• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

rififi

I should have probably posted this in the Euro thread, but I am scared to post there. So I will post my opinion of Spain (and football in general) here.

Spain starting playing with possession football, tiki-taka - lots of short passes, etc because they are a team of physically small players. They had to play this way because this was the best way to get around larger and stronger players. It certainly isn't (and shouldn't be) the only way to play football, but it is the best way to play with Spain's current players. If they try to play differently, they will most likely get out-muscled by other teams.
Some teams have a combination of large and small players, others just have large players. Not every team can play like Spain because they don't have the same type of players nor can Spain play like other squads.

Football is about playing to the strengths of your squad and the weaknesses of your opponents. You can condition players in a certain direction, but this takes time and some players simply don't have the natural potential to play differently.

About today's game: it was a boring match because Spain wasn't taking enough risks. They were waiting for an opening in Croatia's 8-man defense, so they just held the ball as long as possible to prevent a counter-attack. There was also some poor passing as well, but again, it is difficult for any team to get by an 8-man defense.

Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with playing defensively from a tactical point of view if it gives your team the best chance of winning (or advancing in a tournament). Is it boring to watch? usually, yes. Should we complain that this is anti-football and everyone should be playing with short, perfectly placed passes? no, some teams simply can't play like that.

Having said that, I do think Croatia should have played with more pressure. I watched them play before and it wasn't necessary for them to play so defensively. They have the players to play more offensively and this game should have been about who scored more goals rather than who conceded the least.

Yen

The thought just came into my head that maybe the reason Fady doesn't post here much is because the monsters we have become. He's ashamed of us.

Hixx

I should have probably posted this in the Euro thread, but I am scared to post there. So I will post my opinion of Spain (and football in general) here.

Spain starting playing with possession football, tiki-taka - lots of short passes, etc because they are a team of physically small players. They had to play this way because this was the best way to get around larger and stronger players. It certainly isn't (and shouldn't be) the only way to play football, but it is the best way to play with Spain's current players. If they try to play differently, they will most likely get out-muscled by other teams.
Some teams have a combination of large and small players, others just have large players. Not every team can play like Spain because they don't have the same type of players nor can Spain play like other squads.

Football is about playing to the strengths of your squad and the weaknesses of your opponents. You can condition players in a certain direction, but this takes time and some players simply don't have the natural potential to play differently.

About today's game: it was a boring match because Spain wasn't taking enough risks. They were waiting for an opening in Croatia's 8-man defense, so they just held the ball as long as possible to prevent a counter-attack. There was also some poor passing as well, but again, it is difficult for any team to get by an 8-man defense.

Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with playing defensively from a tactical point of view if it gives your team the best chance of winning (or advancing in a tournament). Is it boring to watch? usually, yes. Should we complain that this is anti-football and everyone should be playing with short, perfectly placed passes? no, some teams simply can't play like that.

Having said that, I do think Croatia should have played with more pressure. I watched them play before and it wasn't necessary for them to play so defensively. They have the players to play more offensively and this game should have been about who scored more goals rather than who conceded the least.

this is too long to be a witty 5 a side team name

elsk

Banned
I enjoyed the Croatia - Spain match, don't get the hate.

The thought just came into my head that maybe the reason Fady doesn't post here much is because the monsters we have become. He's ashamed of us.

Maybe he doesn't post here because of you, cunt.

Fry

You'll need an awful player called Mario, tho.

iG6uK0SiQoWPe.gif

Hixx

Fuck I might have to buy these two:

Avengers-Movie-Black-Widow-Hot-Toys-010_1339678574.jpg

[img.]http://www.toyark.com/attachments/13758d1338762562-hot-20toys-20-20the-20avengers-20-20thor-20-20updated-20head-20sculpt_2.jpg[/img]

Not even a figure collector but these are hot. But $180 ...

holy shit the johansson one would be great for masturbating to

she even has the disgusted look onher fce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom