• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

I think Yann M'Vila was arrested in France too. Accused of assaulting somebody.

Im gonna be so sad when M'Vila goes to Arsenal. Why don't you want him Fergie, why? :(

Wilbur

Banned
It looks like it combines league form and continental-competition form of all the worlds clubs.

Well it's skewed then. I think the CWC is a stupid competition, winning the CL and La Liga told me much more about Barcelona than beating a Korean team and Santos.

sohois

I think relegation is good for Villa. They have been stagnant for years and need rejuvenate their club by making their youth the basis of the club and I think they won't do it unless they relegate and kick out the overpaid aging players that have not cared about the club.

I love Villa because I live in Birmingham and have a lot of friend who are Villa fans, and I think this is the best that could happen to the club.

Haven't Villa been fielding a number of youth players this season? Hardly seems like its done them much good, though of course they could have the best youth system in the world (and it is worth noting that Villa's reserve team has done extremely well this year) but Mcleish would still fuck it up.

Really, it is not the players, whether youth or overpaid and aging, that are the problem, it is purely the manager. Getting rid of Mcleish does not require them to be relegated.

I think relegation is good for Villa. They have been stagnant for years and need rejuvenate their club by making their youth the basis of the club and I think they won't do it unless they relegate and kick out the overpaid aging players that have not cared about the club.

I love Villa because I live in Birmingham and have a lot of friend who are Villa fans, and I think this is the best that could happen to the club.

It is the one thing I cling to if we get relegated.

Haven't Villa been fielding a number of youth players this season? Hardly seems like its done them much good, though of course they could have the best youth system in the world (and it is worth noting that Villa's reserve team has done extremely well this year) but Mcleish would still fuck it up.

Really, it is not the players, whether youth or overpaid and aging, that are the problem, it is purely the manager. Getting rid of Mcleish does not require them to be relegated.

We've only really began playing youngsters recently because of injuries. With that said, playing too many young players at once is no good, and when they are forced to play tactics that won't let them develop they aren't going to get better either. I'm still confident we have a good core group of young players who are going to come good in the next year or two. Especially with it looking like McLeish will not be returning.

Zabojnik

Thanks for the saddening answers :/ Let's see how it pans out..
Yeah, he does seems like he's full of himself. When you signed Diego, he supposedly said something along the lines of: "why would you that if you got me?" lol

/edit
Thanks to you too, Rikkun.

I'm far from being a Giovinco apologist and he's definitely said some - quite a few, actually - selfish and unnecessary things about his time at Juventus. In a way I can almost understand his bitterness, though. He's from Torino, he's a juventino at heart and he made it all the way through the youth selections to the first squad. Against some pretty harsh odds, I might add, given his stature. At one point everybody was calling him 'the new Messi' and if anyone between him, Marchisio, De Ceglie and others from the promising primavera squad was to make ti big, it was him.

Then things took a strange turn. After he and Il Principino returned from Empoli (loan) he just wasn't performing as brilliantly as we had all hoped. Far from it, at times. Some of us began to see his obvious limitations, others went on saying (and they still do!) that Giovinco was never really given a true chance to shine at Juve. The truth, as it usually does, probably lies somewhere in between. Which is why I, a former Giovinco adorer, wouldn't be opposed to his eventual return in bianconero, even though my expectations are set pretty low this time. He *could* be useful, but I really don't see him making it into the starting eleven. Which would probably lead to a new surge of bitterness from his part, seeing how he considers himself worthy of being a titolare at Juve. When you hear his manager say things like "he should only be given attacking tasks", you can't help but think that he really is better off in a mid-table team, where everybody can work for him.

Still, there's Conte and miracles do happen sometimes. Come back, Seba? Eh, why not.
We can always ship him off later.

faridmon

Yes, McLeish is still part of the problem. But they haven't relied on the youth 100% becaus ethey can't afford to. They don't have the experience to compete in PL, but it could be valuable for them to gain it from Championship. The youth team is arguably the best out there, but there is experiene to hgain for those players to reach those hight.

Its too late to get rid of McLeich now. He is going either way, and a relegation/staying up could be a win/win situation.

I still fear that, if they stay up, they will struggle with any manager out there whom Villa could afford.

TrueBlue

Nervous about tonight at the Bridge, if only because I'll be at the cinema while it's on. Newcastle have the players to do us over, so I'm glad Ivanovic is back to hopefully shore things up.

Kyoufu

Nervous about tonight at the Bridge, if only because I'll be at the cinema while it's on. Newcastle have the players to do us over, so I'm glad Ivanovic is back to hopefully shore things up.

What kind of a fan watches Avengers while their team fights for 4th place?!

Shame on you!

Kenka

I don't wanna play down Sporting's recent surge in performance, far from it but that IFFHS list is bullshit.

Plzen above Boca ? Are you fucking playing with my balls ?!

Zabojnik

Damiao's agent:
I know [Juventus director's] Paratici and Marotta much better than Real Madrid's directors-- Juventus is better, I have no doubts."

Is this Damiao good? Like, already really, really good? From what I saw of him, he doesn't really inspire me, but I'm judging from a few YouTube videos, so ...

Wow that's nice.

Also, for Fade, Yurt and Zabo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutWdFkPSRQ

Thanks, but I have it on loop since yesterday. The extended version. The best thing about Conte getting angry is how he suddenly switches from a somewhat clean italian to a slight pugliese accent. :)))

Wilbur

Banned
I haven't watched Nolans Batman movies :/

[spoilert] Even though I loved the Cartoon version of Batman and some of the comics I read[/spoiler]

You are a TURD. They're both very good films.

Also have you seen Blade, Blade 2, Hellboy 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Incredibles, Iron Man, Batman, Batman Returns, Mask Of The Phantasm, Superman, Superman 2 or X-Men 2?

HOW CAN ALL OF THEM BE BAD?!

Kyoufu

I haven't watched Nolans Batman movies :/

Even though I loved the Cartoon version of Batman and some of the comics I read

Get the hell out of here and don't come back until you do!

edit: LOL SPIDER MAN HAHAH I'd rather give Rooney a hand job

faridmon

You are a TURD. They're both very good films.

Also have you seen Blade, Blade 2, Hellboy 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Incredibles, Iron Man, Batman, Batman Returns, Mask Of The Phantasm, Superman, Superman 2 or X-Men 2?

HOW CAN ALL OF THEM BE BAD?!

The only ones I enjoyed greatly in that list was The Incredibles. Pixar are awsome. Spider Movies were terrible, I still don't understand why it was populer and Blade movies, while great,. were kind of meh because Vampires and W. Snipes.
Never liked Superman to begin with, so I never watched any of those movies and Batman is avarge at best. Haven't seen any of the Nolans Batmans so I haven't seen Returns.

Mask of the Phantasm was great, but again, I loved animated Batman series.

Last year I have watched X-men, Thor, Captain America and Ghost Rider this year which were all critically acclaimed. Let me just say, I haven't enjoyed a single one of those. Superheroes movies aren't for me snce they are heavily scripted and predictable. Explosions and eye candy? it gets tiresome and most of them are artificially created that it takes me out of the experience.Plus, the acting sucks in most of those movies.

Get the hell out of here and don't come back until you do!

One Day! I haven't rated the later Nolans movies so maybe that is what is keeping me from watching those!

Edit: fair enough about ghost rider! It was horrible experinece!

Kyoufu

Spiderman is good fun. Got worse with time but it's a solid movie. Spiderman 2 is awesome

You listed the worst stuff man. Superman? Pretty much the worst character design in the world. Laughable how a pair of normal glasses disguise him from worldwide recognition.

And he can't even be killed by anything. Fucking joke.

Iron Man and Nolan's Batman are the only ones I think are "must see". X-men isn't bad.

^^You do know why Superman is the way he is right?

The only ones I enjoyed greatly in that list was The Incredibles. Pixar are awsome. Spider Movies were terrible, I still don't understand why it was populer and Blade movies, while great,. were kind of meh because Vampires and W. Snipes.
Never liked Superman to begin with, so I never watched any of those movies and Batman is avarge at best. Haven't seen any of the Nolans Batmans so I haven't seen Returns.

Last year I have watched X-men, Thor, Captain America and Ghost Rider this year which were all critically acclaimed. Let me just say, I haven't enjoyed a single one of those. Superheroes movies aren't for me snce they are heavily scripted and predictable. Explosions and eye candy? it gets tiresome and most of them are artificially created that it takes me out of the experience.Plus, the acting sucks in most of those movies.

I don't think Ghost Rider was critically acclaimed. http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ghost-rider

confuziz

Banned
r72TUl.jpg

yeaaaa

Wilbur

Banned

Last year I have watched X-men, Thor, Captain America and Ghost Rider this year which were all critically acclaimed. Let me just say, I haven't enjoyed a single one of those.

I've seen all of them but Thor and they're all assfilms. X-Men was shit apart from Fassbender.

The Dark Knight Rises will be the superhero film of forever. Count on it.

It's looking promising

Empty

people keep talking up the avengers as being great and totally worth seeing but then i remember everyone telling me how amazing x-men first class was only for it to be dreadful so i'm sceptical.

Wilbur

Banned
You listed the worst stuff man. Superman? Pretty much the worst character design in the world. Laughable how a pair of normal glasses disguise him from worldwide recognition.

And he can't even be killed by anything. Fucking joke.

Iron Man and Nolan's Batman are the only ones I think are "must see". X-men isn't bad.

I think Superman's a poor character to be fair. I agree with everything you say, but it's a comic book. The fact he can't be recognised with glasses isn't a reason why I dislike it. Superman 1 and 2 are pretty entertaining.

