• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

defel

Drogba was always going to be a Chelsea legend but after Saturday I think he's elevated himself to the level above. If I were in his position Id move to the MLS, I dont understand what would be attractive about moving to China but its possible that Drogba values money more than I do.

jtb

Banned
DRogba in the MLS would be awesome, but I bet in China he'd command Beckham/Eto'o-like wages, wheras he wouldn't get quite such absurd amounts in the US.

edit: And doesn't Drogba donate most of his wages to charity? I can see him going after the big money if that's the case... and fair play to him; he's earned it. great great player.

Meier

I actually want to see him in the MLS. He can only bring more popularity to the sport here and he'd be tearing up all the MLS teams. lol

Too expensive I'd imagine especially if that Chinese club is offering him £10 million per year or whatever the rumor was.

Messi

'I wanted to put an end to all the speculation and confirm that I am leaving Chelsea. It has been a very difficult decision for me to make and I am very proud of what we have achieved but the time is right for a new challenge for me. As a team we have accomplished so much and have won every single trophy possible. Saturday was a very special moment for everyone at the club and for all the fans, and I am very proud to have played my part in bringing many trophies to this club, which has been my home for the last eight years. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at the club especially Roman and my team-mates, many of whom have become very close friends and will be my friends for life. I would also like to say a very special thank you to the Chelsea fans who have shown me so much love and support over the years. I wish the club all the best and continued success for the future - you will always be in my heart.'

iDkHs893hQAz9.gif

Such an amazing GIF

Clegg

City have released the following players:

Gai Assulin
Sean Tse
Ahmed Benali
Owen Hargreaves

Source: Mcfc.co.uk

I feel sorry for Hargo. He was a quality player when he was fit. He would have been perfect for United had he remained injury free.

Then he went and ruined it by acting the prick in interviews.

dc89

Guess he (Benali) turned down that supposed contract offer someone mentioned above!

Yeah Viva mentioned it. Ahh well.

Most exciting youngsters at City are:

Wabara (right back and captain)
Rekik (centre back)
Razak (central midfielder)
Suarez (attacking midfielder)
Joan Angel Roman (forward)

As long as we keep them.

I feel sorry for Hargo. He was a quality player when he was fit. He would have been perfect for United had he remained injury free.

Then he went and ruined it by acting the prick in interviews.

Yeah his body just can't do it anymore, that's quite obvious. It was worth a punt by Mancini on a free too. The idea though was he would be fit enough to play when Yaya went away in January and do a job. Obviously he wasn't and that forced the hand and we got Pizarro in on loan, who has now returned to Roma btw.

dc89

Drogba has another 2 years in him I feel. He could still do the business in the Premier League.

Well I guess it's time for Nando to step up!

City have released the following players:

Gai Assulin
Sean Tse
Ahmed Benali
Owen Hargreaves

Source: Mcfc.co.uk
Can't say I'm surprised about this.

He has the chance to go to West Ham last season, was keen, Vieira snapped him in training though and he damaged his ankle. West Ham wanted him to contribute to his own medical expenses, City took care of everything for him. Back fit now and looking for a new club. Boro' and West Ham most likely.

Big City fan though, he's gutted to leave but knows he won't get games there.

Arnie

It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea sign a striker that complements Torres' abilities or someone that pretty much canibalises them. If they sign Falcao, for example, then it doesn't really demonstrate a great deal of belief in Torres as a goalscorer.

Saying that, Torres has always been a striker that relishes playing alone up front. In my opinion a signing like Hazard who can play as a number 10 in the hole is a far better signing for Torres than a big striker next to him.

elsk

Banned
Lars-Bender--007.jpg

http://www.sportal.de/sportal/generated/dreierkette/index_rumor1902.html
Sportal: In case Javi Martinez transfer failed, Lars Bender is on the list as an alternative !

Luuk-de-Jong_2758820.jpg

Bayern are interested in Twente's 21-year-old Dutch striker Luuk de Jong, according to the printed version of tomorrow's "Sport Bild". He would cost around 8 million Euros.

And also:

hahahhahahah

Facism

So i'm in my second season as Fenerbahce in fm2012 and i bought Andriy Yarmolenko. DIS GUY MUST BE A GENIUS OR SUTIN. Just looked him up now and he's apparently quite good :p

He smashed 6 goals past birmingham in a preseason friendly.

GQman2121

Banned
DRogba in the MLS would be awesome, but I bet in China he'd command Beckham/Eto'o-like wages, wheras he wouldn't get quite such absurd amounts in the US.

edit: And doesn't Drogba donate most of his wages to charity? I can see him going after the big money if that's the case... and fair play to him; he's earned it. great great player.

I believe the China rumor is something insane like £230,000 a week. Plus, he could do well in that market. He has the personality that Asia likes to cheer for.

You need a right back. Who do you want?

I'm actually fine with the idea of Ivanovic as the primary RB.

Between the rotation of Terry, Luiz and Cahill, plus the possible - but looking unlikely - return of Jeffrey Burma from Hamburger, and we have some pretty solid depth at CB if everyone can stay fit and get along.

Obviously, a Kyle Walker (did he extend already?) conversation would be nice. If Spurs wanted to cash out and go with Naughton, I don't think anyone would blame them.

I know he extended his contract last summer, but given his age and seemingly unsettled position in the squad, Micah Richards is also attractive.

Van der Wiel is the rumor that just won't die. I'm sure if he steps up at Euros we'll be closely linked with him again and used to bump up his asking price. I hear he didn't have such a hot season for Ajax, though they won the league.

Piszczek & Azpilicueta are the newest fullbacks to pop up on the rumor lists. I don't know how well they would transition into the Premier League, but both are definitely talents that have done well for their current clubs.

If we're looking to go young and developing, Danny Da Costa at Leverkusen is always someone who seems to do well in videogame form. :p

elsk

Banned
Wanted to share this post from a guy in another forum about Bayern, it's pretty good:

As a veteran Bayern Munich supporter (I had the red-white Bayern heart implanted at the beginning of season 76/77), I am no stranger to experiencing heartache courtesy of FCB. I've watched the Europe Cup and CL final defeats of 1982, 1987, 1999, 2010, and now 2012. I also watched the last successful campaign of 2001. I read the comments of Hoeness in the media in recent days, have been reflecting on 2001, and decided to share my thoughts with you. So, for what it's worth, here are my views:

1) After the 1999 defeat against Man United, Hoeness publicly voiced a vote of confidence for the team. He felt that 'something was growing together'. Two years later just about the same team won the title. When questioned a couple of days ago, he withheld such a statement for the current team, even though he was asked twice. Understandable: just watch the penalty shootout of 2001, observe the body language of players like Lizarazu, Linke, or Effenberg, compare it with the drama from last Saturday, and a distinct difference in attitude and determination is obvious.

2) Hoeness questions the character of the team. He is missing the likes of a Jens Jeremies, a player who'd 'bite his opponents' calf's already on the way to the pitch', and he is wondering if the current team is the group of men who can actually force a victory. After the recent debacles against Dortmund and now Chelsea he has reason to wonder.

3) Hoeness says that coming second for Bayern is not an option, and it is going to change.

4) Hoeness admitted that the club is in much better position than after the disappointing 2006/2007 season, and doesn't see reason for a similar cull of the squad (back then they signed Klose, Toni, Ribery, Ailtintop, Ze Roberto plus six others).

5) Hoeness stated he he will not shy away from making hard decision if need be.

6) Bayern won't do anything financially stupid when it comes to new players, and they will monitor closely what's going to happen at Euro 2012.

Add Nerlinger's comments about 20 equal players competing for the right to play, and 60 mio Euro being reinvested into the team, the following picture emerges (for me anyway):

a) The whole team will be put on notice by the start of the next season.

b) Those seen as not up to scratch will be shown the door. Usami, Olic, Pranjic, Breno and Butt are gone already, and I personally believe that Contento, Rafinha, Petersen and probably Tymo are not far behind, and I personally will shed no tears. The new additions will have substantially higher quality than those who leave, and we got a whiff of that already with the Dante/Breno and Shaqiri/Usami swaps.

c) There will be no A-Team and B-Team any longer, there will be no starting 11 as experienced this year but 20 players who will have to fight hard in training for the right to play. DvB lamented earlier this year how some players demonstrated a lack lustre attitude in training, and saw that as the reason for the mid season decline in the Bundesliga. FCB will be less predictable.

d) The opposition will need to learn again that beating Bayern comes at a price, and that the attempt to do so will be painful. There was a time when forwards where scared of approaching an Oliver Kahn 1-1, when attacking players were 'greeted' by a van Bommel, or met Jeremies on the way to the pitch.

e) I believe we will not see 'dramatic' changes (meaning replacing those players considered key), but 'substantial' additions (meaning guys who will add quality to the team). I think we can forget about the players who have been linked with Bayern so far. The ball game has changed as a result of the Chelsea match. Giroud was the first victim, and I don't think that a Mertens will happen. All those young players located in Italy, Spain, or England with a massive price tag attached will not happen either. However, if the board comes to the conclusion that a Javi Martinez or Yaya Toure is what they need, then they will make it happen.

f) Pizarro is not the much debated 'bomb' alternative for Gomez, someone who can play and score against the likes of Barcelona. I doubt that Bayern currently know who exactly they are after.

g) Bayern will be polarizing more, both on and off the pitch. They have been too nice to the opposition. I am expecting a more aggressive attitude when it comes to transfers from Bundesliga opponents. I believe that Bayern are motivated to sign Pizarro partially to take him 'off the marked' and prevent him to scoring goals for Dortmund, Schalke, or Gladbach. Besides, he is a great player to have around. Bayern apparently have put their hand up for Hoewedes and Lewandowski which is going to unsettle both Schalke and Dortmund. They either let them go, or increase salaries which will put strain on the cash flow. Applying this kind of pressure has worked well for Bayern in the past (for instance with Dortmund in the mid 90ies). In other words: the gloves are off.

h) There will be a short return to FC Hollywood as A-Team players find themselves on the bench and watch others play. Some will be able to stand the new heat in the kitchen and will accept the challenge, others won't and will leave. Ce la vie.

As a final comment: Hoeness sees reason to act, no doubt. The next couple of months will be very exciting.

God those Barca kits really are ugly. Talk about a captive audience.

One of the best central defenders of the world as of today, two years ago was easily the best one. Plus he has proved himself to be pretty good even when we need to score. Hasn't played for the last two months (injured), though, and did some mistakes this season, conceding some shots and goal.

Please City, buy someone else. If we lose him, we'll have to play with Yepes and Acerbi as our CBs. Think about it.

Goal.com Italia said today that Snejider may have asked Boateng and Ibra to speak with Galliani and see if we could buy him next summer. That will definitely happen, I mean, we're full of money. If inter accept a one million offer, he'll be ours. Yup.

You guys are really going to have an awful transfer season. It reminds me of Inter's last year. You'll splash on a big name (Montolivilol is your Forlan) and then a bunch of utterly average purchases. I'm not sure what Milan is doing. Are you just trying to consolidate? Wouldn't it have been better to keep a couple of the old guard around at that point? Surely Nesta on his worst day is better than Yepes on his best...

Also, no worries. You might actually get Sneijder after all. Inter have purchased the one, the only, the Serie A legend, Palacio! Scudetto contenders, for sure. If there's one thing Juventini and Milanistas can agree upon is just how absolute shit Inter is.

Are we discussing who is the 2nd best Serie A defender?

We all know Barzagli is the best, right Juve-GAF ? :p

Barzagli was the best defender this campaign. Easily. There's no player who was even close to his class this year.

With Drogba retiring, is it going to be Higuain -> Cavani -> RVP -> Torres -> Dzeko ..... -> Amauri -> Drogba? Common Marotta, show us a young WC striker!

thaOwner

I believe the China rumor is something insane like £230,000 a week. Plus, he could do well in that market. He has the personality that Asia likes to cheer for.

If he decides to go to China, Im positive its because he wants to be closer to his family and also the money too but mostly because he wants to be closer to home.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Living in NYC for my entire childhood way back when Soccer was nonexistant in my life. I was forced to play it as a kid (because my mom really wanted me out of the house on those weekends) but it was still pretty much just a blip on my radar, I always found it intriguing but never really got emotionally invested into the sport.

Then one day much later I happened to catch a man named Didier Drogba in action. It was my true introduction to the most beautiful game, I had never seen anything quite like that before and I latched onto the sport, and both Drogba and Chelsea fairly quickly. He was always my favorite footballer and still is to this day.

So thanks for all the good memories Drogba. Hopefully you end up somewhere other than China just because selfishly I'd like to still watch some of your games.

flyover

With all these different pieces I'm sure FSG have a plan, it's just a complicated one to piece together from the outside. Add to that their slightly unconventional methods of inviting numerous managers for interviews before making a decision and you've got a whirlwind of confusion.

I can totally see how it'd seem weird if that's not how things are done there, but it's SOP for coaching hires in the US.

Fire manager --> Assemble pool of candidates for interviews --> Pick one

...as opposed to...

Fire manager with replacement in mind --> Interview --> Hire or repeat process with next preferred candidate

Not saying it's better or worse, just that it's typically how things are done here -- perhaps because it makes it more like the hiring/interview process for most other businesses.

dc89

BBC Sports live thing have just put up twitter message someone sent in:

Woolwich - RVP going. Spurs - exodus. N'castle - 1 season wonders. Chelski - Drogba gone. LFC - joke. CL wide open for Everton

Imagine Everton in the CL! If they don't have a bad start like they usually do they could really push on.

fuenf

I doubt that Götze will play with Özil, makes much more sense to use him as a sub for any of the 3 attacking midfield positions.

If he decides to go to China, Im positive its because he wants to be closer to his family and also the money too but mostly because he wants to be closer to home.

Isn't it about the same? Obviously depending on where in China and where in the US the clubs that wants him are located, but the nearest borders are about the same (and Shanghai with Anelka is at the border not facing towards Africa).

Oxx

Imagine Everton in the CL! If they don't have a bad start like they usually do they could really push on.

It's all set-up for Solskjaer to take Villa into the CL.

I doubt that Götze will play with Özil, makes much more sense to use him as a sub for any of the 3 attacking midfield positions.

I doubt it too but just because Löw is strange and only wants to play Götze in the centre.

Also, Götze was out for half a year, it would make sense to start him and use someone else as sub. He's full of power, he'd make his international breakthrough this summer.

fuenf

I doubt it too but just because Löw is strange and only wants to play Götze in the centre.

Also, Götze was out for half a year, it would make sense to start him and use someone else as sub. He's full of power, he'd make his international breakthrough this summer.

But Podolski, Özil and Müller are all proven starters. So far they have shown an amazing understanding and it would be crazy to break things up. If the Real Madrid games are anything to go by Özil wont last the full 90 minutes anyway.

Hixx

They were in it not so long ago.

And the 'best ref ever' fucked them over...

Wilbur

Banned
Slow day for news apart from Drogba. The man's a legend, wish he wasn't leaving the Prem. Best way to go out ever.

Seeing Jay-Z and Kanye West tonight WOOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom