• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Got banned once 5 or so years ago for getting into a pointless game sales discussion after the mod asked us to stop.

I learned after all that time lurking, that arguing in the gaming discussions is a bad idea. I have less than 20 posts on the gaming side, yet 1000+ in OT(mainly football thread lol).

Yeah I sort of support Chelsea indeed. But the thing is I also support Barcelona.

Ahh I see Fady, this is your way of hiding incase of more bans. :p Just kidding, WriterGK, Fady also supports Chelsea and Barca. :lol

Chelsea I have never seen live at Stamford Bridge. But my mother goes to Barcelona a lot for her work so in the past I ve seen 2 matches in Camp Nou. There was this one in 1999 when they still have al those dutch player(I am a dutch man myself) like Kluivert, Frank de Boer, Zenden and Ronald de Boer etc. They also had Luis Figo and he signed an autograph for us and they won 4-0 at home against Bilbao. And couple of years later when they were voting for there new president were Laporta promised to sign David Beckham they beat Malaga at home 2-1. When it comes to foreign clubs I really like a lot of football clubs but I love Barcelona and Chelsea the most.

Interesting, musta been weird watching Barca vs Chelsea all those times though.

Haha Laporta promising Beckham and getting Ronaldinho was the best mistake ever.

Thanks for sharing these Messi, wish we could have joined. Your current Olivia avatar is the best one yet IMO.

I was ready to post the pics(even more than Messi) then I realised Messi already posted the wedding photos. :(

Today is the birthday of the best striker in the world.

9O8Vs.jpg

FootballFan

Xavi is getting old. Messi is a spring chicken.

No I know Messi is still young, only 25, what I meant was it is just odd, considering it seems like he was a 16 year old debuting not that long ago.

Xavi still has time to play imo, cant say the same for Puyol unfortunately. Hope he doesn't get injured as much this season.

50 million dicks is what I'd suck for a fricking first-team signing this summer.

We've signed NOBODY.

You said yourself this is your first summer transfer window, don't worry. If there's a PL club at the minute who's transfer policy really shouldn't be doubted it's ours.

50 million dicks is what I'd suck for a fricking first-team signing this summer.

We've signed NOBODY.

Neither have Liverpool, and we'll be fucked without new signings. Our wings are a joke, our midfield is shallow and reliant on a player coming back from a 7 months layoff, and a 32 year old with increasingly worrisome injury troubles. Then you've got a striker who can be one of the best strikers in the league, and normally plays like the worst.

Kyoufu

You said yourself this is your first summer transfer window, don't worry. If there's a PL club at the minute who's transfer policy really shouldn't be doubted it's ours.

Yeah I'm just worried we'll be settling for lesser players. Like, De Jong is/was our #1 target, but failing to sign him means we have to seek someone lower on the list. I know there's no guarantee of quality when you sign a player but still. De Jong looked really good. :(

Neither have Liverpool, and we'll be fucked without new signings. Our wings are a joke, our midfield is shallow and reliant on a player coming back from a 7 months layoff, and a 32 year old with increasingly worrisome injury troubles. Then you've got a striker who can be one of the best strikers in the league, and normally plays like the worst.

Liverpool have lots of money though. Unfortunately we don't ;(

Yeah I'm just worried we'll be settling for lesser players. Like, De Jong is/was our #1 target, but failing to sign him means we have to seek someone lower on the list. I know there's no guarantee of quality when you sign a player but still. De Jong looked really good. :(

Indeed he did but to be honest, now that we're not losing Ba and Cisse to the Olympics and the ACON (most likely) we really don't need to spend 10 Mil on another striker atm. If Ba really doesn't fit back into the side in a goalscoring role then we'll get one in January.

We still need a better back up though. I think we need a goalscoring central midfielder and we need to strengthen our defence. Debuchy just got back from holiday so we should hear something about him this week and we can't get Douglas until the end of August.

In Pardew and Carr we trust.

Liverpool have lots of money though. Unfortunately we don't ;(

Sell us Cisse for £40million and you will

Also, I have a feeling that FSG were willing to give us two transfer windows with large funds and then have us ride it out. Unfortunately the deadly duo seemingly wasted that money, and have left us with a squad that's no better for the money spent, and less money for future use.

Suarez - 22m
Carroll - 35m
Torres - 50m
Net spend (I know) - 7m (would've been 22m if not for unforeseen Torres transfer request)

Coates - 6m
Henderson - 18m
Downing - 20m
Adam - 7m
Enrique - 6m
Various - 24m (estimate)
Net spend - 33m

Then in January, we didn't spend a thing despite the fact that we'd already showed that we needed a defensive midfielder, even if only until the end of the season. We also should have been in for a striker at that point. And now we're going for players who either have a lack of interest in them, are currently unfilfilled potential, or are coming off the back of one truly good season. We're not testing anybody's resolve with huge wages as you'd expect a rich midtable team to do, and have in fact already lost one major target to a club offering better wages. Whether an increased wage offer would have made a difference is irrelevant, as we never even tried to increase our offer.

The waters become muddied though when you take into account Kenny's lack of judgement which was in evidence throughout last season. I honestly couldn't tell you whether funds were witheld in January, or if Kenny truly believed that the squad we had was enough to see us through to the end of the season in an acceptable fashion. Either way, it wasn't, and both the team and Kenny paid a high price

Kyoufu

Indeed he did but to be honest, now that we're not losing Ba and Cisse to the Olympics and the ACON (most likely) we really don't need to spend 10 Mil on another striker atm. If Ba really doesn't fit back into the side in a goalscoring role then we'll get one in January.

We still need a better back up though. I think we need a goalscoring central midfielder and we need to strengthen our defence. Debuchy just got back from holiday so we should hear something about him this week and we can't get Douglas until the end of August.

In Pardew and Carr we trust.

I can't think of a goal-scoring midfielder that we could afford unfortunately. Sad times.

Sigurdsson would have been perfect. :(

Sell us Cisse for £40million and you will

That's only 5 million more than Carroll and he's way better than Carroll!

Salazar

:( guess we were never really in for him.

Manchester United are stepping up their £30million bid for Sao Paulo midfielder Lucas Moura amid competition from Inter Milan. A United delegation is due to arrive in Brazil on Tuesday to open talks after the 19-year-old's father spoke to Inter on Friday. United want to tie up a deal ahead of the player joining Brazil's Olympic squad.

Inter are reputedly offering fuck all.

GorillaJu

Lucas Moura should go by Da Silva, or Moura. There's only one "Lucas."

And I cant fucking wait to see him playing again.

So do we think Borini is actually happening? BBC saying its on, but have they called anything else right so far? Sigurdsson was called correctly, I know that much.

Salazar

Looking forward to seeing him and Oscar at the Olympics but can't see us offering anything close to 30m. I'll be happy if we get a new LB and thats it for the summer. A CM would be a bonus.

Pretty much. But those Inter bids, if legit, are piss-take standard.

- Internacional will deny the deal untill it happens.

- Last friday Internacional's president Giovanni Luigi met Chelsea's representatives, where it was said they wanted 25m euros and Chelsea accpeted.

- Internacional's president will fly to London next 25, July to finalise the deal.

- There are quotes from Oscar's agent where he confirm Spurs also want the guy, but he believes Oscar will accept Chelsea offer because its a bigger club.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/internacional/noticias/0,,OI5887164-EI19378,00-Agente+ve+Oscar+perto+do+Chelsea+ingleses+confirmam+venda.html

Mmm getting excited for new season.

rodvik

Doesnt surprise me if Rodgers wants Carroll gone/ on loan. Andy just doesnt fit in with Rodgers style. Doesnt mean Carroll is a bad player though (not worth his fee obviously but still he is not a bad player) under the right system he could do very well. Its a shame English players get paid so much in the PL, I suspect carroll could thrive in the bundesliga.

GorillaJu

Whoa, did you guys see this? Apparently Liverpool's official website added another name to the squad list, then deleted it immediately. Someone was quick and got a screenshot though.

iP4sqfrrRLSPi.png

Honestly I could see this happening. He wouldn't be on too high of wages, at least compared to a City player like Wayne Bridge, Jo or Adebayor. He's definitely the type of player we need (a goalscorer), and pretty good with the ball, too. Maxi probably put in a good word, since they play for the same national team.

The more I think about it, the more clear it is that this is the signing Rodgers says people would get excited about (not sure myself, still think he'll have to prove himself to the fans). Bring on the new season!

Edit: just got told by my source that he is in fact paid a lot of money, but would be willing to take a pay cut. Says he rates Rodgers and wants a challenge. Hmm... think there's something in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom