• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

A bunch of articles I've been reading, mainly Beckenbauer pretty much publicly urging Bayern to get Khedira. I doubt Madrid is willing to give him up, but yeah I'm just wondering if Khedira is as great as he's being made out to be.

lahm for khedira would be great :D

i don't see khedira leaving, lass will probably go

I have to ask, as an MLS fan with not much knowledge of soccer around the world...whats he concesus on cursing at games?

I had a dad talk shit to me tonight in front of my own son cause I told Marco Di Vaio he was a piece of shit.
I was borderline about to sneak a bitch in the back of his head.

So is this a common occurence in Euro soccer?

I hear swearing all the time and it's completely accepted, can see maybe some people get annoyed on the family stands but even doubt that, seeing how many of the chants involves swearing. The other guy sounds like a JT.

yeah, I said shit...in the supporters section.. post game as players left to head down the tunnel.

Its been an issue with MLS for a while, people getting banned or kicked out for using curse words. I mean yes, homophobic, racial slurs and F bombs are waaaay out of bounds but to get uppity over the word "shit" or the infamous "You suck asshole" which is almost like a sin to say to some people.

Is fuck really way out of line? Can't wait until a few years when the rivalry gets stronger in the MLS between teams just to see how those parents reacts when supporters are calling each other fucking whores and what not. Also puta barcelona is the best chant ever.

I hear swearing all the time and it's completely accepted, can see maybe some people get annoyed on the family stands but even doubt that, seeing how many of the chants involves swearing. The other guy sounds like a JT.

Is fuck really way out of line? Can't wait until a few years when the rivalry gets stronger in the MLS between teams just to see how those parents reacts when supporters are calling each other fucking whores and what not. Also puta barcelona is the best chant ever.

No, to me fuck isnt out of line..I would scream it all fucking day at the opposition if I wasnt scared of getting kicked out by security and having my season tickets taken away.

This was last season in New England
During Saturday night's New England Revolution match against the Chicago Fire at Gillette Stadium there was a disturbance in the general admission section known as "The Fort." Sections 142 and 143, where the team's most hardcore fans sit, was the site of a walkout and multiple arrests after TeamOps and security had several altercations with supporters, allegedly started over the repeated use of a particular chant. The debacle centers on the Supporters' Groups use of the "You Suck A**hole" chant whenever an opposing goalkeeper takes goal kicks.

and Colorado this season..
Colorado Rapids fan Teddy Montoya received a letter this week advising him of a lifetime ban from the club’s DSG Stadium. The letter was signed by Kroenke Sports Enterprises employee Peggy Miller.

The letter says that the ban will ‘not be lifted at any point in time.’
The reason Montoya was given for his lifetime ban was “verbal assault.”

A friend of Montoya’s, Angel Accardi, witnessed the ensuing confrontation:

“Teddy said fuck at a bad call, the security dude was like chill out this is a family friendly venue, then this Gabe guy comes and tells him quit being a dick, I was like you’re telling him not to cuss but calling him a dick?? He looked shocked I told him I want a picture of his badge in case it goes further, he said ‘Go ahead here.’ then put it in my face and then took it away when he seen I was taking one for certain.”
A KSE employee named Austin, on behalf of the ban letter’s author Peggy Miller, called Montoya and told him that his ban was not just for the San Jose incident.

Austin told him that multiple incidents had been recorded in a file on him, a file kept unbeknownst to Montoya.
If the thought of a football club keeping secret files on individual supporters is not startling enough, Montoya observed that the secrecy means he has been charged and found guilty on previous occasions without his knowledge.

He says he was deprived of the right to give evidence or even know there was an accusation. Yet these incidents are permitted to contribute to a situation where he is one F-Bomb away from a life time ban.

“If I had known I was on two strikes in a three strikes and you’re out legal system, yeah .. I might have watched my behaviour more. But no-one told me. It’s like a player is one yellow card from being sent off but he doesn’t know. We’ve got a right to know what is being written about us, especially if it’s being used to judge us.”

Zabojnik

yeah, I said shit...in the supporters section.. post game as players left to head down the tunnel.

Its been an issue with MLS for a while, people getting banned or kicked out for using curse words. I mean yes, homophobic, racial slurs and F bombs are waaaay out of bounds but to get uppity over the word "shit" or the infamous "You suck asshole" which is almost like a sin to say to some people.

This is why we can't have nice things. A football stadium isn't a fucking theatre, as much as some people are trying to convince themselves and others that it is. As far as I'm concerned and as far as insults go, 'whatever happens in a stadium, stays in a stadium'. Racism and homofobic remarks have not place in it or anywhere else, obviously, as doesn't violence, but everything else is part of the fucking game. If you can't handle it, stay at home and watch football on TV.

Then again, I follow italian football, where swearing is the absolute norm. :D I probably wouldn't start shouting "la mamma di Gattuso e' una puttana!!!" if I were in a family sector, but everywhere else, especially in the curva, you should expect that and more.

Zabojnik

Just noticed there is also an MLS specific thread. Any reason some post in here and some post in there?

MLS = Major League Soccer. This, on the other hand, is a thread about football.
I'm joking, kinda. Dunno, I guess it's more practical to have two separate threads.

Lightning

Banned
How Beckham got left out of the Olympic GB team is betond me. Such a great insult and Pearce should be held accountable for it because it was such a bad decision.

For what he has done for the game in England he deserved to go and he still has the touches. Just couldn't believe it when his name wasn't there, you idiot Pearce.

GorillaJu

tumblr_m7439jj5bi1rrpwlpo1_1280.jpg

Does anyone see an Eric Cantona resemblance here with Borini? Here's hoping he becomes as important to us as Cantona was to United in the mid-90s (but without the flying kick at an opposing fan :p)

GorillaJu

Cantona was exceptional. We desperately need a striker that can have a similar effect on our team. Not certain that Borini is the answer but I'll get behind him 100%. In terms of playing style, he's definitely the type we need: good acceleration, crafty on the ball and most importantly, knows how to find the net.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tuttosport: Buffon to renew until 2015. I'll wait for the official confirmation :p

So I guess the chances of Juve signing a top striker are getting slimmer and slimmer. As it stands now, RVP is either staying at Arsenal or moving to City, Dzeko is staying at City or moving to Milan, likewise Tevez. Suarez is staying at Liverpool (although for some reason I'm expecting Barca to bid for him), Cavani at Napoli, Falcao at Atletico - not that he was ever within our reach anyway. I'm still hoping for Destro, but it seems that Roma are now in the lead, having just sold Borini for a decent amount of moneyz.

That leaves Jovetic and Damiao. I have a feeling Jojo will either decide to stay in Firenze for one last season a la Cavani or end up in the PL. I suppose we could tempt the Viola by offering Giovinco + Matri (or Quagliarella), but I'm pretty sure neither would be particulary happy with such a transfer. So we're back to Damiao, which would be a disappointing signing to say the very least. What makes the whole situation even more frustrating is the fact that Marotta & Paratici have been on fire otherwise. It's just the goddamn striker we're missing. :/

Matri refused Viola already :( His market value is the highest of our strikers which is why I assume we're trying to offload him in a swap deal?

I can't believe I'm going to say this but, let's keep Gio! YouTube Gio got me all excited again, we need someone to directly compete with lazy-Mirko. No one should be a guaranteed starter except for Pirlo and Buffon.

I guess that leaves Quagliagol.

bjaelke

Mirror claims we could get Dempsey for €7.5m as soon as Wednesday. They lost their last bit of credibility when they gave Adam the nick name Cheeky Charlie.

sohois

Duncan Castles believes Tottenham are cooling off Moutinho as porto refuse to sell for anything less than £30m.

I figured that would be the case, given that Chelsea were reportedly ready to offer a similar amount last season when AVB first arrived, seemed strange that the price would have dropped at all since last season

dc89

City Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has said the club are going to adopt 'a manageable' transfer policy this summer.

"“You’re going to see improvements but it’s going to be done in a very manageable way, let me put it that way."

No more £100M spends! They were fun whilst they lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom