• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

FootballFan

lets scrap all this and you get a point for each goal scored

so even if you lose but score you make points.

Football would go insane, fast, the amount of goal scoring opportunities would go through the roof probably as managers would want goals goals goals.

of course, that could also turn into a mess :)

that would mean Man City playing Wolves on the final day(just an example) They just let eachother score 30 goals. Wolves out of relegation, Man City win epl.

I think best point system is:
Win - 3 points
Draw - 1 point
Loss - 0 Points

Pachimari

Come on guys, this is the time of the year we have to keep our composure. Let's not get too pessimistic!

I think we'll have a good game at the Bernabeu. I'm glad we got an away goal at Munich and I think Madrid has the cards to defeat Bayern in Spain.

I'm not worried about the Barca game all that much -- Mourinho will play for a draw and that's probably what we'll get barring a lapse of concentration at the back line.

Yeah I know but being a Madrid fan is deadly to your heart :lol We have one of the best teams in the world but still I'm frightened about playing against big clubs.

LETSSS GOOO MAADRIIIDDD
This is the spirit, Hala Madrid!

I actually feel pretty confident that we will go through to the final. And I'm not nervous about Barca. Wasn't it the last game were we pressured all their 11 men to their own box? That's how we need to play, pressure pressure pressure and go for the win or draw. A loss is not tragic though.

Now I can watch tonight's game without being emotional, I don't care about Chelsea or Barca, I just want us to win the Champions League and beat Bayern. :)

Choc

Banned
that would mean Man City playing Wolves on the final day(just an example) They just let eachother score 30 goals. Wolves out of relegation, Man City win epl.

I think best point system is:
Win - 3 points
Draw - 1 point
Loss - 0 Points

i think what we have now is fine as well

but yeah obviously it would be open to major abuse

Salazar

Vaguely confident we can pump Everton, though.

Unless Ferg decides to rotate. Only changes I want to see are Nani and Clev a bit sooner.

Or Nani starting instead of the People's Favourite.

Keio

For a Finer World
Do any leagues currently use a system that isn't 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss?
I don't think so, it's part of the Laws of the Game now from FIFA.

Actually the article which started this discussion is great: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/05/question-jonathan-wilson-three-points

Re: the current system: I never thought that the team which has a lead is over-incentivized to protect it rather than try and increase it; e.g. when you are 1-0 or 2-1 up, you are more likely to play negative than try and score. So the only incentive that the 3 points pushes teams for is that when the game is tied, it's worth more to try and win it than just defend for a draw.

So... how about a system where:
WIN = 2 points
TIE 1+ = 1 point
TIE 0-0 = 0 points
LOSS = 0 points

Now we'd have a system where a team in the lead is not too worried about a tie, but on the other hand there is no incentive to go and play for a 0-0 at all. Would this affect tactics positively?

Complex issue. I guess what we'd want to have is a system that rewards attacking play and makes it less desirable for a team to try and defend through 90 minutes. In a way the away goal rule is a good example of this: it makes it less interesting for the away team to try and get a 0-0 from the match, even at the risk of conceding. However this is very difficult to factor into a league situation.

Choc

Banned
its not part of the LOTG.

LOTG does not cover how tournaments should be run. However FIFA does stipulate which laws can be changed by a by-law from local associations with permission.

Not many can be.

Hixx

Kieran Richardson believes he found God in Sunderland.

I reckon he finds it every night when he gans home to this, meself.

isPfeYsTZxACl.jpg

Bjärsmyr who we have tried to sign several times hasn't gotten paid by Panathinaikos in 3 months now.
KuGsj.gif

This however means we could get him for free soon, as they are forced to let him go. Greek clubs have really been getting a terrible reputation the last few years. Also looking to bring Christian Poulsen home, both he and Copenhagen said that it would "interesting". Woooh, getting ready for that champions league.

WHO DO WE WANT TO WIN GUYS?!

Everyone but Barca. Even Pepe and Ronaldo holding the CL trophy would feel nice in comparison.

Keio

For a Finer World
its not part of the LOTG.

LOTG does not cover how tournaments should be run. However FIFA does stipulate which laws can be changed by a by-law from local associations with permission.

Not many can be.
In the article Guardian states it is, I honestly don't have any other info: "Fifa made three points for a win part of its Laws of the Game in 1995, and they were adopted worldwide ahead of the 1995-96 season."

