• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Transfer window gif for you, Kyoufu.

ZERJF.gif

TrueBlue

My point is more so that most of the JT hatred comes from off the field scandal, which personally, as a football fan I don't concern myself with. Whether it's in regard to players I like or dislike.

Using Rooney as an example (who I don't particularly dislike). When I heard about him banging old prostitutes, I really couldn't care less. When you then get a bunch of football fans going on about it, it really stinks of a bunch of women gossiping over their latest issue of Heat magazine.

Of course many players do terrible things off the pitch, but I'm not going to pretend like it concerns me or makes me think any less of that person as an athlete. The athlete aspect being the part of their character which does concern me.

I support JT as a footballer in the team I support. I'm not trying to be his mate. So why people get upset about the things he does, or any player does (unless it's on the pitch), really goes over my head.

As a bonus gripe. It also seems that people who are publicly disliked seem to get more shit attached to them than even they deserve. For example, I remember somebody asked why JT was so disliked. Bungie come on with a big post listing all JT's transgressions (seemed slightly obsessive since as a Chelsea fan, I had even forgot about some of them). Anyway, one of the things he listed was how, as he put it, JT assaulted a club door man. Now even Bungie went on to acknowledge he was found not guilty and had fought in self defence. yet he still used it as something to further stain his character, even though he wasn't found guilty of anything. Now, I consider Bungie a rational person, but when rational people start listing things for the sake of it, it comes across as a bit sad. I mean, by that same logic, Redknapp (a sports personally I dislike) is a tax dodger, even though he was found not to be.

Redknapp is a sport? :p

But I agree completely with your post, kinda highlights my viewpoint on the whole thing. I forgot that the racism trial was next week.

Kyoufu

I have to admit, South Korean plastic surgeons are top notch.

I saw a before/after image of Lee Dae Hae. Oh man, she was not looking too good before.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
That's great news for you! How many titles do DCU have? All I really know about DCU is that Freddy Adu used to play for them and he was meant to be the best thing ever.

We have four won four MLS Cups and four Supporters' Shields (Most points in the regular reason, which should determine the champion). Adu is unfortunately our most famous player. Ryan Nelsen is probably the biggest name people would recognize. He played for us for years and was our captain.

faridmon

I slept shortly after I posted that comment, Sloosha. Update me on AE? anything else happened that is big? Is Tokido playing the knockout stages?

My point is more so that most of the JT hatred comes from off the field scandal, which personally, as a football fan I don't concern myself with. Whether it's in regard to players I like or dislike.

Using Rooney as an example (who I don't particularly dislike). When I heard about him banging old prostitutes, I really couldn't care less. When you then get a bunch of football fans going on about it, it really stinks of a bunch of women gossiping over their latest issue of Heat magazine.

Of course many players do terrible things off the pitch, but I'm not going to pretend like it concerns me or makes me think any less of that person as an athlete. The athlete aspect being the part of their character which does concern me.

I support JT as a footballer in the team I support. I'm not trying to be his mate. So why people get upset about the things he does, or any player does (unless it's on the pitch), really goes over my head.

As a bonus gripe. It also seems that people who are publicly disliked seem to get more shit attached to them than even they deserve. For example, I remember somebody asked why JT was so disliked. Bungie come on with a big post listing all JT's transgressions (seemed slightly obsessive since as a Chelsea fan, I had even forgot about some of them). Anyway, one of the things he listed was how, as he put it, JT assaulted a club door man. Now even Bungie went on to acknowledge he was found not guilty and had fought in self defence. yet he still used it as something to further stain his character, even though he wasn't found guilty of anything. Now, I consider Bungie a rational person, but when rational people start listing things for the sake of it, it comes across as a bit sad. I mean, by that same logic, Redknapp (a sports personally I dislike) is a tax dodger, even though he was found not to be.
I guess that's fair enough if you dont care about his off the pitch behaviour but it's unrealistic to expect the same of everyone, and I don't think that's being bitchy or gossipy. We're people, people care about how other people behave and even more so when it's something dear to them.

Whilst I am uncomfortable with football fans making sweeping judgements about people they have no relationship with...it would be tough to put aside everything you hear about somebody when they have done so many seemingly bad things. That's just normal I think.

As a United fan, much as I will support and back the likes of Rooney and Giggs..I can't really being myself to admire and respect them the way I once might have. They have done some shocking things and if they were my family or friends I would be disgusted with them. Of course they're not, but they've gone way down in my estimation. I won't support them the same way I once might have, people who do things like that don't deserve that sort of love and adulation, they're dickheads and should be rightly called out for it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yet everyone likes Mario Balotelli.

Viva, this guy is the only one worthy of your love:
LlCry.jpg

GOD..that's not how you do it Scholes!

GorillaJu

I guess that's fair enough if you dont care about his off the pitch behaviour but it's unrealistic to expect the same of everyone, and I don't think that's being bitchy or gossipy. We're people, people care about how other people behave and even more so when it's something dear to them.

Whilst I am uncomfortable with football fans making sweeping judgements about people they have no relationship with...it would be tough to put aside everything you hear about somebody when they have done so many seemingly bad things. That's just normal I think.

Somewhere, there's a line drawn, and when you're on the wrong side of that line, you've done enough to warrant personality judgment. JT crosses so far over the line that it isn't even worth debating where he crossed it.

He can't help being a
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif

Kind of. I personally don't really like him. I appreciate the entertainment he provides, but I wouldn't say I like him. When it comes down to it, he's just an attention whore, while JT is an antagonist like no one else.

dc89

Crazy goings on. There's clearly more going on at Preston than meets the eye, but even on the face it it looks like Westley is painfully out of his depth. Preston are a good club that deserves better. I know they have financial issues, but Westley looks to be approaching the situation with a very small time manager attitude.

It's disappointing for Preston because League One is going to be wide open this season. With all due respect to the division, the 3 sides who got promoted last year were head and shoulders above the rest of the league apart from United. With those 3 sides gone and United crippled financially, with all of their best players either sold, likely to be sold, likely to leave for nothing or in prison, there's a real chance for the rest of the division to step up. Preston will be incredibly disappointed if they're not one of the clubs in the running to take advantage of that.

Yeh there is something going on that's for sure. They've been on a downward spiral since they were wound up by HMRC and then bought out by Trevor Hemmings.

I think at one point he was having to put in the best part of £500k a month to keep it going as it just makes no money. He did say that has to stop though.

Tbf to Balotelli, I don't know all the facts but I don't think he has done things which are as close to unforgivable as you're going to get on personal and moral levels like Giggs, JT and Rooney have.

He does silly and foolish things. Those listed above have just...I don't even know how they get to a stage where they live lives like that.

TrueBlue

I don't dislike JT because he's a JT off the pitch. Footballers being JTs outside of football is nothing new.

Kneeing Sanchez at the Barca game though, that's just typical JT. Only a JT would do that during a big game.

Anyway I don't think I can hate Chelsea as much as I used to since Torres is still the man with the golden gun, and Hazard looks phenomenal.

Oh good, I'm glad your overzealous hatred of my club is dampening a little. :p

Kyoufu

One thing Chelsea really need to do... is expand their Stadium. There's literally zero atmosphere at SB and for a club that's so successful they should be a bigger draw than their current capacity.

edit:

Danny Simpson going to Southampton 27k a week.

We really need some first team signings now. :/

What happened with the Battersea Power Station bid? I heard they were unsuccessful. Really hope they get it, would be awesome.

They were outbid and I think that was the end of that.

qindarka

Banned
He's not a racist 31 year old JT though.

Calling him a racist is uncalled for as long as he has not been found guilty. You may well have your pleasure in a few weeks time.

And you claim that you hate Terry only for his on pitch behaviour. Yes, the Sanchez incident was stupid but he has rarely let Chelsea down in the past, being sent off only three times for them in all these years (with the first time being particularly harsh). I don't see how his actions on the pitch warrant such hate.

JT's worst on pitch moment, for me as a United fan anyway, was when he spat on Tevez in the CL final. I was always surprised more wasn't made of it, I guess it was just lost in the drama of the game. That's a properly disgusting thing to do.

It's funny cos I now have no time for Tevez :D But even then, spitting on somebody...jeez, how low can you get.

Ashes

Banned
Calling him a racist is uncalled for as long as he has not been found guilty. You may well have your pleasure in a few weeks time.

And you claim that you hate Terry only for his on pitch behaviour. Yes, the Sanchez incident was stupid but he has rarely let Chelsea down in the past, being sent off only three times for them in all these years (with the first time being particularly harsh). I don't see how his actions on the pitch warrant such hate.

To be unfair to JT, he is one of the players awfully close to merging off field and on field matters. ;)

Eh, it matters to me when a player is a nice bloke off the pitch.

I like Mata, for example, because he's a lucid, funny, intelligent, seemingly even-tempered guy who cares about books, history, culture, Taylor Swift.

It only makes sense that I care when, on the other hand, a player is a total prick off the pitch.

I see where you're coming from, though. A bit.

As a United fan, much as I will support and back the likes of Rooney and Giggs..I can't really being myself to admire and respect them the way I once might have. They have done some shocking things and if they were my family or friends I would be disgusted with them. Of course they're not, but they've gone way down in my estimation. I won't support them the same way I once might have, people who do things like that don't deserve that sort of love and adulation, they're dickheads and should be rightly called out for it.
Don't get me wrong, when I see a player, like Mata as Salazar said, who comes across as a nice bloke I respect that he seems like a fun, interesting and down to earth person. But that said, when I watch him on the pitch and he's playing well, I'm not sitting there thinking, not only is Mata a really good player, but he's a really top guy! I've watched quite a bit of stuff on Mata from various Chelsea TV interviews and what have you, but I rarely talk about how great he is, nor do I think about it often.

Similarly, I know JT has done many a terrible thing, as has, to a lesser degree, Rooney and Giggs etc, but when I watch them that's not where my mind goes. My mind doesn't go there after the game either. And just like I don't talk about Mata being a top bloke all the time, I don't feel the need to talk about a bunch of Premier League shaggers and all their wrongs. But even more importantly, when they do another terrible thing, I don't feel like it's worth while to start dragging up all the old crap they did too.

Like really, how ridiculous is it that a bunch of people actually dragged up all the mans past wrongs because they were upset that he lifted a trophy in full garb? Even though all the other suspended players did it too (although that goes unnoticed... by choice).

It is ridiculous for sure but that's just football fans I guess, people are held to different standards and the better and higher profile ones ever more so.

Nature of the beast.

The continuous JT bashing does get tiresome and tedious...but yeah, I lay the blame more so at JT's feet than at those of football fans. There are countless examples of high profile players who don't get the same treatment, and I think there's a reason for it...because they don't give people the ammunition.

Slizz

So jealous of the guy in the pickup thread who got literally a brand new GameCube, complete in box for £1.99.

Friends and I recently brought out my friends old GC. Smash Bros Melee all day.

Def jealous of brand new controllers. Those old GC ones weren't made to last the punishment of SSBM.

Yesterday was 3 years to the day we sold Ronaldo.

Today I find out he used to make cups of tea.

Cristiano Ronaldo was amazing. If people knew what he was really like, they would feel very differently. He would turn up to every single interview and take the mick out of himself.

There was a receptionist who worked at United for ages called Cath. Ronaldo would walk to reception in the morning ready for the interview and say, ‘All right, Cath? Cup of tea?’ and he would actually go and get her a cup of tea. He was dream to work with.

What next. Why did you leave us Ronnie, why :(

Yen

Vaguely PR-ish:

Paul Rogers ‏@PaulRogersLFC
Was lucky enough to spend last 5 days at Melwood working with @FoxSoccer on their six-part @LFC series. Here's 5 things I learnt this week..

1. Lucas so happy to be back in full training, he's like a kid at Xmas. On exercise bike with Carra, Carra said he's 1 of our best players

2. Joe Coles is one of the most popular players amongst staff at Melwood - particularly canteen ladies. Always says hello to everyone.

3. New training regime is very different to recent years. All about very quick passing on mini-pitches with goalkeepers fully involved

4. The last man at Melwood on Friday @ 7.15pm when I left was the boss. He was first in @7.30am. His Fox interview was like hearing Shankly

5. Having been present for every minute of the @foxsoccer filming of the series so far, it's going to be absolutely amazing viewing.

For those asking, 'Being Liverpool' will begin being shown around the world - including UK - during 2nd week of Sept. actual channels TBC

With regards Brendan Rodgers, I can't say enough good things about what I've seen and heard from him - as boss & person - on and off camera

TrueBlue

What happened with the Battersea Power Station bid? I heard they were unsuccessful. Really hope they get it, would be awesome.

One thing Chelsea really need to do... is expand their Stadium. There's literally zero atmosphere at SB and for a club that's so successful they should be a bigger draw than their current capacity.
They were outbid and I think that was the end of that.

Huge shame, the concept art was amazing. Kept the iconic design while giving it a Chelsea feel. One thing about the atmosphere, I think it's no worse than at Old Trafford or the Emirates. All comes down to the fans.

Remember when Anderson vs Lucas was actually a discussion?

Premier League (3): 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
Football League Cup (1): 2008–09
FA Community Shield (1): 2011
UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Life isn't fair sometimes.

I've yet to take to Rodgers being our new manager. I loved Rafa, couldn't stand Hodgson, and loved Kenny from the start because of his history and the guy he was taking over from. I grew to be indifferent about Kenny's potential sacking, and desperately wanted Rafa back, so maybe that's going against Rodgers on some subconscious level. Hopefully when preseason starts I'll begin to find Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool Manager to be synonymous terms.

Remember when Anderson vs Lucas was actually a discussion?

Premier League (3): 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
Football League Cup (1): 2008–09
FA Community Shield (1): 2011
UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Life isn't fair sometimes
It shouldn't have been though...different positions...

The funnier one was Anderson vs Cesc. "And he shitssss on Fabregassss"...indeed...gotta get rid of all those pies somehow.

Also that list of honours reminds me how many of our players don't have an FA Cup. Need to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom