• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

offshore

^ Yeah, looking at Spurs' recent drop-off in form, I was convinced it was the England distraction, but I didn't realise that Spurs had exactly the same tail off toward the end of last season as well.

Scum

I think Arry is using the England debacle as an excuse for Tottenham's poor form in the last few months. Tottenham have been in this position many times before at this stage of the season and have failed to follow it through to the end. When it gets tough, Arsenal and Chelsea have the experience and have managed to up their game, but Spurs and Newcastle just aren't at that level yet.

Like I said before, he's tactically inept. Ruined a good thing by trying out his "would be" England 4-4-2 tactics with his players at Spurs and failed miserably.

Yen

Congrats to Roy. Hope he gets the chance to establish something for young talented managers to follow suit. Hope he turfs out most of the old farts and uses the 4yrs to gel the young'uns in...
Edit: Was just about to add what Stimpy just mentioned. :p

Burton will be important for future England managers, but I wouldn't be keen on Roy's style of football being used as an example to follow. And this isn't coming from a biased Liverpool fan either. His style of football is boring, defensive and typically English. His style of football has worked well for him, however.
If the FA have a football blueprint, surely they have someone more ambitious in mind. England's style of football doesn't need to be Barca or Spain but even Germany, often seen as one of the industrious nations, have far greater technique.

UEFA has shown today the new design for the CL badge:
9cMV3s.jpg

I kinda like it, but I still prefer the older one.
(yesterday) Former AC Milan player Massimo Oddo : I'm going to stop Juventus for Milan. :)

(today) Massimo Oddo injured himself and is going to miss his game with Juve
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

That's better for Lecce
and us
, actually. :)

bjaelke

Burton will be important for future England managers, but I wouldn't be keen on Roy's style of football being used as an example to follow. And this isn't coming from a biased Liverpool fan either. His style of football is boring, defensive and typically English. His style of football has worked well for him, however.
If the FA have a football blueprint, surely they have someone more ambitious in mind. England's style of football doesn't need to be Barca or Spain but even Germany, often seen as one of the industrious nations, have far greater technique.

England doesn't have the players to play anything but "boring, defensive and typecially English."

Yen

England doesn't have the players to play anything but "boring, defensive and typecially English."

Pretty much. Capello was probably best in the world at boring and defensive, and even he couldn't make it work.
I've just remembered Trap is Ireland boss. Defensive and boring football, fuck yes.

elseanio

UEFA has shown today the new design for the CL badge:
9cMV3s.jpg

I kinda like it, but I still prefer the older one.

That's better for Lecce
and us
, actually. :)

That patch still only for Real, Milan, Liverpool, Ajax and bayern, or does everyone use it (eg United 3, Juventus 2 etc)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wonder, were Spurs supporters excited about the possibility of a new manager or what? How are they taking this? The team kinda got fucked over and in the end it was all for naught.

Eh, it could go either way. Harry has made many mistakes recently but the players have to take some blame as well, we have also had horrible injuries as always. If Harry gets us to 3rd/4th at the end of the season then he will have earned a reprieve. Overall he has been fantastic for the club even if he gets on my tits once in a while.

@samnasri19

o_O He played and beat Barca with Arsenal. Surely that was a electric atmosphere.

Oh DC, you're so naive.

Beaten.

That patch still only for Real, Milan, Liverpool, Ajax and bayern, or does everyone use it (eg United 3, Juventus 2 etc)

Nope, still only for those five teams.

I'm confused. Why only those five teams? Milan and Real Madrid are the only teams who've one it 7+ times.

Anderson

Having problems with EURO 12 on PS3, the subs seemed to stay the same when playing online. Just me or having others got the same problem?

I'm confused. Why only those five teams? Milan and Real Madrid are the only teams who've one it 7+ times.
The patch is awarded to each team that wins three consecutive Champions League or five overall.

The image is from a Milan-related site, so that's the reason behind the "7". Real will have a 9, Liverpool a 5 and so on.

You set some pretty good times in Trials dude!

Ah! I spend at least 45 minutes on each track. I get so frustrated at that damn game though. lol. I keep getting into the top 2-3 at each track but I know where I screw up so I spend more time because I can't string together everything I need to do in one run! I'm OCD in that I must get gold on every track before I can move onto the next track and I can't go out of order. I'm going to die of anxiety when I unlock the platinum medals.

The patch is awarded to each team that wins three consecutive Champions League or five overall.

Oh, the '7' on the patch was deceiving. No one has one back to back Champions Leagues though right? So three consecutive is a hell of a feat.

I think I'm missing something from the old era. I def noticed Ajax won three in a row followed by Bayern winning the next three.

(most important year is 1982 though :p)

Ah! I spend at least 45 minutes on each track. I get so frustrated at that damn game though. lol. I keep getting into the top 2-3 at each track but I know where I screw up so I spend more time because I can't string together everything I need to do in one run! I'm OCD in that I must get gold on every track before I can move onto the next track and I can't go out of order. I'm going to die of anxiety when I unlock the platinum medals.

Oh, the '7' on the patch was deceiving. No one has one back to back Champions Leagues though right? So three consecutive is a hell of a feat.

I think I'm missing something from the old era. I def noticed Ajax won three in a row followed by Bayern winning the next three.

(most important year is 1982 though :p)
Real Madrid won the first five CL edition, plus Ajax and Bayern, as you said.

Clegg

I was talking to a Liverpool fan today who informed me that United are in decline. He took great delight in telling me that Liverpool will seriously be challenging for the title next season and that United will struggle to make top 6.

Joint top of the league while they are 30 odd points below in eight. And we're the ones in decline. Top stuff.

Real Madrid won the first five CL edition, plus Ajax and Bayern, as you said.

I thought I read somewhere talking about how Barcelona should place all their focus on winning the CL this year because no one has ever defended it. Or something.

EDIT: Maybe because it hasn't happened since it began being called the Champions League.

I was talking to a Liverpool fan today who informed me that United are in decline. He took great delight in telling me that Liverpool will seriously be challenging for the title next season and that United will struggle to make top 6.

Joint top of the league while they are 30 odd points below in eight. And we're the ones in decline. Top stuff.

I like the strange connection that if United are in decline then Liverpool will be fighting for the title. Like if United aren't good than Liverpool must be.

EDIT: Who wants to tell me about Red Star Belgrade? I'm glad I have nothing to do but print and file reports today because I am going to be reading up on all this.

Guy on my Facebook got arrested at City last night. He was handed a flare when City scored and I guess he let it off. He was arrested at half time and then spent 14 hours in a police cell. He has had his season card took off him and he's banned from City until his court date which is in May, so he misses the QPR game.

Why, why would you do that?

What a weird thing :-|

My wife was telling me a couple of hours ago that some guy on her facebook got arrested because of the flare thing and all the rest. He's her friend because of zoo world or some other stupid facebook game, that's how she added him as a friend.

We're in Cyprus! Lol. What are the chances? :p

rodvik

Lol, I love it. Still cant blame him for being a fan though. I confidently predicted Villa would be challenging for 6th this season....

dc89

What a weird thing :-|

My wife was telling me a couple of hours ago that some guy on her facebook got arrested because of the flare thing and all the rest. He's her friend because of zoo world or some other stupid facebook game, that's how she added him as a friend.

We're in Cyprus! Lol. What are the chances? :p

LOL. Probably the same guy then.

I thought I read somewhere talking about how Barcelona should place all their focus on winning the CL this year because no one has ever defended it. Or something.

EDIT: Maybe because it hasn't happened since it began being called the Champions League.
Exactly. Since it's called Champions League, every year a different team won it. Last time that happened was between 1988-1990, when Milan won two consecutive "European Champion Clubs' Cup".

Lol, I love it. Still cant blame him for being a fan though. I confidently predicted Villa would be challenging for 6th this season....

We had a squad that feasibly could, especially with how tight the top 7 all are (plus 8-11 aren't that far away). If only we didn't have a manager who thought the word was "tactic" and not "tactics".

Hixx

Fun fact: Roy Hodgson is racist.

In regards to his captain: "I will be searching for the white man for the job"

Clegg

I'd take him. He's a cunt though.

We need a right back, a left back, two centre midfielders, a cheap winger and a striker. I expect an expensive winger.
I'd take Alves too. But at 29 he's too old and will demand astronomical wages.

I think we'll sign a midfielder and a full back but they'll probably only be squad replacements. They'll strengthen our squad overall but have no impact on first 11. So we'll basically be back to where we started.

Kagawa would be a great signing if we could get him. But I have a feeling that we won't even put in a bid for him.

Top Bottom