• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Ba deserves it, surely.

Yeah but we have a strict wage ladder. Ba's supposedly on 50k a week. Any increase would be marginal. Not sure what our maximum is but we have players on 60k a week who need to be booted out ASAP (Alan Smith and Xisco mainly).

GorillaJu

Untited are by far the most popular team in Asia as a whole, I reckon. Find it hard to believe Arsenal are more popular?

Japan is not Asia as a whole, though. Most other Asian countries aren't particularly fond of Japanese people. The country where United has the strongest hold is South Korea, and you'll never see a Korean get excited over a Japanese athlete. Malaysia and Cambodia have humongous Liverpool and United fan bases, but they largely don't think of Japanese players as being anything like them, in the same way I don't cheer for a Scottish player just because he's white.

It's only anecdotal, but I've never met a Manchester United fan in Japan. The most prominent two names are Arsenal and Chelsea. People like Wenger. Not sure why Chelsea has such a large fanbase. Probably just because they're successful.

If you go to a soccer shop in Japan, most of the merchandise (for foreign leagues) is for either Spanish teams, or teams with Japanese players (Inter, Dortmund, Arsenal). There's the token push for PL teams, but United gets no more space than Liverpool does. Chelsea is probably the winner here. Actually Liverpool probably got more (than Utd) up until now, because Nike isn't as popular a kit brand as Adidas.

Messi

Anyone familiar with the sizing of Nike football shirts? Is Medium like a 38"-40" chest?

Only cause on Soccer Triads they say small is a 40" chest which I find a bit hard to believe. But I don't know.

I know the new Barca kit is L is 38-40 and a small is 34-36 go with Large. Kitbag says the international kits are the same.

go with small

nike shirts are made for fat cows. got a medium once and it was like a blouse

I find Nike runs smaller than Adidas, well maybe I do because I am 6'6 and 250 pounds. Sleeves are so bloody short also.

Nikes jerseys are inconsistent. I have their Arsenal kits as a large and they fit well (I'm quite a buff guy) but their International kits are sized differently. My Holland 2010 WC is too big, I decided to go L again for the Euro 2012 away kit but am thinking it'll be too big. The arm sleeves are too small when I wear them at the gym anyway.

This man speaks the truth, Nike kits are all over the place with sizing. This year the sleeves are criminally short.

Thanks man! I think the France home shirt is going to kick off my collection! Unless anyone else thinks there is a better shirt to start a collection :p

I am a big fan of the France away as it does not look like a football kit.

I am also a fan of the german away kit, as it is damn sexy.

ShogunX

lille.jpg-large

What

The

Sloosha

^ NOOOOOOO!!!!

Japan is not Asia as a whole, though. Most other Asian countries aren't particularly fond of Japanese people. The country where United has the strongest hold is South Korea, and you'll never see a Korean get excited over a Japanese athlete. Malaysia and Cambodia have humongous Liverpool and United fan bases, but they largely don't think of Japanese players as being anything like them, in the same way I don't cheer for a Scottish player just because he's white.

It's only anecdotal, but I've never met a Manchester United fan in Japan. The most prominent two names are Arsenal and Chelsea. People like Wenger. Not sure why Chelsea has such a large fanbase. Probably just because they're successful.

If you go to a soccer shop in Japan, most of the merchandise (for foreign leagues) is for either Spanish teams, or teams with Japanese players (Inter, Dortmund, Arsenal). There's the token push for PL teams, but United gets no more space than Liverpool does. Chelsea is probably the winner here. Actually Liverpool probably got more (than Utd) up until now, because Nike isn't as popular a kit brand as Adidas.

Yeah, it's funny how people conflate korean and Japanese fandom.

Interesting to know that Chelsea have a sizeable following in Japan. Let's get Kagawa before the Fifa Club World Cup Gourlay.

Messi

Eric Abidal posted this on Facebook:

Hello. After my first day at home, and as I promised, I am writing you to give you news. First of all, Gérard and I would like to thank all the medical teams of the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona: the surgeons, the doctors, the nurses, the physiotherapists…of UCI – ESCALA 7 and ESCALA 9 of the 3rd floor! Thank you from the heart, for all you do every day for the people who come in your departments. Unfortunately, your activities are not enough highlighted and I take this opportunity to pay a great tribute to all of you! Voluntarily, I don’t quote your names, but you will recognize [yourselves]… I also have a great thought for all the patients I’ve met in the corridors or in the rooms, during these 42 days of hospitalization, in particular: Sandra, Manuel, Willy, Johan, Domingo … and all the people with whom I exchanged, even quickly, a look, a gesture, a word. I wish you, as well as your families, a lot of courage: keep the strength in you to fight! You are all wonderful and your faces, your gestures of attention, your words will stay engraved in me forever.

A big thank you to FC Barcelona: President, officers, administrative staff, technical staffs, all the players, and finally the medical staff who helped me a lot, in particular Daniel Medina. I also want to thank the media for your understanding: I know you have respected my demand and for my family, it was very important… so a big thank you! Finally, and in public, I want to thank my wife who stayed with me every day and every hour, and a big thank you to my family and my in-laws!

Now, I’m going to rest to regain strength. I will write [to] you regularly to exchange with you and to give you news. See you soon! ERIC

Please don't retire Abidal. You are too awesome for that.

eric-abidal-hero-o.gif

Edit: I am totally getting Abi on the new france away kit. The only way to make that kit look classier.

--

In the oddest barca news of the week, Paul Greengrass has announced that he will direct a documentary about Guardiolas Barca. I for one can't wait.

Pep Guardiola has left cules with many unforgettable memories that they’d cherish for years to come and appeased many football fans with an attacking style . One of them happens to be British director Paul Greengrass, the man behind The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, who will be directing Barca, a documentary on the club’s four trophy-laden and fantastic years under the outgoing coach Guardiola. During the period, the most successful in club history, FC Barcelona won 13 titles, with one left to play – Copa del Rey on May 25. “I’m excited to tell the extraordinary story of Barca and their magnificent achievements under Pep Guardiola on film,” said Greengrass, a Crystal Palace fan. ”They have given the world a rare glimpse of sporting perfection, and memories that will last for as long as the game is played.”

The movie will look at the finest moments in the four action-packed years which include such fine matches as Barca’s win over arch rivals Real Madrid – 2-6 victory at Bernabeu and 5-0 at Camp Nou. Chris King, the editor of Asif Kapadia’s fabulous documentary Senna, on the life of Formula 1 champion Ayrton Senna, will join Greengrass in the editing room. FilmNation Entertainment will handle international sales, while Richard Brown of Anonymous Content, which is also financing the project and handling US sales, will serve as producer and sport and political writer John Carlin will be the executive producer.

Said Brown, “Barca and Paul Greengrass is a mouthwatering combination, and presents an opportunity to make an exhilarating film that will appeal to audiences worldwide.” FilmNation’s Glen Basner highlighted that football is “the most popular and fan-driven sport around the world.” He added: “With Paul’s tremendous talent, this is sure to become the singular film on [soccer].”

dc89

This is the problem with damn kit sizes!! People have different interpretations. And it doesn't help when Kitbag say one thing and the damn website you're buying from says another.

I'm just a normal build really. Damn this!!!

choodi

Banned
"16 Fulham 418 130 121 167 480 552 -72 511
17 Sunderland 418 112 104 202 422 606 -184 440"

So in the same amount of games, Fulham have picked up 71 more points. Those two seasons... don't think I'll ever forget them.

One was 19 points right?

Edit: Holy shit just checked and the other was 15!

Messi

This is the problem with damn kit sizes!! People have different interpretations. And it doesn't help when Kitbag say one thing and the damn website you're buying from says another.

I'm just a normal build really. Damn this!!!

The reason triads is a different size is because they are not made by nike. I would imagine what they write is the truth about their product. But id still go with large to be sure.

Messi, bring your old avatar back please :(

I am sick of the same 4 olivia ones, and I don't know how to make more :(

Guys, is Deadwood on Blu worth $74

dc89

Kitbag and JJB are saying a 38/40" which is what I am is a M in Nike replica shirts.

I guess that would be the safest option to get then. Cause small is like 36/38 which could be a tad tight

Edit: damn. Just read what Messi posted. :(
So are Triads very good knock off shirts then haha.

Messi

Kitbag and JJB are saying a 38/40" which is what I am is a M in Nike replica shirts.

I guess that would be the safest option to get then. Cause small is like 36/38 which could be a tad tight

Edit: damn. Just read what Messi posted. :(
So are Triads very good knock off shirts then haha.

Oh yeah at those prices they are knock offs. But according to the guys here they are pretty impressive fakes. Pics ive seen of Awesome's german kit look great.

dc89

It would bother me knowing its fake even if no one else did. But as we all know I am a crazy collector. lol.

Haha! I know how you feel. The City tops I have are all genuine. But I'm not shelling out like £60 for a shirt thats not even for my team for the sake of starting a select collection.

Where do you buy them from Mr Messi?

Messi

Haha! I know how you feel. The City tops I have are all genuine. But I'm not shelling out like £60 for a shirt thats not even for my team for the sake of starting a select collection.

Where do you buy them from Mr Messi?

Kitbag, WorldSoccerShop, JD sports, Some local places.

Sappy113

£20M is a fair price. It would be so stupid for United to miss out for the sake of like £4M. That's like, half of what United paid for Bebe!

No doubt. It's unlikely those few million pounds will do much good elsewhere, anyway, so time to cough it up and get the player SAF wants. Unless United are waiting for the Hazard saga to play out, then up their bid if they don't land him. But that carries with it the risk of other teams swooping in for Kagawa as well.

Moobabe

:lol Are Chelsea serious? Hell, if they want to keep Essien then that might be good for Newcastle as it will mean they may not want Tiote after all. :p

We must be serious... MALOUDA!? We need to cut the wage bill and get rid of these fringe players and invest in our own, extremely talented, youth squad.

Kicker:
Swansea close to make Sigurdsson move permanent on a €9m deal.

Great deal for Swansea, they'll sell him for a lot more in a few years.

sohois

I'd refuse to go if they end up calling him up because Johnson is injured. Someone thinking Glen Johnson is better than you is the worst insult I can think of for a footballer.

but Johnson is better than Richards.

choc said:
uh

Shouldn't chelsea have a manager making these decisions?

They have a DoF or some similarly named position, Michael Emenalo who seems to arrange transfers

dc89

Forfeits at The Etihad for the GK's

AtppylPCQAANqHY.jpg

Hodgson taking a more direct approach to training than Capello, who left it to the coaches.

AtpxCzJCEAAaOnt.jpg:large

Oxcart goes out to train!

Atps-xhCEAANm4X.jpg:large

uh

Shouldn't chelsea have a manager making these decisions?

Theoretically yes. But the club want a significantly different squad next season to compete better and feel they can buy better players.

For what its worth, not disappointed about Bosingwa, he stepped up when he needed to and proved himself against Barce (second leg) and Bayern and deserves to find a decent club but he has been a liability for most of the season. Im excited to see who we buy to replace him.

Kalou rejected a contracted around November (same time as Drogba did to my knowledge) and he doesn't want to sit on the bench like he did before and be a decent sub.

Malouda/Essien/Ferreiras contracts are up next season think we should ship them all out now to be honest.

Also, worth considering that RDM might have had been quizzed on thoughts over some of the players whose contracts are up, he was involved in some capacity in the Marin deal (Marin said he had spoken to RDM). Papers today are saying RDM will rejected a 1 year if offered he wants a long-term one...

Salvadora

I thought Bosingwa did well considering what he was like before. RDM should accept a 1 year contract, Its not like it matters at Chelsea.

sohois

Attacking, yes. But your first job as a defender is to defend and Richards is much stronger in that regard.

Looks like Johnson went off with an infected toe... bit of an odd injury, surely they'd know it was infected before training.

You can watch the training session live on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XDXvZMKg0Ys

Have people that say this actually seen Johnson play within the last year-and-a-half? Seems like everyone just have one default mode when it comes to Johnson - good attacker but can't defend, damn whatever evidence might contradict that. I'm not saying he is better than Richards at defending but he is in the end a superior right-back.

GorillaJu

Have people that say this actually seen Johnson play within the last year-and-a-half? Seems like everyone just have one default mode when it comes to Johnson - good attacker but can't defend, damn whatever evidence might contradict that. I'm not saying he is better than Richards at defending but he is in the end a superior right-back.

He gets caught off guard sometimes but not nearly as much as Richards. Richards has way too many brain farts to be an England right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom