• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

So Martinez is definitely talking to Liverpool today, he's gone to Miami.

I know they've become a bit of an average team as of late but a club like Liverpool should certainly be thinking bigger than Martinez.

He was linked with Gladbach and Neverkusen, and in the Neverkusen a transfers fee was published and everything. Sounds to me like he's staying at Dortmund. You think he would get minutes since you guys will be playing CL?

Totally depends on whether Hummels and Subotic stay injury-free or not. Santana played 10 full matches in the first half of the season but just 2 in the second half. But only because Subotic was seriously injured. I'd love to give him more play time but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to change a good CB pairing every few matches. Klopp doesn't think so and as it showed it's definately not wrong.

Santana wants to jump on the Brazil 2014 train, which I totally understand. It will be almost impossible with the playtime he gets at Dortmund but if the only option is Wolfsburg, well I doubt his chances are much better.

Edit: And that said, I totally don't understand why Gladbach doesn't want him. They need a CB, there's a good and damn cheap CB waiting for you to call and you don't want him? What's wrong with them?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Also don't see how Chelsea can offer Hazard more certain playing time when they don't even have a full time manager right now. Unless Roman tells the manager who to play, too?

Of course he does. Shevchenko and Torres were crowbarred into the team upon their arrival, thanks to him.

LegoArmo

O'Neill's win percentage as a manager is pretty impressive. 52.83%. Wenger's is 53.48% as a comparison. Ferguson is a bit higher 57.92%.

Of course he does. Shevchenko and Torres were crowbarred into the team upon their arrival, thanks to him.

I was going to mention Shevchenko, might even be what cost them Mourinho.

Not sure if this was mention but I'm assuming the ban was based for the elbow and not the altercation beforehand? I think the 12 game ban is harsh in itself.

Yen

Hahahaha. Ok, pet. I suggest you go put a bit of research into it before making yourself look a fool.

I'm sorry I touched a nerve. "Since its formation in 1879, the club has won six First Division titles—in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and 1936—and the FA Cup twice, in 1937 and 1973." Sunderland were massive in the 1800s, like rickets were.

GQman2121

Banned
He could coach the youth section of Manchester United. He should step aside already, Manchester United needs new ideas and start the process of change with a new coach.

Anyone who thinks that United will go on with business as usual once SAF steps aside is crazy. The day the he goes is the day the club get knocked back a peg. It's going to be a huge blow that will take a few seasons for the new regime to get under control.

You can't do things a certain way for over 25 years - winning everything under the sun in the process - and then expect someone new to just keep it going. That very rarely happens in any sport, let alone, football at the highest level.

It actually reminds me of the line in the first Godfather.....

Tom Hagan said:
If we lose the old man, we lose our political contacts and half our strength......

I think that statement applies to SAF. Few people in charge are as big as the club they represent. And no one person should ever be bigger. However, if there's one exception to that rule, he is certainly it.

Christ that is depressing.

The truth often is. My mum (teacher of 32 years and Core Department head for 20 of those) is retiring this year. I've been ordering her to keep active and wind herself down off the job these past 9 months. She 'works' 15-16 hours a day, gets paid for 6 of those. Most don't realise how much work teachers do at home. They only see the long holidays and scoff at them being 'lazy'. Many teachers go in during those holidays to teach extra classes for no extra pay for example, but no one hears about that.

Being a football manager is a 24 hour job that for those obsessives like Fergie or Mourinho is constantly stressful. If your body adapts to the stress is becomes addicted to the adrenalin it produces to cope with that. When the stress disappears suddenly, the body can go into withdrawal and simply give out, especially in old age.

I may hate Fergie's guts, but I respect him as a manager. I wouldn't wish that on him.

LegoArmo

The truth often is. My mum (teacher of 32 years and Core Department head for 20 of those) is retiring this year. I've been ordering her to keep active and wind herself down off the job these past 9 months. She 'works' 15-16 hours a day, gets paid for 6 of those. Most don't realise how much work teachers do at home. They only see the long holidays and scoff at them being 'lazy'. Many teachers go in during those holidays to teach extra classes for no extra pay for example, but no one hears about that.

Being a football manager is a 24 hour job that for those obsessives like Fergie or Mourinho is constantly stressful. If your body adapts to the stress is becomes addicted to the adrenalin it produces to cope with that. When the stress disappears suddenly, the body can go into withdrawal and simply give out, especially in old age.

I may hate Fergie's guts, but I respect him as a manager. I wouldn't wish that on him.

The good thing is, Fergie agrees with you, he said retirement is for the young. People who'd have something to do.

elsk

Banned
Anyone who thinks that United will go on with business as usual once SAF steps aside is crazy. The day the he goes is the day the club get knocked back a peg. It's going to be a huge blow that will take a few seasons for the new regime to get under control.

You can't do things a certain way for over 25 years - winning everything under the sun in the process - and then expect someone new to just keep it going. That very rarely happens in any sport, let alone, football at the highest level.

It has to happen sooner or later, and it would be better to happen when he's still around to help with advices or something.

Hixx

I'm sorry I touched a nerve. "Since its formation in 1879, the club has won six First Division titles—in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and 1936—and the FA Cup twice, in 1937 and 1973."

Which puts us as the 6th most successful league side in the history of Englush football. More league titles than Chelsea, City, Newcastle, Leeds, Spurs.

We've won nothing for 40 years and still get crowds of 40k and no real sniff of success bar an FA Cup final in 92 - even the Mags have had Champions League football in the last 20 years. What other clubs would get that - very few, you're looking at the likes of Villa & Everton and clubs of that ilk though they've had more success in recent years than us (CL, cup wins). 40 years of relegations and at absolute best mediocrity, yet still get 40k crowds and many consider that disappointing.

But no, we're not a big club and never have been.

You muppet.

bjaelke

Why won't they play on Danish soil? Also, you'll be happy to know I won a game with Brøndby in FIFA last night. Michael Krohn-Dehli scored a beautiful late diving header for the win on a counter-attack. Fuck they're slow in FIFA though!

Oh, and I would have tried a match as København, but they were 3.5-stars and I didn't want to risk the match-making system giving me Napoli or something in Ranked H2H.

I'll never buy a Aston Villa knock-off, but otherwise it's fair game.
Krohn-dehli, or Kong-dehli, is a fantastic player but he'll most likely be leaving this Summer. Brøndby used to be a 3½ star team in the previous FIFA games.
Hawkeye (same as tennis?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18190250

Just collecting data, but glad it's happening

They collected data yesterday in the Danish league. Hopefully they'll reveal the results soon although there were no controversial situations (penalty aside).

Polga has left Sporting.

polga1.jpg

Thank you for the 9 years of service to the club.

In other news, Ola John has signed for Benfica. No idea what was the transfer fee but his release clause was set at 45 million €.

LegoArmo

What do you mean

Traditional winger, use pace to get past your man, whip the ball in to the box. Usuaully for someone to head in to the net. Valencia has a wicked low cross though, which could be of use.

I think United won't be playing 2 up top for a lot of games next season, so it might not be as effective.

Wilbur

Banned
He could coach the youth section of Manchester United. He should step aside already, Manchester United needs new ideas and start the process of change with a new coach.

Then he shouldn't take the youth section if they need new ideas. He should stay on until he's ready to go because there's no one better than him at the moment. Mourinho might be a more talented coach but for United how can anyone be better than SAF?

And saying that:

It actually reminds me of the line in the first Godfather.....

I think that statement applies to SAF. Few people in charge are as big as the club they represent. And no one person should ever be bigger. However, if there's one exception to that rule, he is certainly it.

This. Fully expecting us to be in the mix for top 3/4 because anything less would be disappointing, but when Fergie goes a lot of our power will probably go.

immy

Banned
Big teams= Man U, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Non fans/hardcore football nuts don't give a shit about the others. My Dad and I will watch the big teams on motd, but fuck it if we don't give a shit when sunderland, bolton, wigan turn up.

I don't need titus bramblein my life.

bjaelke

Looks like Dortmund will be joining the Nextgen Series next season:

"The 23rd club to join the NextGen Series has won their national title 8 times...(3 times in the last 10 years)."

Wilbur

Banned

Non fans/hardcore football nuts don't give a shit about the others. My Dad and I will watch the big teams on motd, but fuck it if we don't give a shit when sunderland, bolton, wigan turn up.

I don't understand this, especially from a fan of a lower league team (as of this season). I skip all punditry, but watch every bit of football from MOTD, the Football League show, Revista De La Liga, the German and Italian highlight shows...

For instance you would have missed out on Swansea 4-4 Wolves, or Wigan beasting Newcastle, or a number of good Fulham/Everton performances.

Fergie has said he will step away from any team related issues at the club when he steps down. It might be easier to say than do but I hope it's the case, worst possible thing for a new man will be to have Fergie on the scene.

I assume he will take up a role similar to Sir Bobby's but even that might be too close for the first couple of years.

The shock of Fergie leaving will be so difficult to over come. For United's players and fans we just have complete trust in him, whatever the situation he'll get it right and he's proven that to be the case time and time again.

Sad just thinking about it.

faridmon

So we are catering to the branless chickens who are about following trends and not appreciating what the sport is all about?
Lets see, Justig Beiber is a real artrist as opposed to Röyksopp. Oh, and Deadmou5e (or however shit you spell it) is bigger than LCD sounsystem?

Honestly guys, you guys should listen to Football Ramble, it may toughen you up a bit...

Until a rich Arab man buys Sunderland, of course, then they'll instantly be a big team again.

Ah, that makes sense. Never mind me then!

ATF487

What defines a big club, though? I don't like the trend of thinking that Sky invented football in 1992, but at the same time, Sunderland haven't won a trophy in ages. Is it domestic success? Prestige in Europe? History? Number of fans?

faridmon

What defines a big club, though? I don't like the trend of thinking that Sky invented football in 1992, but at the same time, Sunderland haven't won a trophy in ages. Is it domestic success? Prestige in Europe? History? Number of fans?

Maybe history, the rate they have played memorable games and the amount of players a said club have produced which impacted the game?
For example, I do rate Southhampton as a big club and think Stoke aren't.

Fuck you Kermit

LegoArmo

It should be a combination of all of that, the thing is, before the Premier League, the winners were a lot more varied I think, people say "it goes in cycles" and that "no team will stay at the top forever", but I think the way football is now, these same teams will stay at the top, for a very, very long time, the other teams don't have the money to compete anymore and the gap is bigger than it was 30-40 years ago.

So teams like Everton, Sunderland and Aston Villa, who have quite a few league titles between them might not win one again, unless they get ridiculously rich owners. Which is kind of sad.

elseanio

Maybe history, the rate they have played memorable games and the amount of players a said club have produced which impacted the game?
For example, I do rate Southhampton as a big club and think Stoke aren't.

Fuck you Kermit

Looking forward to them being in the Prem next season

For me every club in the Premier League is a 'big' club. It's the Top tier of English football for gawds sake!

Does that mean every club in the Premier League are relevant(in terms of the top 4), exciting and good to watch? Fuck no.

faridmon

It should be a combination of all of that, the thing is, before the Premier League, the winners were a lot more varied I think, people say "it goes in cycles" and that "no team will stay at the top forever", but I think the way football is now, these same teams will stay at the top, for a very, very long time, the other teams don't have the money to compete anymore and the gap is bigger than it was 30-40 years ago.

So teams Like Everton, Sunderland and Aston Villa, who have quite a few league titles between them might not win one again, unless they get ridiculously rich owners. Which is kind of sad.

It should be noted that, back in the day, homegrown talent was a big importance and the club that nurtured youngsters to represent them in the future would have had at least a mild success. These days, Clubs can buy anyone they want unless there is, as you have said, money issues. Therefore, its a bit more artificial than the old-school days.

Call me old-School, I don't care

Looking forward to them being in the Prem next season

Aye, its gonna be awesome. Loved them back in the days. Also, another talenetd young English manager. England is gonna win the world cup in 20 years or so...

Does that mean every club in the Premier League are relevant(in terms of the top 4), exciting and good to watch? Fuck no.
Wigan was exciting in the last few games. Swansea, Norwisch, Everton
post January
were as exciting as those ''big'' teams. Fuck, Arsenal and Chelsea game was the most boring game ever and the second Manchester Derby sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom