• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

It wasn't a serious estimation, all i intended to show was that any sales would almost certainly be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Tevez "sale" will probably be another fucken stupid shambles of qualifications and options.

dc89

So much for City 'only going to spend around £30million', 'spending mostly going to be funded by player sales' talk. I'm sure the £10mil they raise from Savic, Adebayor & Johnson will amply cover the fees for Silva, Van Persie & Hazard.

No matter how inept football's governing bodies may be, i simply cannot see City getting past FFP if they keep up this reckless spending.

You got to give it to City. They have it pretty well figured out. Notice all the big sponsorship deals have come recently when it actually mattered. EA, Nike, Etihad etc.

Notice how most of the dead wood was sent out on loan last season? Are City going to sell them when it counts towards FFP which is this summer right?

City will try and sell big this summer. They've said the strategy now is 2/3 quality signings, not a overhaul on the scale we've seen. The Chairman said that City have a championship winning side now and like any other team they have to add to it, to improve it and kick on to the next level. I expect them to do that.

One of the best central defenders of the world as of today, two years ago was easily the best one. Plus he has proved himself to be pretty good even when we need to score. Hasn't played for the last two months (injured), though, and did some mistakes this season, conceding some shots and goal.

Please City, buy someone else. If we lose him, we'll have to play with Yepes and Acerbi as our CBs. Think about it.

Goal.com Italia said today that Snejider may have asked Boateng and Ibra to speak with Galliani and see if we could buy him next summer. That will definitely happen, I mean, we're full of money. If inter accept a one million offer, he'll be ours. Yup.

I will watch this with interest then. He sounds good.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

ivpxRGE4poeVg.gif

Nah, that doesn't sound good at all. You guys should definitely leave him to us. Why not Chiellini? Barzagli? Bonucci? They're excellent CBs.

Good God, we're still in May and I already hate this transfer window. The next three months are going to be incredibly awful.

operon

You got to give it to City. They have it pretty well figured out. Notice all the big sponsorship deals have come recently when it actually mattered. EA, Nike, Etihad etc.

Notice how most of the dead wood was sent out on loan last season? Are City going to sell them when it counts towards FFP which is this summer right?

City will try and sell big this summer. They've said the strategy now is 2/3 quality signings, not a overhaul on the scale we've seen. The Chairman said that City have a championship winning side now and like any other team they have to add to it, to improve it and kick on to the next level. I expect them to do that.

I think effectively city stock piled players that they could sell to raise money for players.

FootballFan

I seen them. They went with yellow shorts on the away :/

Go56nl.jpg

gMAkQl.jpg

That goalkeeper kit is lovely too. I am still eh on the home kit.

Home kit isn't that bad tbh. But god dammnnnn that away kit. Who designed it and what were they thinking.. The early pics of our home kit sucked (where the blue was much lighter, dark blue looks much better). I like the numbers. I just can't imagine Puyol, Messi etc in that away kit. :lol

GorillaJu

City doesn't deserve any credit at all - I don't know where you and Kermit came up with this notion that because they spent a shit load of money and have found loopholes and cracks in the rules (like all rich people do) that they deserve some kind of applause. They don't. And they aren't even very good at spending money when you look at how much it cost them to put the team together. It's a great team but the front line alone cost at least £100m!

pappe

Goal.com Italia said today that Snejider may have asked Boateng and Ibra to speak with Galliani and see if we could buy him next summer. That will definitely happen, I mean, we're full of money. If inter accept a one million offer, he'll be ours. Yup.

Why would Inter sell to Milan. That too Sneijder of all the people?

Fry

ic1cjWQg5Yo3q.gif

GorillaJu

It's been awhile since Sneijder played well for Inter, but I think most believe he is possesses the ability to lead a world class midfield. This year, Inter had their best performances while Sneijder was out - when he came back, they started capitulating again.

It wouldn't be the first time. Inter selling players to us is a thing that goes back to the '90s, they did so with Seedorf and Pirlo, just to name a couple of them.

Sneijder to Milan from Inter won't happen, so no worries.

Arnie

From my viewing of Serie A this season Silva is a beast, but Chiellini is equally good, in my opinion. Both are top, top class.

That Redknapp rumour is nonsense, Redknapp just doesn't fit any of the bills. I think, if this rumour is true, the only reason we've approached Capello as a candidate is because he's won big in his career. Redknapp's not young or particularly successful.

Do not want Cappello. Couldn't stand a manager who can't really speak English.

sohois

You make the statement 'City will try and sell big this summer'. When a club is trying to sell then power shifts to the buyers, this is particularly extreme in City's case since their deadwood players are on much higher wages than otherwise, thus they are even more motivated to sell. The most rational buyers would probably simply offer £0 and if rejected pursue alternative targets or attempt to get City to loan once again. Of course this is oversimplified somewhat & clubs and managers are not purely rational, nor is transfers some perfect free market, but still the money raised could easily be very low. The 2/3 quality signings City have been connected with thus far would all cost £30million plus, even assuming they just sign one & pursue one or 2 cheaper targets they would still probably spend way in excess of what they bring in.

edit: as to your comment about sponsorship dealings, consider Man Utd. Their colossal commercial revenue fails to even cover their whole wage bill, which is smaller than City's. It's difficult to imagine City would be able to come close to covering even just wages with commercial revenue without a clear violation of fair value.

Oxx

I do quite like the new Barca shirt.

It would make for an expensive gym shirt, though. I'm just going to wait for all the Team GB or England merchandise to hit the bargain bins after the summer festivities.

The results. She walked in as I was sporting my villa away jersey, proudly strutting around the bedroom.

First comment "aww honey that looks adorable on you."
me/hope rising

Second comment "its so cute, look its even got your little name on it."
me/starting to get suspicious

Third comment "that chequer pattern makes it look like a jester outfit doesnt it?"
me/FUUUUUUUU

I liked the checker pattern on the Away kit. :/ Is she English like you? Or did you meet her here in the states?

P.S. I need Solksjær in my life.

pappe

It wouldn't be the first time. Inter selling players to us is a thing that goes back to the '90s, they did so with Seedorf and Pirlo, just to name a couple of them.

Sneijder to Milan from Inter won't happen, so no worries.

Really? I thought the rivalry between those two clubs is level on par with that of Real vs Barca.

Messi

I do quite like the new Barca shirt.

It would make for an expensive gym shirt, though. I'm just going to wait for all the Team GB or England merchandise to hit the bargain bins after the summer festivities.

I only wear barca stuff to the gym, makes me push myself harder for some reason.

Fry

A quick OT question:

Who here has Metal Gear Solid HD collection for 360? I'm about to get it but I'm kind of curious about the port. Is it acceptable? How are the graphics and controls?

GorillaJu

Latest rumour is that FSG have contacted Fabio Capello and he "reluctantly agreed" to an interview.

Honestly I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

My best guess is FSG have a plan, they have some people that for one reason or another they haven't announced as hiring yet (perhaps they want to get them in a group and do them all at the same time), and we'll hear about a new manager in a few weeks.

Capello would be an incredible appointment, but realistically do you think he's the one to start a new young, progressive team in a fresh, progressive management structure? Personally, I do not. I'd rather we got 5th place or 6th place next year with a manager putting together a long term project and youth players coming through than go all out in a push for 4th with nothing changing and the football being ugly.

A quick OT question:

Who here has Metal Gear Solid HD collection for 360? I'm about to get it but I'm kind of curious about the port. Is it acceptable? How are the graphics and controls?
Graphics are great but the controls are a bit meh. The lack of pressure sensitive buttons makes it a bit of a pain at times. Having to push in the left stick to draw your weapon every time... eugh.

Edit: pick it up though, great fun once you get in to the swing of things. I got it for free!

Arnie

With all these different pieces I'm sure FSG have a plan, it's just a complicated one to piece together from the outside. Add to that their slightly unconventional methods of inviting numerous managers for interviews before making a decision and you've got a whirlwind of confusion.

When Martinez was approached, many including myself thought that he was to be offered the job. We now know that was just the first step. Cappello may be invited for an interview but if that interview involves FSG, Segura and Begiristain, it'll take a lot for him to get the role, first considering his woeful grasp of the English language.

I still tip Martinez and AVB to be the front runners. As much as I've criticised Martinez, the AVB stories frighten me to a point. And now I've heard reports of how much of a tool he is I'm starting to see it in his interviews and mannerisms.

Really? I thought the rivalry between those two clubs is level on par with that of Real vs Barca.

Off the top of my head: West, Pirlo, Seedorf, Mancini (oh God), Muntari and Vieri moved from Inter to Milan in the last 12 years. Plus a lot of young players moved from one team to the other.

*That* level of rivalry rises near the Derby, and generally fades away a week later, but transfer-wise Galliani and Moratti are usually friendly.

Fry

Graphics are great but the controls are a bit meh. The lack of pressure sensitive buttons makes it a bit of a pain at times. Having to push in the left stick to draw your weapon every time... eugh.

Edit: pick it up though, great fun once you get in to the swing of things. I got it for free!

Thanks! sounds good enough, my primary worry was the graphics. And fuck you for getting it for free. :lol

Can you not remap the controls?
Not sure, but I was under the impression 360 doesn't have pressure sensitive controls. In the PS2 version you held square (I think) lightly to draw your weapon, and then pushed it home to fire. In this you have to push the left stick to draw the gun, but that means it's constantly drawn, and left stick to holster it again. When it's out, you then have to push X to shoot. But once you do that you have to draw the gun again with LS. If you just push X he fires a round off without being able to aim.

Thanks! sounds good enough, my primary worry was the graphics. And fuck you for getting it for free. :lol
I walked in to a friends house a few weeks back looking to borrow it and he had just bought the special edition. So he gave me the brand new sealed copy from that as he already had the original. Good times!

Salazar

And now I've heard reports of how much of a tool he is I'm starting to see it in his interviews and mannerisms.

His take on B sides in the lower leagues convinced me he was a doofus and a bit of a prick.

All of the twitter and newspaper numpties who rallied to his defence calling people who rejected it xenophobes and primitives didn't help.

Arnie

His take on B sides in the lower leagues convinced me he was a doofus and a bit of a prick.

All of the twitter and newspaper numpties who rallied to his defence calling people who rejected it xenophobes and primitives didn't help.

Forget about that horribly flawed argument.

Sappy113

You got to give it to City. They have it pretty well figured out.

Hmm. They certainly had the right financial backing. I think that's about as much City had to figure out, and it worked out well. Almost had to. But let's not pretend City's up-rising is all about clever strategic planning and sound long-term development. Without Mansour, where'd City be right now?

I'm not dogging on Citys title. It was well-deserved, very consistent side that played a lot of good football and had a hell of a lot of perseverance. If it wasn't for SAF and that mentality of his United team, City would've probably won the EPL by a fairly comfortable margin.

But everything they do, say and is comes right down to the oil money.

Sappy113

The rivalry didn't stop Figo or Michael Laudrup. :p

Or Luis Enrique for that matter. Or Allan Nielsen :p.

For a vast majority of players, rivalries based in history and between fan groupings, means less than career advancement. Just the nature of the game now a days.

FootballFan

The rivalry didn't stop Figo or Michael Laudrup. :p

:(

Ronaldo has played for Inter-Ac Milan + Barca-Real Madrid. Don't think there is many that have done that, right ?

Ibra has played for Inter-Ac Milan-Juve + Barca. Looks like Madrid will be his next destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom