• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Liverpool score no goals against low level opposition despite shooting so much.

something something small club mentality ;)

but seriously, you buy Dempesey and you might as well call it quits on trying to fit Carroll into the team. It's the whole Torres/Drogba/Lampard situation all over again (except even an injured, horrifically out of form Torres is still probably a better goalscorer than Carroll); no way he gets any kind of service, let alone the quality ones he needs to build his confidence and become a half decent striker.

still, since most people seem to be ready to give up on Carroll (I don't blame ya!) this could just as easily be a pretty decent stopgap for a cheap price. Not like Downing's crosses were connecting anyways...

GorillaJu

Man woke up to a lot of news this morning. Hope the Borini link is true: I really wanted him a few weeks ago when we were linked initially. Also, if it's true then Luke Edwards was right, and everyone who jumped on his back for printing an article about Borini a few days ago look pretty bad!

The changes at Anfield sound great. In particular, red nets.

Carroll out on loan or sold? I doubt it. We'll be too thin up front with Kuyt gone. If we do get Borini then that's someone who needed anyway. On that striker comparison algorithm I posted last week, Borini and Jovetic stood out as the best young strikers in Europe. Really hope it comes off.

Arnie

He has no right to cry here considering his club just bought half of Europe.

They bought two players. It's more than most, which makes it seem like they're flying ahead, but they could just be getting their business in early. Don't be fooled by pure numbers either, any number of factors could interfere with this foreboding symbol you're building Spurs up to be.

Also, if it's true then Luke Edwards was right, and everyone who jumped on his back for printing an article about Borini a few days ago look pretty bad!
I feel a bit bad about that. Young journalist gets a genuine scoop and I vilify him. Luckily I kept it to this forum and didn't go on a Twitter/comment rampage about his integrity. I'm sure he doesn't mind getting such a notable win on his career.

Kyoufu

Remind me to never attend muppet season again. Watching other clubs spend billions on top stars while we can't even afford a free transfer.....

:'(

GorillaJu

It wasn't you I was referring to Arnie. Luke Edwards got so much shit on RAWK. poor guy lol. If he ends up being right, then major props!

Arnie

Giving up on 35mil striker? lol

Just because he cost £35 million doesn't mean he's a £35 million striker.

He'll never be worth that money, but the only way he's going to get anywhere near that bracket of player is if he plays at a club that encourages and celebrates his strengths. Under Kenny, that might've been the case, under Rodgers, no fudging way.

It wasn't you I was referring to Arnie. Luke Edwards got so much shit on RAWK. poor guy lol. If he ends up being right, then major props!
Ah, didn't see that. I posted the link here and gave the guy an earful because at the time it did indeed look like lazy journalism. I was fucking astounded when the Borini link re-emerged through credible sources like Smith and Barrett.

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
Oscar just talked to Globo Esporte, he said: 'I will stay [at Internacional]". #CFC #Internacional #THFC

jon cotterill ‏@Pitacodogringo
Internacional president, Giovanni Luigi, says the club has not received an official bid for Oscar

:)

Isn't this the original TIA sign?

j4X4AfGhONoUR.jpg

blood-diamond-20061114055421112.jpg

Lightning

Banned
Remind me to never attend muppet season again. Watching other clubs spend billions on top stars while we can't even afford a free transfer.....

:'(
The bigger thing will be hoping no one leaves. People coming in is a bonus... We're losing RVP and the signing of Giroud and Podolski doesn't make that feel any better to me...

Just because he cost £35 million doesn't mean he's a £35 million striker.

He'll never be worth that money, but the only way he's going to get anywhere near that bracket of player is if he plays at a club that encourages and plays to his strengths. Under Kenny, that might've been the case, under Rodgers, no fudging way.
Sorry mate. It was more tongue and cheek. It was more a jab at the silly fee that Dalglish and Comolli came up with.

Carbonox

Random question:

If I were to delete a load of games/DLC/whatever that I downloaded via PSN, would I be able to re-download them perfectly fine from my transaction history?

This worked with the Catwoman DLC for Arkham City when I decided to replay that game, so am I right in assuming that the same applies to everything?

Would be a bit stupid if you couldn't but just wanted to be 100% before I start getting trigger happy and emptying most of my PS3. It seems I may have to buy a new one as most of the time when I turn it on, it beeps twice before turning itself off. Before the moment it turns off, the light goes yellow. I have to turn it on multiple times before it stays on. I'd imagine this is the beginning of the end?

Kyoufu

Stop whining. You have more Cisse wonder goals to look forward to this coming season.

Let me whine dammit :(

Random question:

If I were to delete a load of games/DLC/whatever that I downloaded via PSN, would I be able to re-download them perfectly fine from my transaction history?

This worked with the Catwoman DLC for Arkham City when I decided to replay that game, so am I right in assuming that the same applies to everything?

Would be a bit stupid if you couldn't but just wanted to be 100% before I start getting trigger happy and emptying most of my PS3. It seems I may have to buy a new one as most of the time when I turn it on, it beeps twice before turning itself off. Before the moment it turns off, the light goes yellow. I have to turn it on multiple times before it stays on. I'd imagine this is the beginning of the end?

Yeah it's all in your download history. You can delete anything you want.

Arnie

How does a Blood Diamond screenshot relate to that image?

Oh and I see you enjoyed Spiderman; me too. Garfield was really good.
Sorry mate. It was more tongue and cheek. It was more a jab at the silly fee that Dalglish and Comolli came up with.
You're more than entitled to laugh at that, thought you implied something else. Was a silly fee born out of desperation, and for what it's worth coming out of my last exam, on little sleep, after hearing my hero had fucked off to some soulless plughole of a club, seeing we'd broken the bank for a genuinely exciting British talent cheered me right up.

eh, their central midfield is decent (if not quite up to the standard of everything else). I like Meiereles a bit more than most, I guess, if only because he strikes me as a very similar player to Moutinho. all around midfielder, can link up a bit, tackle, pass, shoot, run around a bit but doesn't excel at any of them. Meireles, Mikel, Ramires is a pretty solid trio of holding/linking midfielders. and Lampard completely reinvented himself in a great way this past season as a holding-type midfielder, without compromising his goal threat, so I think, for now, they've got that covered. It's older than ever, but... Roman will rebuild that part of the spine next summer I think.

as for the defense, Ashley Cole's still around and maybe David Luiz will compensate for Terry's complete lack of pace.
assuming JT is still around at the club after his trial
. It's not a particularly well balanced side (I take it Mata and Marin are going to be benched?) but it should be more than enough to win the league.

Now all they need is a manager!

Can't see that happening other than when Mata needs a bit of resting. Marin I highly doubt was ever bought as a sure starter, from the (admittedly very little) I have seen of Oscar he seems to also be more than capable of playing out on the right, so guess he will be fighting for that position with Marin and taking over for Mata whenever he needs resting. Think Lampard will be the big loser in this, even with his great matches in CL you can't look past that he's 34 now. Would imagine the midfield looking like this

--------Ramires------Mikel------

Oscar--------Mata----------Hazard

So Lampard, Marin, Meireles, Essien (who will probably never find his old form again) and De Bruyne as possibilties on the bench that seems pretty good, there will be lots of matches for most of them but players like Lampard and Meireles (who can for all i care fuck off) might start seeing themselves not starting the most biggest.

Random question:

Yes, but IIRC there is a limit to the number of consoles you can download stuff to.

Sounds like the YLOD.. Would you get it replaced if it crapped out on you? You could just pull the HDD out and transfer it to the replacement. It'd save the hassle of downloading everything again.

Best fucking thing about that new Spider-Man movie? Seeing Lizard terrorizing NY, duffle bag in tow. That was some 'Venom driving a truck'-style silliness and I loved it.

On the subject of films - Repo Man, anyone?

Carbonox

Yes, but IIRC there is a limit to the number of consoles you can download stuff to.

Sounds like the YLOD.. Would you get it replaced if it crapped out on you? You could just pull the HDD out and transfer it to the replacement. It'd save the hassle of downloading everything again.

I'm just going to go ahead and buy a brand new PS3 with a much bigger HDD. I've had mine for several years and it's a 40gb that I've had to battle with (space-wise) all that time.

Time to upgrade to a 160gb slim methinks! That's still 189 quid though. Fucking Sony and not announcing a price cut...

Kyoufu

I'm just going to go ahead and buy a brand new PS3 with a much bigger HDD. I've had mine for several years and it's a 40gb that I've had to battle with (space-wise) all that time.

Time to upgrade to a 160gb slim methinks! That's still 189 quid though. Fucking Sony and not announcing a price cut...

Why not just buy a 500GB HDD for the cost of a packet of crisps?

edit: oh your PS3 is packing it in? Get a slim then :/

Carbonox

Why not just buy a 500GB HDD for the cost of a packet of crisps?

Cos my current PS3 is fucked as per my above posts. :p It still works but it occasionally throws a yellow light out signalling the end of its life is near, I guess. I'd rather just get a new console. Then in the future should I need to, upgrade that HDD to a bigger one.

I'm gonna try and hang in there as long as possible though. Maybe next month or September look at buying a new one.

In unrelated news, looks like Steve Harper might be going to Birmingham as a player coach.

Arnie

I wish I used my PS3 more; I had to physically dust the thing down after removing it from it's box just to play Uncharted 3.

Lightning

Banned
I wish I used my PS3 more; I had to physically dust the thing down after removing it from it's box just to play Uncharted 3.
What did you think of Uncharted 3? Game cops a lot of flak here on GAF but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part personally.

jtb

Banned
Can't see that happening other than when Mata needs a bit of resting. Marin I highly doubt was ever bought as a sure starter, from the (admittedly very little) I have seen of Oscar he seems to also be more than capable of playing out on the right, so guess he will be fighting for that position with Marin and taking over for Mata whenever he needs resting. Think Lampard will be the big loser in this, even with his great matches in CL you can't look past that he's 34 now. Would imagine the midfield looking like this

--------Ramires------Mikel------

Oscar--------Mata----------Hazard

So Lampard, Marin, Meireles, Essien (who will probably never find his old form again) and De Bruyne as possibilties on the bench that seems pretty good, there will be lots of matches for most of them but players like Lampard and Meireles (who can for all i care fuck off) might start seeing themselves not starting the most biggest.

I thought Hazard came to CHelsea because they gave him, among other things, assurances that he would be played in his preferred position? I always thought he was more of a central number 10-type rather than a winger... that's what lead me to believe that Mata and Hazard cannot coexist. same with Oscar... don't tell me Di Matteo is going to pull a Wenger and stick all of his talented playmakers/strikers out wide! FWIW, I thought Hulk would take up one of the winger roles, leaving the second free for Mata/Marin/mystery buy (Schurrle?)

What did you think of Uncharted 3? Game cops a lot of flak here on GAF but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part personally.

Was never going to be better than 2, and needed to be at least as good as 2 to avoid the over-the-top criticism that was thrown at it. Very, very good game in its own right, but not as good as Among Thieves

Re: Carroll. It was the height of stupidity to sign him for £35million, and it'd be stupid to get rid of him now unless we received an offer that was too good to turn down. No loans.

Ergh, hardware failures are the worst. I don't even want to think about my consoles going bust. ..

Do you box your consoles up generally or are we talking uni halls, etc. here?

Lightning said:

It's a pretty decent series, but I've never enjoyed the way enemy encounters play out. Particularly in UC3, it felt as though the game was throwing 3-4 heavily-armoured guards at you every time. Strangely enough, I actually quite enjoy the games' multiplayer efforts. It's great being able to actually appreciate the way the gameplay moves without thirty henchmen aiming at your forehead.

GorillaJu

Was never going to be better than 2, and needed to be at least as good as 2 to avoid the over-the-top criticism that was thrown at it. Very, very good game in its own right, but not as good as Among Thieves

Re: Carroll. It was the height of stupidity to sign him for £35million, and it'd be stupid to get rid of him now unless we received an offer that was too good to turn down. No loans.

Agree on both points.

I thought Hazard came to CHelsea because they gave him, among other things, assurances that he would be played in his preferred position? I always thought he was more of a central number 10-type rather than a winger... that's what lead me to believe that Mata and Hazard cannot coexist

That is what a lot of people thought after the shitty English medias decided to spin a quote in all kinds of ways, 80% of the stuff that was written has been well documented to be either mis translation or just the trash journalists writing whatever they wanted to. He has said several times now that he will play wherever Chelsea needs him to. There isn't given out any promises like that, certainly not to a 21 year old and I highly doubt Chelsea will prefer Mata on the wing to Hazard. While Hazard might prefer the playmaker role himself, he got all the qualities to be a winger and has played most of his matches there for Lille, it certainly won't be playing him out of position, just look up any random video of him and it will no doubt be him on the wing.

Hulk seems to sadly not be happening. Porto wants too much.

Arnie

I really enjoyed it up until a certain point near the end, which I'm sure you're aware of. It didn't start as well either. The game picked up for me when you meet Elena.
Do you box your consoles up generally or are we talking uni halls, etc. here?
I boxed it up a while ago to bring it back from Uni, didn't feel the need to take it back so it's been left boxed up for about a year.

Messi

OMG Breaking Bad just keeps getting more awesome. I trust these showrunners so much it is crazy. I have to stop myself watching another episode because if I do it will be 3am and ill want to watch another.

Lightning

Banned
I really enjoyed it up until a certain point near the end, which I'm sure you're aware of. It didn't start as well either. The game picked up for me when you meet Elena.
Oh yeah, I'm aware. And yeah, game didn't start well, story was inconsistent (poorly told imo) and I hated the fact that the enemies were bullet sponges. Other than that great game.

I have it as equal to Uncharted but I'm a great minority with my view on that.

Messi

I'm mid episode but I hope Heisenberg shoots Jessie's girlfriend in the fucking face.

lol

Where you up to?

Season 4, Ep 7? where spoilers obviously
hank finds gus's prints in the apartment

==

Man, its a shame Valencia can't hold onto their talent because of how fucked up the league is:

but lol
At9Il.jpg

Also respect benzema:

ZUTne.jpg

She might be a junkie. But a damn hot one, would.

I agree.

Arnie

Her and Jessie just got the money. She's blatantly going to steal it when Jessie next takes heroine. I hope we see a Heisenberg/Jessie linkup to kill the JT.

And she's not even that hot IMO.

jtb

Banned
lol

Season 4, Ep 7? where spoilers obviously
hank finds gus's prints in the apartment

==

Man, its a shame Valencia can't hold onto their talent because of how fucked up the league is:

but lol
At9Il.jpg

Also respect benzema:

-snip-

I agree.

poor David Silva :(
not really, guy's overrated. Mata 4 lyfe.

Messi

Oh man, strap in. It's one hell of a crazy ride from here on out!

I had to stop, it was too late :/

Her and Jessie just got the money. She's blatantly going to steal it when Jessie next takes heroine. I hope we see a Heisenberg/Jessie linkup to kill the JT.

And she's not even that hot IMO.

You should spoiler that for others man :/

One of my fave eps of the show so far

Arnie

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahauahauahahahahasha

And that concludes the breaking bad series 2 episode 12 live blog.

Fry

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahauahauahahahahasha

And that concludes the breaking bad series 2 episode 12 live blog.

Is that the one
Walt breaks into Jesse's house to collect all the meth?

Carbonox

So I deleted 99% of the shite on my PS3 and now have 25GB out of 37GB. What the fuck is the other twelve gig? :lol

Oh and and that gal from BB is so much hotter in that E4 show with he dude from Dawson's Creek in it.

Kyoufu

So I deleted 99% of the shite on my PS3 and now have 25GB out of 37GB. What the fuck is the other twelve gig? :lol

Saved for the OS etc. Happens with every drive.

40GB is definitely too low though. Especially with all the cool PS+ freebies lately.

You should have put money on Van Gaal like I did haha. Funded my phone purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom