• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

jbrKt.jpg

Kenka

Seattle Sounders. Roger Levesque celebrating. By the way Sounders have some truly awesome fans, their utras behind the goal keep going through the whole game and they march through the city before every match.
Damn, this celebration caught me unguard. Hilarious and well-inspired.

It's possible but really Rooney isn't good enough at it IMO. He's a great player but he isn't a true play-maker. People who claim to be "in the know" (I mean proper itk's not just twitter fools) say Fergie wanted Hazard to be that player who conducts United's play and was happy to have Rooney playing up top. We'll see what happens anyway. Long summer ahead.

This. The statistics flatter to deceive when it comes to Rooney playing as a 10. He's still a great goalscorer, but we need a proper playmaker there to link our play through the middle; it's been frustrating to watch at times. His game will benefit from a narrower focus next season. He has the attributes to be a complete forward, in my opinion.

As for Hazard being looked at by Fergie to become our playmaker... I find that a bit questionable. Kagawa has certainly demonstrated the composure and vision to link up regularly and find the killer through-ball when it's on; Hazard strikes me as a more direct player, although he can be effective off the striker. Not saying there isn't interest, but I'm a bit doubtful of it being mainly in that capacity. However, Fergie loves rotation, so I'm sure he would play that role at some point if he did come.

Facism

Is it ok for a 21 year old to play pokemon?

Was talking a few mates about what we liked as kids and pokemon was an answer that everyone gave.

Now I want to play it again.

Like asking if it's still ok to wank once in a while even though you have a mrs.

The answer is yes.

fuenf

Mercedes has always been a "premium partner" of the DFB. I like the ad, it has style, the song is great and get's me hyped.

fuenf

i can understand it. :( but i just try to get myself hyped for the Euros rather than to dwell on saturdays events. it's not really working but at least it's easing the pain. i just hope that they either crash out in the group stages (and Löws becomes Bayern coach ;)) or win the fucking thing. dont think i could take another semifinals or finals defeat...

Kenka

Mercedes has always been a "premium partner" of the DFB. I like the ad, it has style, the song is great and get's me hyped.
Talking about cars and players in Germany. What brand should players playing for Bayern and Germany contractually own ? I think Bayern newcomers receive an Audi before when they sign their contract and German players called in the national team get a Mercedes-Benz. Don't tell me they each own two cars (?)

rodvik

No way will Germany crash out of the group. They are WAY too good. You are in with a good shout to win it I think.

fuenf

Talking about cars and players in Germany. What brand should players playing for Bayern and Germany contractually own ? I think Bayern newcomers receive an Audi before when they sign their contract and German players called in the national team get a Mercedes-Benz. Don't tell me they each own two cars (?)

Yeah wondered about it myself. You are right, Audi owns 9% of Bayern, so i dont think they will be too happy to see Bayern players in a Mercedes-Benz ommercial. But the DFB players dont get any cars from Mercedes-Benz (afaik).

Dont know. Finals are tricky. Right now I think its a toss up between you lot and Spain.

England and Ireland arent likely to make it out of their groups so I am going to need to pick a third team at some point :)

I'm worried about England tbh, the Chelsea thing might make them believe that they can win it Greece-style. :(

edit: normally yes but after the CL final i'm done expecting "my" team to win anything. from now on the motto is: always assume the worst! Kidding aside, they should win their group but it's in now way guaranteed. The Netherlands game will be extremely tough and Ronaldo can always score a goal or two for Portugal. :/

rodvik

I'm worried about England tbh, the Chelsea thing might make them believe that they can win it Greece-style. :(

Heh, maybe. But Roy cant play that way, he doesnt know how. He just plays 4-4-2.

I expect us to lose pretty badly to France and that will start the England/Press/Player/Manager death spiral blame game which will crush us for the remaining games.

PaulLFC

Yeah, Newcastle's scouting is really good.

Latest management rumour is that Martinez and AVB will be interviewed in Boston today. Rumours are saying it's seeming more likely Martinez will get the job.

dc89

Latest management rumour is that Martinez and AVB will be interviewed in Boston today. Rumours are saying it's seeming more likely Martinez will get the job.

Graham Carr is a beast.

He was a scout at City and Spurs prior to Newcastle. In a interview on the radio he was asked where he saw Cisse. He said he looked at him when he (Carr) was at City and that they tried to sign him but he had no passport and that stopped it.

Kenka

Well, it underlines further that ManU cannot afford a trio pack of Dortmund players. Lewandowski alone is at the very least worth 17M€ and that might be a bit too expensive already. On the other end, Watzke said that Kagawa will not leave for less than 20M€. The board is following a hard line.

I understand them, they let Sahin leave for peanuts to Madrid last year and this won't happen again, maybe ever.

dc89

My backlog is a joke:

Skyrim
Pokemon White
Xenoblade
Skyward Sword
GTA IV
MGS2 HD
Rayman Origins - Vita
SM3DL
Golden Sun

:(

And I want to pickup Disgea on Vita cause I'm getting a tad bored with Everybody's Golf

Edit: yeah, you're eyes are not tricking you. I'm actually remembering games I need to finish.

PaulLFC

Seems we're looking to appoint 5 roles, apart from DOC I don't know what progress we've made on them:

CEO - rumours saying David Dein is advising FSG, so could be him, or Brian Barwick
Director of Communications - said to be already appointed (Jen Chang)
Director Of Football - Rumours last week it'll be Txiki Begiristain, let's hope so
Technical Director - Rumours Pep Segura was getting promoted, he's already Academy Technical Manager, so this would seem to make sense
First Team Coach - AVB/Martinez? Rafa? (not likely :()

PowderedToast

i would prefer this (out of the known candidates).

i know a lot of fans are rightly apprehensive about the martinez wigan buzz, but he's demonstrated a lot of great qualities (tactical ingenuity, player loyalty, great PR) and what he pulled off was a genuine feat. also, unlike other bigger names he'll be more content with our current squad - which despite their underwhelming performances last season are still a big step up from wigan, especially in growth potential.

some managers just need a shot at the big time and they blossom. would it be better to take the plunge on martinez a year down the line? probably. but we need a manager now.

kharma45

Well, it underlines further that ManU cannot afford a trio pack of Dortmund players. Lewandowski alone is at the very least worth 17M€ and that might be a bit too expensive already. On the other end, Watzke said that Kagawa will not leave for less than 20M€. The board is following a hard line.

I understand them, they let Sahin leave for peanuts to Madrid last year and this won't happen again, maybe ever.

I don't see the need to try and sign Hummels (or even Subotic) from Dortmund, that's presuming Dortmund would sell either and either player would be willing to go. I could only see United targeting Lewandowski and Kagawa as I think Rio has one more decent season in him left, we've Vidic to come back and hopefully Smalling will stay injury free.

Carbonox

Another gem on a free? Newcastle making other clubs's scouting departments look unimaginative.

Yeah, Graham Carr is a fantastic scout. I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs tried to headhunt him or will try to.

Wonder what other obscure European talent we will try to acquire, outside of bigger name signings.

dc89

Sky Sports 1 now - hold the back page special.

Interesting what theyre saying about the Liverpool job. They said managers are already in work are turning them down because of the process of Liverpool are doing. Martin Samuel said Brendan Rodgers said no because he was invited to talk about the job, he might not have got it and then his position at Swansea is compromised.

PaulLFC

i would prefer this (out of the known candidates).

i know a lot of fans are rightly apprehensive about the martinez wigan buzz, but he's demonstrated a lot of great qualities (tactical ingenuity, player loyalty, great PR) and what he pulled off was a genuine feat. also, unlike other bigger names he'll be more content with our current squad - which despite their underwhelming performances last season are still a big step up from wigan, especially in growth potential.

some managers just need a shot at the big time and they blossom. would it be better to take the plunge on martinez a year down the line? probably. but we need a manager now.
It's a big risk. He might turn out to be a great manager for us, but it's a massive gamble.

If there's any truth to the rumours, I'm still amazed they haven't spoken to Rafa. FSG want us in the Champions League - they proved that much when Ayre started with the "FA Cup final didn't matter, trophies aren't important, 4th place is" stuff. Rafa has experience of getting us to the Champions League, he won it and got us to another final. Even his critics will usually admit that he's at his best in European competition.

And then we have the fact that Rafa knows the academy and FSG want us to focus on younger players with lower wages. Required quality number two.

According to the Anfield Wrap yesterday, they're excluding him based on what they've heard about him, without giving him an interview which would be a fair chance to present his ideas.

Really poor decision.

Choc

Banned
on the football weekly podcast they said that rafa won't get a look in because FSG don't want someone the fans love from day 1 because it gives the manager to much power (they felt this happened with Dalglish)

:|

Carbonox

Morning TV fucking sucks, with E4 getting worse with its scheduling. Super Nanny? Glee? One Tree Hill? Bitch please. Have to wait until later for Desperate Housewives, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement and Big Bang Theory.

Salvadora

on the football weekly podcast they said that rafa won't get a look in because FSG don't want someone the fans love from day 1 because it gives the manager to much power (they felt this happened with Dalglish)

:|

I didn't even think of that but to exclude Rafa would be insane. He could bring the progress FSG want.

PowderedToast

It's a big risk. He might turn out to be a great manager for us, but it's a massive gamble.

If there's any truth to the rumours, I'm still amazed they haven't spoken to Rafa. FSG want us in the Champions League - they proved that much when Ayre started with the "FA Cup final didn't matter, trophies aren't important, 4th place is" stuff. Rafa has experience of getting us to the Champions League, he won it and got us to another final. Even his critics will usually admit that he's at his best in European competition.

And then we have the fact that Rafa knows the academy and FSG want us to focus on younger players with lower wages. Required quality number two.

According to the Anfield Wrap yesterday, they're excluding him based on what they've heard about him, without giving him an interview which would be a fair chance to present his ideas.

Really poor decision.
i agree actually, i'd forgotten about him being a candidate because there's been so little talk of him. if that's true then it's absurd. the only reason i can figure for the dismay is that he's a previous manager, and with that would bring baggage and expectation - just like dalglish. but that goes both ways because his understanding of the club is unquestionable. regardless of whether they feel the same there's no reason not to have a talk with the guy, though.

Allegri says he wants a smaller squad next year, but is keeping Silva and Ibra. With all their injuries this season I can't see this as a good idea. On the other hand, the savings in medical costs alone might pay Ibra's salary.

Hixx

Morning TV fucking sucks, with E4 getting worse with its scheduling. Super Nanny? Glee? One Tree Hill? Bitch please. Have to wait until later for Desperate Housewives, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement and Big Bang Theory.

there is only one good show in the list

and one show that used to be good but has gone on too long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom