• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

WJD

If God of War didn't have it's graphics it'd be just another linear action game with shallow mechanics, even shallower characters and an obsession with quick time events. Can't fathom the excitment for that franchise. I rented God of War 3 and didn't even bother finishing it.

I tried the demo and felt the same. I guess the main appeal is its scale but I don't think that's enough to keep me interested for a whole game.

choodi

Banned
We need 9 points for CL. We're so boned dude. So boned. Losing at Wigan killed our hopes of 3rd, and with our poor goal difference getting 4th will be a stretch.

Though to be honest, I'm looking forward to Europa. Just hope we don't get CL quality teams in the 2nd round if we're going to go far.

The most important thing is strengthening our squad in the summer. We really need top 4 quality players.

As much as I would have loved to see us in the Champions League next season, I think that it is beyond us now.

I have been saying all along that the Europa League is where we should be aiming as we simply don't have the squad to compete in the Champions League yet. I think it would actually be detrimental to our progress as it would put too much pressure on a threadbare squad.

The other potential problem is that it would put upwards pressure on the wage structure that has been installed and this could lead to the same types of problems that we have experienced in the past. I like how we are travelling and I like the attitude being displayed in the team. Players getting too full of themselves would lead us back down the path that we went under Sir Bobby. (ie Dyer, Jenas, etc all thinking themselves better and worth more than what they were)

If we manage to have a good run in the Europa and add a few players of the quality of Cabaye, Ba and Cisse, I think we can keep progressing and have a very good shot at a top 4 spot next season. Only then would we be even remotely ready for the CL.

Edit: Go City!

Hixx

If God of War didn't have it's graphics it'd be just another linear action game with shallow mechanics, even shallower characters and an obsession with quick time events. Can't fathom the excitment for that franchise. I rented God of War 3 and didn't even bother finishing it.

God of War 2 is a fucking brilliant game. The first was ok and the third felt more like a 'come on, see the next big scripted event!' game but was still a decent play.

GorillaJu

Liverpool-GAF, read this article on Aquilani.

The issue has never been that he's not wanted. He'd fit really well in our team. It's that he doesn't want to be in England, he wants to be at home in Italy. He's been quietly and politely pursuing his cause with the management to get a permanent transfer, but we've been hard done by twice now, after Juve decided they don't want to honor the agreement and Milan is doing their best to avoid activating the transfer clause in his loan.

I'd love to see him put on the shirt for a season and orchestrate our attacks. If nothing else he'd be a great bench option as his passing tempo can wreak havoc on tired legs. But I can't be arsed to care anymore – it's just not meant to be.

I did read the article anyway and it of course makes good points. I just don't think we'll be seeing Aqua ply his trade at Anfield again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
19 - Juventus have hit the woodwork 19 times this season, at least five times more than any other Serie A side. Unlucky

9YxTQ.gif

Az

I am leaving work early to catch the City - United game. I am hoping for nerve wrecking last minute goals, but it will probably be an average 2-2.

offshore

I don't really care who wins tonight or the title, I just wanted tonight's game to mean something, rather than the non-event it was looking like a few weeks ago. lol

elsk

Banned
Santana (Dortmund) to Leverkusen for 3m... And Bayern? Bayern have extended the contract with Daniel van Buyten until 2013.

Kyoufu

As much as I would have loved to see us in the Champions League next season, I think that it is beyond us now.

I have been saying all along that the Europa League is where we should be aiming as we simply don't have the squad to compete in the Champions League yet. I think it would actually be detrimental to our progress as it would put too much pressure on a threadbare squad.

The other potential problem is that it would put upwards pressure on the wage structure that has been installed and this could lead to the same types of problems that we have experienced in the past. I like how we are travelling and I like the attitude being displayed in the team. Players getting too full of themselves would lead us back down the path that we went under Sir Bobby. (ie Dyer, Jenas, etc all thinking themselves better and worth more than what they were)

If we manage to have a good run in the Europa and add a few players of the quality of Cabaye, Ba and Cisse, I think we can keep progressing and have a very good shot at a top 4 spot next season. Only then would we be even remotely ready for the CL.

Edit: Go City!

Well, we could have used the CL money. And failing in CL means we end up in Europa anyway, so I don't see what the negatives are in that scenario :p

Kyoufu

Europa will drain the squad and you will suffer domestically.

True. It happened to Stoke (but I think they're shite anyway) but with all that CL money the squad could be strengthened and we'd even be able to play our B team in Europa.

Would also give us a decent figure to spend in January if necessary.

Stubo

This reminds me of Bioshock 2 completely. The multiplayer isn't up to standard at all, but personally I enjoyed the single player experience. Anyone who 'hated' the single player had set an impossibly high bar.

Carbonox

Atrocious? They've only revealed the MP. If the single player has the same combat mechanics as GOW3 but improved slightly and a decent story then it's definitely day 1.

It will be shorter than God of War 3 according to the director, which was a short game itself. Plus the story is a re-tread of the "I HATE YOU ARES" plot. I fail to see the appeal of it.

Plus multiplayer being a big focus...

It sounds terrible. I'm going to go hug my copy of God of War 2.

Stubo

It will be shorter than God of War 3 according to the director, which was a short game itself. Plus the story is a re-tread of the "I HATE YOU ARES" plot. I fail to see the appeal of it.

Plus multiplayer being a big focus...

It sounds terrible. I'm going to go hug my copy of God of War 2.
I would suggest that it's a little early to be so pessimistic about it, but such is the GAF way.

Still plenty of time for it to prove itself worthy of a look, not that I'll guarantee anything since Ninja Gaiden 3's release.

Zabojnik

19 - Juventus have hit the woodwork 19 times this season, at least five times more than any other Serie A side. Unlucky

9YxTQ.gif

Yep, except 'luck' has nothing to do with it, amirite? WC STRIKER. NAOOOO.

Quagliarella extended his contract until 2015. Who the hell are we going to let go in the summer?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yep, except 'luck' has nothing to do with it, amirite? WC STRIKER. NAOOOO.

Quagliarella extended his contract until 2015. Who the hell are we going to let go in the summer?

Conte and Angelo are warming up to Borriello, and I'm sure Iaquinta is unsellable by now too.

What are we doing?

Top Bottom