• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Noirulus

Congrats to Chelsea, your team played some great defense and with a little bit of support from lady luck you guys got a win.

It'll be very difficult to hold Barca off at the Nou Camp, though. Should be a great match!

I just can't believe some of the Barca fans in here are screwing at Chelsea for defending and getting "lucky"?

I would be disappointed in Cesc, Sanchez and Busquets for missing simple chances. I'd be pissed at Valdes for making a hash of Drogba's poor effort.

Carbonox

Fuck off did Chelsea not deserve this. Fuck. Off. Barcelona played like Barcelona does and it didn't work because Chelsea were on the ball (no pun intended). Irrelevant of how poor you might find the football being played by Chelsea during that match, their tactics WERE SPOT ON and Barca had nothing up their sleeves. Chelsea fully deserved the win. Fucking Barca fans.

Socreges

Banned
Good game by Chelsea overall, but they depended on a crossbar, post, and some uncharacteristic misses by Barca. They'll lose in Nou Camp and on aggregate.

LegoArmo

The only way you can deserve to win when you didn't score, is if the ref disallowed a couple of your goals when he shouldn't have.

Football is about putting the ball in the net.

CL final poised to be a La Liga-free zone. For now. Who'd have thought it?

So I ask again...who STILL thinks that AVB should've stayed?

Not to say Chelsea doesn't require rebuilding but the Old Guard have seemingly backed up their dissension on the pitch. AVB tried to change their philosophy too quickly - a whip-lash 180 from powerful, counter-attacking football to high-line, possession play.

They played with 11 defenders at home because they're playing the best team in the world. And they beat them. They beat them the way you have to. Matches like Osasuna a few weeks ago, Barca lost because they were complacent; this is the way you beat them when they're turned on, and Chelsea fully deserved it because Barca didn't score.

I think Chelsea deserved it not for their performance but because of Barca's complacency and stupid misses. They deserved to lose just for that. Chelsea on the other hand hardly created anything and you cant exactly give their defence too much praise considering the amount of goals they should have conceded. If the same is repeated again, odds are Barcelona will not miss those chances and the scoreline would look completely different. You shouldn't judge a performance purely on that

Barce deserved to lose more than Chelsea deserved to win, imo

Kyoufu

Fuck off did Chelsea not deserve this. Fuck. Off. Barcelona played like Barcelona does and it didn't work because Chelsea were on the ball (no pun intended). Irrelevant of how poor you might find the football being played by Chelsea during that match, their tactics WERE SPOT ON and Barca had nothing up their sleeves. Chelsea fully deserved the win. Fucking Barca fans.

Want to eat some chips?

I'll bring the Vinegar cus you got the SAAAAAAAAAALT

The only reason Barca lost tonight was that they missed 4 sitters. All they need to do is take their chances next week, they will surely create as many if not more and so its just a matter of finishing them.
Plus the Nou Camp is twice the size of Stamford Bridge and Barca will play with their wingers wide to stretch the defence.

People act like it's preferable to lose and "look good" while doing so.....fuck that. I want Barca OUT!

Kyoufu

The only reason Barca lost tonight was that they missed 4 sitters. All they need to do is take their chances next week, they will surely create as many if not more and so its just a matter of finishing them.
Plus the Nou Camp is twice the size of Stamford Bridge and Barca will play with their wingers wide to stretch the defence.

Their finishing today was absolutely pathetic. Maybe unlucky with the crossbar in the first 10 minutes but every other chance? Even Carroll would have put them away.

Lunchbox

Banned
madrid need to bring knives over the weekend, fuck them up anyway possible with their reserves, let them get suspensions whatever. you already got that shit league in the bag

then beat bayern and the champions league is yours

Kyoufu

And I am eating a massive plate of Crow tonight. I called it in favour of Barca thrashing Chelsea. Oh man...

Never trust me with predictions :lol

mxgt

Banned
ADkWH.png

Barca :lol :lol

Good game by Chelsea overall, but they depended on a crossbar, post, and some uncharacteristic misses by Barca. They'll lose in Nou Camp and on aggregate.

Most likely, yes. But if Chelsea remain half as lucky as tonight and just manage one away goal, then they should take it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Congrats to Chelsea, your team played some great defense and with a little bit of support from lady luck you guys got a win.

Luck? Only Liverpool fans call bad finishing luck. The chances that Fabregas and Alexis missed were embarrassingly easy.

They tried that today though and Chelsea (quite rightly) weren't interested. Let them go wide and cross the ball by all means. I know it's not that simple but it's a sound basis to work your zonal marking system around when playing Barca.

Lightning

Banned
This Chelsea week of doom I was hoping for hasn't worked out at all. All that is needed now is for chelsea to either win or draw against us and they will have successfully pissed and pooped all over my cornflakes.

So far this has been a poor week for results...

Stimpy

Chelsea played well to keep Barcelona out, though Barca gave them a hand with that all the chances they missed but I'd still make Barca favourites to go through.

Clegg

This is a game where Barca could have done with David Villa.

He would have finished at least 1 of those chances.

Drogba was brilliant this evening. His diving was a bit grating though.

Carbonox

And I am eating a massive plate of Crow tonight. I called it in favour of Barca thrashing Chelsea. Oh man...

Never trust me with predictions :lol

To be fair I expected Barca to smash Chelsea but what do we know. Get the tactics right and you can beat anyone.

Kind of reminds me of the Swanselona vs Newcelona game. We let them pass the ball around like nutters all game on purpose because we knew we were the superior counter-attacking team and what happened? We counter-attacked them to the point of victory. We did not need to do anything else but sit back, defend and watch.

Chelsea did the same. It fucking works. It ain't pretty but it fucking works and is BRILLIANT football where tactics are concerned.

Stimpy

Luck? Only Liverpool fans call bad finishing luck. The chances that Fabregas and Alexis missed were embarrassingly easy.

What Alexis chance are you talking about the one where he tried to chip the keeper? You call that easy, is that you Ronaldo?

Kyoufu

To be fair I expected Barca to smash Chelsea but what do we know. Get the tactics right and you can beat anyone.

Kind of reminds me of the Swanselona vs Newcelona game. We let them pass the ball around like nutters all game on purpose because we knew we were the superior counter-attacking team and what happened? We counter-attacked them to the point of victory. We did not need to do anything else but sit back, defend and watch.

Chelsea did the same. It fucking works. It ain't pretty but it fucking works and is BRILLIANT football where tactics are concerned.

Except Barcelona should have scored at least 2. Chelsea's tactics would have meant nothing if a cunt named Fabregas wasn't using Andy Carroll's shooting boots.

Top Bottom