• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

rififi

Some reports from Madrid:

Good news - Higuain is staying!

Bad news - Kaka looks like he might be staying (because no one else wants him).

Altintop will probably go to Galatasaray. Carvalho also has a few offers from Germany, Portugal, and England.

elseanio

Jen Chang and Billy Hogan confirmed for Liverpool.

Some reports from Madrid:

Good news - Higuain is staying!

Bad news - Kaka looks like he might be staying (because no one else wants him).

Altintop will probably go to Galatasaray. Carvalho also has a few offers from Germany, Portugal, and England.

What do you think will happen with Sahin and Granero?

I'm starting believe this could happen for United. Someone bring me down.

Slight edge to Chelsea, I think. They're probably offering Hazard sillier wages than City and more certain playing time than United.

I think we'll sign Kagawa regardless. With Berbatov, Owen and (likely) Park on the way out, there's definitely room for both. Imagine that, though: Rooney up front, with Hazard, Kagawa and Nani interchanging behind him. Seems too good to be true.

dschalter

No one should believe any Hazard transfer stories.

it wasn't too long ago that his flavor of the month was spurs, ffs, and there was never a chance he'd go there.

Wilbur

Banned
Slight edge to Hazard going to London, I think. Chelsea probably offering sillier wages than City and more certain playing time than United.

I think we'll sign Kagawa regardless. With Berbatov, Owen and (likely) Park on the way out, there's definitely room for both. Imagine that, though: Rooney up front, with Hazard, Kagawa and Nani interchanging behind him. Seems too good to be true.

but valencia :(

LegoArmo

Also don't see how Chelsea can offer Hazard more certain playing time when they don't even have a full time manager right now. Unless Roman tells the manager who to play, too?

Kicker:
Matias Suarez says he has a Bayern offer.
Breno to Lazio or to jail
HSV is an option for Kuijt but has also other offers
Bruma to stay for another year (poor HSV lol)
Only Wolfsburg interested in Felipe Santana, might stay at Dortmund (Don't do anything stupid, Felipe, you really don't want to play for Wolfsburg)

No one should believe any Hazard transfer stories.

it wasn't too long ago that his flavor of the month was spurs, ffs, and there was never a chance he'd go there.

Yeah you've said this a number of times, but you've never explained why he bothered talking us up if he wasn't interested at some point. You don't use a team with a wage limit of £75K as leverage.

Wilbur

Banned
Kicker:
Only Wolfsburg interested in Felipe Santana, might stay at Dortmund (Don't do anything stupid, Felipe, you really don't want to play for Wolfsburg)

This made me laugh.

Santana's very solid from what I've seen, he should be first choice somewhere

You can have Hulk!

Or Falcao

NO! This strengthens Chelsea just as much!
They can have Downing

rififi

What do you think will happen with Sahin and Granero?

Sahin has a lot of offers, especially to return to Germany, but he is probably not going to leave Madrid. Even going out on loan seems less and less likely as he stated he wants to play for Madrid next season.
Last season was complicated because he got injured early and couldn't get his form back. I'm confident he'll do better this upcoming season (as long as he stays injury-free, especially during preseason).

For Granero, I don't know. There aren't many reports or rumours about his future. This past season was even worse for him than the previous as he had much less playing time since Mou put Coentrao in central midfielder over him on several occasions. I can't see him liking his situation especially since one of his former Castilla teammates - Javi Garcia - is getting much more attention with a starting position playing for Benfica.

LegoArmo

Chelsea's squad was far too good to finish 6th, I don't know how that happened, and if they sign a couple of good players (mainly a striker, and a winger/attacking midfielder) they should be up there challenging again.

Their defence is fine, but I'd use Terry as back up and maybe buy a right back.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

ForzaItalia owned that thread
y2Pm1.gif
y2Pm1.gif
y2Pm1.gif

It's a shame he never posted here with one of his alts.

Slizz

Chelsea's squad was far too good to finish 6th, I don't know how that happened, and if they sign a couple of good players (mainly a striker, and a winger/attacking midfielder) they should be up there challenging again.

Their defence is fine, but I'd use Terry as back up and maybe buy a right back.

I know what happened, absent mid-field who could barely string together 2 passes some games.

elseanio

Sahin has a lot of offers, especially to return to Germany, but he is probably not going to leave Madrid. Even going out on loan seems less and less likely as he stated he wants to play for Madrid next season.
Last season was complicated because he got injured early and couldn't get his form back. I'm confident he'll do better this upcoming season (as long as he stays injury-free, especially during preseason).

For Granero, I don't know. There aren't many reports or rumours about his future. This past season was even worse for him than the previous as he had much less playing time since Mou put Coentrao in central midfielder over him on several occasions. I can't see him liking his situation especially since one of his former Castilla teammates - Javi Garcia - is getting much more attention with a starting position playing for Benfica.

Thanks for the run down. Always thought it was weird Coentrao was getting the nod over him (Granero). I know Liverpool were linked to him last Jan, but we're gonna struggle attracting him away from Madrid. Can't see him playing much next season agsint the likes of Lass, Khedira, Alonso and Sahin

LegoArmo

I know what happened, absent mid-field who could barely string together 2 passes some games.

But in terms of personnel, they're not that weak there... I hope Essien can find his best form again (but that United still win the title, despite him doing so).

Thanks for the run down. Always thought it was weird Coentrao was getting the nod over him (Granero). I know Liverpool were linked to him last Jan, but we're gonna struggle attracting him away from Madrid. Can't see him playing much next season agsint the likes of Lass, Khedira, Alonso and Sahin

I wonder if we could persuade them to loan us Kaka and pay 75% of his wages like we did with Joe Cole?

Anyone want Joe Cole? Seriously? Please? Someone take Joe Cole!

elsk

Banned
Kicker:

He was linked with Gladbach and Neverkusen, and in the Neverkusen a transfers fee was published and everything. Sounds to me like he's staying at Dortmund. You think he would get minutes since you guys will be playing CL?

PaulLFC

Oh look, it's not just us Whelan's blabbing about:

Sir Alex Ferguson will step down as Manchester United manager at the end of the 2012-13 season, according to Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan.

Ferguson, 70, has been at the United helm since 1986, leading the club to incredible success during his tenure which has included 12 Premier League titles.

The Scot has toyed with the idea of calling time on his coaching days, announcing plans to do so at the end of the 2001-02 campaign, but then decided to stay on as Red Devils manager. Although in December 2011 he did set a timeframe when he expressed his hope that he will be in charge at Old Trafford for three more years.

Whelan, however, believes his close friend will step down at the conclusion of the 2012-13 season, telling ESPN: "After next season, Sir Alex will call it a day. The pressure is telling, especially when you are at the top for so long.

"The older you get the harder it is to cope with all that pressure, and eventually it will affect you. Sir Alex is resilient and I know he will want to carry on until he drops, and I respect what he has achieved as everyone does.

"In fact, I would say he is the best manager that there has ever been, and if and when he does pack it in, he will be an enormous loss to the game, that's for sure.

"The way he has had such unparalleled success, the way he knows how to choose the right players and then get even more out of them, that makes him the best manager ever, the best we have ever seen.

"I am sure his intention was to carry on for two or three, maybe even more years, but he has had a little scare in the last week or so and that tells me he will think very hard, and realise there is no point trying to carry on for another five years and take the risk."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1077987/wigan%27s-dave-whelan:-one-more-year-for-united%27s-sir-alex-ferguson?cc=5739

They'll carry Ferguson out of United in a damn box. He won't make the same mistake Shankly did and retire. What else would he do with his life?

Even if he retired he'd be dead within' the year because he'd have nothing left to do. His body would give out from the massively reduced stress levels and lack of adrenalin. It happens to teachers quite often after they retire from work. Many die within 4-5 years for these reasons.

Messi

They'll carry Ferguson out of United in a damn box. He won't make the same mistake Shankly did and retire. What else would he do with his life?

Even if he retired he'd be dead within' the year because he'd have nothing left to do. His body would give out from the massively reduced stress levels and lack of adrenalin. It happens to teachers quite often after they retire from work. Many die within 4-5 years for these reasons.

Christ that is depressing.

elsk

Banned
He could coach the youth section of Manchester United. He should step aside already, Manchester United needs new ideas and start the process of change with a new coach.

The Fergie Time rule would dictate an extra 4 years at least on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom