• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

But his football is uglier than Rodgers at least. Sorry man. We are going to win nowt for awhile. I may as well watch something good.

There is also the dour scotsman factor. I cant handle two in a row.

I loved watching Norwich this year. Comparatively, Swansea was rather boring, completing 500 passes doesn't mean you are playing good football.

Wes

venison crêpe
So VillaGaf.

Who do you want as the Villa manager? Now OGS has stomped on our dreams?

Rodgers & AVB for me. Then its a long long way down to Poyet (issues) and maybe Martinez.

No Lambert thanks.

Would probably have to go back to Ranieri. Bielsa would be a great signing if possible but does he speak English and would he even come?

rodvik

I loved watching Norwich this year. Comparatively, Swansea was rather boring, completing 500 passes doesn't mean you are playing good football.

Personal tastes I guess. I really really enjoy watching Swansea play. They certainly miss that final cut at the end but i think thats down to their players more than anything.

rodvik

Would probably have to go back to Ranieri. Bielsa would be a great signing if possible but does he speak English and would he even come?

Both would be nice. Although doesnt Ranieri have a bit of a rep as a defensive guy? Not that thats the end of the world but just curious.

Wes

venison crêpe
To me at least, Ranieri seems to have an air of stability around him - something we sorely need. I don't know how his time back in Italy went but to be hoenst I wouldn't really care. I remember feeling he was treated pretty badly by Chelsea in the end.

Both would be nice. Although doesnt Ranieri have a bit of a rep as a defensive guy? Not that thats the end of the world but just curious.

Well, he is Italian. I'd be alright with a defensive mind if it was an effective defensive mind. I want winning football. Defense can be just as fun to watch as attacking football. Especially with a deadly counter.

Guys I don't know if you know this. But... Max Payne 3 is the SHIT.

I'll pick it up in a few weeks when I have time to play it.

GorillaJu

They play 500 passes a game because they're being pragmatic, keeping possession as a defensive measure. It's worked out for them.

Anyway, it's not the high possession stats that are the most impressive part, it's how his players play. He's got 21 and 22 year olds looking composed in and around the box. His midfielders time their runs perfectly so as not to open themselves up after an attack, and they don't waste shots and opportunities, prefering to pass it into the goal. They play with aggression and pressure off the ball, and had one of the highest pass completion %s in the league, higher than Man Utd.

And this is with a 5'5" Leon Britton and 5'6" Joe Allen pulling the strings.

They got great results without ever surrendering their philosophy. Norwich was exciting to watch and I think Paul Lambert is the type of manager to always do well with what he's got. But if I were to look to someone to put together a team, get them working as one, and play good looking football, Rodgers would be first choice for me.

elsk

Banned
They play 500 passes a game because they're being pragmatic, keeping possession as a defensive measure. It's worked out for them.

Anyway, it's not the high possession stats that are the most impressive part, it's how his players play. He's got 21 and 22 year olds looking composed in and around the box. His midfielders time their runs perfectly so as not to open themselves up after an attack, and they don't waste shots and opportunities, prefering to pass it into the goal. They play with aggression and pressure off the ball, and had one of the highest pass completion %s in the league, higher than Man Utd.

And this is with a 5'5" Leon Britton and 5'6" Joe Allen pulling the strings.

They got great results without ever surrendering their philosophy. Norwich was exciting to watch and I think Paul Lambert is the type of manager to always do well with what he's got. But if I were to look to someone to put together a team, get them working as one, and play good looking football, Rodgers would be first choice for me.

If you get LvG as sporting director... maybe he'll hire Jonker as coach.

Messi

Wow, look at the view the spanish team had for training today.

7XS1t.jpg

How amazing.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Red Bulls' winning streak ends at 5, but are unbeaten in 6 and undefeated at home for the season!

If only Backe used some subs.

We're also tied for first in the league!

Messi

Sometimes I get the impression that you follow the Spain team more closely than the Ireland one.

That is because I do. I don't follow the irish team news ect at all.

I appreciate the style of football that Spain plays. I also love LaLiga more than any other league. I will watch Ireland and cheer them on. To be fair I will even cheer for Ireland against Spain (while we lose :p ). But I want Spain to go all the way. Ireland plays some awful looking football. Its hard to watch at times. Spain on the other hand is something from another planet.

Truth be told I just enjoy watching international football. I don't really have any vested interest in any team. If spain go out I wont be hurt, same with ireland. I love seeing the spanish style of play win vs other teams.

What gave you the impression he follows the Ireland squad?

tumblr_m1ipf9Uh9b1qgb6fmo1_500.gif

I thought Messi was Irish!

I am.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He is!
I'm already getting excited about the CONCACAF Qualifiers btw!!!!
I am too! I shouldn't be worried but going to San Salvador is always a bitch.
That is because I do. I don't follow the irish team news ect at all.

I appreciate the style of football that Spain plays. I also love LaLiga more than any other league. I will watch Ireland and cheer them on. To be fair I will even cheer for Ireland against Spain (while we lose :p ). But I want Spain to go all the way. Ireland plays some awful looking football. Its hard to watch at times. Spain on the other hand is something from another planet.

Truth be told I just enjoy watching international football. I don't really have any vested interest in any team. If spain go out I wont be hurt, same with ireland. I love seeing the spanish style of play win vs other teams.
Messi is a football lover. I don't agree with your point of view though.

Messi

Messi is a football lover. I don't agree with your point of view though.

I will fight people to the death over Barcelona but when it comes to Internationals. I just watch and enjoy the spectacle of it all. Seeing as Spain plays somewhat like Barca (having most of the players helps) I find them most fun to watch. But I could not say I am a spain supporter.

I have never had a connection to irish football. Growing up in my home football was not a big thing (golf was) so I never developed that love of irish football. I know that sounds odd.

I enjoy watching good football (Spain, Germany, Holland being the nicest to watch)

I feel like I am making no sense. :(

elsk

Banned

Haha, we have it easy: Panamá, Canadá and Cuba :D
Panamá should be a bit tricky, tho.

Haha, I'm not a fan of nationalism, but when it comes to international football it would be kind of pointless to me to support a team other than my home-country NT. Maybe if I start living in X-country I would support that NT, but other than that I would fin it very hard to support any other National Team.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I will fight people to the death over Barcelona but when it comes to Internationals. I just watch and enjoy the spectacle of it all. Seeing as Spain plays somewhat like Barca (having most of the players helps) I find them most fun to watch. But I could not say I am a spain supporter.

I have never had a connection to irish football. Growing up in my home football was not a big thing (golf was) so I never developed that love of irish football. I know that sounds odd.

I enjoy watching good football (Spain, Germany, Holland being the nicest to watch)

I can sympathise with a different national team from my own because of their play style or history, but actually being more in touch with them instead of the one of my country is a foreign concept to me.

It must be nice to be able to watch international football without any flags around though. You are a true football lover.
Haha, we have it easy: Panamá, Canadá and Cuba :D
Panamá should be a bit tricky, tho.
Panama is going to give you guys a surprise. Hopefully both teams can go through.
Haha, I'm not a fan of nationalism, but when it comes to international football it would be kind of pointless to me to support a team other than my home-country NT. Maybe if I start living in X-country I would support that NT, but other than that I would fin it very hard to support any other National Team.
You will never see me cheering for USA. Never.

Messi

I can sympathise with a different national team from my own because of their play style or history, but actually being more in touch with them instead of the one of my country is a foreign concept to me.

It must be nice to be able to watch international football without any flags around though. You are a true football lover.

You see I dont support either, I watch both.

In Ireland, nationalisim is high. People want to get behind the team. They wave flags, fill the pubs when games are on. I just feel nothing for the team. I wish I did but I don't.

The same happens with Spain games, I watch them. I enjoy them. I was happy for them winning The Euros/World Cup. But if they had lost it it would not have hurt me all that much.

On the other hand, when Barcelona lose I feel genuniely hurt. That week where we lost to chelsea at Stamford Bridge and then losing the Clasico in the Nou Camp and then to get knocked out of the Champions league. When the game ended my head was in my hands, I was so close to tears. I was upset all week, everytime I seen a paper or a news report it was like a dagger in my heart. I have never felt anything like that for any national team.

This killed me:

2ecdc381ba91f66d23965e69b1d0363420120425.jpg

Fëanor

Panama is going to give you guys a surprise. Hopefully both teams can go through.

You will never see me cheering for USA. Never.

Same here, as much as I hate the Mexican league I will always support my national team. Of the few instances where nationalism takes over my way of thinking.

Vamos Mexico!

Messi

This is probably a bad time to mention I was laughing all throughout that match. :I

I feel your pain bro.

I didn't enjoy that game one bit. I understand why neutrals enjoyed it but it was one of the more painful moments for me as a barcelona fan.

Anyone remember I was looking for that picture of Xavi in Four Four Two. I found a crappy picture of it. Such an awesome image

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Poor flag, getting dragged down the floor. :I
Fëanor;38147124 said:
Same here, as much as I hate the Mexican league I will always support my national team. Of the few instances where nationalism takes over my way of thinking.

Vamos Mexico!
Güey se nos cayó Oribe Peralta. Guyana nos va a dar una bailajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja no puedo terminar esa oración.

Do we have a belgian/anderlecht fan in footy-gaf?
I want to know their opinions on Matías Suárez.

Not an Anderlecht fan by any stretch but I follow the Belgian league every week. Suarez is pretty much a scam at the price Anderlecht ask for him : he's been terrible for 3 years and just had half a great season which earned him the golden boot. Won the award by default you could say since the competition was pretty poor this year.

He's dodgy mentally (big confidence issues, streaky player), he's scored some wondergoals and he's good enough technically to skin most Belgian defenders (Van Buyten looks like a world beater in comparison with those guys). He plays best as a support striker/winger, likes to cut inside from the wing.

You might know of Perisic who's warming the bench for Dortmund? He was thrice the player Suarez is. Was hilarious to see Arsenal linked with him during last winter mercato for €15-20M. Would probably be worth the gamble at €5-7M.

elsk

Banned
Not an Anderlecht fan by any stretch but I follow the Belgian league every week. Suarez is pretty much a scam at the price Anderlecht ask for him : he's been terrible for 3 years and just had half a great season which earned him the golden boot. Won the award by default you could say since the competition was pretty poor this year.

He's dodgy mentally (big confidence issues, streaky player), he's scored some wondergoals and he's good enough technically to skin most Belgian defenders (Van Buyten looks like a world beater in comparison with those guys). He plays best as a support striker/winger, likes to cut inside from the wing.

You might know of Perisic who's warming the bench for Dortmund? He was thrice the player Suarez is. Was hilarious to see Arsenal linked with him during last winter mercato for €15-20M. Would probably be worth the gamble at €5-7M.

Thanks man! yeah he sounds like a big scam, doing good in a smaller league. I hope the rumors aren't true.

Fry

Dayum, MGS 3 looks amazing in the HD collection, you could tell it's a game from this generation. It really is one of the best games ever made.

Is anyone going to buy a Team GB football shirt? I know they don't look great, but it's not like there will be many other chances to get one.

W55808-Front-300x300.jpg

edit: There's an away shirt as well

12486.jpg

the fuck is a FIFA interactive world cup

A bullshit, PS3 only event that means shit.

Oh and I tried playing as Barcelona B today. It was fun, here was my first game:

The kid had his Vpro in the squad, and wanted a rematch. Here was the final result of that:

He wasn't very good. But my pass accuracy should have been higher. Stupid joe hart saved EVERYTHING as well. It was silly.

Messi

A bullshit, PS3 only event that means shit.

Oh and I tried playing as Barcelona B today.

Got you beat awesome.

ATR2el.jpg

STATS: (Most notably, both teams shots)

zN6x9l.jpg

Man of the match, made me LOL (Notice the incredibly shitty ratings for everyone else)

OKL5Ql.jpg

Edit: <3 Rodri , Cuenca & Tello in Barca B before the update promoted them to the first team.

FootballFan

the fuck is a FIFA interactive world cup

Fifa tournament on ps3, Semis usually consist of Real Madrid vs Real Madrid and Real Madrid vs Real Madrid. Most countries have a tournament. And the winner from each country gets to go to Dubai and they all play each other there. Winner of that gets 20 grand and gets to go to the Balon d'Or ceremony + meet players. It's alright. (not 100% on the details but I think that is how it goes)

edit
Aww why don't any of you play fifa on ps3 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom