• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just got back from the bar we were watching the game at.
Chelsea did amazingly well, especially in defense, though they did get very lucky.
Drogba needed to spend less time on the floor, though a few of those times the "injuries" did seem genuine (that knock to the balls, oof).

Can't wait for next week though I still see Barca going through, I think Chelsea can do it, I just find it hard to see them scoring and Nou Camp.

FootballFan

oops double post sorry

Can't wait for next week though I still see Barca going through, I think Chelsea can do it, I just find it hard to see them scoring and Nou Camp.

I am having the same feeling I had against Inter(after the first leg). It's possible, but I don't see Barca getting through unfortunately. :( I hope I am wrong. Chelsea score once and we will need to score 3..

rififi

I dunno. I heard "Carefree" being sang a few times. One Step Beyond played at the end as well. But no, that is not all we chant, and there are hymms to sing. I think most Chelsea fans were so preoccupied with biting their nails that it kinda became hard to focus on chant variety.

In any case, we do have a decent collection of chants and songs to sing. Keep the Blue Flag Flying High, Ten Men Went to Mow, Celery, Fuck 'Em all (seriously), Blue is the Colour, Blue Day,,,you get the picture. I find that most fans stick with only a couple of chants throughout matches anyway, "Arsenal, Arsenal" or "United, United" are pretty frequent from what I see at their grounds. That's not a slight on their fans either, I just think that's the way things go nowadays.

Anyway, great result for us, obviously. But Barca should have scored at least twice and I still consider them favourites. Gonna have to keep riding this wave of luck and hope we don't wipe out before next Tuesday. Put in a similar performance and we might just make it. Maybe.

Up the Chels!

I see, I thought I heard some other chants (a few Barca ones as well), but wasn't sure. I can't get the other one out of my head though, but that would be the same for any repetitive chant (I had the Arsenal one you mentioned stuck too).

Randdalf

chelsea, CHELSEA, CHELSEA . . . . . CHELSEA, CHELSEA, chelsea

I'm not very familiar with Chelsea, but is that the only thing people chant? aren't there any hymns to sing?

They did better than they did in Chelsea vs Portsmouth in the FA Cup that's for sure. During that game they managed to get off one weak "Chelsea, chelsea..." and nothing else. At one point this man stood up at the front of the upper tier (in the corner near the Pompey fans) and was screaming his lungs out trying to get the Chelsea supporters to sing, and failed miserably. Portsmouth fans took note and replied with "There's only one of you singing".

That game was right in the middle of the John Terry racism row as well, so there were some delicious chants from the Portsmouth fans, with some funny Torres ones thrown in as well: "We'll take you on loan, WE'LL TAKE YOU ON LOAAANNN, FERNANDO TORRES, we'll take you on loan... you'll sit on the bench, YOU'LL SIT ON THE BEEENNCCHH, FERNANDO TORRES, you'll sit on the bench"

If Busquets had buried that chance in the 93rd minute, there would be a completely different mood surrounding Chelsea and their tactics.

Having said that, if Chelsea do score at the Camp Nou, Barcelona will need 3. I wouldn't be confident of them getting three on the night

Facism

TrueBlue

Unfortunately the atmosphere at Chelsea has dulled compared to days of old, at least according to my dad. I would put it down to all the fans that suddenly appeared after 2005 but that would be facetious. I mean, there was a pretty good atmosphere tonight, but we were playing Barcelona. I want that atmosphere every week without fail. Oh well...

Still, I've been to two Community Shield games and the atmosphere was pretty good on our end. Very flip-flop.

elsk

Banned
1334685983_440981_1334690222_album_normal.jpg

1334685983_440981_1334694473_album_normal.jpg

tumblr_m2n1ugPLo81qiz6xvo1_500.jpg

So good.

Blackhead

Redarse
indeed.

Thankfully the Galatasaray fans love him. I'd post videos but then i'd be breaking the racist anti-turk bias that likes to float around from people with inherited prejudices against people they don't even know. I'd rather not relieve them of such a personal shortcoming.
... wtf?

Messi

Man my phone keeps getting messages from people jeering me about the loss. This shit hurts. None of them chelsea fans either. Just people who want to hate on me for liking Barca.

:/

All I said after the game was 'Well done Chelsea'. I am too gutted to say anything else. Yet these fuckers keep texting me.

Clegg

Man my phone keeps getting messages from people jeering me about the loss. This shit hurts. None of them chelsea fans either. Just people who want to hate on me for liking Barca.

All I said after the game was 'Well done Chelsea'. I am too gutted to say anything else. Yet these fuckers keep texting me.

Turn off your phone.

GQman2121

Banned
Are Galatasaray supporters giving Eboue shit or is it opposing clubs? Because I wouldn't be so quick to label everyone as racist if it was the latter. I can totally imagine the clubs Galatasaray face treating him that way. He's an easy target in that part of the world.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are Galatasaray supporters giving Eboue shit or is it opposing clubs? Because I wouldn't be so quick to label everyone as racist if it was the latter. I can totally imagine the clubs Galatasaray face treating him that way. He's an easy target in that part of the world.
... wtf?

GorillaJu

Pretty lame of them. Ignore it if you can.

Chelsea look to have been very lucky in this first leg. If Barça scuff only 50% of their chances in the second, it'll still be an easy win.

Do it, Barça!

My father works at a school and he takes bets with the kids where he has to wear Copenhagens jersey if they win over them. Having him come and ask to borrow my Copenhagen jersey nearly every time we play Brøndby and then see the kids at his school tag him on photos on facebook with him wearing it is one of those things that just makes me happy for weeks.

My point being that seeing people suffer when their team lose is half the greatness of winning.

Clegg

Might just do that. I would not mind but even you guys know. I am not the jeering type, I don't rub shit into teams when they lose against barca.

These things always happen.

I get shit texted to me when my team loses game.

I once got subbed off after 20 mins in a game because I broke my finger. It didn't stop my mates from taking the piss out of me when my team lost.

Messi

Pretty lame of them. Ignore it if you can.

Chelsea look to have been very lucky in this first leg. If Barça scuff only 50% of their chances in the second, it'll still be an easy win.

Do it, Barça!

I know it sounds whiney. But our finishing was crap tonight. I feel the rain affected the finishing (yes both teams have to play in it) I am not making excuses. I just think that if it was not raining tonight. Some of those chances would have been in the net. Also there would be alot less slipping :p.

That pedro shot at the end, pitty it did not sneak in, it was a lovely shot. Nice to have pedro coming back into form.

Edit: Would have loved to have Villa tonight. Ah well mid may, hopefully.

I see, I thought I heard some other chants (a few Barca ones as well), but wasn't sure. I can't get the other one out of my head though, but that would be the same for any repetitive chant (I had the Arsenal one you mentioned stuck too).
All teams are like this, the only chants I ever notice from any team are the boring as fuck repetitive ones. I put it down to not knowing other teams list of chants so I don't pick up on them.

As for the game...

This thread has been full of so many ifs and buts post match. If Barcelona had of scored there would of been a different attitude about Chelsea's game plan etc. Well they didn't. If your granny had balls she'd be your granda as people in my neck of the woods like to say.

I never expected anything from tonight's game, I sure didn't expect a win, but we came out and we done exactly what we needed to. People can talk about luck all day, but let's not deny we had some top class defending on show. Cahill, JT and Cole had great games, Ivan wasn't too shabby either. We were never going to beat them at their own game, so we played negative football. I know a low of people don't like such tactics, but there's a time and place for it and it can be effective.

The two passes leading to the goal were great. Drogba, for all his rolling around (which was getting on my nerves) put in a good shift.

I don't expect us win the second leg. I think if we're lucky we can stand behind the ball all night and go for the draw.

Honestly, winning has give me sort of a weird feeling. I now sort of believe we can do it, and it feels like I'm building myself up to be knocked down. Even if we do get beat I'm happy we were able to keep them at bay at the Bridge. Not bad for a team who by our standards have had a poor season and are sitting at 6th.

GorillaJu

As far as the chants go, you can hear at least 4 or 5 different chants through the TV every time Liverpool plays.

YNWA, Poor Scouser Tommy, Fields of Anfield Road, Suarez song I hear at least once each every game, home or away

Looks like we brought in a new 16 year old who rejected City. Good taste, young'n

So they got some cool boob physics going on in games. Fifa needs that ass physics NOW

jHTaBHLjINzAF.png
FIFA 13 collision engine side by side with Ivans ass physics. With dedicated PhysX support on PC.

As far as the chants go, you can hear at least 4 or 5 different chants through the TV every time Liverpool plays.

YNWA, Poor Scouser Tommy, Fields of Anfield Road, Suarez song I hear at least once each every game, home or away

Looks like we brought in a new 16 year old who rejected City. Good taste, young'n
Yeah but you support Liverpool so that's why you pick up on them. As I say, the only chants I can recall from other teams are, chanting the club name, or the odd secondary one like YNWA, but it's because they're pretty recognisable. When you start getting in to the club songs, few people are really going to pick up on them. At least that's how I always feel about it.

Keio

For a Finer World
The good? Neither one of the CL semis decided on the first round. No drama about referees and no uefalona bullshit.

The bad? Park the bus, counter-attack football prevailing; is that going to be the only way to beat a positive, attacking team?

Wilbur

Banned
The good? Neither one of the CL semis decided on the first round. No drama about referees and no uefalona bullshit.

The bad? Park the bus, counter-attack football prevailing; is that going to be the only way to beat a positive, attacking team?

Nope. It's the way to beat Barcelona

Nope. It's the way to beat Barcelona

Well for Chelsea it is. Pressing up and stressing them can work quite well too, gotta be in great shape though to not get tired after 90 min but you can force quite a few (especially Puyol) to carelessly throw it away when put under pressure.

Wilbur

Banned
Well for Chelsea it is. Pressing up and stressing them can work quite well too, gotta be in great shape though to not get tired after 90 min but you can force quite a few (especially Puyol) to carelessly throw it away when put under pressure.

The only times I've seen them lose recently is when it's obvious they're complacent. Like today, they were wasteful and not at the top of their game.

They'll win on Saturday and next week (might not go through though, or win La Liga) because they HAVE to play their best

Can't believe Chelsea are going to win the CL.

Not surprised. You still can't even believe wolves could draw against another mediocre team.

The only times I've seen them lose recently is when it's obvious they're complacent. Like today, they were wasteful and not at the top of their game.

They'll win on Saturday and next week (might not go through though, or win La Liga) because they HAVE to play their best

Don't watch a lot of la liga to be honest but it always seems to me like Barca needs a lot of chances to score. Usually they just make a hell lot of chances to make up for it.

There's nothing wrong with it though. People seem to have this idea that how Barcelona play is the only way to do it, that is football. But it's not, football comes in many forms, not everybody can play like they do. We could never of went head to head with Barcelona tonight and played them at their own game. So what we did do was come out play "negative", and I don't agree with the term negative, I just use it because people understand it.

I watched the game with my brother and then watched the highlights with my dad. My dad sits their and comments about how, even though Chelsea won, Barcelona play the better football and their build up is so much nicer than Chelsea's. Now I agree with that 100%, but they didn't score and we did. Tactics are tactics, and style of play is part of that.

Why should teams be expected to go out and play "positive" for the sake of playing positive if it's not a great tactic (which it wouldn't of been for us tonight) or if you just can't play that way?

Hypothetically, if we end up beating Barcelona with our negative football, then we've done what we set out to do, win. And that's what matters. As somebody said earlier in this thread, I'd rather be a Chelsea fan tonight, having watched my team defend to the death and play negative and won, than be a Barcelona fan who watched my team play with all the positivity in the world and go home defeated.

There's no right or wrong way to play football... other than with your hands.

Keio

For a Finer World
I don't know. I'm for an entertaining 90 minutes rather than a passive display of submissive defense. Maybe my opinion will change after the Camp Nou leg though :)

Seriously, I don't want to take anything away from Chelsea. It was a great defensive performance. My worry is that if that becomes the way to lift a trophy, will it encourage even more catenaccio than "real football" (please note the quotes). What's the goal of the game anyway, at that point.

Let's see if we get an answer over two legs. Maybe it will satisfy everyone.

Kyoufu

Can we stop pretending Chelsea won the game because of their fantastic defending rather than Barca's Andy Carroll 2011/2012 finishing? They had their chances to go 3 goals up, they didn't take any of them.

edit: What Splatt said.

Scum

Bollocks. My Barca vs R. Madrid final is turning out to be a Bayern vs Chelsea final. Heh. Congrats, ChelseaGAF. Next Tuesday is sure going to be a hell of a lot of fun! :p

Oh well. At least there's some proper footie on tomorrow. \o/

WrikaWrek

Banned

Positive attacking team. Give me a break, the amount of backtracking Barcelona does, passing the ball back, defender to defender to goal keeper, it's the worst thing they could've taught to kids that play football games online.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can't believe people are really complaining about Chelsea going 'negative' when they shipped five goals at home to Arsenal this season while playing 'positive' football. Even Walcott got a goal. Chelsea had every excuse to park the bus.

Am I so wrong in labeling him as a target? Seriously, it seems like a no brainer move for pieces of shit, no matter their location on the planet.
You said we shouldnt be quick to label everybody races but he's an easy target in that part of the world (because they are racist). That's the implication I read into your easy target line anyway and the contradiction has me scratching my head with a wtf expression.

I don't think every Turkish person is racist. I don't think they is anything wrong with supporters having a go at a high profile new signing of a rival club. However there is no justification for racist targeting, chants and treatment of anyone. None what so ever. There have numerous incidents of racism in turkey and there have been no actions taken against the offenders. It continues to tarnish Turkish football.

GorillaJu

That's not a bad thing. That tactics are still relevant against a team like Barça is more reassuring to me, because it seems apparent that Barça are essentially a perfect team for the current generation. As good as they are, competition is better, no?

I don't know. I'm for an entertaining 90 minutes rather than a passive display of submissive defense. Maybe my opinion will change after the Camp Nou leg though :)

Seriously, I don't want to take anything away from Chelsea. It was a great defensive performance. My worry is that if that becomes the way to lift a trophy, will it encourage even more catenaccio than "real football" (please note the quotes). What's the goal of the game anyway, at that point.

Let's see if we get an answer over two legs. Maybe it will satisfy everyone.

Barca short passing it around their midfield for 90 min isn't that terrible exciting to watch either.

Chelsea is a team that has been in crisis for a whole season, there's no way they can match Barca in much else than fight and by closing the back completely, AVB already demonstrated that the high line football doesn't work with this aging squad. Luckily the winners never cares about real football, just about winning.

Edit :

Positive attacking team. Give me a break, the amount of backtracking Barcelona does, passing the ball back, defender to defender to goal keeper, it's the worst thing they could've taught to kids that play football games online.

When I try and do that shit online in fifa I always end up accidentally giving it away.
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom