• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Can we stop pretending Chelsea won the game because of their fantastic defending rather than Barca's Andy Carroll 2011/2012 finishing? They had their chances to go 3 goals up, they didn't take any of them.

edit: What Splatt said.
You're such a clown. Because Barcelona miss some chances that completely takes away from what was clearly a solid defensive display? Cech's save from the free kick Puyol header, Cole's touch that sent the second to last shot on to the post, his line clearance from the Fabregas chip. Cahill and JT's countless great tackles.

Honestly mate, once again, nearly all the guys who talk sense in this thread agree we did what needed doing and defended well, but as per, you come in and talk nonsense.

Barca short passing it around their midfield for 90 min isn't that terrible exciting to watch either.

Chelsea is a team that has been in crisis for a whole season, there's no way they can match Barca in much else than fight and by closing the back completely, AVB already demonstrated that the high line football doesn't work with this aging squad. Luckily the winners never cares about real football, just about winning.
It honestly bores the bollocks off me. I appreciate what they do, I just don't really care for it.

Kyoufu

You're such a clown. Because Barcelona missing some chances completely takes away from what was clearly a solid defensive display. Cech's save from the free kick Puyol header, Cole's touch that sent the second to last shot on to the post, his line clearance from the Fabregas chip. Cahill and JT's countless great tackles.

Honestly mate, once again, nearly all the guys who talk sense in this thread agree we did what needed doing and defended well, but as per, you come in and talk nonsense.

Nah, I'm not trying to take anything away from Chelsea, but look at the highlights. Barca had clear chances of scoring at least 2.

But you can just go ahead and get all defensive as usual.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HvDff.png
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Nah, I'm not trying to take anything away from Chelsea, but look at the highlights. Barca had clear chances of scoring at least 2.

But you can just go ahead and get all defensive as usual.
Well that's exactly what you're doing, what part of "Can we stop pretending Chelsea won the game because of their fantastic defending rather than Barca's Andy Carroll 2011/2012 finishing?" isn't taking it away? All the near chances in the world count for nothing when you don't pull them off.

It's like when people earlier said Chelsea didn't deserve the win because of all the chances and possession Barcelona had. As if forward players have the divine right to score goals. Why shouldn't a team deserve to win because they're team put on a good defensive display? There are two sides to the game. Forward players don't just pull the trigger and off it goes, there are any amount of reasons players miss opportunities, and I would put a few of Barcelona's tonight down to the defensive pressure they were under.

Edit: and as for getting defensive. It's only because so many of your posts are crud. You make nonsense comments and talk rubbish so often. I've read so many bothersome comments from people on here before, usually the Spurs fans, comments that really bug me. But you know what? When they make a good points and are correct, you concede. I pull a lot of the stuff you say about Chelsea up because so much of it is tripe.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't know. I'm for an entertaining 90 minutes rather than a passive display of submissive defense. Maybe my opinion will change after the Camp Nou leg though :)

Seriously, I don't want to take anything away from Chelsea. It was a great defensive performance. My worry is that if that becomes the way to lift a trophy, will it encourage even more catenaccio than "real football" (please note the quotes). What's the goal of the game anyway, at that point.
To make more goals than the opposing team. Always.

Also, I know, fighting games (lol), but Sirlin's thoughs on competitive gaming also apply for this type of "unreal football": http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

GQman2121

Banned
We scored a legit goal. There's no getting around that. The build up was textbook. Barca just didn't score. End of story. It was an entertaining match and the second leg should be great. What more could you ask for?

Dibbz

Is Drogba out of contract at the end of this season? To let him go on a free would be crazy for Chelsea. Is he going to sign a new one anytime soon?

Is Drogba out of contract at the end of this season? To let him go on a free would be crazy for Chelsea. Is he going to sign a new one anytime soon?

He's 34 years old and has really not been that impressive for a long time except the recent few games. Apparently he rejected a new contract late last year and it's probably for the better, I love the guy but he's old and in a time where Chelsea needs to put their money on a new younger forward, really in a time where Chelsea needs fresh blood in nearly every line on the team.

From what I understand he wants a minimum contract of 2 years. The club it seems don't want to offer him that and would like to keep him on 1 year contracts. I can understand that, and honestly, I think Drogba should go for it.

Blackhead

Redarse
When I try and do that shit online in fifa I always end up accidentally giving it away.
LLShC.gif

Haha, yeah me too. What formation do you use? I give up more dangerous chances when I try to hold on to the ball than instead of trying to score and then having all my players in place to defend a goal kick or throw-in. Sometimes though the opponent plays right into my hands by pushing so many of his players into attack that I can just knock it around my midfield with no pressure. Those are the best end games, especially when the opponent gets so frustrated that he quits.

Anyone else had their game play affected by FIFA allowing custom formations in head-to-head mode?

GQman2121

Banned
From what I understand he wants a minimum contract of 2 years. The club it seems don't want to offer him that and would like to keep him on 1 year contracts. I can understand that, and honestly, I think Drogba should go for it.

This is accurate. He wants more than a one year deal. He'll likely sign for one more year in the summer. But we need to sign someone who is the future.

Kyoufu

Well that's exactly what you're doing, what part of "Can we stop pretending Chelsea won the game because of their fantastic defending rather than Barca's Andy Carroll 2011/2012 finishing?" isn't taking it away? All the near chances in the world count for nothing when you don't pull them off.

It's like when people earlier said Chelsea didn't deserve the win because of all the chances and possession Barcelona had. As if forward players have the divine right to score goals. Why shouldn't a team deserve to win because they're team put on a good defensive display? There are two sides to the game. Forward players don't just pull the trigger and off it goes, there are any amount of reasons players miss opportunities, and I would put a few of Barcelona's tonight down to the defensive pressure they were under.

Edit: and as for getting defensive. It's only because so many of your posts are crud. You make nonsense comments and talk rubbish so often. I've read so many bothersome comments from people on here before, usually the Spurs fans, comments that really bug me. But you know what? When they make a good points and are correct, you concede. I pull a lot of the stuff you say about Chelsea up because so much of it is tripe.

I don't recall saying anything about Chelsea today that was tripe. You're just defensive, but that's understandable since we're all defensive of our own teams.

For example, I say Barcelona didn't put away their numerous chances, and you jump on me for saying that? Come on...

Clegg

Drogba has been pretty poor this season.

And he is getting old for a top class striker.

Offering a long term contract to an aging, out of form player doesn't make much sense.

Dibbz

He's 34 years old and has really not been that impressive for a long time except the recent few games. Apparently he rejected a new contract late last year and it's probably for the better, I love the guy but he's old and in a time where Chelsea needs to put their money on a new younger forward, really in a time where Chelsea needs fresh blood in nearly every line on the team.

Chelsea would be crazy to let him go like this. He actually scores goals and can hold the ball well up front on his own. Don't trust anyone at Chelsea to bring in a decent striker these days.

Ah well Chelsea fans better enjoy this whilst it last because RDM is probably going to get sacked in the summer even after his amazing spell.

Kyoufu

Ah well Chelsea fans better enjoy this whilst it last because RDM is probably going to get sacked in the summer even after his amazing spell.

I hope not :/ RDM has done a marvellous job, he seems to love the boys and they respect him. Keep him.

I don't recall saying anything about Chelsea today that was tripe. You're just defensive, but that's understandable since we're all defensive of our own teams.

For example, I say Barcelona didn't put away their numerous chances, and you jump on me for saying that? Come on...
To which it was argued that the reason for this was Chelsea's defence, but you said nay, and made that comment I quoted above. A team like Barcelona don't have 70% possession and 20 more shots than their opponents and only fail to win because of a few missed "sitters" (which it's hard to call given the pressure these players are under) they were kept out with some top defending. If we hadn't of defended well the so called easy chances wouldn't have mattered in the end because Barcelona would have scored 10 more.

Clegg

Chelsea would be crazy to let him go like this. He actually scores goals and can hold the ball well up front on his own. Don't trust anyone at Chelsea to bring in a decent striker these days.

Thats the very problem. He isn't scoring as many goals anymore.

He only scored 13 in all competitions last season and he only has 11 or 12 this season.

Dibbz

Thats the very problem. He isn't scoring as many goals anymore.

He only scored 13 in all competitions last season and he only has 11 or 12 this season.

Who is Chelsea's top goal scorer this season? Mata? Honestly out of the lot, Drogba seems to contribute a hell of a lot even if he doesn't score. To let him go on a free is madness.

Kyoufu

To which it was argued that the reason for this was Chelsea's defence, but you said nay, and made that comment I quoted above. A team like Barcelona don't have 70% possession and 20 more shots than their opponents and only fail to win because of a few missed "sitters" (which it's hard to call given the pressure these players are under) they were kept out with some top defending. If we hadn't of defended well the so called easy chances wouldn't have mattered in the end because Barcelona would have scored 10 more.

That's actually true. Wasn't it the same story in 2009 (not counting the 90th minute goal by Iniesta)? Aside from the crossbar in the first 10 or so minutes that denied them the goal they were pretty much put on pressure. Chelsea did defend valiantly despite those few opportunities that Barcelona had.

Seems like Chelsea is Barcelona's kryptonite. They can put 5 or 6 past Real Madrid in a Clasico but when it comes to Chelsea in CL they sweat bullets. Not even going to bother predicting the outcome of the Arsenal game on Saturday or the 2nd leg next week. Though if you tell me Chelsea are going to win it all then I'm not going to be surprised.

Keep RDM.

Who is Chelsea's top goal scorer this season? Mata? Honestly out of the lot, Drogba seems to contribute a hell of a lot even if he doesn't score. To let him go on a free is madness.
The truth is he doesn't. He sometimes turns up for games like tonight, Spurs semi, and Napoli game. The rest of the time he stands about and looks disinterested.

This season Drogba has (I think) 11 goals and 3 assists. Torres is sitting on 8 goals and 14 assists. Torres is actually a pretty good team player and arguably offers more than Drogba. It's half the reason I don't think we'll get rid of Fernando. They're both in poor form by their standards, but currently Torres offers more to the team and when he's off the ball fights, he's also younger. I think the hope of a Torres come good is at present is a better prospect than Drogba, given how things are.

That's actually true. Wasn't it the same story in 2009 (not counting the 90th minute goal by Iniesta)? Aside from the crossbar in the first 10 or so minutes that denied them the goal they were pretty much put on pressure. Chelsea did defend valiantly despite those few opportunities that Barcelona had.

Seems like Chelsea is Barcelona's kryptonite. They can put 5 or 6 past Real Madrid in a Clasico but when it comes to Chelsea in CL they sweat bullets. Not even going to bother predicting the outcome of the Arsenal game on Saturday or the 2nd leg next week. Though if you tell me Chelsea are going to win it all then I'm not going to be surprised.

Keep RDM.
You see now we have an understanding. I'd hate to think I think so just because you're agreeing with me, but I can't help but think I'm right on this one. I wouldn't say we're their kryptonite, we just seem to know how to stifle them, if you can call tonight's stats stifling. The reason I defend our defensive performance tonight so much is because I've watched lesser teams waltz through our back line this season, and had we been any less on our game Barcelona would of murdered us. But as it went, other than a few occasions when they wriggled through, most of their 25 or so efforts were dealt with. There's no point in us or any other team trying to play them at their own, because we can't do it.

Clegg

They wouldn't have gotten much money for him even if he had an extra year on his contract. No club is going to pay a lot for a 34 year old striker.

The big sticking point is the length of the contract. Chelsea don't want to offer him a 2 year deal in case his abilities decline even more. Drogba wants nothing less than a 2 year deal.

In the league :

Lampard 11
Sturridge 10
Mata 6
Drogba 5

As has already been said a few times : Drogba has looked rather bad for most of the season and not just with goals, hasn't done much for the team either. He shouldn't get a two years extension especially with Chelsea needing younger players on the team, can't have some angry 36 year old on the bench then.

Sloosha

Lampard I think.

Interested about what we do about the striker situation in the summer. Lukaku will probably go on loan for the year, and Sturridge, who knows if he will be given a chance. Then there's Torres...

JWong

Banned
I think I want Drogba's jersey, but I'll wait til the madness ends.

I don't think I'll get Mata's jersey. I'd rather get someone who has been legendary for the team.

Dibbz

They wouldn't have gotten much money for him even if he had an extra year on his contract. No club is going to pay a lot for a 34 year old striker.

The big sticking point is the length of the contract. Chelsea don't want to offer him a 2 year deal in case his abilities decline even more. Drogba wants nothing less than a 2 year deal.

Wasn't a Chinese club interested? I'm sure they could get something for him. Ah well whatever, will be funny to see Torres trying to lead the line for an entire season.

Wasn't a Chinese club interested? I'm sure they could get something for him. Ah well whatever, will be funny to see Torres trying to lead the line for an entire season.
I think Torres will do the business if we get a few good players in.

To put it this way, it doesn't surprise me he's been poor here since we got him.

KateBush dontgiveup

Llorente is ouuuuuuuuuurs, Clegg.
Rumours he's going to City.

sneaky77

I have a hard time seeing Chelsea being able to keep Barcelona from scoring 2 games on a row.. some poor finishing today by Barca and a lucky Chelsea goal the game pretty much went the way I expected to go.. and it was pretty boring but what ya gonna do.

I think Barcelona is still favourites but they need to score an early goal next week to get chelsea a little nervous.

also Drogba is a fucking disgrace.. as much as people say about biscuits from Barcelona.. Drogba is pretty bad with the diving and faking..

Top Bottom