• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

Mancini is trending on Twitter for the most hilariously surreal reasons.

Russian 'rumours' saying he's signed to coach national team

Slizz

Federer vs. Murray tomorrow. Is the GBR contingent in here confident in Murray?

Gotta say I'm pulling for him, it'd be so huge if he won the Wimbeldon....

Also, I know Viva is going to be watching tonight.... I hope Silva destroys Sonnen.

Arnie

Wow. Preston North End players call the PFA in after 8 of them received a text message from Graham Westley telling them to stay away from training. Banned Newspaper are claiming this is the message sent:

"You are one of the 8 players that I expect to have left the club by the start of the season. Accordingly, as you have been told, you will be joining a special training routine during pre-season and will not be included in the 1st team squad training. Your training programme begins on Tuesday July 10, not July 3. I will send more details nearer the time. You are free to meet prospective employers between now and then. Please inform me before you attend any meeting. Do not attend the cub training ground and do not go abroad. You may be required on the same day to attend a transfer meeting. Details for July 10 will be with you in due course. In the mean time, please keep following the pre season work you were given. GW"

the players who he wants rid of include Coutts and Hume who are considered the clubs best players.

The guys an arse. In January he said "I've had to tread around some of the most mediocre standards I have ever seen in my life."

He's brought in 12 players since the end of the season.

They are going to get relegated.

Alright I'll weigh in on this one, not as a Preston fan but as someone who for obvious reasons hears and sees a lot of discussion about the subject.

When I heard about this last night I was shocked, but it's par for the course with Westley it seems who is a bit mad. Obviously with the comment about 'most mediocre standards' he has ever seen, coupled with the amount of insane transfer dealings this summer it's clear to deduce that he was pretty appalled with the squad he inherited last season. And perhaps rightly so.

DC, you're quick to big up the likes of Coutts and Hume, but these are people who stood by whilst the club were relegated, and were people the club needed to step up last season when the clear aim was promotion. They didn't. Talk from people I know who have season tickets is that these players underperformed for the club, and didn't give their all, so forget their pedigree with the club, they should be gone.

I don't agree with the manner in which he's done it; it's clearly showing a lack of empathy and bordering on psychotic, but I understand the guy's motives. He's come to club with great expectations and he's inherited a limp, lazy, losing squad full of whiney players. These are guys who moaned and revolted when he asked them to take up yoga. They are paid professional footballers, if the manager wants them to take up some new health regime you accept, and then see how that improves you as a footballer.

I think the club are right to be shipping out all the old under performers and bringing in all this fresh talent, and I hope Westley succeeds to show those spoilt players what they've missed out on. It's clear that the ones Westley's kept in his plans are those that worked hard and gave everything.

As for Richard Wright, it's nothing crazy or outrageous as you suggested DC, it's simply him not settling in the North West because his kids are at school in East Anglia and he didn't want to uproot them. After a couple of days he already realised that he couldn't be away from them for such a period of time and it takes a brave man to admit that now, and not wait until it could become more of a problem.

GorillaJu

Yenrot that stuff from Paul Rogers all sounds really good. I'm not sure our new manager is going to have an impeccable first year, but I know he'll be given time and I know he'll have us where we should be.

Soooo the new Leeds United shorts....

vwNJs.jpg

What the fuck.

Federer vs. Murray tomorrow. Is the GBR contingent in here confident in Murray?

Gotta say I'm pulling for him, it'd be so huge if he won the Wimbeldon....

Also, I know Viva is going to be watching tonight.... I hope Silva destroys Sonnen.
Lot of British people hate the Muzza. I'm pulling for him though, big time. Love Fedbot and it'll be hard to see him lose but come on Andy this is your moment, it would be massive for him and for tennis in this country.

That said, I doubt he will do it. Federer looked awesome against Djoker. Murray needs to find an extra gear or two at least. I just hope for a great match though, not had many this year at Wimbledon.

And u mad? Sonnen is going to get this shit done once and for all. Medium, rare.

Yen

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
For those asking, no truth in reports #LFC are currently in talks with Bologna over a deal for Gaston Ramirez.

Hmm. Duncan Jenkins and the Irish Examiners GAA correspondent disagree. I am beginning to doubt Smith knows anything.

Arnie

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
For those asking, no truth in reports #LFC are currently in talks with Bologna over a deal for Gaston Ramirez.

Hmm. Duncan Jenkins disagrees. I am beginning to doubt Smith knows anything.

More importantly for Liverpool Greg Stobart from Goal, a man who's found a bit of redemption professionally in recent months has an exclusive that Liverpool are leading the chase for Sturridge, preparing a £10 million bid, and that he's one of Rodgers' top targets.

Couldn't be happier with that. He's the player I want most, above all the targets mentioned so far, even Ramirez.

Oh, and I believe Jenkins more than Smith. We know Jenkins has a legitimate source, we're just trusting Smith because he works at the BBC.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC

Hmm. Duncan Jenkins disagrees. I am beginning to doubt Smith knows anything.
I don't think many if any of the BBC reporters are ever on the ball when it comes to this stuff. I don't doubt the genuine nature of his information (like I do with Ian McGarry for example), just I reckon his information is old or recycled. They hardly if ever have the lead of any football stories when it comes to transfers.

More importantly for Liverpool Greg Stobart from Goal, a man who's found a bit of redemption professionally in recent months has an exclusive that Liverpool are leading the chase for Sturridge, preparing a £10 million bid, and that he's one of Rodgers' top targets.

Couldn't be happier with that. He's the player I want most, above all the targets mentioned so far, even Ramirez.
I believe anything Stobart says now. He's just got everything right lately. Bungie showed me the light.

Slizz

Lot of British people hate the Muzza. I'm pulling for him though, big time. Love Fedbot and it'll be hard to see him lose but come on Andy this is your moment, it would be massive for him and for tennis in this country.

That said, I doubt he will do it. Federer looked awesome against Djoker. Murray needs to find an extra gear or two at least. I just hope for a great match though, not had many this year at Wimbledon.

And u mad? Sonnen is going to get this shit done once and for all. Medium, rare.

I don't think many if any of the BBC reporters are ever on the ball when it comes to this stuff. I don't doubt the genuine nature of his information (like I do with Ian McGarry for example), just I reckon his information is old or recycled. They hardly if ever have the lead of any football stories when it comes to transfers.

Lol not really. I like that Silva threw a dirty shoulder at the Weigh-in yesterday. There is no way that fight goes 5 rounds again. This is probably the first fight in a while that Silva will go in hungry and that means he trained hungry(hopefully).

EDIT: American Gangsta = Sonnen's nickname? Really? In what universe?

Arnie

I believe anything Stobart says now. He's just got everything right lately. Bungie showed me the light.

Yep, same, and for that I'm getting unduly excited about the prospect of Sturridge.

Might finish off season 2 of Breaking Bad, the show's got really good.

Oh and I'll post my article about Spurs, AVB and Benitez again if anyone fancies giving it a read and some feedback.

I thought Gaston Ramirez had practically zero technique but bags of speed.
Nope. Bags of speed, technique and physicality. He lacks in composure and consistency though. He's very Uruguayan in that regard.

GorillaJu

I thought Gaston Ramirez had practically zero technique but bags of speed.

You've got it reversed. His dribbling is exceptional, but he's not particularly fast.

Also, I really, really don't want Daniel Sturridge, but I will admit that he's a good player who could fit our system as SOON AS HE LEARNS HOW TO PASS THE FUCKING BALL.

Salazar

Oh and I'll post my article about Spurs, AVB and Benitez again if anyone fancies giving it a read and some feedback.

I'm rather anti-Rafa, but I agree firmly with the general argument.

Spurs are cooked.

My blog is entirely free of football. I should probably try and write about it.

I thought it was the opposite.

morsel said:
You've got it reversed

Arnie said:

Ptchah. I WILL BE PROVEN CORRECT.

Arnie

You've got it reversed. His dribbling is exceptional, but he's not particularly fast.

Also, I really, really don't want Daniel Sturridge, but I will admit that he's a good player who could fit our system as SOON AS HE LEARNS HOW TO PASS THE FUCKING BALL.
Sturridge should be playing centrally, up front, in the channels. He's quick, strong, tricky and a class finisher. Look how well he did for Bolton in that six month period where he was played centrally.

I couldn't care if he didn't pass the ball as much as the players behind him, with Sturridge Liverpool would finally have a player who can beat the back four with genuine pace and runs in the channel to finish consistently.
Gaston Ramirez. What a cool name.

His middle name's Ezequiel.

I'm rather anti-Rafa, but I agree firmly with the general argument.

Spurs are cooked.

My blog is entirely free of football. I should probably try and write about it.
Cheers, I think it's a fairly bullet proof argument in that Benitez, on experience alone, should've been given a look in. I think Spurs' situation perfectly fits that which Benitez craves, and I believe they've missed a huge opportunity.

Post your blog, I'd give it a read.

Lol not really. I like that Silva threw a dirty shoulder at the Weigh-in yesterday. There is no way that fight goes 5 rounds again. This is probably the first fight in a while that Silva will go in hungry and that means he trained hungry(hopefully).

EDIT: American Gangsta = Sonnen's nickname? Really? In what universe?
That shoulder was a proper dick move. All for the hype and Silva's been aggressive enough lately, that was one step too far.

This fight better deliver. Last few UFC events have really disappointed me. These two genuinely hate each other though so should be great. Really pulling for Sonnen just because I think he's hilarious. Silva is just amazing though so always a pleasure to watch him (when he actually cares!)

Not sure how I should plan my night though. Gets underway 3am here, been getting to bed about 1am since I moved back home so yeah...might have to nap in the day or else I'll fall asleep!

Slizz

That shoulder was a proper dick move. All for the hype and Silva's been aggressive enough lately, that was one step too far.

This fight better deliver. Last few UFC events have really disappointed me. These two genuinely hate each other though so should be great. Really pulling for Sonnen just because I think he's hilarious. Silva is just amazing though so always a pleasure to watch him (when he actually cares!)

Not sure how I should plan my night though. Gets underway 3am here, been getting to bed about 1am since I moved back home so yeah...might have to nap in the day or else I'll fall asleep!

I have a feeling this event will make up for the past 2-3 cause they were just terrible. The Brazilian UFC recently was OK but still. Dana has wanted this for a while, a long while, the main event will def deliver unless the ref fucks it up.

Arnie

http://oxlitfest.blogspot.com.au/

Have never actually decided what it is for. Diaries, essays.

I'm enjoying this Sal. This paragraph in particular impressed me, as someone who doesn't do literary dissection of any sort:

Salazar said:
The shimmering of the sun across Lake Wobegon, Keillor reflects in Lake Wobegon Days, would make “quite a picture if you had the right lens, which nobody in this town has got”. And this infiltration of community into the representation of the town—its dual effacing of the author, of its own merits—is what, in its quiddity and familiarity as social gesture, gives Wobegon what Michael Rosen calls the ‘sense of place that exceeds the idea of setting’ - because it is not so much place as it is act.

That's some good work.

On another note, Rafa's latest blog for the Independent revealed something fascinating about the Spanish passing style that I did not realise:

Rafa blog said:
Q You wrote a lot during the tournament about adopting part of the Spanish coaching philosophy and that we have the talent. Could England aspire to play like Spain? John Grafton, Market Drayton, Shropshire

A England can take the best bits from Spain but there are some practical reasons why they shouldn't think that copying my country's style of play is the answer. It might sound like an unusual thing to say but the difference in the weather between England and Spain is one reason why this country can't copy that one. It is no coincidence that Spanish club sides who most resemble England's – Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao – are those from the north of my country, where they're used to the weather we're getting now. The pitches cut up and it's better to play the long ball. It's why Howard Kendall worked at Bilbao and Sammy Lee at Osasuna.

