• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Zabojnik

Guys, do any of you happen to still have Witcher 2 savegames, PC version? I'm trying to get quick access to the two new Act III quests in the Enhanced Edition. What I need is a Roche's path savegame (I already have them for Iovereth's path) from the very end of Act II. The game autosaves after the battle of Vergen ('Vergen Besieged'), when Saskia confronts the defeated king ... that's what I need, ideally, so to minimize the time needed to get to Act III. If you load an Act III savegame directly, the quests do not activate, apparently.

Can you help a fellow monster hunter out? The savegame folder is located under \Users\<User>\Documents\Witcher 2\savegames. You can find which savegame is which by comparing the timestamps. Thanks!

Carbonox

Oh and MGS4 is one of the best games made this generation without question. Absolutely brilliant game.

Yes!

When I selected my username the game wasn't released and while yes FFXIII disappointed Lightning as a character is freakin awesome. She is one of the few highlights in the game that promised a lot on hype but really got majority things horribly wrong....

Yes!!!!!!

There's hope for you yet.

MGS4 is fucking awful.

Fuck you brah. Fuck you.

Fry

He said that? Blablurn, I thought you were cool! I might have to support Chelsea in the CL final now.

ic5X6C0kjC1Yv.gif

GorillaJu

Well if nothing else MGS4 is the best game at dividing people. There seems to be no middle ground.

For me it's still in the top 5 of this gen, but I don't pay attention to stories in games. At least not as primary elements - I look to what the story tells me about the game, but not the narrative itself. It's why I don't really like Uncharted games or Assassin's Creed - they're pure narrative and bore me a bit.

MGS4's story served what it was trying to show as a demonstration of the evolution of games. Refitted with super high tech gadgets, you trudge around old-school video game landscapes and characters. Everything is a metaphor for games and gamers evolving. It deserves to be digested and thought of. Old, jaded Snake returning to the youthful PSOne world of Shadow Moses was a bittersweet moment no other game has delivered. Made me feel so aged. It was perfectly executed one of the only "art" experiences I've had this gen.

All the MGS games had these elements (like MGS2's unique exploration of player-character relationships) but often get overshadowed by the medium through which they're delivered - overwrought, B-movie narratives.

Hixx

PL after 3 games has Sunderland on top, followed by Man Utd and then Chelsea, with max points. Welbeck doing the business for Sunderland with 7 goals in 3 games. D:

18th is Wigan, 19th Blackburn with Bolton propping up the table.

Seems about right.

I may be alone in this but I don't regard Uncharted 2 as highly as others. I enjoyed the cutscenes, Not the gameplay between them.

Uncharted 2 is the only one of the 3 where the gameplay matches up to the rest of the game imo. Uncharted 1 had WAY too many trial and error fights, U3 horrible, horrible aiming and the combat was far too reliant on a wave system which was awful.

Carbonox

Seems about right.

Uncharted 2 is the only one of the 3 where the gameplay matches up to the rest of the game imo. Uncharted 1 had WAY too many trial and error fights, U3 horrible, horrible aiming and the combat was far too reliant on a wave system which was awful.

Yup. Plus the story was shit and to me, the spectacles that ND thrust at you all the time got very boring and had no effect on me.

I'm very happy to say that I'm done with the series now. There's nothing wow about the series anymore.

GorillaJu

I may be alone in this but I don't regard Uncharted 2 as highly as others. I enjoyed the cutscenes, Not the gameplay between them.

I'm not a big Uncharted fan but I thought 3 had the best non-combat sections. Didn't like the "wandering " sections though.

Overall 2 is best for me.

DanishGAF, apparently Juve have reached an agreement on Jacob Barret Laursen, a Denmark u18. Apparently we also trialled him at some point. My question is simple: who is this kid?

offshore

Uncharted 3 was a disappointment. The big set pieces they were touting like the plane and ship were really poor.

Although maybe I was expecting too much.

fuenf

Put me in the MGS 4 = game of the generation camp. Loved the ending. :) But tbh i only played MGS1 and MGS 4, so my opinion might be distorted.

Edit: Yeah Uncharted 3 was disappointing. I didnt have any problem with the gameplay or the aiming mechanics but i found the story to be complety barebones. Seemed liked all the charme and character interaction of U2 was gone. Drake was a fucking jerk in U3. :(

Kyoufu

Last time City won the league title they had to go to Newcastle at the end of the season?

lol

Though imagine if we made them drop points on Sunday...

Dibbz

spoiler fail messi but yes it was epic. Blew my mind when I played that.

Only disappointment in MGS4 was Kojima bent over and changed the ending because of his team :( Oh and Meryl looked like a bloke.

Moobabe

Well if nothing else MGS4 is the best game at dividing people. There seems to be no middle ground.

For me it's still in the top 5 of this gen, but I don't pay attention to stories in games. At least not as primary elements - I look to what the story tells me about the game, but not the narrative itself. It's why I don't really like Uncharted games or Assassin's Creed - they're pure narrative and bore me a bit.

MGS4's story served what it was trying to show as a demonstration of the evolution of games. Refitted with super high tech gadgets, you trudge around old-school video game landscapes and characters. Everything is a metaphor for games and gamers evolving. It deserves to be digested and thought of. Old, jaded Snake returning to the youthful PSOne world of Shadow Moses was a bittersweet moment no other game has delivered. Made me feel so aged. It was perfectly executed one of the only "art" experiences I've had this gen.

All the MGS games had these elements (like MGS2's unique exploration of player-character relationships) but often get overshadowed by the medium through which they're delivered - overwrought, B-movie narratives.

I think you're doing MGS4 a HUGE service with this post. I agree that this might be the intention of the game and Kojima - but what was delivered is an unsubtle, poorly written, poorly edited piece of fan service.

And the ending? THE ENDING?! It's almost indefensible from my point of view. I'd like to hear why people enjoyed/liked the ending.

Meier

Last time City won the league title they had to go to Newcastle at the end of the season?

lol

Though imagine if we made them drop points on Sunday...

Yeah, I posted an article about it last week. Apparently United faced Sunderland on the final day of the season and lost to them which cemented the championship for City. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself!

Clegg

City won't lose the title at Newcastle because they'll lose it tonight.

United will get the winner in the 7th of 4 minutes of injury time.

Rooney will score with his dick.

Kyoufu

Yeah, I posted an article about it last week. Apparently United faced Sunderland on the final day of the season and lost to them which cemented the championship for City. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself!

That is scary...

I wonder if Manchester will be victorious over Tyne-Wear.

Messi

Play MGS2 and 3, man. Snake Eater is the most epic game I have ever played. I remember that it came out around the time of Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colosuss. Fuck me, those were the days.

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

HERE HERE,to the greatest game i've ever played.

MGS3 Spoilers
Having to pull the trigger on Boss was one of the most horrible things i've had to do in a game

If you have not played MGS3 you need to get the HD collection and fix that. Snake Eater is AMAZING.

Carbonox

The final MGS4 fight with
Liquid
was incredibly epic

edit: whoops

Yah, was an amazing battle.

I could have easily shed a tear. I knew during that event that this was it for the story. This was the end. We're at the finale and there's no turning back.

MGS3 is amazing as well. I sure as shit hope the MGS5 rumours are true about it being focused on Big Boss again. I thought Peace Walker was shite with a really bad story, so I want a proper one that fully showcases the Anakin > Darth Vader plot that we know Big Boss succumbs to.

Lightning

Banned
I love the Uncharted games but I loved Uncharted 3 the most. I felt that this was a truly special game that built up well between the set plays and gun battles while also throwing in puzzles for the first half of the game. I can see how this game would piss a few people off but for me it was fantastic.

Uncharted 2 I really liked but not as much as I liked part 3. I just felt that 3 done most things better.

fuenf

Play MGS2 and 3, man. Snake Eater is the most epic game I have ever played. I remember that it came out around the time of Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colosuss. Fuck me, those were the days.

Dunno what happened, i remember being hyped for both but never managed to pick them up. :( I think i wanted to quit gaming around the time 3 came out (because of girls, school and stuff) so i guess thats why i didnt buy it (foolish me). I will buy the HD collection sometime later this year.

Messi

Yah, was an amazing battle.

I could have easily shed a tear. I knew during that event that this was it for the story. This was the end. We're at the finale and there's no turning back.

MGS3 is amazing as well. I sure as shit hope the MGS5 rumours are true about it being focused on Big Boss again. I thought Peace Walker was shite with a really bad story, so I want a proper one that fully showcases the Anakin > Darth Vader plot that we know Big Boss succumbs to.

Also cheers Kojima for making me feel Snakes pain
crawling through the microwave
. I felt genuine pain and dread.

I'd love another console Big Boss game.

Moobabe

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for being the one to post last on the page - and for those that think MGS 4 is game of generation, with no hostility implied, really?

For me there are countless better - Bioshock, Braid, Red Dead, GTA 4, Portal 1 and 2, Bastion, Demon's Souls + Dark Souls, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 2, Crysis, Batman AA and AC, Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Minecraft etc etc

Why, and how, is MGS 4 better? Is it because you guys love MGS so much as a series?

offshore

The only problem with MGS3 is The End. Whose idea was it to have a boss that spans three environments with constant loading in-between?

Carbonox

Thanks for being the one to post last on the page - and for those that think MGS 4 is game of generation, with no hostility implied, really?

For me there are countless better - Bioshock, Braid, Red Dead, GTA 4, Portal 1 and 2, Bastion, Demon's Souls + Dark Souls, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 2, Crysis, Batman AA and AC, Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Minecraft etc etc

Why, and how, is MGS 4 better? Is it because you guys love MGS so much as a series?

Best stealth game of the generation.

Wilbur

Banned
Seems about right.

Uncharted 3 was a disappointment. The big set pieces they were touting like the plane and ship were really poor.

Although maybe I was expecting too much.

I thought the set pieces were astonishing in U3, the plane especially. Just the rest didn't live up to U2.

The reason I love Uncharted 2 is because I thought the first one was pretty mediocre. Good production value, average game. Second one came out of nowhere and blew my dick off. It was just such a marked improvement, like AC2 > AC1 x 10000000. Third one was good fun but nothing new.

The plane bit was good in theory, but very short. Should have had to stealth through the whole plane and then a window blows and everything's getting sucked out of it and stuff. The ship bit was incredible though, camera was awesome.

MGS4 is brilliant in parts, shit in others. Overall I enjoyed it. Haven't played the other 3, but we've got the HD collection.

Best game ever? San Andreas or Pokemon Gold.

Meier

There are rumors within the Etihad that Silva is on the bench tonight and De Jong starts.

Interesting. He didn't seem very happy when he came off versus Wolves but you'd think over a week rest would have him quite refreshed. I guess I can see Mancini going a bit more defensive early on and bringing on Silva late in hopes he can help set up the winner?

Hmm...I see you listed Minecraft, Moobabe. I didn't consider that or Starcraft II (a game of the forever) and need to add those to my list.

Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood
Saint's Row: The Third
Dark Souls
Fallout 3
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Portal 1 & 2
Starcraft II
Minecraft

There are my ten, I guess.

Noirulus

It had the perfect combination of stealth and action, really fun boss battles and an awesome nostalgia moment near the end. Generally being a highly polished game also helps.

Ian Ladyman of the Mail says the City players won't even know the team until 6.10pm.

If that's the case I doubt the De Jong rumour is true. People love to speculate about team news prior to these big games. It'll all become clear soon enough.

Top Bottom