• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Honestly I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

My best guess is FSG have a plan, they have some people that for one reason or another they haven't announced as hiring yet (perhaps they want to get them in a group and do them all at the same time), and we'll hear about a new manager in a few weeks.

Capello would be an incredible appointment, but realistically do you think he's the one to start a new young, progressive team in a fresh, progressive management structure? Personally, I do not. I'd rather we got 5th place or 6th place next year with a manager putting together a long term project and youth players coming through than go all out in a push for 4th with nothing changing and the football being ugly.

Well, since the management structure seems to take transfers away from managerial control, I don't see that keeping the team 'young & progressive'(what does progressive even mean in this context?) will be too difficult. And though the management structure may be fresh & progressive, the role that Capello would take is not particularly different to many of his previous club jobs. He has worked under DoFs before and I'm sure will have no problem just handling tactics & training.

Seems to me that going for the pretty much guaranteed success of Capello for 2-3years & then hiring from a much stronger position is a decent plan. Taking a punt on the still fairly unproven targets that Liverpool currently have to pursue could so easily backfire.

Arnie said:
I still tip Martinez and AVB to be the front runners. As much as I've criticised Martinez, the AVB stories frighten me to a point. And now I've heard reports of how much of a tool he is I'm starting to see it in his interviews and mannerisms.

Sounds like a pretty clear case of consistency bias there Arnie.

RaGe_pt

On the other hand, his Porto team couldn't say enough about his man management.

The fact is Chelsea wasn't ready for AVB and AVB wasn't ready for Chelsea. The guy is, in my opinion, still a great manager and will succeed in the future.

Yeah he did great here. Everyone was playing, everyone was focused on playing and winning titles. His man management here was perfect. But he had a great team of managers helping him like Vitor Pereira (our current manager, won the title for us this year too) and Pedro Emanuel (current Academica manager, won the Portuguese Cup this year). These two men helped him a lot here in FC Porto.

Choc

Banned
1121:
FOOTBALL
Fifa have appointed the first female member of the world governing body's executive committee.

Lydia Nsekera, president of the Burundi Football Association, has been co-opted onto the executive committee and will be formally installed at the Fifa Congress in Budapest on Friday.

wonder if she will be a corrupt arsehole as well

Choc

Banned
Manchester City have won the Premier League title and are also top of the league of value for fans, according to the ING Direct Value table.

The bank chart compares club season ticket costs with Premier League performance and entertainment value and getting the most points for your pound.

ING places QPR, who just avoided relegation, at the bottom of the table.

Wigan, who had a great escape from relegation, are second best value, and West Bromwich Albion third.

Second bottom were Liverpool, whose eighth-place finish in the top flight, Carling Cup triumph and FA Cup final place were not enough to counteract a high season ticket cost and poor scoring record.

Carbonox

1121:
FOOTBALL
Fifa have appointed the first female member of the world governing body's executive committee.

Lydia Nsekera, president of the Burundi Football Association, has been co-opted onto the executive committee and will be formally installed at the Fifa Congress in Budapest on Friday.

You wonder? Mate, it's one of the criteria for getting the job! :p

Manchester City have won the Premier League title and are also top of the league of value for fans, according to the ING Direct Value table.

The bank chart compares club season ticket costs with Premier League performance and entertainment value and getting the most points for your pound.

Wigan, who had a great escape from relegation, are second best value, and West Bromwich Albion third.

Second bottom were Liverpool, whose eighth-place finish in the top flight, Carling Cup triumph and FA Cup final place were not enough to counteract a high season ticket cost and poor scoring record.

Here is a link to the article.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

OvAG1.gif

Reading about Villas Boas, he shouldn't go anywhere near Liverpool or, indeed, the UK.

English players will never act like that. It's too much of a commitment when you can be in Pepsi ads and bang hot chicks.

panty

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Real Madrid CF and Jose Mourinho have reached an agreement to extend the latter's contract with the club until 30 June 2016.

GOODD YYEESSSSSSS OMMGGOGOMGOGG

dc89

City doesn't deserve any credit at all - I don't know where you and Kermit came up with this notion that because they spent a shit load of money and have found loopholes and cracks in the rules (like all rich people do) that they deserve some kind of applause. They don't. And they aren't even very good at spending money when you look at how much it cost them to put the team together. It's a great team but the front line alone cost at least £100m!

Cracks and loopholes? I didn't know selling your players at a time which suited is against some sort of rule.

Let UEFA decide if there is anything wrong with the sponsorships, but considering how they've been open with City and had a lot of talks I can't see them having too much against them.

I think effectively city stock piled players that they could sell to raise money for players.

Maybe. But Hughes bought some really ill fits but at the same time some wonderful players.

The best you can do?

Jumped-up QPR.

All the charm and self-awareness of fucking Leeds at their worst. When there was ostensibly going to be a Leeds era.

QPR? How can you compare the two?

You make the statement 'City will try and sell big this summer'. When a club is trying to sell then power shifts to the buyers, this is particularly extreme in City's case since their deadwood players are on much higher wages than otherwise, thus they are even more motivated to sell. The most rational buyers would probably simply offer £0 and if rejected pursue alternative targets or attempt to get City to loan once again. Of course this is oversimplified somewhat & clubs and managers are not purely rational, nor is transfers some perfect free market, but still the money raised could easily be very low. The 2/3 quality signings City have been connected with thus far would all cost £30million plus, even assuming they just sign one & pursue one or 2 cheaper targets they would still probably spend way in excess of what they bring in.

edit: as to your comment about sponsorship dealings, consider Man Utd. Their colossal commercial revenue fails to even cover their whole wage bill, which is smaller than City's. It's difficult to imagine City would be able to come close to covering even just wages with commercial revenue without a clear violation of fair value.

Yeah they are bound to spend more this summer than what they will get in return for players they sell.

In terms of commercial revenue, it's the area which was highlighted a few seasons back, City just had none basically. Next it's match day revenue, United are leagues ahead of basically anyone else in England.

Hmm. They certainly had the right financial backing. I think that's about as much City had to figure out, and it worked out well. Almost had to. But let's not pretend City's up-rising is all about clever strategic planning and sound long-term development. Without Mansour, where'd City be right now?

I'm not dogging on Citys title. It was well-deserved, very consistent side that played a lot of good football and had a hell of a lot of perseverance. If it wasn't for SAF and that mentality of his United team, City would've probably won the EPL by a fairly comfortable margin.

But everything they do, say and is comes right down to the oil money.

They'd have gone bankrupt.

2016 eh?

I guess we all know when Fergie's going to retire then!

Who knows when Fergie will go.

PaulLFC

This FIFA talk reminded me of Said and Done. From this week's column, the season awards:

Roughest justice
-------------------
Ghana:
Accra Hearts of Oak, given a "strange and contentious" £1,000 fine in November for delaying kick-off against Ebusua Dwarfs. The delay happened after two of their players "were forced out of the stadium by Dwarfs fans and made to buy tickets to get back in again". Both players were also fined. Hearts: "They got a raw deal."

dc89

Here is a link to the article.

Rightly deserved. Considering you can get a season ticket for less than £450.

Arnie

Sounds like a pretty clear case of consistency bias there Arnie.
Honestly I don't know who I want to come in as manager. Well, I do, but there's no way Benitez will be offered the job. In terms of the remaining candidates I couldn't tell you who will offer the best strategy going forwards, but I'm at least glad those conducting the interviews will be, in some capacity, footballing people.

Cappello's too old for me and can't speak the language. Martinez is completely unproven at the level he'd be going into. AVB's an excellent tactician, efficient in the transfer market but a horrible man manager and, from the sounds of things, a bit of a tit.

immy

Banned
His take on B sides in the lower leagues convinced me he was a doofus and a bit of a prick.

All of the twitter and newspaper numpties who rallied to his defence calling people who rejected it xenophobes and primitives didn't help.

He was 100% right though, this was proof for me that AVB was an intelligent man.

PaulLFC

From James Pearce in the Echo:

The names of Frank Rijkaard, Michael Laudrup, Laurent Blanc, Guus Hiddink and Louis Van Gaal have all been discussed by FSG, along with that of Didier Deschamps.

While a number of approaches have been publicly rebuffed, FSG insist others have been privately accepted. They are determined to keep as much of the process under wraps as possible.

---

I think Deschamps already ruled himself out. I hope the second part is true though about this all being done in private. The outcome could be better than expected if that's the case. To FSG's credit, they do seem to want to do things in private. It'd help if Dave Whelan didn't decide to run to SSN and wherever else as soon as they asked to speak to Martinez.

Clegg

I've just had a epiphany.

Hazard, Kagawa, Lewandowski?

They are all just a smokescreen for our real target.

Gaitan.

Soi-Fong

Gaitan.

Please... No...

If not Hazard, please at least get Kagawa! He'll easily pay for himself with shirt sales just from Japan!

Gaitan.

arresteddevelopment_magician_with_an_added_SAFhead.gif

Here is a summary of the pre-Euro friendlies:
http://www.uefa.com/friendlies/season=2012/matches/index.html

What I find interesting/will probably be watching:

Russia - Uruguay

Denmark - Brazil
Switzerland - Germany

Spain - Korea

Italy - Russia

England - Belgium
Portugal - Turkey

pappe

Gaitan.

Pfffft.... Our real target is Powell. SAF doesnt want City and Chelsea to be corrupting the young boys mind so all these 'rumors' are just distractions.

Chelsea have confirmed Drogba will be leaving when his contract expires in June!

'I wanted to put an end to all the speculation and confirm that I am leaving Chelsea. It has been a very difficult decision for me to make and I am very proud of what we have achieved but the time is right for a new challenge for me. As a team we have accomplished so much and have won every single trophy possible. Saturday was a very special moment for everyone at the club and for all the fans, and I am very proud to have played my part in bringing many trophies to this club, which has been my home for the last eight years. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at the club especially Roman and my team-mates, many of whom have become very close friends and will be my friends for life. I would also like to say a very special thank you to the Chelsea fans who have shown me so much love and support over the years. I wish the club all the best and continued success for the future - you will always be in my heart.'

iDkHs893hQAz9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom