• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
just because you get DVT doesn't make you more susceptible to heart attacks guys

people get DVT regularly flying SYD to London because its so far, so high and so much sitting

GorillaJu

You see something wrong with the things he said?

Nope, he doesn't say anything like that. He just says that in Holland a high percentage of players are negros and there is no problem there. They just wanted to take a Liverpool player out and they did.

No I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I was being facetious - a few lines of that interview were pulled out by the English media to portray him as "reigniting the race row."

After reading it all, he seems intelligent and down to earth, and genuinely surprised at how the thing with Evra played out.

He followed his girlfriend from when he was 15 years old, to Europe and married her. (She's mind blowingly beautiful so you can understand why), and he gives credit to her for his own career. He's a good guy. Just makes himself too easy a target with his match antics.

Also I 100% believe that the media is wrongfully portraying Liverpool to be a circus. People enjoy watching the king get his head lopped off at the guillotine. If it were United in this position (mid table finishes, sacking managers, etc), the same thing would happen. They want to sell papers and get clicks and they'll spin the news to fit the narrative their audience wants. It's not a conspiracy, it's just how news outlets/tabloids operate

Meier

You can't compare what Bayern offers with what City offers. They looked like a low-mid table team against Bayern in the CL. City offers money and that's it. Bayern offers everything a player could want. You don't need to move to Barcelona or Real Madrid if you're playing for Bayern (at current time).

And I think European success is more important, for players, than local success.
Bayern won no silverware at all this year though and frankly came across as massive chokers in their loss to Chelsea. Runner-up neans nothing really. City finished their season as heroes and won in an indescribably dramatic fashion.

Right now, City look like a team you'll have a better chance at winning things with than Bayern. The PL is a much more glamorous league and the wages are likely higher. The coach is a much more glamorous name. There are as many or more world class players (Kompany, Yaya, Aguero vs Robben, Ribery and Hummels perhaps?) on City.

Bayern only offers history and if you're not a German and not 30 years old, that probably doesn't matter to you.

There's RM and Barca, then Man U, then everyone else.

jtb

Banned
Bayern won no silverware at all this year though and frankly came across as massive chokers in their loss to Chelsea. Runner-up neans nothing really. City finished their season as heroes and won in an indescribably dramatic fashion.

Right now, City look like a team you'll have a better chance at winning things with than Bayern. The PL is a much more glamorous league and the wages are likely higher. The coach is a much more glamorous name. There are as many or more world class players (Kompany, Yaya, Aguero vs Robben, Ribery and Hummels perhaps?) on City.

Bayern only offers history and if you're not a German and not 30 years old, that probably doesn't matter to you.

I don't think you can ever claim winning the league is bigger than winning the Champions League. Let's not forget Bayern came very close to lifting the Champions League trophy, in their own stadium to boot. That's an opportunity you're not going to get at City, and certainly not under Mancini. It takes more than money to win in Europe.

to be fair though, City probably comes after Bayern, Real, and Barca (the three teams actually capable of winning in Europe w/o any improvements next year), history or not.

GorillaJu

City could win the CL with their squad. They just need a bit more grit and experience.

I hate the idea that history doesnt matter if you're under 30. So what metric should someone decide they like a team? Because they bought all the best players and have a "glamorous" manager? Everyone should just be a glory hunter eh?

Salazar

So what metric should someone decide they like a team??

Does Super Laure play for them ? Yes or No ?

MJvfO.gif

jtb

Banned
City could win the CL with their squad. They just need a bit more grit and experience.

I hate the idea that history doesnt matter if you're under 30. So what metric should someone decide they like a team? Because they bought all the best players and have a "glamorous" manager? Everyone should just be a glory hunter eh?

With this squad? Absolutely. With this manager? Not so much. Mancini has failed time and time again in Europe, and this season, with more resources at his disposal than ever before, he fell even further short than usual. I'd be willing to bet good money that City don't make it further than Arsenal in the CL next season, and that's knowing full well Arsenal will inevitably collapse and doesn't have a remote chance of winning the damn thing.

As for the second part, history should (and, I think, does) matter. Not that it's ever stopped glory hunters before.

elsk

Banned

Haha ok.

Soi-Fong

ManUnited zahlt 15 Millionen Euro

Sayonara! Der Wechsel von Shinji Kagawa (23) in die Premier League ist so gut wie perfekt. Nur die Unterschriften fehlen noch.
[...]
Wie am Pfingsmontag aus dem Umfeld des englischen Vizemeisters durchsickerte, haben sich die beteiligten Klubs im Wesentlichen geeinigt.Dortmunds Sportdirektor Michael Zorc (49), der bei Personalien dieser Art grundsätzlich erst Vollzug meldet, wenn auch die Unterschriften erfolgt sind, wollte dies gegenüber dem kicker aber noch nicht bestätigen. Er sagt: "Der Transfer ist noch nicht abgeschlossen."

Seriöse Quellen in England nennen bereits feste Eckdaten. Der BVB erhält eine Ablöse von umgerechnet rund 15 Millionen Euro. Dieser Sockel kann sich durch Zusatzvereinbarungen noch um einen siebenstelligen Betrag erhöhen.

According to Kicker, a German magazine, the deal concerning Kagawa's move to United is now done and all that is left is for Kagawa to put pen to paper.

15 million Euros + Add-Ons

Soi-Fong

This is certainly the benchmark that I use.

Damn. United are really getting Kagawa.

It was practically a done deal after Kagawa talked with Ferguson face to face.

Edit: To add, this is great news for any Japanese player as this will get rid of the notion that Asian players cannot get into top sides (in the PL) and play a big part.

elsk

Banned
Clark Whitney wrote this on his twitter:

Cannot yet give details, but can confirm that Bayern are far from done in the transfer market. If all goes well, Bayern will have an incredible squad next season: independent of anyone's form, capable of handling injuries/suspensions.

Each season, Bayern have had a weakness exposed. Should they succeed w/ their xfer goals you have to ask: is there anything left to fix?

ManUnited zahlt 15 Millionen Euro

Sayonara! Der Wechsel von Shinji Kagawa (23) in die Premier League ist so gut wie perfekt. Nur die Unterschriften fehlen noch.
[...]
Wie am Pfingsmontag aus dem Umfeld des englischen Vizemeisters durchsickerte, haben sich die beteiligten Klubs im Wesentlichen geeinigt.Dortmunds Sportdirektor Michael Zorc (49), der bei Personalien dieser Art grundsätzlich erst Vollzug meldet, wenn auch die Unterschriften erfolgt sind, wollte dies gegenüber dem kicker aber noch nicht bestätigen. Er sagt: "Der Transfer ist noch nicht abgeschlossen."

Seriöse Quellen in England nennen bereits feste Eckdaten. Der BVB erhält eine Ablöse von umgerechnet rund 15 Millionen Euro. Dieser Sockel kann sich durch Zusatzvereinbarungen noch um einen siebenstelligen Betrag erhöhen.

According to Kicker, a German magazine, the deal concerning Kagawa's move to United is now done and all that is left is for Kagawa to put pen to paper.

15 million Euros + Add-Ons

I doubt they are accepting less than what they payed for Reus (17m). Kagawa in Man United sure will be interesting!

Soi-Fong

Clark Whitney wrote this on his twitter:

I doubt they are accepting less than what they payed for Reus (17m).

They don't have much choice. Are they really thinking they can be any more greedy and get more than that amount for a player that is in his last year of contract, but also that they got a replacement for him already. Highly doubt it, they should consider themselves lucky that United kept on pushing. The 20 million they were asking (while more than fair for Kagawa's skills) is absurd with the conditions that are in place at the present time.

elsk

Banned
They don't have much choice. Are they really thinking they can be any more greedy and get more than that amount for a player that is in his last year of contract, but also that they got a replacement for him already.

Yeah, I don't see the 15m as a bad deal but still I would be surprised if they let him go for that amount so early in the transfer period. Unless the add-ons are very good and likely to happen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Newspapers here in Mexico say that Liverpool, Málaga, and Atlético Madrid have already had contact with Chivas regarding Marco Fabián. :(

If he goes to Liverpool, though, this country is gonna be lulz. People wearing Man United and Liverpool shirts depending on the time of day? Crazy.

It was practically a done deal after Kagawa talked with Ferguson face to face.

Edit: To add, this is great news for any Japanese player as this will get rid of the notion that Asian players cannot get into top sides (in the PL) and play a big part.

Hmmm I thought that was dispelled with Park?

Newspapers here in Mexico say that Liverpool, Málaga, and Atlético Madrid have already had contact with Chivas regarding Marco Fabián. :(

If he goes to Liverpool, though, this country is gonna be lulz. People wearing Man United and Liverpool shirts depending on the time of day? Crazy.

I don't see how we can be looking at players when we don't even have a scouting/DOF/managing structure set up yet. Liverpool is all kind of fucked at the moment. Shame we ended up with American owners.

elsk

Banned

Haha told you.
Maybe he can replace Diego in Atlético Madrid!

edit: I'm sick of Facebook. I'll quit. News Feed with all the crap and shit ruined it for me.

GorillaJu

Hmmm I thought that was dispelled with Park?

Park is Korean.

And he's what you might call a defensive forward. Very different from the typical mold for South Korean or Japanese player.

Marco Fabián is an exciting talent.

We have scouts and execs at the club, wtf are you talking about, Phoenix? Pep Segura and Ian Ayre are probably handling the transfer work at the moment.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Haha told you.
Maybe he can replace Diego in Atlético Madrid!
:( :( :(
I don't see how we can be looking at players when we don't even have a scouting/DOF/managing structure set up yet. Liverpool is all kind of fucked at the moment. Shame we ended up with American owners.
When newspapers over here say "looking at players" they mean "these clubs had scouts at so and so tournament and said scouts made inquiries about a player".

neoanarch

bs. The rumour floating around is that a english agent approached him in Toulon. Nothing official just your regular agent bs.

Park is Korean.

And he's what you might call a defensive forward. Very different from the typical mold for South Korean or Japanese player.

Marco Fabián is an exciting talent.

Yeah I know he is Korean, I was referring to Fong's term of calling them Asians which should really be Orientals.

We have scouts and execs at the club, wtf are you talking about, Phoenix? Pep Segura and Ian Ayre are probably handling the transfer work at the moment.

I forgot about Pep but what would Ayre know about transfer targets? Isn't he a marketing guy?

When newspapers over here say "looking at players" they mean "these clubs had scouts at so and so tournament and said scouts made inquiries about a player".

Makes sense. I was just wondering.

Ah lol my apologies if I offended you.

lol not offended at all.

Yen

I forgot about Pep but what would Ayre know about transfer targets? Isn't he a marketing guy?

lol not offended at all.

Pep will find the players, Ayre will negotiate and then sign them. And that shouldn't be a problem considering when we did have a football guy (Comolli), we bought Downing for £20m.

sohois

RVP will be staying at Arsenal. I have faith!!!!!!

If RVP leaves Arsenal I will not watch the premier league next season...

I'm not sure why you are so fixated upon RVP staying, yes there are many emotional reasons for wanting him to stay and see out his days at the club but rationally selling him now when he is at the height of his value, reaching the age where he will begin to decline & well known as injury prone is the best option for the club.

Better to try and bring in the next RVP now. I suppose there are probably some reservations given the incompetent way that Arsenal handled the departures of Nasri & Fabregras as well as others, but they seem to be more focused this season.

immy

Banned
Yeah I know he is Korean, I was referring to Fong's term of calling them Asians which should really be Orientals.

lol not offended at all.

But they are asian............

bjaelke

Not sure what all you Man Utd fans are complaining about. At least you're actually fucking linked to players.

Hold me Liverpool-GAF.
We got the Bent transfer locked down. No drama, just the end of a 3 year transfer saga.
So there was who wants to be a millionaire in Danish tv the other day. One of the first questions : "What national team does Messi play for?"

PpTED.jpg

They picked Italy.
KuGsj.gif

It was on yesterday. It was the sixth question and they had already used 2 lifelines. The guy based his answer on the fact that the singer Lionel Richie is from Italy :lol They took over a minute to get the answer wrong.

dc89

If nothing else, Hazard story proves United have big money to spend when the right player is available.

Some optimism for us United fans.

Yeah, just as long as they don't want too much in wages :lol

We'd offered enough and he'd deemed our contract as financially viable as the offers from City and Chelsea, or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick and you mean in general?

As far as I'm aware, Lampard and Terry are the top earners at Chelsea and are estimated to be earning 130K a week. I don't think Hazard would be getting as much as them. I also remember reading something about Chelsea and how they weren't for handing out ludicrous wages any more to get in line with FFP.

Hazard did say in the end it would come down to where he would play and how often. So I presume UTD and City weren't offering him what he wanted in that regard.

City's offer to Hazard was final, and I think that was made clear to him. There were no more negotiations after they put the offer down, it was take it or leave it and he's left it, so City will no doubt be looking at alternatives.

Maybe the fact City do not pay agents fees had something to do with it too.

Is the 130,000 after tax?

I've read this morning he's on £100k after tax. And the whole thing will cost close to £47M when you factor in wages and that agents fee.

elseanio

yeT25.jpg

RIP the 39 people who died at Haysel, 27 years ago

In Memoria e Amicizia:

Rocco Acerra
Bruno Balli
Alfons Bos
Giancarlo Bruschera
Andrea Casula
Giovanni Casula
Nino Cerullo
Willy Chielens
Giuseppina Conti
Dirk Daenecky
Dionisio Fabbro
Jacques François
Eugenio Gagliano
Francesco Galli
Giancarlo Gonnelli
Alberto Guarini
Giovacchino Landini
Roberto Lorentini
Barbara Lusci
Franco Martelli
Loris Messore
Gianni Mastrolaco
Sergio Bastino Mazzino
Luciano Rocco Papaluca
Luigi Pidone
Bento Pistolato
Patrick Radcliffe
Domenico Ragazzi
Antonio Ragnanese
Claude Robert
Mario Ronchi
Domenico Russo
Tarcisio Salvi
Gianfranco Sarto
Giuseppe Spalaore
Mario Spanu
Tarcisio Venturin
Jean Michel Walla
Claudio Zavaroni

My sister is moving to Heerenveen this summer with her dutch boyfriend and she's been rooting for the team all the season.

I was amazed that Van Nistelroy played there.

When I visit her I will watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom