• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Kasper Schmeichel called up for the Danish national team to replace Thomas Sørensen. Looks like my predictions came through after all.

Salazar

@honigstein

eYfrW.gif

Clegg can almost relax.

FeD.nL

My sister is moving to Heerenveen this summer with her dutch boyfriend and she's been rooting for the team all the season.

I was amazed that Van Nistelroy played there.

When I visit her I will watch them.

I live in Heerenveen. The stadium is almost always packed, very few tickets at the door. With Marco van Basten as coach it will probalbly be even harder to get tickets to the league games. Cup games are fine though most of the time. It's a shame you wont see playing with the attacking three they had past season. SC Heerenveen delivered the topscorer and the the player with the most assists.

Welbeck and Rooney showed signs of starting to click together, in terms of passing and movement. A player as intelligent as Kagawa in behind them can't hurt.

Cannot wait. 15m euros is an absolute bargain. His interview about his talk with Fergie indicates that the manager rates him as a linchpin in behind the striker, too. So, Welbeck will get some rotation on the left, I'm sure. And our variation in attack will be considerably improved in one fell swoop.

Now, for a CM. I understand Fergie's concerns about bringing in a holding one, but we should get someone who can cycle possession effectively, or has box-to-box presence, at least.

dc89

It's raising to €22m, still a good buy.

---

Some choice quotes from a Mirror Football article I was just reading:

"city were keen, probably keener than United, but got bored with the posturing, leading Mancini and the board to harbor doubts, especially when talk of a £5m bonus to Hazard's agent was raised in negotiations."

"that streak of arrogance was revealed when Hazard teased Chelsea, United and City stating a few weeks ago: 'it will be played between the three clubs everybody cites. The final choice depends on playing time I will have and the position'. The idea of a 21 year old telling Sir Alex or Mancini how to pick their teams is laughable. But that sums up Hazard"

If he had joined City, I'd have rushed out and lumped £10 on a Hazard & Balotelli training ground bust up in the first week of training.

dc89

Anyone know anything about Younes Belhanda?

All the papers were saying if Hazard to City didn't come throught that's who they'll move for. This was a couple of weeks back mind you.

GorillaJu

Anyone know anything about Younes Belhanda?

All the papers were saying if Hazard to City didn't come throught that's who they'll move for. This was a couple of weeks back mind you.

He's a good player who had a big part in getting Montpellier their title this year. He has said that he wants to stay there, however

dc89

He's a good player who had a big part in getting Montpellier their title this year. He has said that he wants to stay there, however

GAH!

we just spotted Roberto Martinez coming through arrivals at Terminal 2 here at Manchester Airport
@manairport

Next question, is he going to Liverpool or to Wigan to discuss his future.

GorillaJu

I'm sickened by the negativity Liverpool fans are showing over Martínez. It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be our new manager (first team coach, really), but if he is I have full faith in him to succeed and expect him to do so.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footba...verpool-what-to-expect-from-roberto-martinez/

Perspective from a Wigan fan. He shares my dismay at the negativity from the fans.

I wonder what Juve fans thought when they hired Conte from Serie B, or what Dortmund fans thought after hiring Klopp, who got Mainz relegated.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sickened by the negativity Liverpool fans are showing over Martínez. It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be our new manager (first team coach, really), but if he is I have full faith in him to succeed and expect him to do so.

What do they expect? Liverpool finished 8th on the same points as Fulham. Top talents aren't interested in going there right now and a hard-working, young manager like Martinez is exactly what they need. I'm sure he'll do a good job if he is given time to fix things. Liverpool are not going to be in the top 4 for a few years yet, the fans should just let the management get a good foundation in place now.

elseanio

I think I'd we get Martinez, we need a really big appointment above him (dof). I'm happy with Martinez coaching the team, not too arsed about his stats with Wigan. If he has the same ambition as the owners and impresses them enough for FSG to not interview anyone else, then I can't be too disappointed.

If things go wrong, at least we have someone who knows how to avoid relegation!

PaulLFC

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footba...verpool-what-to-expect-from-roberto-martinez/

Perspective from a Wigan fan. He shares my dismay at the negativity from the fans.

I wonder what Juve fans thought when they hired Conte from Serie B, or what Dortmund fans thought after hiring Klopp, who got Mainz relegated.
I think most are being negative because it's such a gamble. He could turn out to be brilliant if we do appoint him, but he could just as easily struggle and not like the increased pressure that would come with being manager of us. However bad our situation has been lately, going from Wigan and the job of trying to keep them from relegation, to managing us, is a massive step up.

Nobody knows whether he will be our manager though, FSG could have someone else lined up for all we know. The only actual fact we have is the picture of Martinez and Henry in Miami - and if Dave Whelan had known how to conduct himself around private business then chances are we might not have even got that picture - Whelan telling everyone he could that Martinez was going to Miami to meet FSG meant more people would be looking for them so the photo was more likely. Best to just wait and see what happens.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not by the kind of brave new world wankers who think B teams in the Championship are a whiz-bang idea.

Who was it who thought this was a good idea? Villas-Boas? It would destroy English football.

United to win the league, FA cup and CL, please. More money for us.

CL is always a gamble to some extent and I wouldn't be so sure about domestic titles. With the Chelsea vs. City arms race even the "Kagawa effect" could go up in smoke :/
I'd rather take 18m fixed than 15m fixed + 7m conditional.

If the bid comes trough though, we will have to become Utd. fans for the next season, hehe

GorillaJu

Paul, no question that Dave Whelan is a huge embarrassment. Nothing is worse than a gabby little ass who tries to sabotage and ruin everything by flapping his gums every which way. How did he ever get to his position with such awful business practice?

The manager job at Liverpool is not a good prospect right now - very few people would be interested in taking this position as we don't have a great squad to inherit, the expectations are huge and we've shown that we're impatient, having fired two managers over two seasons.

We can't cop Klopp or pip Pep (hi Sal ;), so we have to be realistic about our options.

I've said this before but I think the sporting director and technical director roles are goin to play a huge part in our progression, as well as Ian Ayre's new, larger responsibilities. We may not get a proven world class manager but we can absolutely entice a world class DOF to create a legacy. With a firm plan in place and a philosophy being taught, even if Martínez (or whoever) doesn't work out, well not have another rebuilding job.

Either way I believe there's still a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't hearing about. Our owners are being called ignorant and lacking vision, yet there are tidbits (such as them trying to snag Juve's personnel manager [or something of the sort], who is doing fantastic work according to Yurt) that point to them having a clearer picture. They're just doing it in silence. Dave Whelan's diarrhea mouth is the only thing keeping us on the tabloids.

Kem0sabe

Newspapers here in Portugal are reporting that Hulk has one feet in Chelsea already.

Should be a great substitute for Drogba, although i think hes a better player by the line as a winger than as a traditional CF.

If Chelsea manage to pull this off they should be able to mount an exciting campaign next season.

bjaelke

FOOTBALL - Germany will field the youngest squad of all teams at Euro 2012 and it will also be the youngest ‘Mannschaft’ to represent Germany at a European championship. In fact, only once the Germans have sent a younger ensemble to a major championship.

Youngest squads representing Germany in major championships

24-151 - 1934 World Cup (finished in 3rd place)

24-358 - 2012 European Championship (TBD)

25-015 - 1980 European Championship (Winners)

25-129 - 2010 World Cup (finished in 3rd place)

25-230 - 1966 World Cup (runners-up)

25-232 - 1972 European Championship (Winners)

25-311 - 1962 World Cup (Quarterfinals)

26-034 - 1988 European Championship (Semifinalists)

Age represented in years and days (yy-ddd) and calculated to correspond with opening day of tournament.
hnnnnng

Looks like Flamini will sign a new contract soon and that Galliani won't try to buy Aquilani. I would've done the opposite thing, at least we would have an actual football player instead of a butcher, even if said football player is available for half a year. Leonardo is still trying to buy Pato: I wonder if Berlusconi will do the right thing this time.

Meanwhile, another earthquake this morning, luckily far from where I live, but I felt it. There are already some confirmed deaths where it started. I've basically felt more earthquakes in this week alone than in my entire life. It's terrifying, really.

Kem0sabe

Meanwhile, another earthquake this morning, luckily far from where I live, but I felt it. There are already some confirmed deaths where it started. I've basically felt more earthquakes in this week alone than in my entire life. It's terrifying, really.

I know what you mean, i live in a small volcanic island in the atlantic and we feel earthquakes almost everyday. I always expecting everything to blow up one day Oo

CL is always a gamble to some extent and I wouldn't be so sure about domestic titles. With the Chelsea vs. City arms race even the "Kagawa effect" could go up in smoke :/
I'd rather take 18m fixed than 15m fixed + 7m conditional.

If the bid comes trough though, we will have to become Utd. fans for the next season, hehe

Yeah, I know it will be very hard.

It doesn't seem like United will pay more, though. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I know Kagawa has only 1 year left but we really should be able to get at least 20m. A young, very talented player, probably one of the best on his position, that also brings a lot of marketing money. We should have gotten a bidding war going on. Zorc should have offered him to City...

GorillaJu

and it will also be the youngest Mannschaft to

Sounds right up wilbury's ally

Lucifer
So how many earthquakes do you think you've felt? In the last year I've felt at least 1200 or so.

I'm so used to them that I enjoy the adrenaline rush and never find myself afraid.

Of course there is the possibility that the quakes there are foreshocks. We had a good 20 foreshocks the month before the big 9.1 hit. In the first 4 months after the 9.1 there were at least 700 or 800 aftershocks. If there was already a big one (6.0+) and the quakes have gotten smaller, then that's a normal main shock -> after shock pattern. You usually only feel one aftershock if the main shock was below a 5

Sounds right up wilbury's ally

Lucifer
So how many earthquakes do you think you've felt? In the last year I've felt at least 1200 or so.

I'm so used to them that I enjoy the adrenaline rush and never find myself afraid.

Of course there is the possibility that the quakes there are foreshocks. We had a good 20 foreshocks the month before the big 9.1 hit. In the first 4 months after the 9.1 there were at least 700 or 800 aftershocks. If there was already a big one (6.0+) and the quakes have gotten smaller, then that's a normal main shock -> after shock pattern. You usually only feel one aftershock if the main shock was below a 5

Not that much, luckily. I live in a pretty calm zone of Italy, so usually earthquakes starts pretty distant from my house. In the last two weeks I felt two "big" earthquakes, 5.9 and 5.8 (today, which started here), and a couple of aftershocks (that I'm aware of). The one from this morning was kinda fun the first couple of seconds, then I realized what was going on.

The worst thing is living in a pretty old house (my parents said it's at least 200 years old) that has visible little cracks all around. You never know what might happen, and seeing building collapse every earthquake all around Italy isn't reassuring at all.

/edit
Non comprende NADA (I know it's Portuguese)
/edit

We were in a much worse state than you are atm. We had some 4 years of mediocrity and after being close to a insolvency in 2006 our new top brass realized that things couldn't continue as they did especially after almost getting relegated in 06/07 and having to fire 2 managers mid-season. So as the third manager we got the young and upcoming Thomas Doll who seemed like a messiah to some since we started winning with him and came out of the relegation spot.
But he wasn't the clean slate reboot we all hoped for since he already failed at Hamburg and while being there already revealed that he hasn't got a deeper understanding of the game. All of this, again, got us almost relegated in 07/08. We were like one heart beat away from relegation throughout the whole season. We did manage to reach the cup final, but the league spot was just unbearable and Doll had this weird defeatist attitude too. So in 2008 shit got real and Doll was fired while based Klopp was hired to lead us into prosperity and success.

Klopp was indeed a gamble, but then again our club was at odds too, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Still though, his management ability was never in question. The fact that Mainz got relegated (and then subsequently failed to get back up) did not really impede his reputation as they still played beautiful, modern football.
Klopp also brought along a 19yo Subotic from Mainz which cost us some 5m - a huge amount for us back and therefore the whole thing amounted to an even greater gamble.

So basically: Klopp never seemed like a failure to the well-informed, even though he factually failed at his club - even Bayern were contemplating about signing him. He has this football scholar image to him and it shows in the way he manages his squads.
He still needed 2 seasons to instill his vision into the squad while raking 6th and 5th while our top brass sat still and supplied the dough for the sometimes risky transfers (like the aforementioned Subotic) or Barrios.

Yeah, I know it will be very hard.

It doesn't seem like United will pay more, though. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I know Kagawa has only 1 year left but we really should be able to get at least 20m. A young, very talented player, probably one of the best on his position, that also brings a lot of marketing money. We should have gotten a bidding war going on. Zorc should have offered him to City...
Ya, but I bet City don't have the name recognition in Japan, so to increase his marketing potential he's way better off with Utd, Liverpool, Arse, Chelsea. So he didn't want to go there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom