• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

GorillaJu

Has it been mentioned here that Liverpool is getting some kind of reality show in the US? Supposedly in the style of Hard Knocks, where they follow around someone trying to get in the team. More documentary than reality show, but I'd like to see it.

I have a hard time seeing Chelsea being able to keep Barcelona from scoring 2 games on a row..

They don't need to stop them completely. At home it would be fatal but they can go down there and just hope for one random goal and Barca will suddently have to score 3. I agree though, Barca are favorites but Chelsea got a damn good chance now.

So I'm going to guess it was pretty salty in here tonight?

I didn't think it was an entertaining game tonight. It was watchable I suppose, but at times in the second half I was very bored. Pretty tedious in the second half. First half was entertaining because of the moments of magic from Barcelona.

I have a hard time seeing Chelsea being able to keep Barcelona from scoring 2 games on a row.. some poor finishing today by Barca and a lucky Chelsea goal the game pretty much went the way I expected to go.. and it was pretty boring but what ya gonna do.

I think Barcelona is still favourites but they need to score an early goal next week to get chelsea a little nervous.

also Drogba is a fucking disgrace.. as much as people say about biscuits from Barcelona.. Drogba is pretty bad with the diving and faking..
Nout lucky about it. The ball from Lampard to Ramires was superb, similarly so was Ramires' square ball to Drogba. Drogba's strike wasn't the cleanest but it fairly comfortably beat Valdes.

Nout lucky about it. The ball from Lampard to Ramires was superb, similarly so was Ramires' square ball to Drogba. Drogba's strike wasn't the cleanest but it fairly comfortably beat Valdes.
Valdes should have saved it. Doesn't really matter because it went in and it was nicely worked, but it was very saveable IMO.

I hope Chelsea can do the job next week but really I can't see it. Even a repeat of today and you'd expect Barca's finishing would be at least decent and they'd qualify. You never know though and Chelsea have got themselves in a position better than most people could have hoped for. Hope they do it, but really, I think it'll be 2-0 to Barca inside 20 mins.

offshore

I dunno, I think Chelsea have got a great chance. Arsenal could have gone through at Camp Nou as well last year, if only that golden chance hadn't have fallen to Bendtner.

lol

Kyoufu

All it takes is one 1 goal next week to force Barca scoring 3.

Not sure if I like Barca's chances now. They must feel the pressure surely.

I dunno, I think Chelsea have got a great chance. Arsenal could have gone through at Camp Nou as well last year, if only that golden chance hadn't have fallen to Bendtner.

lol
I remember watching that game and rooting for Arsenal. I like just about any English team beating Barcelona. They're probably my most disliked team.

Fantomex

Congrats to Chelsea. They played the game they wanted and defended superbly. It's no easy feat to keep Barcelona scoreless. Let's see what happens next week at the Camp Nou.

sneaky77

about 5000 Bilbao fans going to be in the game tomorrow, hopefully it will be a great atmosphere without any incidents, I am already a bit nervous about it

I remember watching that game and rooting for Arsenal. I like just about any English team beating Barcelona. They're probably my most disliked team.
We're supporting Chelsea cos around here, negative football is popular :lol

about 5000 Bilbao fans going to be in the game tomorrow, hopefully it will be a great atmosphere without any incidents, I am already a bit nervous about it
Nervous about the game or incidents? Why would there be? Bilbao fans were a joy in Manchester.

offshore

I really want to root for Chelsea next week, but I can't, because of the Top 4 situation in the PL. Although if Chelsea make it to the final, at least the PL season will be finished, so I'll know whether I want Chelsea to win or lose.

Slizz

We're supporting Chelsea cos around here, negative football is popular :lol

Is there any other kind of football?

iuTMVRAvOn4TN.gif

Can't believe I haven't been busting this out sooner

Is there any other kind of football?
Well I heard that somewhere in Spain they play this really crap brand of football where they just play loads of meaningless 2 yard passes and never try to score. And they fall over when somebody breathes on them.

They win all the time though, that's what counts I guess.

Dibbz

Valdes should have saved it. Doesn't really matter because it went in and it was nicely worked, but it was very saveable IMO.

I hope Chelsea can do the job next week but really I can't see it. Even a repeat of today and you'd expect Barca's finishing would be at least decent and they'd qualify. You never know though and Chelsea have got themselves in a position better than most people could have hoped for. Hope they do it, but really, I think it'll be 2-0 to Barca inside 20 mins.

Honestly Chelsea can win it next week. Arsenal got lucky in the first leg last year and then almost won even down to 10 men. Anything is possible. Both teams have got a tough weekend coming up though which could have a big impact on their seasons.

Well I heard that somewhere in Spain they play this really crap brand of football where they just play loads of meaningless 2 yard passes and never try to score. And they fall over when somebody breathes on them.

They win all the time though, that's what counts I guess.
Lovely place Spain. I heard they have a league with 2 teams in it.

Mostly about the game,
Ah okay. Well, I think you guys will do really well. Sporting did surprise me against City though, played really well in both legs. Hope you go on to win the whole thing!

What time is kick off? I was thinking there would be no football tmrw but I reckon I might watch the Sporting-Bilbao game.

GorillaJu

So if we were ranking major teams, how would it go?

I was thinking like this:
Chelsea > Barça > Bayern > Arsenal > Newcastle > Swansea > Real Madrid > Wigan > United > Inter > QPR > Benfica

So if we were ranking major teams, how would it go?

I was thinking like this:
Chelsea > Barça > Bayern > Arsenal > Newcastle > Swansea > Real Madrid > Wigan > United > Inter > QPR > Benfica
You forgot Stoke.

Did anybody else enjoy the moment when Puyol showed JT his sore hand (which he later had bandaged) and JT just squeezed it. I laughed quite hard. Also, Puyol took it quite well. I do like Puyol.

ieh7vsqIMz2X9.gif

Antioch

I'm glad that Chelsea won and has decent chances of making the final, but still it feels like Barca has the upper hand seeing as they had most of the chances today. I think the scoreline of the second leg will be either 2-1 or 3-1, so either Barcelona winning reasonably comfortably on the night or Chelsea going through by the away goals rule.

Sloosha

You forgot Stoke.

Did anybody else enjoy the moment when Puyol showed JT his sore hand (which he later had bandaged) and JT just squeezed it. I laughed quite hard. Also, Puyol took it quite well. I do like Puyol.

ieh7vsqIMz2X9.gif

Definitely Stoke at the top. Chelsea are just a rubbish version of Stoke anyway.

Next leg has heartbreak written all over it.

GorillaJu

I can't be the only one but why is Mario Balotelli and Cesc Fabregas fused with Xavi in that line up?

I definitely see the Fab influence in that guy on the left, but I don't see the Balotelli or Xavi. Looks more like a Cesc + Kolo Toure fusion to me.

sneaky77

Ah okay. Well, I think you guys will do really well. Sporting did surprise me against City though, played really well in both legs. Hope you go on to win the whole thing!

What time is kick off? I was thinking there would be no football tmrw but I reckon I might watch the Sporting-Bilbao game.

kick off is at 3pm EST

GorillaJu

Saturday is perplexing to me for FPL reasons. Everton almost always keep Rooney quiet, and RVP has a really poor record over the last 5 or 6 games.

Agüero is my third striker and he's getting the captaincy. But what to do about Bale, RVP and Rooney? Tempted to take a 4 pt hit, drop RVP or Rooney and bring in Cisse, but if Ashley Young plays Rooney is pretty much guaranteed a penalty at home.

What to doooooo

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watching the CONCACAF final. Santos looks clueless in the first ten minutes. Monterrey has got this leg if they keep up this pace, though they keep on getting booked for foolish fouls.

elsk

Banned
He wants to stay in the PL though, so good luck Hoffenheim.

His contract ends in 2014, and if they already said no to Swansea is because they want him to stay at the club. Unless a huge offer comes, I doubt they sell. We had to offer 17m + a shitty LB + Alaba on loan for Luiz Gustavo.

offshore

Messi needs to realize he is not a team of 1

Incredibly selfish play was crazy

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I seem to recall Messi frequently being isolated with not too many options around him, so he had to go alone on a fair few occasions.

Kyoufu

His contract ends in 2014, and if they already said no to Swansea is because they want him to stay at the club. Unless a huge offer comes, I doubt they sell. We had to offer 17m + a shitty LB + Alaba on loan for Luiz Gustavo.

Dammit give us Sigurdsson :(

FootballFan

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I seem to recall Messi frequently being isolated with not too many options around him, so he had to go alone on a fair few occasions.

^ this. Messi wasnt amazing today, but when someone made the run he gave it to them, too bad there was no room for runs.
All the players up front seemed isolated. Will be interesting to see if the same happens in the 2nd leg. I can just sooo see it ending 0-0.

Top Bottom