Remember, in the central and southern areas of Spain it's too hot to be always running and that makes players want to keep the ball and pass it; to "take the paint off the ball" as an opposing coach once said to me about the Castilla team I was coaching in the mid-1990s which was passing, passing so much. Other countries seem to forget that some lower Spanish league teams don't even have much grass to train on because it is too expensive to keep it wet and lush in the hot times.

That's how it was for me when I was playing for Linares, in the Jaen province deep in Andalucia in the 1980s. We trained in sand much of the time and it was 42 degrees when I first came on as a substitute against Ceuta. I ran so much that the manager had the idea of me "holding the baton" in midfield for my next game, against Cordoba. I thought I was going to collapse at half-time. That's one of the lesser-known reasons behind the passing culture which is nothing new in Spain. So you'll understand me when I say that there are some things England shouldn't totally copy.

Arnie

Kalou's gone to Lille, thank fuck. I was increasingly nervous about the rumours suggesting someone at Liverpool saw something promising within him.

Goddamn Half Life can be a bitch at times

*walk through door, get shot in the back immediately by enemy standing next to the door*

How was I supposed to know?

I miss watching football games. the Euro wasn't able to fill that gap unfortunately.

Salazar

Grazie.

To be fair to Sampdoria, I wouldn't have played Macheda either. He'd be an impact sub for my indoor team, at best.

Hoping for news on the Berba front. Surely one of these clubs putting around in that pub league in Germany wants a bit of that.

GorillaJu

Having watched Forbrydelsen for awhile, and as someone who doesn't speak any European languages, wouldn't know what language Danish is, hearing someone speak it. It sounds similar to German to me, but vowels sound distinctly Norse. Like a combination between Swedish and German.

By the way this show is great. I love when mystery/crime shows don't rely on stupid "epiphany" moments all the time that are too circumstantial (this show has them but they're reasonable and within context), or on ridiculous technology that no one really has access to. I'm on episode 15 of 20 (of the first season). Can't get enough!

Arnie

Having watched Forbrydelsen for awhile, and as someone who doesn't speak any European languages, wouldn't know what language Danish is, hearing someone speak it. It sounds similar to German to me, but vowels sound distinctly Norse. Like a combination between Swedish and German.

By the way this show is great. I love when mystery/crime shows don't rely on stupid "epiphany" moments all the time that are too circumstantial (this show has them but they're reasonable and within context), or on ridiculous technology that no one really has access to. I'm on episode 15 of 20 (of the first season). Can't get enough!
That's one of the reasons I loved the show so much too, the case is slowly pieced together through competent detective work, rather than bullshit technological deus ex machinas. And note that the second season is even better, it's not got as many episodes so it keeps the same sort of premise but runs at a much faster rate.

GorillaJu

Very early season 1 spoilers

When the scene happens where Nanna's parents see the photos of her from the crime scene, with her fingers broken and all beat up, and that Sigur Ros-sounding music starts up... man, what a moment! Think that's when I really started to appreciate the show.

And later spoilers (up to ep 15)

I really feel for the family, but as of episode 15, I hate what the mother has become =\

Kyoufu

Cisse and Ba not in the Senegal squad for Olympics. Nice. Just need some quality first team signings and roll on pre-season.

edit: Just read Real are offering Higuain in part-exchange for Modric......... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

K1LLER7

They might have offered Sahin first and Spurs probably refused. Good move for Tottenham if true and they get Higuain.

Really don't understand why Madrid would want Modric. He wouldn't get ahead of Ozil in an attacking role and i'm not sure if he can play a defensive role like Khedira and Alonso.

^ top scorer: Torres & Bebe

Hixx

Swear the fuck down GAF is becoming a literal shit tip for spoilers. What I imagine will be a big plot point in Mad Men just spoiled for me
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom