• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

sohois

No reason to even offer him a contract for after the Euro's, see how he does and then offer him one seems like the better option. Some might say that he wouldn't accept such a short contract, but I though the whole idea behind an english manger was to get someone who was really dedicated, who loved the country and could look past money, etc. . Surely Hodgson would have accepted such an offer, this is pretty much the dream job for him.

Nyx

Trying to not forget this every week, even if hardly anyone cares. ;)

Last Saturday's game in pictures.
FC Utrecht - NAC Breda 1-3 (1-0)

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

14.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Kyoufu

Nobody would take the England job without a long-term deal. The squad is so lacking that you wouldn't get far in a tournament.

Zabojnik

Pogba has apparently agreed to join Juventus, as has Verratti. For the later, it seems like he's happy to sit behind Pirlo for the next little while which, to be fair, is what he needs as Pirlo's heir. Soak it up, learn from the master, and then step into the role. With Buoy and Gabriel Appelt, Giandonato, Sorensen, Laili, Branescu.... Marotta looks like he has signed the next generation of Serie A stars. Amazing work,

1333036066510.jpg

Is there anything resembling a confirmation about Pogba from ManU? 'Cause we heard it all before.
KuGsj.gif

Great about Verratti. I'd like to see him play though, not 'hide' behind Pirlo. I'm sure he can learn a lot from Andrea da Brescia, but at his age ... You can't beat playing and learning from your own mistakes. I was somewhat disappointed about how Conte forgot all about Marrone this year. Still, fantastic news, if it turns out to be true.

Devil

Was that already posted? Just a quick interview by the German magazine 11Freunde with Noel Gallagher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CcB59SpYCk

The questions translated in the right order:
Favorite Player, Most hated player, biggest moment with City, worst moment, what would need to happen in order for him to never go to City again, which player shpuld never be allowed to go to City, wishes for the match against united, if he was allowed to tackle one player from behind - who?, best fan chant

His answers are in english of course and not translated to german.

Arnie

At least he's English, that's a step forward for the national team as far as I'm concerned. And Redknapp's not exactly miles ahead of him in prestige. Another bonus is his appointment dilutes the optimism that normally surfaces ahead of major tournaments, at least for me.

dc89

Good win tonight but still 2 games left and thank you to the fans the best atmosphere since i'm in england we will fight until the end
@samnasri19

o_O He played and beat Barca with Arsenal. Surely that was a electric atmosphere.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Four years?

They should really do a tournament-to-tournament contract.
National team managers barely get any time with the players. Four year cycles are just about right. Manager continuity and long-termism are the big reasons to why Uruguay and Germany are doing so well.

Kagawa about Lewandowski:
Lewandowski's play style is not playing with other players, he only shoots. He never sees a player in a better position, that's why I hardly get passes from him. But you can't change that, he's that type of a player.

In the first half of the last season, Barrios and I each scored 8 goals. That says all who can play better with me. This season, Lewandowski scored 20 and I scored 13. There's this difference because Lewandowski doesn't play with others.

What the fuck is wrong with that guy? He can't be serious lol

Anyone wants to buy my Kagawa shirt?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
1333036066510.jpg

Is there anything resembling a confirmation about Pogba from ManU? 'Cause we heard it all before.
KuGsj.gif

Great about Verratti. I'd like to see him play though, not 'hide' behind Pirlo. I'm sure he can learn a lot from Andrea da Brescia, but at his age ... You can't beat playing and learning from your own mistakes. I was somewhat disappointed about how Conte forgot all about Marrone this year. Still, fantastic news, if it turns out to be true.

Marrone---------Pogba
----------Verratti-----

Meier

Was that already posted? Just a quick interview by the German magazine 11Freunde with Noel Gallagher:

Favorite Player, Most hated player, biggest moment with City, worst moment, what would need to happen in order for him to never go to City again, which player shpuld never be allowed to go to City, wishes for the match against united, if he was allowed to tackle one player from behind - who?, best fan chant

"They'd have to...well the world would have to end and humanity on this planet would have cease to exist."

Great answer. Stuck with his boy Mario too! No fairweather fandom for Noel, clearly.

Trying to not forget this every week, even if hardly anyone cares. ;)

Last Saturday's game in pictures.
FC Utrecht - NAC Breda 1-3 (1-0)
Are you a Utrecht or NAC supporter?

A lot of attention for the Gallagher brothers lately. Noel sure loves Trollotelli doesn't he. :)

offshore

National team managers barely get any time with the players. Four year cycles are just about right. Manager continuity and long-termism are the big reasons to why Uruguay and Germany are doing so well.

Aye, true. It's just giving England managers long contracts in the past has been part of the problem, especially when things go wrong. Though then again, I guess Hodgson isn't on the same money that Sven/Capello were.

Woah, didn't expect such words from Kagawa. What's the source?
It's from a Japanese article. It's supposed to be this one, maybe JapanGAF can confirm it:
http://www.nikkei.com/sports/column...E0E2E2E2E2E2E2;p=9694E3E0E2E6E0E2E3E2EAE5EBEA

Sooo BD score 16 with Barrios and Kagawa, and 33 with Kagawa and Lewandowski? And he's complaining?

He's pulling a right Samba at the moment.

The 16 were just the first half of the season, though. But Kagawa could have easily scored 16 (or even more) this season if he hadn't played rather shitty at the start of the season. Not that it was his fault after his injury but he can't blame Lewandowski...

dc89

Guy on my Facebook got arrested at City last night. He was handed a flare when City scored and I guess he let it off. He was arrested at half time and then spent 14 hours in a police cell. He has had his season card took off him and he's banned from City until his court date which is in May, so he misses the QPR game.

Why, why would you do that?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
(yesterday) Former AC Milan player Massimo Oddo : I'm going to stop Juventus for Milan. :)

(today) Massimo Oddo injured himself and is going to miss his game with Juve
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Zabojnik

Just watched Juve - Lecce press conference. A journalist with a question about Muntari's goal. A-fucking-gain. Conte was calm as the sea, but you can just feel the rage burning behind his eyes. The explosion is imminent. Popcorn is ready.
KuGsj.gif

Wessiej

Guy on my Facebook got arrested at City last night. He was handed a flare when City scored and I guess he let it off. He was arrested at half time and then spent 14 hours in a police cell. He has had his season card took off him and he's banned from City until his court date which is in May, so he misses the QPR game.

Why, why would you do that?

J.H. Christ, who cares about a flare. Fucking PL

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Just watched Juve - Lecce press conference. A journalist with a question about Muntari's goal. A-fucking-gain. Conte was calm as the sea, but you can just feel the rage burning behind his eyes. The explosion is imminent. Popcorn is ready.
KuGsj.gif

That's exactly what they want, and he won't give it to them ;)

C'mon Conte....just once!

Clegg

Uniteds Midfield 3 of Carrick-Giggs-Scholes had a combined age of 105.

Why would you pick that team to go against Toure and Barry? I still can't fathom it.

We need a new midfield and it looks like we'll have to do it without Pogba.

Wilbur

Banned

Why would you pick that team to go against Toure and Barry? I still can't fathom it.

We need a new midfield and it looks like we'll have to it without Pogba.

Cleverley - Carrick - New guy should be our midfield if we're playing three.

Wilbur

Banned
Also happy for Roy. Never thought he was a bad coach, just a little bit out of his depth at Liverpool. At least he has a chance to do it all again.

Hopefully West Brom get a bright new manager in. I'm looking forward to next year with Lambert, Rodgers, Adkins, McDermott, Martinez... Some good young managers in the PL.

Bo-Locks

We need a new midfield and it looks like we'll have to it without Pogba.

Scholes and Giggs can still make valuable contributions to the team over the course of the season, but they were always going to get overrun in a fast paced game of this nature. I knew it wasn't going to be a good night when I saw that team sheet.

Stimpy

I'm glad they appointed Roy over Harry, just because it puts a bunch of shitty journalists in their place, thinking they could somehow dictate who would be the next England manager.

Scum

Congrats to Roy. Hope he gets the chance to establish something for young talented managers to follow suit. Hope he turfs out most of the old farts and uses the 4yrs to gel the young'uns in...
Edit: Was just about to add what Stimpy just mentioned. :p

Meier

I wonder, were Spurs supporters excited about the possibility of a new manager or what? How are they taking this? The team kinda got fucked over and in the end it was all for naught.

Clegg

Cleverley - Carrick - New guy should be our midfield if we're playing three.

I think we've all given up on Anderson now.

We also need a more creative presence in the middle of the field which is probably where these Kagawa rumours are coming from.

Scum

I wonder, were Spurs supporters excited about the possibility of a new manager or what? How are they taking this? The team kinda got fucked over and in the end it was all for naught.

I won't disregard what 'Arry has done for Spurs but the guy is still tactically inept. In some ways I'm glad he didn't get it, even though I thought he would. But, like Stimpy said, expectations from everyone would have been absurd with him in charge. Hopefully, it will be a stern lesson to 'Arry. Don not forget your duties, regardless.

I hope the press will shut up about Redknapp and 'other candidates' now.

I'm not saying it should be easy for Roy, but it can't be nice when there's this mob mentality surrounding someone else.

Fact is, the guy has international experience and experience all over europe/world - more than many potential names that kept popping up.

Bo-Locks

I think Arry is using the England debacle as an excuse for Tottenham's poor form in the last few months. Tottenham have been in this position many times before at this stage of the season and have failed to follow it through to the end. When it gets tough, Arsenal and Chelsea have the experience and have managed to up their game, but Spurs and Newcastle just aren't at that level yet.

Top Bottom