• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

immy

Banned
I don't understand this, especially from a fan of a lower league team (as of this season). I skip all punditry, but watch every bit of football from MOTD, the Football League show, Revista De La Liga, the German and Italian highlight shows...

For instance you would have missed out on Swansea 4-4 Wolves, or Wigan beasting Newcastle, or a number of good Fulham/Everton performances.

Meh, my dream is all the best teams from europe hurry up and make the european league. I want Chelsea, Barca and Milan up against each other week in week out.

Wilbur

Banned
For me every club in the Premier League is a 'big' club. It's the Top tier of English football for gawds sake!

Does that mean every club in the Premier League are relevant(in terms of the top 4), exciting and good to watch? Fuck no.

I like watching all the teams for the most parts. The only ones who really bored me last year consistently were Villa and Wolves.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Congrats then. Looks like you took the 24th and final spot from Copenhagen just like FCN took the title from them yesterday.

There "Juve were chosen for the NextGen having won the Viareggio tournament 6 times in the last 10 seasons"

immy

Banned
So we are catering to the branless chickens who are about following trends and not appreciating what the sport is all about?
Lets see, Justig Beiber is a real artrist as opposed to Röyksopp. Oh, and Deadmou5e (or however shit you spell it) is bigger than LCD sounsystem?

Honestly guys, you guys should listen to Football Ramble, it may toughen you up a bit...

Ah, that makes sense. Never mind me then!

I don't get the beiber point.

Football ramble is good, football weekly better.

LegoArmo

It should be noted that, back in the day, homegrown talent was a big importance and the club that nurtured youngsters to represent them in the future would have had at least a mild success. These days, Clubs can buy anyone they want unless there is, as you have said, money issues. Therefore, its a bit more artificial than the old-school days.

Call me old-School, I don't care

Yeah, it's a new kind of history. Even worse situation in Spain, I think.

There's still hope though, if you look at the German and French leagues.

immy

Banned
So we can see Chelsea defend for their lives in every game. Perfect.

But thats what the worst teams do all the time anyway.

A premier league without the big boys ruining would be much better. If Reading don't get relegated this season they will the next. The english league should be left to fan owned teams and sugar daddy teams can go play in a european league.

Krohn-dehli, or Kong-dehli, is a fantastic player but he'll most likely be leaving this Summer. Brøndby used to be a 3½ star team in the previous FIFA games.

I just wanted to share that with you. I meant to get the goal to post here, but I forgot :/

Also, this current discussion kind of sucks. Especially since it seems that recent success is the only metric to define big club. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

GQman2121

Banned
I don't mind watching the shit sides play (which included us for a large part of last season) because it makes me appreciate the quality sides even more.

Sunderland can be a fun to watch and they have their share of talents on their day.

In other news....

My agency is hiring a new travel agency - Key Travel - to handle our account. They just sent us a box full of PR stuff from hotels, car rental places and airlines. I picked this sweet pen out of the lot.

h8iqMl.jpg

Writes well and has good weight to it. I like it.

faridmon

I don't get the beiber point.

Football ramble is good, football weekly better.

All I am saying that, big does not consistutes popularity and relevance. Beiber may be relevant to the casuals, but is no way more artistic, for the lack of better word, than many other pop outfits.

Football Weekly's humor is way more entertaining, but Fopotball Ramble made me appreciate the good old days. They never mention Everton though :(

Who wants to be the Montpellier of the Premier League? I'd love for something like that to happen.

Step up.
I want to say us, Everton, but that is not going to happen as long as we have Moyes. Unfourtnatly :(

Southampton?

dc89

I don't mind watching the shit sides play (which included us for a large part of last season) because it makes me appreciate the quality sides even more.

Sunderland can be a fun to watch and they have their share of talents on their day.

In other news....

My agency is hiring a new travel agency - Key Travel - to handle our account. They just sent us a box full of PR stuff from hotels, car rental places and airlines. I picked this sweet pen out of the lot.

h8iqMl.jpg

Writes well and has good weight to it. I like it.

PR! PR!!! JOKE POST!! PR!!

immy

Banned
All I am saying that, big does not consistutes popularity and relevance. Beiber may be relevant to the casuals, but is no way more artistic, for the lack of better word, than many other pop outfits.

Football Weekly's humor is way more entertaining, but Fopotball Ramble made me appreciate the good old days. They never mention Everton though :(

I would disagree massively mate, I hate beiber, think he's shit. But I the fact that that I maye like whatever obscure artistic band doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of the pop don't know/care who the fuck they are. Big=Relevant, you can't have an impact unless people notice you.

faridmon

Maybe when Man City and Chelsea stop existing.

Chelsea aren't as big spenders as they used to be, hence why the old boys are running the show. They might Splashy big money ona player or two, but they are no way as the same caliber as Mancity. Heck, I think Spurs may spend more money than Chelsea.

immy

Banned
Chelsea aren't as big spenders as they used to be, hence why the old boys are running the show. They might Splashy big money ona player or two, but they are no way as the same caliber as Mancity. Heck, I think Spurs may spend more money than Chelsea.

There wages are massive.

Meier

What do you mean

So why wasn't Tevez given a ban either? I thought he kicked out at Barton

Tevez didn't kick him, did he? As I recall, he kinda gave him a bit of a forearm shiver... not a clean move by any means, but not something you'd get banned over. Some of those 12 games are just a result of receiving a red card in general I assume.

Korez

7a429ed6-765d-4c1d-bf81-26f69c3f044f.jpg
6a2ad933-7667-4ff8-8a65-3d45540d3bb7.jpg

Conte extends contract until 2015

Antonio Conte has today put pen to paper on a contract which ties his future to Juventus until 30 June 2015.

The 42-year-old, who returned to Turin after successfully steering Siena to promotion last season, led the Bianconeri to the Scudetto in his first campaign at the helm, winning plenty of admirers along the way for his attractive brand of football.

JLijS.gif

faridmon

I would disagree massively mate, I hate beiber, think he's shit. But I the fact that that I maye like whatever obscure artistic band doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of the pop don't know/care who the fuck they are. Big=Relevant, you can't have an impact unless people notice you.

That is why Sky exist. That doesn't mean that other clubs that are not shon on ''Super Sunday'' is not relevant to the title chase. I mean, because of Wigan and Everton, Man United lost that title.
I also disagree on the obscure shit being not relevant. Talking Heads and Gangs of Four brought so much to the music table that the populer shit artists is gaining fame for.

There wages are massive.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that.

faridmon

Also, I only have 31 posts in this thread. Awesome Animals is already past 100. I am conflicetd on how I should handle this information.

I suck

Wilbur

Banned
That is why Sky exist. That doesn't mean that other clubs that are not shon on ''Super Sunday'' is not relevant to the title chase. I mean, because of Wigan and Everton, Man United lost that title.
I also disagree on the obscure shit being not relevant. Talking Heads and Gangs of Four brought so much to the music table that the populer shit artists is gaining fame for.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that.

Talking Heads are obscure? :S

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also, I only have 31 posts in this thread. Awesome Animals is already past 100. I am conflicetd on how I should handle this information.

I suck
We are gonna have to sell you to another community if you don't step up boy!

It's okay cause you always score when you come in. :)

Oxx

Today I saw the Olympic Torch for about a second, through a throng of people.

At least I was only waiting around for 15 minutes. The people who had been staking out their spot for three hours are insane.

Nope. Roman will point and laugh at this post.

Bumhead

Banned
Big teams= Man U, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Non fans/hardcore football nuts don't give a shit about the others. My Dad and I will watch the big teams on motd, but fuck it if we don't give a shit when sunderland, bolton, wigan turn up.

I don't need titus bramblein my life.

There is a flip side to this, and that's that people who do actually support clubs other than the ones you list don't give two fucks about those six clubs either. The post-1992 idea that only 20 clubs exist in England and only 5 or 6 of those 20 really matter makes me wretch.

Being a Premiership club does not automatically make a team a big club. It makes the big club discussion largely irrelevant, but it still don't discount the discussion. There are numerous clubs playing in The Championship and even one or two beyond who are "bigger" than Wigan and Fulham.

Wilbur

Banned
There is a flip side to this, and that's that people who do actually support clubs other than the ones you list don't give two fucks about those six clubs either. The post-1992 idea that only 20 clubs exist in England and only 5 or 6 of those 20 really matter makes me wretch.

Being a Premiership club does not automatically make a team a big club. It makes the big club discussion largely irrelevant, but it still don't discount the discussion. There are numerous clubs playing in The Championship and even one or two beyond who are "bigger" than Wigan and Fulham.

yepyepyepyepyepyepyepyepyepyepyep

immy

Banned

Yeah, so kick those 6 out into a european league

Yeah you've said this a number of times, but you've never explained why he bothered talking us up if he wasn't interested at some point. You don't use a team with a wage limit of £75K as leverage.

I think at the time he mentionned Spurs, they were "title contenders" and they showed interest in him. Last summer he was linked to Arsenal and Liverpool after all so Spurs was a possibility. Of course everything changed once City and co showed up.

Considering Hazard's character, there's a good chance he'll end up at United imo. Wages won't be his main motive, City, Chelsea and United will all offer him good enough wages. He's after titles glory and of course he wants to be a 100% starter, he wouldn't tolerate being benched. He'll probably find it much easier to break into United or Chelsea squad but the fact Chelsea are manager-less could be a big factor. He's the kind of guy who would rather play for Fergie it seems.

Of course, he might just be after money and join City. :p

I suck

And I don't have the benefit of living in the same time zone as everyone!

Although, mostly I post needless updates to my FIFA 12 career as I play with Molde and Barcelona B against Barcelona and Manchester City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom