• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I seem to recall Messi frequently being isolated with not too many options around him, so he had to go alone on a fair few occasions.

Ironically him going it alone was him at his best. I don't understand why he doesn't try those runs more often, incredible close control. There were 3 occasions tonight, perhaps less, where he had 10 yards of grass in front of him and he just ran at it like a tank. He would drop men twice his size on the floor without even touching them

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
^ this. Messi wasnt amazing today, but when someone made the run he gave it to them, too bad there was no room for runs.
All the players up front seemed isolated. Will be interesting to see if the same happens in the 2nd leg. I can just sooo see it ending 0-0.
Sprinklers v. 2012

edit: Carlos Darwin Quintero had the first one for Santos. He should have been more selfish there.

offshore

Messi wasnt amazing today, but when someone made the run he gave it to them, too bad there was no room for runs. All the players up front seemed isolated

Yeah, that's what I thought I remembered. Credit to Chelsea for that. Even though he can like Jason says, there was no way Messi was going to make a fool out of Chelsea's defence tonight: they had enough of them behind the ball, after all. lol

Fry

He was my favorite Sporting player. He came to us just a few years after I really started following soccer so I practically grew up watching him play. What an amazing player.

Cool!

You didn't watch Libertadores match Corinthians x Deportivo Tachira by any chance?

It was 4 nil to Corinthians and they got a penalty. The crowd asked for Liedson to take, so he did. He hit the post and then scored haha.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Cool!

You didn't watch Libertadores match Corinthians x Deportivo Tachira by any chance?

It was 4 nil to Corinthians and they got a penalty. The crowd asked for Liedson to take, so he did. He hit the post and then scored haha.
6 nil. Biggest score difference in the tournament so far.

Cruz Azul won 4-1 against Táchira and are qualified for the next round too. Congrats, Verano.

feel

You forgot Stoke.

Did anybody else enjoy the moment when Puyol showed JT his sore hand (which he later had bandaged) and JT just squeezed it. I laughed quite hard. Also, Puyol took it quite well. I do like Puyol.

ieh7vsqIMz2X9.gif
Loved that moment. Puyol is one of the few genuinely likeable guys left on Barcelona.

AlexBasch

Fuck yeah Suazo! We're gonna miss him on the next game, though. ):

Humberto Suazo scores the first one for Monterrey. He should have been sent off for a dangerous challenge five minutes ago. :/
Agree, it was foolish of him to do that. He was insanely lucky to not getting sent off. x__x

I always get tense at Santos v Rayados matches, they're one hell of a team and all of Monterrey wins against them take a lot of effort, even after Benitez they still have a great attack.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Agree, it was foolish of him to do that. He was insanely lucky to not getting sent off. x__x

I always get tense at Santos v Rayados matches, they're one hell of a team and all of Monterrey wins against them take a lot of effort, even after Benitez they still have a great attack.
Hércules Gómez > Benítez, though I don't know what the fuck he has been thinking tonight.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
lolol Santos lololol

Club Deportivo Humberto Suazo 2 - 0 Santos

The sad thing about this is that Vucetich is gonna play catenaccio in the 2nd leg and it's gonna be a shitty final because of that.

TeegsD

Cool!

No I didn't but its nice to hear that the fans appreciate him just as much as many Sporting fans.

Choc

Banned
They'll charge money for a squad/kits update, typical EA.

I actually think this is a positive. Rather then a full price new disc, they are updating FIFA 12 with Euro tournaments etc

its not just names and kits, its like the old euro games, so own modes etc and possibly improvements to animations etc etc.

its 16 pounds which is cheaper than what a brand new full disc would have been, and by quite a margin i think.

It's a step in the RIGHT direction if you ask me rather than a cash in.

"The expansion pack gives you the opportunity to compete for the EURO 2012 title. But players won't be restricted to just the teams that successfully qualified for the tournament - all 53 UEFA member national teams are present, as are the 8 official stadiums that will host the championship in Poland and Ukraine this summer. "

neoanarch

Why do I keep mixing them together?

Chivas' embarrassment has taken a toll on me.

I'm not exactly sure we need that many reinforcements anyway. The team was doing fine when we had a competent coach, we just needed to get our shit together in front of goal. Of course everything has gone to hell so we have to start almost from zero now, but the whole disaster could have been avoided had Güero Real stayed at his job.

massive post count today but luckily it took me straight here,

Yeah. Chivas do need to make some signings. While they're at it sell Fierro, Torres and Chaton/Fabian.

The first three need another year in a youth system. Fabian needs to move to Europe if he wants national team call ups.

rodvik

^ this. Messi wasnt amazing today, but when someone made the run he gave it to them, too bad there was no room for runs.
All the players up front seemed isolated. Will be interesting to see if the same happens in the 2nd leg. I can just sooo see it ending 0-0.

To be fair to Messi he was playing fairly well till he got that groin strain just before the goal, in fact it was because he was still trying to run that off that he gave the ball away which led to the goal.

I dont think Barcelona have much to beat themselves up over. That was a very one sided game with Chelsea punishing a rare Messi error for the goal.

elsk

Banned
I actually think this is a positive. Rather then a full price new disc, they are updating FIFA 12 with Euro tournaments etc

its not just names and kits, its like the old euro games, so own modes etc and possibly improvements to animations etc etc.

its 16 pounds which is cheaper than what a brand new full disc would have been, and by quite a margin i think.

It's a step in the RIGHT direction if you ask me rather than a cash in.

"The expansion pack gives you the opportunity to compete for the EURO 2012 title. But players won't be restricted to just the teams that successfully qualified for the tournament - all 53 UEFA member national teams are present, as are the 8 official stadiums that will host the championship in Poland and Ukraine this summer. "

Nope, no new animation or gameplay changes.
Own modes? You can create a tournament in the game already. They're just updating squads and kits and well adding some stadiums.

I would rather get a complete game (XBLA/PSN) with new features in gameplay.

Lightning

Banned
I dont think Barca have much to worry about provided they don't conceed a goal in the 2nd leg. They are certainly capable of scoring 2 goals against Chelsea. They should have scored at least 2 in this mornings game... Damn you Fabregas, you missed a sitter...

Choc

Banned
Nope, no new animation or gameplay changes.
Own modes? You can create a tournament in the game already. They're just updating squads and kits and well adding some stadiums.

I would rather get a complete game (XBLA/PSN) with new features in gameplay.

and pay 3x as much?

Blablurn

mario gomez scored 40 goals in 46 games this season.

it's really easy to hate the way he plays but damn, he scores. the thing is, with a little bit more ball control he could be even better.

yogloo

I dont think Barca have much to worry about provided they don't conceed a goal in the 2nd leg. They are certainly capable of scoring 2 goals against Chelsea. They should have scored at least 2 in this mornings game... Damn you Fabregas, you missed a sitter...

They should have scored 3 or 4, which is why the tears are so salty. :9

I thought Messi played really well last night. He was slicing through Chelsea's defense at will.

Blackhead

Redarse
Err.. Mourinho era, Rijkaards Barca won 2-1 in Stamford Bridge (Motta own goal, Terry own goal and Eto'o scoring the winning header)

Wiki link
That link jogged my memory; I had forgotten that Barca's path to the '06 title was filled with so many good defensive displays. Barca played a match that ended nil-nil in both the quarterfinal and semifinal stages. (Arsenal topped that by playing a third match, in the first knockout round, that also ended nil-nil). Of course no one really cares how they won once it was added to their collection...

panty

Dani Alves proves he is a cunt

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4265470/It-all-got-Messi-at-Barca-hotel.html

TLDR;

Fan ran into messi in team hotel in London. Had messi shirt wanted signature. Messi was going to do it and got pen, Alves went nuts going NO NO NO NO and then all the barca players came out and started getting all rowdy

WTF

FUCK BARCA

In before Sun is a trash mag etc etc, white knights coming to rescue.

It seems there was some sort of a "clash" but they might've been drunk. Who knows, who cares, that's stupid. Alves is a cunt, nothing new here.

Top Bottom