• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

I don't know about the other two listed, but Ronaldo didn't miss the penalty last night, Neuer stopped it.

Give credit where credit is due.

Now Ramos, he missed.

Clegg

Ronaldo hit the post against Barcelona and had his other penalty was saved by Cech.

I just think its a bit ironic that big game player like Ronaldo fails to score 3 hugely important penalties when penalty taking is usually one of his strengths.

Kyoufu

Ronaldo hit the post against Barcelona and had his other penalty was saved by Cech.

I just think its a bit ironic that big game player like Ronaldo fails to score 3 hugely important penalties when penalty taking is usually one of his strengths.

He doesn't turn up to big games.

sneaky77

If Guardiola leaves, is because he wants to, not because Barca kicks him out that would just be stupid on their part. I can see him leaving he looks burnt out right now.

It's ironic but I don't think you can read much into it. That the first penalty he's missed in 25. It's not like it was a bad penalty, if he did what Ramos did or something it would have been questionable. Wasn't perfect either but it was a good hit, Neuer saved it well.

He did score a penalty earlier on in the semi also, one which probably had more riding on it than the one he missed against Barca in the 08 semi.

Well, people shouldn't forget he also scored the two goals before missing that one, saying he doesn't turn up for the big games is kind of silly after yesterday. Missing a penalty happens to everyone, it's hilarious that Ramos thought he should take one though. Neuer was just brilliant with his saves.

GorillaJu

Mentioned earlier that Liverpool were rumored to have a TV show lined up at FOX.

Looks like it's gone official

Liverpool FC is set to become the first football club in the world to give fans a truly unique insight into what goes on behind the scenes with the announcement today that it has teamed up with FOX Soccer to participate in a groundbreaking new documentary series.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-to-star-in-tv-world-first

sneaky77

Well, people shouldn't forget he also scored the two goals before missing that one, saying he doesn't turn up for the big games is kind of silly after yesterday. Missing a penalty happens to everyone, it's hilarious that Ramos thought he should take one though.

Ronaldo was missing for most of the game to be honest, he scored a pk and a tap in.. which is all well and good but then he didn't show up much again

Kyoufu

Well, people shouldn't forget he also scored the two goals before missing that one, saying he doesn't turn up for the big games is kind of silly after yesterday. Missing a penalty happens to everyone, it's hilarious that Ramos thought he should take one though. Neuer was just brilliant with his saves.

I was joking.

I hate you guys.

Ronaldo will always have the "big game flop" tag. It's just one of those things which he's been labelled with and for most people it will stick unless he plays incredible in every big game. He's okay in big games, he's not terrible and he's not great, that's it really.

There are very few players who actually go up a level and rise to the occasion in the biggest games. Zidane was the best at this in my experience, he was so good at it and even made those around him play better it seemed.

elseanio

Eh, 'world first'? There was something very similar with QPR lately and Premier Passions is pretty much EXACTLY what this Liverpool show sounds like and was done well over a decade ago.

Yep, and I doubt this show will be given half the access that QPR documentary was.

Clegg

He's definitely a big game player imo.

He was our only goalscorer in the CL final against Chelsea and he was astonishingly good in both legs of the Cl semi final against Arsenal.

He has had poor games against Barca but who hasn't?

Another reason to support Bayern?
Haha, I guess.

Reminds of Keano in 99 when he decided to stay away from the presentation. Said he didn't feel he deserved it, even though he pretty much got us to that final on his own. Terry's tale is oh so different.

Still, both twats.

I was surprised that Ramos was the one taking the pk. Was I the only one?
No, I was very surprised. Especially when Madrid had the likes of Marcelo, Higuain and Granero who hadn't yet taken a kick.

He's definitely a big game player.

He was our only goalscorer in the CL final against Chelsea and he was astonishingly good in both legs of the Cl semi final against Arsenal.
He's had some great big games and some poor ones too. Levels out for the most part.

Ronaldo was missing for most of the game to be honest, he scored a pk and a tap in.. which is all well and good but then he didn't show up much again

He still scored two goals. And the entire offense was missing for most of that game because of the tactics. Plus, it was pretty clear they were tired.

sneaky77

He still scored two goals. And the entire offense was missing for most of that game because of the tactics. Plus, it was pretty clear they were tired.

I did mention the two goals... and yes the Madrid tacticts were terrible, then again Munich outplayed them and earned it. I was very confused by the lack of ambition of Madrid playing at home

Clegg

I agree with Viva Re: Zidane.

He could raise his game for the big occasions like no-one else.

But he could have some complete shockers in the league.

Madrid could have played better but really sometimes it's just not meant to be. Bayern were great and just so determined to get it done.

Mourinho's team have been incredible this season. They've dominanted La Liga, raising the bar to a whole new level. From what I've seen they've been the best team in Europe this term.

It's a shame for them they won't the CL but that's just the way it goes. A bit of luck and they might have been in the final.

Fixed. Ramos, what the hell was that man...

If I was Mourinho I would make him shave his head as punishment.
It was a shit penalty but we don't know why it came to him to take it.

Its possible that there wern't enough people willing to take one and he put himself forwards.

With pens I always think if somebody says they want to take one you should let them, it's all about the confidence. It seems Ramo's confidence was misguided but what can you do. Still think Higuain should have been taking it, maybe he didn't want to though.

Does anybody know whether you can change order/takers after you've put forward the list of 5?

rififi

Mourinho tried to play it safe by trying to defend the score. Teams like Chelsea and Inter have/had the defensive players to accomplish that, I don't think Madrid do. Madrid have technically great defenders, but all of them like to get involved offensively as well (hence why I guess Ramos tried to take the penalty before Higuain). Madrid's players don't allow for this tactic to work well.

Casillas once again had something to say about Mou's tactical decisions though (in Spanish): El Pais

sneaky77

The problem was that if Bayern had gotten another goal in, the match would've been almost over. They couldn't play all-out offensive football, as it became evident that it would've given Bayern way too much space.

You are at home and you don't try to win it? I dont think you need to go all out attack to try to score a goal.. Bayer kept trying to score the whole time.

Top Bottom