• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marco Verratti: "I have always been a Juventus fan, but I can't speak about the transfer because it's not official yet."

"I hope Juventus wins the Scudetto. They deserve it."

Exclamation-point.jpg

Subtitles: I joined Juve but I'm not allowed to say it.

GET IN VERRATTI <3

Moobabe

It'd take a hell of a fuck up to outdo your drivel about Hodgson at Liverpool, but congratulations.

Nope - MGS 4 is almost empirically awful and you, for liking it, have bad taste in videogames. I cannot fathom how anyone can like it, truly I can't. And as for "drivel" - before the Norwich game weren't Liverpool on course for their lowest points tally since 92? King Kenny indeed.

Go on - tell me why Kenny is a genius and MGS 4 is "game of the forever" - I dare you.

PowderedToast

Lately it has been Man United bottling it.

After the 4-4, I really don't expect them to win.

Which means they'll win.

i considered that, but fergie will have been fiercely plugging a hole in his defense somehow.

man i dunno, i just hope it's a good fucking game.

Scum

I've managed to expire the contracts of all the players playing PL (1st team, Reserves and U18). Players are up for grabs and for free. Notable transfers so far:

van Persie to Man City
Kompany to Arsenal
Bramble to Stoke
Cleverly to Everton
Nani to Spurs
Dzeko to Newcastle
Rooney to Chelsea
Micah Richards to Liverpool
Jenas to A. Villa

I've managed to expire the contracts of all the players playing PL (1st team, Reserves and U18). Players are up for grabs and for free. Notable transfers so far:

van Persie to Man City
Kompany to Arsenal
Bramble to Stoke
Cleverly to Everton
Nani to Spurs
Dzeko to Newcastle
Rooney to Chelsea

Jenas to A. Villa

The ones in bold seem the most likely in rl :p

please god no

offshore

van Persie to Man City
Kompany to Arsenal
Bramble to Stoke
Cleverly to Everton
Nani to Spurs
Dzeko to Newcastle
Rooney to Chelsea
Jenas to A. Villa
So what we can conclude from this is that when Newcastle's players contracts expire, they remain loyal to us and don't leave? :p

Scum

Terry's still looking for a club but Lampard is at Man City on £185,000 a week! :lol
Drogba's a Man Utd player now.

rififi

van Persie to Man City
Kompany to Arsenal
Bramble to Stoke
Cleverly to Everton
Nani to Spurs
Dzeko to Newcastle
Rooney to Chelsea
Jenas to A. Villa

I didn't realize it was some FM fun, but I still can't see RVP going to city, I think he is a very respectable player. If he does leave Arsenal I feel it is more likely to go outside the PL. Obviously if he does actually go to City, then I will eat my words.

And about Kompany to Arsenal, that would be a incredible move - Vermaelen and Kompany together would be fantastic. How likely is that?

Arnie

It's got 0-0 written all over it, if I'm being honest. Too much hype.

Who am I kidding. It'll be like Old Trafford all over again.

Arnie

:O so many footballGAF members are rooting for City. I hope they don't let you down.
To be fair, the whole world is rooting for City, not just us.
Liverpool-GAF, read this article on Aquilani.

The headline brought a tear to my eye. I was saying all pre-season that Aquilani is exactly what we needed, especially going forwards. Seeing his pre-season performances confirmed this too, with our owner tweeting about how good he was. Then he goes back on loan. It's honestly baffling. He's our player, and he's what we're missing in midfield, but we just don't seem to want him or he doesn't want to stay.

WJD

To be fair, the whole world is rooting for City, not just us.

The headline brought a tear to my eye. I was saying all pre-season that Aquilani is exactly what we needed, especially going forwards. Seeing his pre-season performances confirmed this too, with our owner tweeting about how good he was. Then he goes back on loan. It's honestly baffling. He's our player, and he's what we're missing in midfield, but we just don't seem to want him or he doesn't want to stay.

How has he been injury-wise this season? Agreed on him being just what you need.

Conte and Angelo are warming up to Borriello, and I'm sure Iaquinta is unsellable by now too.

What are we doing?

Long post but I'm getting a bit frustrated with fellow Juventini wanting to cut our squad players.

You guys say this now, but we're going to need players like Borriello, Giaccherini, Estigarribia, Pepe, and company who don't play every week but contribute their 20 games a season across all competitions even if those are substitutions. We need a slightly bloated squad given the high intensity we play at and that well be in thee competitions next year (four with supper coppa, I guess).

We get rid of Grosso, Krasic, Iaquinta, Amauri (he's technically on loan, no?), Martinez, Motta, one of Pazienza or Padoin, Melo, possibly players like De Silvestromwh haven't really lived up to our quality, Ekdal probably too thoug I really like him. We loan out Sorensen, probably Marrone, Giandonato again, sign Verratti which it looks like we have for ages. Promote Appelt or Buoy, even.

Our defense remains largely unchanged. Potentially we bring back Sorensen and give him a runout in coppa games, but he's clearly behind Caceres and Lichtsteiner at RB and Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini at CB. Very seriously an emergency player. We buy a LB to compete with Paolino for backup role when Chiellini is in the cente, or for LWB position. Possibly we get linked with Bastos again.

In the middle we really need a vice-Pirlo and some cover for our box-to-box midfielders. Maybe Verratti doesn't get loaned right away. Frankly, if we're bringing Giovinco back, I would use him alternatively in the centre in an emergency. Still dislike the fucker, but that's football. Maybe Aquilani makes a surprise return? As a backup his fragility isn't that much of a concern.

Up front, we possibly get a new RW to properly compete with Pepe (we can't actually imagine him as a CL starter, right?). I'm thinking Destro at Siena has the qualities to play in that role, maybe Elia surprises us, possibly this Ramirez chap we've been linked with in the past. And we get a new ST and vice-Vucinic since Delpo is going to the USA. ST pecking order will probably be something like New Striker (Dzeko? Torres? Suarez? Somebody from the Portuguese league?), Matri, Quagliarella/Borriello. That is totally reasonable for three competitions. It leaves us with plenty of depth and talent, cover for injuries amd tactical changes. We don't want to go through the injury crisis at Milan and blow our title chances or fail to qualify for CL knockouts.

The fact is, next year is not the year to even think about the treble. It's to consolidate our place in the league, make some waves in Europe, and make a run for the Coppa. To use Conte's favourite phrase, we haven't achieved anything yet. Baby steps, man. We are right to get excited, but can't pretend we are a Goliath team yet. We're still leagues behind Bayern, United, Milan in terms of a complete squad, let alone Madrid and Barca.

And we don't need to profit off our sales. With money from Champions, our new stadium and sponsership, and possibly picking up a trophy or two we can afford to still buy players. It's the nice thing about being a financially well-structured team. It has set us up fantastically for our future.

Four-five players, I think, in addition to our base 16 or so regulars and we'll be ace.

Arnie

How has he been injury-wise this season? Agreed on him being just what you need.

Not quite sure, although I know for certain he's definitely not been the injury prone player he was dubbed before we signed him. He's certainly not the 'crystal legs' he once was. Any lack of playing time he's had in Milan this season is as much down to a relucatance to pay his contract rather than him being unavailable.

The guy's fucking class, if we don't give him another shot then it'll honestly infuriate me. We're overloaded with a wealth of steady talent but we're lacking that creative spark. Aquilani is just that.

GorillaJu

Nope - MGS 4 is almost empirically awful and you, for liking it, have bad taste in videogames. I cannot fathom how anyone can like it, truly I can't. And as for "drivel" - before the Norwich game weren't Liverpool on course for their lowest points tally since 92? King Kenny indeed.

Go on - tell me why Kenny is a genius and MGS 4 is "game of the forever" - I dare you.

Whoa chill out Amirox

Somewhere in between "game of the forever" and "empirically awful" there is something we call "rational thought." May be something worth checking out down the line. I don't have to explain words that you put in my mouth.

Whoa chill out Amirox

Oh damn son. That was a fall from grace!

I don't expect to see Aquilani back at Liverpool for very long at all. He probably should have thought about moving to a totally different country and culture before, you know, moving to a totally different country and culture.

He has been injured a fair bit this season but last season he was injury free at Juve, more or less. As Digby says in the article, his defensive game has improved loads under Delneri and somewhat with Allegri. (Sidenote: Digby is spot on in saying that Juventus's amazing defense this year owes a lot to the work done by Delneri.) Aquilani is probably a better DM than Pirlo in a lot of ways now, and his passing ability with the ball is top class. He's a remarkably unlucky player in a lot of ways but I'm a big admirer of him. I hope for a Juve return in a lot of ways but he really needs to be given a shot at Liverpool alongside a proper DM that can protect him. It'll take some of the relative weight off of Gerrard's shoulders, without question.

Arnie

As the finale to Solid Snake's story, and given the pre-release footage that intimated a sprawling epic centred around a war torn environment, MGS4 is a bad game.

Isolated into seperate parts the game's excellent, but there's too much dross and filler between the good bits to make it worth while. Act 1 is brilliant. Act 2 is short but excellent still. Act 3 is crap. Act 4 is awful, despite the attempt to hide it with an overload of nostalgia. And the 20 minute sneak sequence in Act 5 is perhaps the greatest moment of pure stealth in the series, which perhaps made the whole thing worse.

Moobabe

Whoa chill out Amirox

Somewhere in between "game of the forever" and "empirically awful" there is something we call "rational thought." May be something worth checking out down the line. I don't have to explain words that you put in my mouth.

You can go back through my posts - I like to pride myself on being one of the more rational posters in footy GAF - I'm not going to argue about MGS 4, but somewhere down the line "rational thought" seemed to disappear when you called my opinion "drivel" which, to the untrained eye, might be like me calling something "empirically awful."

Also, of course, there's condescending me, something which won't get you very far - because it would imply that I'm stupid and, again, going through my posts might demonstrate the exact opposite of that to you.

I think Kenny has done a crap job at Liverpool with more means than Hodgson had available to him - feel free to disagree. I also think MGS 4 is one of the worst games I've had the displeasure of playing - pure fan service drivel with little gameplay to speak of. Implying that I'm not being rational because I disagree with you is pretty naive.

Kyoufu

If you guys want to kill time between now and the Manchico, I suggest watching the CM Punk - Chris Jericho Chicago Street Fight match from last night.

So fucking good.

Lightning

Banned
I don't see how Podolski is anything other than a direct replacement for Van Persie, which probably means Van Persie to City.
That would be a shocking downgrade from Arsenal if that turns out to be true.

I am happy that Podolski has signed for us but to compliment Van Persie, not replace him.

GorillaJu

You can go back through my posts - I like to pride myself on being one of the more rational posters in footy GAF - I'm not going to argue about MGS 4, but somewhere down the line "rational thought" seemed to disappear when you called my opinion "drivel" which, to the untrained eye, might be like me calling something "empirically awful."

Also, of course, there's condescending me, something which won't get you very far - because it would imply that I'm stupid and, again, going through my posts might demonstrate the exact opposite of that to you.

I think Kenny has done a crap job at Liverpool with more means than Hodgson had available to him - feel free to disagree. I also think MGS 4 is one of the worst games I've had the displeasure of playing - pure fan service drivel with little gameplay to speak of. Implying that I'm not being rational because I disagree with you is pretty naive.

Sorry if I offended you by calling your post "drivel." It was just simpler than "poorly thought, baseless hyperbole"

Moobabe

Sorry if I offended you by calling your post "drivel." It was just simpler than "poorly thought, baseless hyperbole"

Apology accepted - I was trolling Fady. In all seriousness - the reason I dislike MGS4 so much is because it could have been excellent - the gameplay, when it appeared, was fantastic. Unfortunately I would then have to watch Ocelot do some dance on top of a boat while mind controlling a bunch of soldiers.

The end could have redeemed it for me, should have redeemed it for me -
Snake should have shot himself in the graveyard

The disappointment adds to my opinion of the game.

Rikkun

Marco Verratti: "I have always been a Juventus fan, but I can't speak about the transfer because it's not official yet."

"I hope Juventus wins the ________. They deserve it."

Subtitles: I joined Juve but I'm not allowed to say it.

GET IN VERRATTI <3

Hype.
Modified your post btw.

Fry

In other news, Fry has been living under a rock :p

I thought both teams were playing today, but not against each other.

But yeah, watching movies and tv shows all day under a rock, only leaving to go see The Avengers. :p (we got two days off over here, only have class on wednesday now)

Scum

PL after 3 games has Sunderland on top, followed by Man Utd and then Chelsea, with max points. Welbeck doing the business for Sunderland with 7 goals in 3 games. D:

18th is Wigan, 19th Blackburn with Bolton propping up the table.

Lightning

Banned
I haven't played it but you're named after a horrible character from a horrible game. I don't know what to think of that statement. :p
When I selected my username the game wasn't released and while yes FFXIII disappointed Lightning as a character is freakin awesome. She is one of the few highlights in the game that promised a lot on hype but really got majority things horribly wrong....

Arnie

I haven't played it but you're named after a horrible character from a horrible game. I don't know what to think of that statement. :p

Don't forget his avatar.

At this point the Final Fantasy franchise is sandwiched between Saints Row and Ridge Racer in videogame mediocrity.

GOW: Ascension multi actually looks pretty cool. I was pretty annoyed by the idea before, but am pleasantly surprised! Don't really see the point of yet another Kratos game though :/

And MGS4 is the worst of the series.

Fry

I'll play MGS4 one day. I trust blablurn's opinion on it (as the best game of the generation), since I think MGS3 is the best PS2 game.
I finished it about 25 times. And that was over 4 years ago, I could play it again over and over.

Top Bottom