroll was forced out when Mike got that £35m offer. It was well played in hindsight but during that period, there was no way the decision was down to Andy when that fee was thrown around.

Let's hope with what we've accomplished now, Mike will tighten the outgoing transfers, especially as the club is in an amazing financial position compared to last season.

Well we're in a better position now than we were when Enrique left. We have more money and if we get a CL spot we'll have even more.

Enrique though, he was glory hunting and fell flat on his face (though he's still a good player).
I guess it is all up to Ashley. Not having to sell isn't the same thing as not selling when you are doing something to earn money. But hopefully he can see a longtime win in actually trying to support the direction the club is heading in.

Carbonox

I guess it is all up to Ashley. Not having to sell isn't the same thing as not selling when you are doing something to earn money. But hopefully he can see a longtime win in actually trying to support the direction the club is heading in.

Totally. It's completely senseless to take a step or two back given the unexpected was achieved this season. Without further investment in the team, we could very well be scrapping for mid-table next season if Mike thinks we could sell a couple of our best players. He can't get cocky and think we can continuously sell for a profit and bring in a new squad that will take us in to Europe each season.

We have a foundation to build on now. A foundation that if carefully sculpted further, could even make us firmer top 3 challengers next season. THAT'S a target to aim for.

The money up there will be far more lucrative than selling any of our best players.

Sky Sports News thinks that Newcastle adopting the Lyon strategy of selling one top player a season for a nice amount may benefit the team. Kinda how we got rid of Carroll and invested in the summer on multiple and far superior players. Do it each season with just one leaving and replacing with extra heads who could give us a good bit of meat in cups and European tournaments. This is risky though.

Kyoufu

Sky Sports News thinks that Newcastle adopting the Lyon strategy of selling one top player a season for a nice amount may benefit the team. Kinda how we got rid of Carroll and invested in the summer on multiple and far superior players. Do it each season with just one leaving and replacing with extra heads who could give us a good bit of meat in cups and European tournaments. This is risky though.

Who is it going to be this time then? Tiote? I don't think Ba will go for much. Something like 7 mil or something low :(

All this Newcastle transfer talk so early in the morning is scaring me. I don't want to hear anymore about Cabaye not being in a Newcastle shirt next season. The only excuse for Cabaye not being in a Newcastle shirt is he plays next season naked. Although he'd probably get booked these days. English refs....BAH.

Saying that, I'm pretty damn excited for the game tonight. Hopefully Barca will make it comfortable to avoid my blood pressure going any higher!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I really hope Downing, Adam and Carroll don't take off for big money moves to places like City. I'd never forgive them.
I'll never ever forgive Amauri for leaving us. But I can't blame him, we were going no where.

I'm enjoying this way too much
Tim Wiese two weeks ago:

"I have signed for a club with a bright future that will permanently play for titles"

Today:
It's Hoffenheim

lol

To be fair, he said play for titles, not winning them :p

Weird move.

Jezbollah

Newcastle just confirmed Reins midfielder Romain Amalfitano will join this summer on a free.

More bargain hunting. I love it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Liverpool-GAF!

Milan unsure about Aquilani

The Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Milan are hesitant about fielding Alberto Aquilani as they don’t want to activate their obligation to buy clause.
The midfielder is on loan at San Siro from Liverpool, however, should he play in 25 League games this season then the Diavolo will be forced to sign him outright for €6m.

The former Roma and Juventus player has only appeared in 21 League games so far and there are just five matches of the campaign left.

Aquilani, who spent part of the season sidelined with injury, has struggled to get a game seeing as he has only started 13 Serie A ties while at Milanello.

The Gazzetta is suggesting that the Italian international, scorer of one goal this term, is likely to return to the Premier League at the end of the season

Carbonox

Who is it going to be this time then? Tiote? I don't think Ba will go for much. Something like 7 mil or something low :(

Probably Tiote though he'd still stay with us - the Lyon idea is just that, an idea. We can't profit on Ba because of the clause. Still, we're supposedly giving Ba a new contract.

All this Newcastle transfer talk so early in the morning is scaring me. I don't want to hear anymore about Cabaye not being in a Newcastle shirt next season. The only excuse for Cabaye not being in a Newcastle shirt is he plays next season naked. Although he'd probably get booked these days. English refs....BAH.

Saying that, I'm pretty damn excited for the game tonight. Hopefully Barca will make it comfortable to avoid my blood pressure going any higher!

Barca seriously need to find their shooting boots and fuck Chelsea up big time.

Newcastle just confirmed Reins midfielder Romain Amalfitano will join this summer on a free.

More bargain hunting. I love it.

So it's a done deal then? Sweet. Be interesting to see what he's like. Cabaye can help him big time as I believe Amalfitano is a CM too. Heck, if he gets turned in to another Cabaye then all the better!

Newcastle fans, we got this :) hopefully.

Apparently Messi was sick? But will still play

YOU BETTER HAVE THIS OR I'LL BE LOOKING FOR YOU.

Top Bottom