But now for the most important thing for today:

VISCA BARCA! Messi will score twice, one from a penalty after he's made a fool out of John Terry :)

And of course for those annoyed by Barca (and others as well), be sure to read the great column from Guardian on the subject: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/13/barcelona-bandwagon-barney-ronay

The Guardian said:
I have been annoyed not so much by Barcelona's relentless pigeon-chested excellence but by the attendant Barça-lifestyle, a wondrous feat of transcontinental marketing that has managed to project this uber-club, a regional superpower of steamrollering ancestral wealth, as simultaneously a kind of balaclava-clad anti-corporate collective. We are not the empire, Barcelona screech. We are not even the rebel alliance. We are the Ewoks! We abjure (most) shirt sponsorship. We are not just better: we are better. And so beyond Catalonia Barcelona are presented as a dreamily styled under-overdo, a high-end footballing brand for people who believe themselves to be above brands, a kind of iPhone football for the wised-up urbanite.

<3 BARCA!

FootballFan

Everyone but Barca. Even Pepe and Ronaldo holding the CL trophy would feel nice in comparison.

Fair enough, I'm just wondering who most people will be rooting for.

I personally would rather have Terry lift the trophy after scoring the winning goal in the 93rd minute in the final of the CL. Which will start a huge English media frenzy about how Terry will win the Euros for England.
And how he should be a player/coach for the National Team at the 2014 WC.(by that time he will already have 2 CL medals and 2 Balon dOrs).

Rather have that than Pepe Lifting CL.

Beat that :p

In case it isn't clear, I am kidding.

Choc

Banned
In the article Guardian states it is, I honestly don't have any other info: "Fifa made three points for a win part of its Laws of the Game in 1995, and they were adopted worldwide ahead of the 1995-96 season."

The guardian is wrong.

I am tested on the LOTG every year and it mentions nothing of the sort.

Stimpy

Hoping Barcelona take it easy on Chelsea tonight, keep it competitive then completely smash them in the 2nd leg so they are totally demoralised for the FA Cup Final against us.

For fucks sake. Panucci has been team leader for Palermo for... like a month. Now Zamparini and him are already having heated arguments. Can't get along with anyone that old shithead.

Keio

For a Finer World
The guardian is wrong.

I am tested on the LOTG every year and it mentions nothing of the sort.
Thanks! Surprising compact, the Laws now that I look at them on the FIFA site.

Regarding tonight's game, I'm mostly worried about Mata because he can exploit the holes in Barca's defense for fast counters. He's the creativity Chelsea has been lacking. My expectation is though that they'll try the Hoddle way of playing like a basketball team: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ea-can-beat-barca-in-champions-league?cc=5739 – how effective will that be will be down to how many chances Barca can finish. I expect at least 10 shots on goal even if Chelsea park the bus.

Choc

Banned
Yes, its very compact which has its problems. Many of the laws are completely open to referee interpretation which is why you see various decisions in various games and hardly consistency between referees.

i don't want it to become like Rugby with 61 laws or something ridiculous like that and a pass rate of 20% for referee candidates.

That said if you become a rugby referee and pass the exam, you are well on the way to higher honors.

Choc

Banned
Wish football commentary was more like the rugby commentary. Phil Kearns calls out shit decisions all day.

smashing referees doesn't cost you broadcast rights in Rugby

in Football, it will

every commentator should be forced to do a referee course, just the theory. To actually learn the rules......

i am so glad they have finally got over the 'must see daylight' between players with offside they used to go on with. It was NEVER EVER the case and it drove me insane.

Many AR's got slammed in the media for no reason because of that

Facism

Supporting Chelsea tonight. They've had a bit of turnaround recently. Going to be some lovely football tonight.

Pachimari

The Real Madrid forum I participate at voted Sami Khedira the best player of our team in the Champions League semi final. At least some DO realize his importance to our game.
Arbeloa, Di Maria and Benzema had a fine game as well.

Some things I didn't understand is, why Di María centrally and Özil at the right in the first half, why didn't he ask Cristiano to track back and why did he sub in Marcelo if he (Mourinho) indeed went for the draw. We had the wrong players in at that point to defend.

I'm still very confident that we are through to the final.

Anyway, today is about Chelsea and FC Barcelona, and I'm gonna watch that.

Top Bottom