• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Slizz

The only good thing about this goal is the LA fans going nuts. Great to see that in MLS. How does the MLS compare to MLB, NBA and NFL in terms of draw?

NFL draws the most with about 65-70k, NBA draws a little less cause the arenas are smaller, MLB 25-30k range, then MLS draws about 15-20k

EDIT: Theses are attendance figures not earnings lol.

Kyoufu

NFL draws the most with about 65-70k, NBA draws a little less cause the arenas are smaller, MLB 25-30k range, then MLS draws about 15-20k

EDIT: Theses are attendance figures not earnings lol.

Yeah was looking for attendance figures. Thanks!

You're forgetting the best sport of all. NHL frowns at you, sir.

Oops. Forgot about Hockey. Like most of the world. :lol

rififi

Lol I just watched the 4 penalty appeals. First 2 were typical Drogba dives but the last 2 were obviously handballs.

What does GAF think now?

here it is in case you didn't see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENQDQ52SOY

Yeah, the first one was definitely a dive, second one was a dive as well, but I think he was still held back slightly - awkward attempts at a tackle, shirt tugging (very slight though, don't think it was a penalty, but it's questionable). Hand ball by Pique was blatant - who holds their arm out like that while defending, wtf was that? Same with Eto'o - holding your arm up like that is not natural, it was clearly deliberate. When you turn your back against the ball, you usually tuck your arms in, not flay them out to the side and upwards. Webb was right there to see it too.

Anyways, I doubt the game today will be close, I expect Barca to walk through Chelsea - I hope I am wrong though. I want to see a Mourinho vs Chelsea final.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
all penalties? the first one and the eto'o "handball" would have been amazingly soft. the others would have been more reasonable to give and the pique one certainly should have been given based on the position of his arm.

I don't think the Eto'o one was soft at all. I would expect to see a penalty given for a handball like that, even in the Premier League. Nobody blocks shots with their arms up like that because they know they will concede a penalty. Drogab had a claim as well. Shirt pulling is not allowed, outside the box you'd get a free kick for that.

Slizz

NHL's commissioner Bettman I think it was back in the day ruined the sport for a good decade. Basically right after the dynasties of Colorado, Detroit, and Dallas hockey fell off, then got a resurgence from Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of popularity/star power.

That being said did you see the Florida Panthers comeback to beat the Devils in NJ?! Can't believe it they might win a playoff series after winning a division title.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The only good thing about this goal is the LA fans going nuts. Great to see that in MLS. How does the MLS compare to MLB, NBA and NFL in terms of draw?

MLS had a higher average attendance than the NBA last season. The Sounders help out the numbers a lot and outdraw teams in some of the top football leagues. :)

Stubo

NHL's commissioner Bettman I think it was back in the day ruined the sport for a good decade. Basically right after the dynasties of Colorado, Detroit, and Dallas hockey fell off, then got a resurgence from Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of popularity/star power.

That being said did you see the Florida Panthers comeback to beat the Devils in NJ?! Can't believe it they might win a playoff series after winning a division title.
Yeah the Devils' collapse was amazing. The Pens/Flyers series has been amazing too.

I support the Predators so it's been a great playoffs for me so far. Much more confident than last year, hopefully can take another team out, anything beyond that is a bonus for me.

all penalties? the first one and the eto'o "handball" would have been amazingly soft. the others would have been more reasonable to give and the pique one certainly should have been given based on the position of his arm.
Disagree, the first one is a shirt pull in the box, penalty.

Eto'o had his arms up in the box blocking a shot, penalty.

Kyoufu

That Pique hand-ball is ridiculous.

And a disgrace. A fucking disgrace.

unicef8efqg.gif

dc89

I think we should guess the amount of replies the thread will have had by the final whistle tonight. Why, cause I'm bored at work.

I'm going with 2476

K1LLER7

The only thing burning tonight is my mouth after some Chicken Tiki Taka

tikitaka3q8u70.gif

after all that passing and possesion, they failed to score. Therefore Swansealona are better :)

Coentrao's tackle was stupid and needless. Ball was still in play so it should be a foul/pen.

Top Bottom