Also what's the flaw in him not being able to be killed by anything? If you're watching a superhero movie you know none of those superheroes are going to die anyway.

faridmon

Speaking of movies: Last night I have watched Salmon Fishing in Yemen with Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt and it was fantastic. I haven't laughed in a romantic comedy this much before.

I know, my tatse is not well recieved here, but I recommend this movie.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
z7NOA.jpg

I loved this. Does it count?

I watch ALL the superhero movies, but it's not for me. It's for my inner-baby Yurt. :p
Spiderman was my childhood hero, I quite enjoyed all three of them to be honest, my inner-baby Yurt was walking around with a boner inside of me.
What the hell am I saying

I'm far from being a Giovinco apologist and he's definitely said some - quite a few, actually - selfish and unnecessary things about his time at Juventus. In a way I can almost understand his bitterness, though. He's from Torino, he's a juventino at heart and he made it all the way through the youth selections to the first squad. Against some pretty harsh odds, I might add, given his stature. At one point everybody was calling him 'the new Messi' and if anyone between him, Marchisio, De Ceglie and others from the promising primavera squad was to make ti big, it was him.

I'm supposed to defend Gio because I'm quite short myself, but fuck me, he's not helping himself at all. His bitch attitude won't get him anywhere, I've seen shorter players defend and track-back like tanks. Look no further than Giakk!

Gio is good. I mean, for Serie A at least? He can be a great asset if we recall him back. And as you said, we can always sell him later to the highest bidder. :p

Wilbur

Banned
Watchmen was good but only because it was the book but with moving images haha. Spiderman 2 isn't as bad as made out but still pretty meh

Exactly. There was no chance of it being bad because the source material is so good and it's literally a frame for frame representation, but that's also it's flaws.

It visually represented it perfectly. But no matter what happens you can never properly convey all the thoughts, feelings, emotions, motives, etc when transferring from book to movie.

So, agreed.

Outsanity

Just sorted myself out with an avatar and shizz and now I feel like it's finally time to get involved with FootyGAF properly, so, hey guys. How do I go about adding myself to the Chelsea list in the OP, PM Fady K?

Posted a few times before, mainly just to express my shock when Torres/Chelsea do something unpredictable/awesome/morally questionable or even 'right' (at the start of the season).

Looking forward to tonight. It's crunch time, hoping we can beat Newcastle, I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't. Torres continuing his current run of form would also make my day.

Wilbur

Banned
Just sorted myself out with an avatar and shizz and now I feel like it's finally time to get involved with FootyGAF properly, so, hey guys. How do I go about adding myself to the Chelsea list in the OP, PM Fady K?

Posted a few times before, mainly just to express my shock when Torres/Chelsea do something unpredictable/awesome/morally questionable or even 'right' (at the start of the season).

Looking forward to tonight. It's crunch time, hoping we can beat Newcastle, I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't. Torres continuing his current run of form would also make my day.

NOT ANOTHER ONE

welcome! Glad we're getting new members

faridmon

Welcome.
I don't like Ironman though :p

Yeah, PM the OP is the right way to add yourself to the supporting list.

Outsanity

NOT ANOTHER ONE

Welcome. I don't like Ironman though :p

Yeah, PM the OP is the right way to add yourself to the supporting list.

Haha, sorry to disappoint! I've lurked for a while but thought it was time to make myself known.

Saw the Avengers the other day, thought RDJ put in a rocking performance so it seemed like a good choice for now. Given a couple of people already use Torres, Mata was a close second, couldn't find a decent image though.

Kyoufu

I think Superman's a poor character to be fair. I agree with everything you say, but it's a comic book. The fact he can't be recognised with glasses isn't a reason why I dislike it. Superman 1 and 2 are pretty entertaining.

Also what's the flaw in him not being able to be killed by anything? If you're watching a superhero movie you know none of those superheroes are going to die anyway.

And this is why I really enjoyed Watchmen. The ending was not what I expected.

The reason why characters face dangerous situations is to heighten suspense and drama so that when they do eventually overcome danger you feel a bond with the character and want them to succeed against the odds. Unfortunately Superman being trapped under a glacier or a crashing plane doesn't do anything for me because it's impossible for the character to be hurt let alone die in that situation.

And that is the reason why Batman will always be superior to Superman.

Yuss! another one.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mino Raiola [The Times] “I don’t know which way it will go between United and Juventus,”

“It could be United. I think Paul is positive about Sir Alex Ferguson. The boy has a difficult situation to make. I will know next week.”

Ecdsf.jpg

edit: Welcome, Outsanity!

Moobabe

Haha, sorry to disappoint! I've lurked for a while but thought it was time to make myself known.

Saw the Avengers the other day, thought RDJ put in a rocking performance so it seemed like a good choice for now. Given a couple of people already use Torres, Mata was a close second, couldn't find a decent image though.

Welcome friend - you'll do well here. I'm out for the evening so I'm missing the game, but I'll be glued to my phone checking the score. We can do it Chelsea-GAF - we just have to believe!

Top Bottom